Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

pDev: 30%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,880 | Hads: 7,763
2.01/5  rDev -44.2%

poured with small head that disipated immediatly. no lacing. the color is correct as an amber light to medium.

smells of boiling wort. like wet catfood. the malted barley really stands out.

tastes of malted barley. little to no hops except towards the end. were is the hoppy freshness they talk about on the lable?

light to medium carbonation seemed proper.

I can drink one but just not to my pallet. can't get passed the wet pet food sense of taste and smell. I'm sorry maybe I got a bad batch.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer has some sentimental value to me because it was my first New Belgium brew. New Belgium introduced me to the wonderful world of Belgian beer culture as well as the rapidly-expanding American microbrewing industry. Cheers to the NB. Anyway. This beer, while not their best, is a reliable one. I had my most recent one in a New Belgian snifter.

A- nice amber opacity. Some extra bubbles which linger on the edges of the glass, although not a big head.

S- malty hoppiness, molasses, maple syrup, chocolate, cough medicine.

T- very flavorful, lots of chocolaty maltiness, hoppy finish, but very smooth taste, not a hint of bitterness, but also not a sweet beer.

M- carbonated, almost nitro, silky, nice amount of faint hops lingering on the palate.

D- Very easy to drink, refreshing, goes down nice.

Thank goodness they finally started distributing to Southern California.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

This was my first exposure to locally distributed beers. Seems a bit lighter than most ambers, a fair amount of yeast is present. Very bready. Fairly bright tasting with a distinct flavor and relatively nominal smell. but theres much more to beer out here, as big a deal as it is. Still shining bright in the declining red beer market though. Easy drinking and easy to find.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

I drank a lot of Fat Tire in 1994 when I was living in boulder, Colorado. This Beer is hard to come by in Ohio, so when I have a friend going to Chicago I ask for a favor. This Beer is very drinkable, and the smell of cherry scones always come to mind. Hop heads will be disappointed because the malt is up front. This is a great intro Beer for people who want to delve into craft beer. Smooth, refreshing, very good!

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

A -- Amber brown color with a thick head.

S -- Toasty malt and a very light hop presence.

T -- Very, very balanced with neither malt nor hops winning.

M -- Clean finish that isn't very sweet, just nicely toasted.

D -- A good beer that I feel is somewhat overrated.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

First off let me say that this is my first beer review on this site.

A: Poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Pours a bright amber color with about an inch or so of off-white brownish head. Leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: I love the smell of Fat Tire. Smells of toasted hops, biscuits and light hints of chocolate.

T: Several people told me that this beer was overrated; I can't say that I agree. Tastes of toasted hops and biscuits. A bit malty, and has a very faint alcohol bite in the finish.

M: Not too heavy and not too light.

D: Pretty drinkable, but because of the price I can't say I'd recommend it as a session beer.

1.97/5  rDev -45.3%

I have got to tell you that I've had a fat tire on many occasions. And every single time I drink it, I feel like I'm drinking putrid lake water. I'm not sure what it is about this beer, but it's just horrible.

You're going to hear everyone rave that's is amazing belgian beer. OHHHH save me that crap. This is just tap water with a little wheat in it.

Anyone who likes this nasty beer needs to stick with their lite beers they get off on.

good nightnow!

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: beautiful red amber color, good head retention, a little lacing but not much

Smell: lots of toasty malt, with a little caramel

Taste: very similar to the smell. Lots of crackery, biscuity malt. Almost a little bit of a stale bread flavor at times, but overall nice.

Mouthfeel: smooth, good carbonation. The body is a little on the lighter side.

Decent brew. Maybe would have liked sweeter maltiness or more hop balance, something to improve the dry crackery-ness

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Clear honey
Hop and malt
Fast and lacy
Well rounded yet crisp
Malt, hops, more hops, malt, and hops.

Fat tire may be as close as it comes to a full-bodied pale ale. This beer is particularly well rounded and crisp--nothing extravagant, just well made. This is a great cross-over brew.

I wouldn't mind trying an unfiltered version, the only thing this brew lacks is yeast profile.

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A competent easy to drink beer. Even though it's a New Belgium offering, it's not as flavorful as, say, Abbey. I'd never buy Fat Tire to drink at home, but if I'm at a bar with a limited beer selection, I know that I can expect a decent beer from Fat Tire.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. In my opinion it's best when you can get it on tap, but still quite good in the bottle if served in a good glass. It had a slight biscuit taste. Overall, you can't go wrong with this beer, and to top it off, it's sold almost everywhere, which is nice when there's no other options except macro brews.

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Good American Ale. Just don't understand the fixation with
Hops. Everything today is over powered by them. That's why
I stay with the old school ales.

2.77/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Why oh why do I keep coming back to this beer? I used to love this in the 90s now it's just ok. I keep thinking that this is going to be the time that I like it again and I just don't. I love the companies mission, the clean air and the employee hugging but their beer over the past couple of years has been disappointing.

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

This well-crafted beer pours a beautiful medium amber with hints of brick red and a nice off-white head that laces well down the glass. A moderately malty aroma follows with notes of honey and nuts. This is a supremely easy-drinking amber with a good balance between malt and hops, and a pleasant smokey character. The taste is marked by flavors of nuts, wood, and a delicate splash of citrus, with a clean, crisp finish.

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Bright,coppery, sparkling very inviting.

S - A hint of spice, a just out of the oven biscuity aroma. Again inviting.

T - A simple moderate clean biscuity taste. Ever so slightly sweet caramel presence. A very pleasent toasted finish.

F - Full bodied, smooth and pleasing.

D - This is a very good, enjoyable beer.

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a beautifully clear golden amber, a little on the pale side perhaps, but with a nice thick foamy head. While the view is enticing, the aroma is underwhelming. If one really sticks your nose in there and takes a big whiff, you get the sweet, biscuity malt you would expect. Much the same can be said of the flavor, rather dry for the style, and more in a disappointingly bland way than a pleasantly drinkable one. While I can't say I didn't enjoy drinking this beer, I was happy to finish it and follow up with a more flavorful version of the style: my L.A. local Angel City Ale.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Apperance is a darker amber color kind of like an old brass door knob with a nice head that lingers for a short while.
Smell is good kind of a bread or biscuity aroma with some lite fruit or honey mixed in.
Taste very drinkable with a little bite wich is gone almost as soon as you notice it and replaced with a smooth finish.
Mouthfeel bread like I guess that's from the malt not much hoppiness. Smooth in the mouth not much carbonation.
Drinkability Very drinkable but not anything to write home about fills you up fast also.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

I first heard of this beer from a friend. Apparently it wasn't availabe in Georgia until recently (2009). It happened to be the "beer of the month" at the bar my wife works at so I got a pint on tap. I got a free Fat Tire glass too!

A - It arrived to me with one finger of white head that quickly dissipated. It was a translucent amber that wasn't completely clear. Had decent lacing on the glass.

S - Not much smell to it at all. I was struggling to pick out what I did which was some hops and citrus notes

T - I could taste malts though not the roasted kind, I did detect some "earthiness". There was some sweetness from the wheat and it finished with a hop bitterness.

M - Light body and very smooth. The finish was fairly dry from the hops.

D - Insane drinkability. The taste is pretty good and the smoothness will keep you coming back for more.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a chilled pint glass.

Appearance - formed a nice head before dissipating after about 5 minutes. The color was a nice hue of amber.

Smell - Not really much to smell after pouring. Possibly a little sweetness

Taste - Very small amount of bitterness at first sip, quickly balanced out by the sweetness of the malt.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly very smooth, with a medium amount of carbonation and a light feel. Very pleasant and easy to drink. If anything, it might feel a little too watery for my likes.

Overall - I was fairly impressed with this brew. Nothing spectacular, but it was a simple, easy, and drinkable ale that succeeds where others fail.

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Now that I live out in Washington (having moved from Michigan) certain beers are now available to me. Beers like the infamous Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing. Why not buy a 6 pack and give it a review.

Pour is a light amber with a medium amount of head that seems not to want to go anywhere. Mild lacing.

Smell is caramel, bready yeast, malt... grandmas musty attic.

Taste is nothing insane, but decent. Toasty with a strong taste of malt and bread.

I could drink a few of these. Nothing outstanding, but a decent beer none-the-less. However, I am told it tastes better on tap and in Colorado.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to an imperial pint.

Nice light brownish-red color with a 1/2 inch head with nice lacing.

Nice floral smell with hints of fruit and maybe a bit of caramel.

Tasted a hint of fruit, almost banana-like to me, nothing overbearing or overwhelming. Can taste the malt a bit and once again possible caramel.

Smooth brew, with a little carbonation feel and a bit of warmth when swallowing.

All in all a really great session beer as many others have said, nothing to bold, but not bland, just a really nice Amber Ale.

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%

I kept seeing this beer around and a few a my friends told me it was a quality brew so when I found a six pack for sale I had to pick it up.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my trusty Chimay goblet, very pretty bottle design with a blurb about the beer on the back.

A- Coppery red color, well developed head that fades to a good sized ring that lasts throughout, excellent lacing when poured hard.

S- Very floral hop aroma, almost rosy.

T- Well balanced between the malt sweetness and the hops, it has kind of a bready taste to it. I was a little bummed out by the taste after the amazing smell, but it's still good, I just expected more.

M- Overall, pretty clean, slight lingering taste from the hops.

D- Good, not stellar, but good. I finished the six pack and would consider buying it again it it was on tap.

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

A-Pours a nice head with a nice bit of lacing. Soft golden honey color with a bit of murkiness.

S-Has that yeasty, bread bread smell that overwhelms anything else. Slight hops with almost no malt.

T-The New Belgian yeast continues to dominate, the soft malt comes in more for this one, but even then, this beer doesn't scream amber to me.

M-Very pleasant, soft but complex flavors that allow the beer to sit well.

D-Fat Tire is a beer that I believe is brewed to be drinkable while not being overly impressive in flavor.

4.64/5  rDev +28.9%

This ale is one of my favorites because its readily avalible anywere and at a decent price. Although this batch has hardly any carbonation. Great copper color. Head pours thick but guickly fades. Smells a little like honey and malt. Tastes like sweet honey and has a biscut note to it. Overall this is definatly an ale to be consumed by a group.

4.01/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: True to it's style, amber. 1 finger head.
Smell: Biscuty with a nice sweetness. Pretty mild but pleasant.
Taste: Malty with a mellow sweetness, some citrus notes with a mild hop bitterness towards the end.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a balanced carbonation and a light lingering bitterness after you swallow.
Overall: A very nice and tasty beer, and a fine example of the style. Sessionable and certainly a repeater.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing