Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros

bconsidine, May 10, 2013

Jameswoody, Dec 26, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

picked this one up while visiting misery or missouri. poured a decent amba color into my glass with decent head and carbonation. the carbonation slowed and the head dissapated. decent smell of lightly roasted malts. tasted good but expected a bit more hop finish. some lacing down the glass. i would like a bit more hop finish and this would really shine.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

p.s. had this on tap a day after the bottle. same.

giblet, Jul 14, 2008

fizzyted, Dec 21, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper color, clear with great head and lacing.

Super-biscuity, with a little yeast character that really is different for this style. Subtle stale hops.

Roasty and sour , very bready.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and over-carbonated for the style.

It's good, but for such a hyped-up beer, I dunno.

bboven, Oct 18, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Fat Tire is a well-established name here in California, tho its accessibility is next-to-naught outside of the Western US.
We pour it on-tap at my workplace, and it always gives a nice, creamy head. The color is a clear amber, with red overtones. Not much scent other than that of malt, but admittedly I usually taste this before I sniff.
The selling point of this beer is the roasting & toasting of the malts New Beligium adds to their signature brew. I personally can't get enough toasted malt in my beer, which is what keeps me coming back for more. There is some hop presence, enough to please purists, but not overpowering enough to keep this from being a great "session beer". The carbonation also sticks with it enough through the end of a pint to keep the first sip as enjoyable as the last.
All the NB products I have tried have been great, but keep coming back to the Fat Tire due to its exceptional drinkability & malt flavor...making this my go-to beer in bars & restaurants which don't go out of their way to please beer geeks like myself.

Natural510, Jan 06, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

BEERschlitz, Oct 27, 2013

ConradKenney, Feb 18, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer is a nice clear honey amber deep gold, very beautiful, and builds a creamy white head, about two fingers high. It hangs around and produces nice lacing.
The smell tells of delicate flowery hops, some mild malt and some sweet notes like honeycomb cereal.
Tasting the beer, I was surprised how mild it was. Delicate bread, cereal and grain flavors up front, being followed by mild flowery hops which bring mild fruit flavors like apple and peach into the palette. The end is a well balanced combo of all the flavors. It is a very mild and light flavored beer, but well balanced and by no means watery or characterless. To me this was a very drinkable beer and I enjoyed it.

Hopfenpeter, Sep 10, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

jewellrunner, Aug 07, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

emwild12, Aug 09, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pouring from a bottle into a goblet, it pours a nice honey-amber color with 2 fingers thick of foamy head (looks like insides of a biscuit). The head dissipates to nice cling and some edge lacing within 1-2 minutes. Smell is of biscuits, celery, and earthy hops. To tell you the truth, the smell reminds me of beef & vegetable stew w/ biscuits. Kinda odd to me! However, when taking a sip, I notice what I smelled is exactly what I taste. The grainy malts and the biscuits and vegetables comes out right away. I never knew beer could taste like dinner...hell, i thought it was dinner! Anyways, feel is mainly light, tingly carbonation on the sip that follows through til the swallow. Slight alcohol on the finish, but nothing exciting. Definitely a beer you should try, but I can only take the taste so much. However, very interesting to say the least!

Fish113d, Feb 01, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

A: glowing amber color, very light-clear golden. Lace and head, not to much to talk about

S: dominant toasted malt nose, caramel and cherry sweetness

T: toasted grains and biscuits malts. Sweetness makes me think of lightly toasted coconut paired with caramel. Big and burly toasted amber overall with no hops, or a dash of them, as my tongue tells me

M: carbonation jabs away at smoothness, toasty finish and lighter body are nice

D: to tip a few would be no problem, but it lacks in overall complexity, but thumbs up for a huge toasted malt flavor if that is your thing.
When I lived in Michigan, New Belgium was rare and had sort a elusive stature. Now that I can get it, its average so far...I have yet to drink other brews, but this amber is average

Magpie14, Dec 04, 2008

TrojanWheels, Jan 18, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best before 8/18/13.

Appearance: Light copper with great clarity and lots of visible spastic carbonation. Frothy off-white head.

Aroma: Nice malted barley and light earthy hops.

Taste: I haven't had Fat Tire since getting into serious craft beer. I'm surprised by how light it is. Underneath the slightly watery exterior there is some semi-sweet amber malt flavor. A nutty/toasty character that is pleasing to the palate. There is a fair amount of bitterness on the back end (20 IBU?) but no real hop flavor. A decent amount of flavor packed into 5.2% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Between light and medium in body with a lot of carbonation. Good drinkability and sessionable.

FInal Thoughts: Definitely got better further into the drinking experience. Almost like a Pale Ale/Amber hybrid. Would I drink it again? Yep.

JamesMN, Jul 15, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

LukeGude, Aug 12, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this a while back out in Las Vegas... needless to say I couldn't tell you a thing about it.

A- Poured into a sam adams perfect pint glass... a nice off white part fizzy part foamy head that disappears leaving some spider webbed lacing clinging to the glass. Beer is a crisp amber color with decent activity

S- Has a bitter hoppy aroma with a doughy/nutty backbone

T- Not sure it's worth all the hype it gets, but pretty good. Has a little sweetness in the beginning mixed with some hops that linger through the entire experience. Finishes with that lingering hoppiness and a nutty backbone

M- A watery mouthfeel... light bodied with medium carbonation

D- Very drinkable... that is easy to drink. I don't think I would go out of my way to get it

CHEERS!!