Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,866 | Hads: 7,685
3.73/5  rDev +3%

A - Bright,coppery, sparkling very inviting.

S - A hint of spice, a just out of the oven biscuity aroma. Again inviting.

T - A simple moderate clean biscuity taste. Ever so slightly sweet caramel presence. A very pleasent toasted finish.

F - Full bodied, smooth and pleasing.

D - This is a very good, enjoyable beer. (320 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a beautifully clear golden amber, a little on the pale side perhaps, but with a nice thick foamy head. While the view is enticing, the aroma is underwhelming. If one really sticks your nose in there and takes a big whiff, you get the sweet, biscuity malt you would expect. Much the same can be said of the flavor, rather dry for the style, and more in a disappointingly bland way than a pleasantly drinkable one. While I can't say I didn't enjoy drinking this beer, I was happy to finish it and follow up with a more flavorful version of the style: my L.A. local Angel City Ale. (584 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Apperance is a darker amber color kind of like an old brass door knob with a nice head that lingers for a short while.
Smell is good kind of a bread or biscuity aroma with some lite fruit or honey mixed in.
Taste very drinkable with a little bite wich is gone almost as soon as you notice it and replaced with a smooth finish.
Mouthfeel bread like I guess that's from the malt not much hoppiness. Smooth in the mouth not much carbonation.
Drinkability Very drinkable but not anything to write home about fills you up fast also. (527 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

I first heard of this beer from a friend. Apparently it wasn't availabe in Georgia until recently (2009). It happened to be the "beer of the month" at the bar my wife works at so I got a pint on tap. I got a free Fat Tire glass too!

A - It arrived to me with one finger of white head that quickly dissipated. It was a translucent amber that wasn't completely clear. Had decent lacing on the glass.

S - Not much smell to it at all. I was struggling to pick out what I did which was some hops and citrus notes

T - I could taste malts though not the roasted kind, I did detect some "earthiness". There was some sweetness from the wheat and it finished with a hop bitterness.

M - Light body and very smooth. The finish was fairly dry from the hops.

D - Insane drinkability. The taste is pretty good and the smoothness will keep you coming back for more. (855 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a chilled pint glass.

Appearance - formed a nice head before dissipating after about 5 minutes. The color was a nice hue of amber.

Smell - Not really much to smell after pouring. Possibly a little sweetness

Taste - Very small amount of bitterness at first sip, quickly balanced out by the sweetness of the malt.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly very smooth, with a medium amount of carbonation and a light feel. Very pleasant and easy to drink. If anything, it might feel a little too watery for my likes.

Overall - I was fairly impressed with this brew. Nothing spectacular, but it was a simple, easy, and drinkable ale that succeeds where others fail. (687 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Now that I live out in Washington (having moved from Michigan) certain beers are now available to me. Beers like the infamous Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing. Why not buy a 6 pack and give it a review.

Pour is a light amber with a medium amount of head that seems not to want to go anywhere. Mild lacing.

Smell is caramel, bready yeast, malt... grandmas musty attic.

Taste is nothing insane, but decent. Toasty with a strong taste of malt and bread.

I could drink a few of these. Nothing outstanding, but a decent beer none-the-less. However, I am told it tastes better on tap and in Colorado. (599 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to an imperial pint.

Nice light brownish-red color with a 1/2 inch head with nice lacing.

Nice floral smell with hints of fruit and maybe a bit of caramel.

Tasted a hint of fruit, almost banana-like to me, nothing overbearing or overwhelming. Can taste the malt a bit and once again possible caramel.

Smooth brew, with a little carbonation feel and a bit of warmth when swallowing.

All in all a really great session beer as many others have said, nothing to bold, but not bland, just a really nice Amber Ale. (540 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -2.8%

I kept seeing this beer around and a few a my friends told me it was a quality brew so when I found a six pack for sale I had to pick it up.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my trusty Chimay goblet, very pretty bottle design with a blurb about the beer on the back.

A- Coppery red color, well developed head that fades to a good sized ring that lasts throughout, excellent lacing when poured hard.

S- Very floral hop aroma, almost rosy.

T- Well balanced between the malt sweetness and the hops, it has kind of a bready taste to it. I was a little bummed out by the taste after the amazing smell, but it's still good, I just expected more.

M- Overall, pretty clean, slight lingering taste from the hops.

D- Good, not stellar, but good. I finished the six pack and would consider buying it again it it was on tap. (816 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -26.5%

A-Pours a nice head with a nice bit of lacing. Soft golden honey color with a bit of murkiness.

S-Has that yeasty, bread bread smell that overwhelms anything else. Slight hops with almost no malt.

T-The New Belgian yeast continues to dominate, the soft malt comes in more for this one, but even then, this beer doesn't scream amber to me.

M-Very pleasant, soft but complex flavors that allow the beer to sit well.

D-Fat Tire is a beer that I believe is brewed to be drinkable while not being overly impressive in flavor. (525 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +28.2%

This ale is one of my favorites because its readily avalible anywere and at a decent price. Although this batch has hardly any carbonation. Great copper color. Head pours thick but guickly fades. Smells a little like honey and malt. Tastes like sweet honey and has a biscut note to it. Overall this is definatly an ale to be consumed by a group. (345 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: True to it's style, amber. 1 finger head.
Smell: Biscuty with a nice sweetness. Pretty mild but pleasant.
Taste: Malty with a mellow sweetness, some citrus notes with a mild hop bitterness towards the end.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a balanced carbonation and a light lingering bitterness after you swallow.
Overall: A very nice and tasty beer, and a fine example of the style. Sessionable and certainly a repeater. (433 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Beer hipsters in the US have claimed for some time now that the Fat Tire Amber Ale (ABV 5.2%) from New Belgium Brewing is the coolest, best beer in the USA, and that I have to try it. Well, now that I see it's available in BC, I went out and bought some. It's apparently one of the most well-travelled brews in the states, and it's been well-received.

Time for your average beer appreciator (AKA Brewji) to take a sip and tell you what it's really like.

On first sniff, the aroma reminded me of biscuits, sweet biscuits...not in a bad way. It had almost a bready-biscuit aroma, if I may. Biscuit and malt? I'm not quite sure, but definitely not a bad aroma.

So I went in for the first sip, and was surprised at how well the flavours work together to make this a solid amber ale. The aroma of the biscuit-bread translates into a rustic, amber ale taste with a hint of sweetness and malt to brush all of the necessary taste buds on my palate.

Why was I surprised? Beer hipsters (AKA snobs) generally annoy me, and the fact that a lot of them recommended this beer to me made me have slightly lower-than-average expectations. However, New Belgium has done well with this one. I've had a couple of other brews from them as well, and have never been disappointed (yet).

Either way, take a good look at the label, and see if you can find this at your local liquor or beer store. It's definitely worth the pick-up. It stands out against most ambers on the market, and at $14 for a 6-pack (in Canada, beer is expensive), it's quite the steal.

So there you have it, the Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing. I recommend this to newbies who are trying to transition out of the econo-lager phase and into ales. This, and the Blue Buck from Phillips are great transition-ers.

New Belgium Brewing's Fat Tire gets a surprisingly-not-so-hipster 8.5 / 10 (or 4.25 / 5 on Beer Advocate). (1,874 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

fat tire ale new beliguim
22oz bottle poured into chilled mug

appearance
Nice thick foamy head blonde carmel color clear

smell
light underwhelming wheat

taste
smooth earthy full bodied taste with slight fading bitter tones bready/wheaty maltiness settles in (263 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My favorite go-to beer. Excellent flavor, full-bodied, and great however you take it (can, draft, bottle). Whether you need something refreshing for a hot summer day or a nice accompaniment to a fine meal, Fat Tire is the kind of brew that is appropriate for every situation. (275 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is your typical amber ale, softer on the palate and not too bitter in taste. An average brown beer, Fat Tire will give you a gentle kick but leave your palate crisp, just like a good ale should. Goes great with a casual meal, and doesn't leave you screwed over the next day. Definitely a daily pint, this amber ale makes one experience the flavors of the beer without a wicked hangover, and it won't dehydrate like a super-hoppy brew. If you find this around, and enjoy a good American brew at lunch, I would surely recommend it! (539 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

I like a few of New Belgium's beers. Tried this one. YUK! Smells sour, tastes sour, and has a slightly metallic aftertaste. WISH I had not spent the $ on it, but I thought since it was a "standard" amber ale, it would be good. Will NOT buy again. (246 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

I've heard from many people how great this beer is. So when I finally made it to the West Coast I had to find it. While in Cali I came across it and I was very pleased with it.

After the first sip I was hooked! Its a great beer to sip slowly. I am kind of picky when it comes to beer but this one will be one that I will have again. (335 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I've been drinking this beer for a long time...probably since it was introduced over 15 yrs. ago. It is one of the only beers that I can say I am sick of drinking. Not that it's terrible, but it has a sweetness that wears on you after a while.

It has good qualities, and east coasters love to drink it when they venture out west, but for any seasoned western craft beer fanatic, I'd choose just about anything else. (418 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +32.6%

Poured a deep red/orange mix. Small head of around 1/2 inch. The smell is strongly of wheat or grasses. Tastes of biscuits and malt. Nice strong flavor. Overall this is a really nice brew. Something I could drink a lot of and always enjoy it. I know a lot of people put this one down but I think there is a lot going on here that makes it one of the top beers around. (367 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -37.6%

I had this beer on tap at a pizza joint. It didn't live up to the hype.

Appearance was dark, golden brown

Smell was hardly there

Taste was a little to sweet, even for an amber. It lacked complexity that I enjoy in many microbrews.

Mouthfeel was nice, with good carbonation.

Drinkability was fine, but the sweetness made it hard to finish. I will refrain from ordering this beer again. (389 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

The magical part of this beer is the way that you can smell exactly what you will be tasting. A creamy, malty aroma embraces a carmel/sugar/whatever-sweet-candy-you-can-think-of overtone. Fat Tire is a friggin' bouncy castle in a bottle. The taste is so malty and creamy that these flavors remain consistent throughout anything you taste afterwards. There is a distinct sweet aftertaste, pretty much candy, inside of that friggin' bouncy castle, inside of that bottle. Overall, all your worries come back at the bottom of the glass. This is easily one of the most adaptable beers out there. (590 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my .25 liter Heineken glass. A semi hard pour left about 1 finger or less of head which hung around for a little while. The beer is a true amber or copper color. It looks nice.
The smell of this beer is fairly complex, with some grassy straw characteristics, a little bit of malt backbone and a nice hop profile I'm guessing is a cascade variety. The nose is a hint at whats to come, but not overpowering at all.
Giving this beer a first taste and holding it in my mouth for a second the prickly carbonation gives way to a mild maltiness, some light citrus flavors and that delicious hop finish. Everything in the nose of this brew is detectable in flavor, and the flavor is really good. No single ingredient is overwhelming the other and I might even dare say this beer is a tad light, but it's balanced and very enjoyable!
The mouth feel of this beer is pretty watery. I would say it's the weakest point of this beer and may lead to it feeling lighter than it really is. It is however not enough to detract from the big picture.

Overall this is my new go to beer. It just started getting distributed to the Dayton Area in Ohio and I am now a big believer in it. I have constantly searched for another American Amber Ale style beer since Budweiser American Ale got discontinued, and this is my new replacement! No more money for A-B Inbev from me! Would recommend. (1,399 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

my girlfriend loooves fat tire..shes a consistent gin and tonic conniseur, but this is just about the only beer she will drink. i decided to pick some up tonight and i dont regret it.

i cant get over the smell and taste of this beer. just like the label says, its nice and biscuity. good malts and hops. i remember when i first had it it reminded me of burnt toast. almost like a burnt wood scent would taste, if you can imagine.

ive grown to really enjoy this beer. good if youre looking for an interesting drink. (522 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +26.2%

A "go-to" beer for many years. One that my dad, my wife, and I could all agree on and enjoy. Now that I am on the East Coast I find myself really missing it and comparing a lot of beers to it.
Ultra rich and flavorful without being thick or unctuous. Loads of malty sweetness and well-balanced hops. Close to perfection. A crowd-pleaser. (337 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

pours a really nice vivid red amber with a finger cloud/head with lacing. smell of toasted biscuits, malts, earthy hops with hints of fruits. light to medium mouthfeel with heavy carbonation.

taste of rich malts, toasted bread or biscuits and hints of fruits. i like the dry feeling after each sip. very fun to drink, not because of it's cool label however because it keeps my palate busy. a lot going on maybe it's the carbonation?

fun and easy to enjoy. (457 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing