Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,853 | Hads: 7,605
4.69/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My favorite go-to beer. Excellent flavor, full-bodied, and great however you take it (can, draft, bottle). Whether you need something refreshing for a hot summer day or a nice accompaniment to a fine meal, Fat Tire is the kind of brew that is appropriate for every situation. (275 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is your typical amber ale, softer on the palate and not too bitter in taste. An average brown beer, Fat Tire will give you a gentle kick but leave your palate crisp, just like a good ale should. Goes great with a casual meal, and doesn't leave you screwed over the next day. Definitely a daily pint, this amber ale makes one experience the flavors of the beer without a wicked hangover, and it won't dehydrate like a super-hoppy brew. If you find this around, and enjoy a good American brew at lunch, I would surely recommend it! (539 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

I've heard from many people how great this beer is. So when I finally made it to the West Coast I had to find it. While in Cali I came across it and I was very pleased with it.

After the first sip I was hooked! Its a great beer to sip slowly. I am kind of picky when it comes to beer but this one will be one that I will have again. (335 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I've been drinking this beer for a long time...probably since it was introduced over 15 yrs. ago. It is one of the only beers that I can say I am sick of drinking. Not that it's terrible, but it has a sweetness that wears on you after a while.

It has good qualities, and east coasters love to drink it when they venture out west, but for any seasoned western craft beer fanatic, I'd choose just about anything else. (418 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +32.6%

Poured a deep red/orange mix. Small head of around 1/2 inch. The smell is strongly of wheat or grasses. Tastes of biscuits and malt. Nice strong flavor. Overall this is a really nice brew. Something I could drink a lot of and always enjoy it. I know a lot of people put this one down but I think there is a lot going on here that makes it one of the top beers around. (367 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -37.6%

I had this beer on tap at a pizza joint. It didn't live up to the hype.

Appearance was dark, golden brown

Smell was hardly there

Taste was a little to sweet, even for an amber. It lacked complexity that I enjoy in many microbrews.

Mouthfeel was nice, with good carbonation.

Drinkability was fine, but the sweetness made it hard to finish. I will refrain from ordering this beer again. (389 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

The magical part of this beer is the way that you can smell exactly what you will be tasting. A creamy, malty aroma embraces a carmel/sugar/whatever-sweet-candy-you-can-think-of overtone. Fat Tire is a friggin' bouncy castle in a bottle. The taste is so malty and creamy that these flavors remain consistent throughout anything you taste afterwards. There is a distinct sweet aftertaste, pretty much candy, inside of that friggin' bouncy castle, inside of that bottle. Overall, all your worries come back at the bottom of the glass. This is easily one of the most adaptable beers out there. (590 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my .25 liter Heineken glass. A semi hard pour left about 1 finger or less of head which hung around for a little while. The beer is a true amber or copper color. It looks nice.
The smell of this beer is fairly complex, with some grassy straw characteristics, a little bit of malt backbone and a nice hop profile I'm guessing is a cascade variety. The nose is a hint at whats to come, but not overpowering at all.
Giving this beer a first taste and holding it in my mouth for a second the prickly carbonation gives way to a mild maltiness, some light citrus flavors and that delicious hop finish. Everything in the nose of this brew is detectable in flavor, and the flavor is really good. No single ingredient is overwhelming the other and I might even dare say this beer is a tad light, but it's balanced and very enjoyable!
The mouth feel of this beer is pretty watery. I would say it's the weakest point of this beer and may lead to it feeling lighter than it really is. It is however not enough to detract from the big picture.

Overall this is my new go to beer. It just started getting distributed to the Dayton Area in Ohio and I am now a big believer in it. I have constantly searched for another American Amber Ale style beer since Budweiser American Ale got discontinued, and this is my new replacement! No more money for A-B Inbev from me! Would recommend. (1,399 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

my girlfriend loooves fat tire..shes a consistent gin and tonic conniseur, but this is just about the only beer she will drink. i decided to pick some up tonight and i dont regret it.

i cant get over the smell and taste of this beer. just like the label says, its nice and biscuity. good malts and hops. i remember when i first had it it reminded me of burnt toast. almost like a burnt wood scent would taste, if you can imagine.

ive grown to really enjoy this beer. good if youre looking for an interesting drink. (522 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +26.2%

A "go-to" beer for many years. One that my dad, my wife, and I could all agree on and enjoy. Now that I am on the East Coast I find myself really missing it and comparing a lot of beers to it.
Ultra rich and flavorful without being thick or unctuous. Loads of malty sweetness and well-balanced hops. Close to perfection. A crowd-pleaser. (337 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

pours a really nice vivid red amber with a finger cloud/head with lacing. smell of toasted biscuits, malts, earthy hops with hints of fruits. light to medium mouthfeel with heavy carbonation.

taste of rich malts, toasted bread or biscuits and hints of fruits. i like the dry feeling after each sip. very fun to drink, not because of it's cool label however because it keeps my palate busy. a lot going on maybe it's the carbonation?

fun and easy to enjoy. (457 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +20.4%

A - One of the best looking beers I have poured in a while, very clear bright amber color, good carbonation, the head is very fluffy and takes on some of the amber color of the beer. Would look very inviting next to the fireplace in the winter.

S - Has a sharp hoppy smell which turns into a toasty smell. Good.

T - Tastes bitter and sharp on sipping, once it lingers for a moment the toasty biscuity flavor mentoned by others appears. The aftertaste at first is quite hoppy, but after a minute leaves the biscuit flavor. I liked it a lot, but being a fan of malt will help you enjoy this beer.

M - Crisp, refreshing, carbonated, not syrupy.

D - I was suprised that a beer with such a malty flavor would sit so easily on the stomach. Definitely sessionable. (761 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -57.5%

I've tried to like this beer on many occasions, but I just can't. It was actually hard for me to finish my last one, and I'm not one to like the idea of struggling to finish ANY beer. It's just way too malty and soapy for my tastes. A shame, too, because I happen to like a lot of other New Belgium styles. (306 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this beer is very approachable, beautiful color for a red, love the toasty texture. wish I could spread butter on the biscuit like beer. poured with a nice lacy head. love it, this is an ale that can stand up to many that claim to be better. Stewart's Brewing Company's Red is a bit sweeter but compares nicely. (311 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Served for a 22 oz 650 ml... 1 pint

good carbonation with a lot of bubbles two fingers of good foammy head.Smell of bread, malts and citrus hint hoppy... sweet. in the mouthfeel the exact apropiate flavors balanced , sweet and malts work perfectly...

didnt like the aftertaste, perhaps a little metalic in your tounge....

very good drinkability...

good beer! (362 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

Had my first taste of this at a Suns game on tap. It sat well in the frosted glass and was nice going in. The surroundings probaly made it taste better to me than it actually was or the bottle version just doesn't taste as good. The bottle is good, but would call it an average beer. It's definately enjoyable and is an easy pick in most resturaunts when just the bud or miller selections are available. (403 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -35.6%

A- Good, clear orange/amber color poured out of a bottle into a pint glass. Head starts out around one finger white foam. Quickly degrades into foamy film.

S- Smells sweet, yet hoppy.

T- Slightly sweet, slightly hoppy taste. Reminds me of a more flavorful PBR, but not much else, to be honest.

M- Very light beer. Carbonation is higher, as many lighter ales tend to be. Feels a little watery for my tastes.

D- Not the worst beer I've ever had. For a "craft" beer, I expected more flavor and less of a watery feel. Past that, it's decent, and if you can find it cheap, pick it up. If your choice is this or bud of some sort on tap, go with this. (648 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer is my go to. It has a great taste and is easy to get anywhere for the reasonable price. I have had this on draught as well and its even better. If you are an ale fan this is one to try or retry. I would like to try and make my own personal brew similar to this one. I would not mind if they changed the flavor to make it just a bit more hoppy. (353 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%

Nice head and amber color. The finish is somewhat weak and lacking any complexity to the flavor. Overall it is a good "quench your thirst" beer or "goes with pizza" beer, but nothing exceptional. That said it beats the mass marketed brands hands down and is an easy pour for a hot day. (285 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

I love this beer, they nailed it on taste/color/smell (in my opinion)
I've even brewed the knock-off/clone recipe of this, it comes close but still not it (I'm working to perfect that though)
the first time I ever had it was when I was visiting a friend in Fort Collins and I've been sold on it since
Great stuff (gave it a 4.5 because it doesn't beat the fresh taste as it was in F.C.CO) (388 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Wonderful Amber Ale. This style is by far my favorite and New Belgium nails it with a biscuity smell that I crave.

Appears darker than your average ale, strong, sweet biscuity aroma. Taste is crisp, wonderful after taste. Overall, one of the best amber ales available. (269 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Good brew but kinda basic.

Appearance: filtered, see through, brown colour. Finger and a half of smooth off white head. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Huge biscuit malt scent, strong caramel backbone, and well blended hops.

Taste: Identical to the aroma. Biscuit malt, caramel, and a bitter hop after taste.

Mouthfeel: Lacklustre. Carbonation bite on the tip of the tongue, medium to light body, with a somewhat dry finish... but not really.

Overall: Pretty standard beer. Not for those with adventure in their hearts, but more for those who want something simple to chill around the house with. (601 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

I first had this from the bottle and though it was a decent beer, it was nothing to recommend to a friend. Then I went to my local Irish Pub, with the intent of having a couple Guinness with lunch, and found they had this on tap. I ordered one.

The head was minimal, but the appearance was a nice amber. The taste had a bit of hop but finished sweet. I'd describe the flavor as hoppy bubblegum. Surprisingly, I liked it. It was much better on-tap than from the bottle. I liked it so much I had another and never got to my Guinness (Sorry Grandpa McBride). (557 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on draft in a prisoner glass. Pours a deep brown with good clarity. Head is dense with microbubbles and extra white in color. Smell is malty and nutty and taste is very similar and not complex. (200 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

I like a few of New Belgium's beers. Tried this one. YUK! Smells sour, tastes sour, and has a slightly metallic aftertaste. WISH I had not spent the $ on it, but I thought since it was a "standard" amber ale, it would be good. Will NOT buy again. (246 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing