Lips Of Faith - Sahti - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Sahti |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 09-22-2010

4.47/5  rDev +31.1%

I bought a single bottle of this at Woodman's in Janesville, WI in Spring 2011 for $5.79.

Pours a copper/amber color with slight carbonation to it. Scent is that of sweet malts and spices. The taste is rather smooth and similar to a good Oktoberfest beer. Plenty of good spice taste. A great brew and worth of being a $6 beer. Being a limited time deal, I had to try it! (372 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +29.6%

picked up a bottle of this stuff at green's in the atl! rare find!

the appearance is brown with not much head and splotchy lacing

smells bready to malty, maybe a hint of fruitiness in there as well

the taste is very smooth...but the malt comes to my taste buds more than anything else, then a bready flavor comes over....the traditional recipe uses bakers yeast so i think new belgium did a great job on recreating this traditional recipe

the feel is dry as i would think it should be

overall this is a lovely ale...i really should have picked up a few of these bombers! (575 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +26.7%

I'm new to this style and will definitely be seeking out others to compare. New Belgium's take on this style was very drinkable. The pour from the 220z bottle had a slight pause in showing the carbonation but turned out to be right on. I would buy this again. (259 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +25.2%

Received a 1 PINT, 6 FL. OZ. bottle in a trade w/ CurtisMcArthur back in August and the estimated price is around $15. Poured from the Sahti Tree covered bottle into my 12oz Surly Darkness Tulip Glass. Has a Bottled on Date of 09/09/10 on the bottom of line of the bottle.

Story Behind this Brew: In the hunt for enjoying every one of the Lips of Faith Series beers, this one was attractive because I've never had a Sahti brew! This is my first Sahti ale now and very interested in reviewing it. Thanks Curtis!

Aroma- Tons of malt and spiciness in the starting of the nose. Has a good floral hop aroma and nice yeastiness. Very complexed aroma!

Appearance- Pours a .5 finger head that dies very quickly. Has an amber/dark orange colored body with tons of haze. Leaves thick, spider-web like lacing behind.

Flavor- Has a great combination of fruits, spices, and malt. Very light hops are in the taste but can tell they are citrus covered. A good grapefruit taste finishes off this brew. Bitterness is at a medium level and is finished with spices. Nice!

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Effervescent, and has a prickly, acidic finish. Leaves good spices behind on the palate.

Overall Impression- While never having this style before and not able to compare it to any other brews, I definitely wish this one was going to be brewed again! I wouldn't mind enjoying another Sahti when available as well. I haven't seen this style in any liquor store in St. Louis. Nice amount of spice and fruit flavors all the way through. (1,541 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +25.2%

22 oz. -> Dogfish Head snifter. Got from my buddy Tom after a recent trip to Atlanta. We don't get NB here in MD, so this was a welcome treat. Split this with my buddy Greg after an afternoon of antiquing with our wives. We needed a drink. This was my first time with this brew, only second brew in this style.

A - Clear burnt orange. Thin off white head. Steady carb bubbles.

S - Mild spiced bread, almost of ginger bread or graham crackers.

T - Surprisingly no citrus. A creamy/savory spice essence is here, almost of chai. "Dry" malty middle. Slight spice and hoppy bitter finish. Very crisp and clean.

M - Carb stays around, fizzes and pools up on tongue. Feels light to medium light.

D - Very easy to drink Quite enjoyable. Two servings from the big bottle are about right. Three could be squeaked out. I wouldn't want to share more as this one is nice to sit on to let it open up.

Overall I really enjoyed the subtlety of this brew. The flavors were there just enough to let you enjoy what they bring to the table, but not enough to punch you in the face. While I tend to enjoy the more extreme bold flavors, this was quite nice. I imagine that this would pair nicely with some toasted marshmallows and chocolate. (1,229 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +21.1%

A: this has a very nice vibrant orange color, no real head forms

S: very fragrant with floral and citrus nose, really pleasant

T: Fairly sweet and malty, nice sharp citrus notes and some berries. Did not pick up on a lot of the spices

M: Very drinkable, light and refreshing. Overall I liked this beer a lot, I think it will be great as a summer beer. (354 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +20.8%

Was excited when I found this. Really interested in the ancient beer styles lately. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy orange amber, with 2 fingers width of thick foamy off white head, that leaves a cap on top and no lacing on the glass.

S- Bready, lots of sweet malt. Slightly fruity. Not getting any hops on the nose.

T- Sweet caramel, kind of nutty. Sweet breads. Taste is crisp. Very malty. The thick breadiness is enjoyable.

M- Very thick. This beer coats the mouth. The flavor lingers a while, and there is a warming feeling from the alcohol content.

O- Another solid offering from the Lips of Faith series. Would recommend picking one up if you find it. (683 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

A= Pours a totally translucent amber color with a nice finger high head on it that holds some nice retention and lacing.

S= The smell is interesting. This is my first dabbel with the style so I'm not sure what to expect but it says its Finnish with juniper on the bottle but I get sort of a chinese food smell from it. I get no juniper but a decent amount of salty rice like aroma from it. Intersting. There is a little citrus smell buried deep in there.

T= The taste is even more different than the smell. There isn't the chinese food taste as there was in the smell it's not salty at all it actually tastes like a wit with a little different spice to it. I still don't get any juniper from it but i get a little bitter orange peel from it. There is a little lemon taste as well which was indicated on the bottle and prolly tipped me off to it.

M= A nice amount of caroontation and a medium body to it.

D= This is actually really drinkable. It's a Finnish style and supposidly has juniper in it but I sort of like the thought of it being an early summer beer. Tasty indeed and the 7.2% doesn't show at all. (1,111 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +18.8%

From brew notes taken this past weekend:

A - Very little head pours. Pours strong, but diminishes quickly. Nice amber color with lots of yellow and orange hues.

S - Spots of lemon and orange. Strong spice scent. Very mild. Age has really mellowed this one.

T - Very smooth and delicious. Strong spice notes. Juniper has gently faded. Very refreshing brew.

M - Over carbonated. Light mild body.

O - Great brew. Highly recommended. Try if you're able to find. (462 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a dark, clear shade of amber with a solid offwhite head that sticks around for awhile and leaves some excellent lacing. Looks gorgeous.

S- smells very spicy. A little grassy. Almost like a saison

T- getting a lot of tea flavors from the juniper. The finish is pretty sweet. The flavor is overall very mild and laid back...feels like drinking a cold tea

M- the feel of this one....it's really thick. But not syrupy. It's more thick like a stout than thick like a DIPA...and I really enjoy that

O- this is a fantastic beer in a style that doesn't really get much love. I'd really like to see more breweries give it a whirl (674 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +18.2%

poured from a bomber into my new belgium tulip glass, the color is nice it's orange with a hint of brown and a hint of red thrown in, head is minimal and small amount of carbonation rise through the brew.

The smell initially strikes me as that of a very mellow pale ale with a little dry finish. Upon closer inspection I also get some fruits like pear and apple as I would in a white wine. There is also a hint of spicing in there which this beer alludes to on the bottle.

The flavor is very mellow and for me at least it is difficult to pick out distinct tastes in it. Everything is subtle but on the whole I think it comes together quite well. The malt contribution is a honey biscuit type flavor which works well with the rye which gives it a slightly dry aftertaste. The body of the flavor is a mingling of fruits and spices. The citrus comes through as sweet and slightly sour taste. very well rounded and very well balanced in my opinion

The mouthfeel is great, there's a smooth aspect as well as a spicy one, slightly creamy and a little poppy, excellent. (1,065 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +18.2%

poured into my bruery tulip chilled

Color: A hazy amber with some brown hue at the core. it forms a nickle thin head that disappears quite quickly. It does leave behind some nice lacing.

Nose: Exotic and beautiful. Juniper berry floats on top of this beer and with it some rye notes. This beer is also nicely hopped....I want to say there might be at least two types of hops in this beer if not more. Plenty of spice also surrounds this beer. I get some lemon and coriander but not quite sure.

Palate: Amazing! smooth,clean, and poetic. A nice mellow sweetness that compliments the rye. the spices play beautifully with the hops. In there some honey makes the rounds.

Finish: Clean,crisp, and refreshing. layered and complex. The taste of this beer last long, all the way through to the stomach. Keeps you wanting more and more. (833 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +17%

Presently on tap at Selma's.

Exhibits a golden body with a reddish tinge. Not a lot of head, but plenty of dancing bubbles as I tilt the glass.

Aromas are like biscuit, or baked bread, with slight quantities of spice and floral smells wafting throughout. It's fairly intense upon the first couple of whiffs, then I start wondering where it all went. Strange.

The flavors exhibit some fine balance of malts, almost a meat-like quality, with plenty of herbal, floral, and spicy notes similar to the aromas. My general one-word impression is: exotic. I have not come across a flavor combination like this before, which is probably the whole point of the newly-resurgent style.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with an almost aloe vera-like consistency on the palate as I swish.

Overall, I don't agree with the general consensus (rating) on this one. Yeah the flavor combination is different, and as this style progresses and more breweries pick it up (if they pick it up) my appreciation perhaps may change. I think the LOF Sahti is pretty solid as a beer, with an excellent (albeit uncanny) balance. (1,102 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

This is the first of this style I've had so new territory for me. So as far as reviews basis I'm just going off of what appeals to me.

A- Looks good, creamy head with good clingy lacing. Beer is an orange amber color.

S- Sweet, citrusy, slight hop smell, and meaty. Yes meaty, almost as if someone let a stick of salami soak in the beer for a few moments before you drank it.

T- This is good, nice subtle hop notes (that could be the juniper), citrus for sure, and this earthy meaty nutty taste that is there. This beer is refreshing in feel, yet thick and chewy. Great winter and summer beer.

M- Good mouth feel, it is chewy and thick, but with the refreshing feel it still works. I would think that others of this style would be a bit thinner in body.

D- Easy to drink, very tasty. I wish this came in six packs and replaced fat tire. (842 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from brown 22oz brown bomber glass to Perfect Pint glass. My man Rory hooked this beer up - thanks man!

A - The beer pours a deep copper color with a light white head with decent retention and lacing.

S - There is a subdued fruity character on the nose: lemon, slight citrus with some light toasted malt character.

T - Very unusual flavor. It hits the tongue nice and crisp and quickly evolves into a nice full flavored beer yet refreshingly crisp. The middle of the beer brings a light toasted malt character, juniper, fruit like the nose, and mild bitterness. It has a floral flavor, if that makes since. Not overpowering at all and a little subdued. A slight yeast flavor I have become used to on New Belgium's brews. The beer finishes with a slight spice flavor from the rye but is clean and crisp.

M - Light and mildly carbonated.
Finnish is the nationality of this brew.

D - Extremely for 7.2%.

Overall, I didn't know what to expect from this beer. I have found the Lips of Faith series to be hit or miss but I truly enjoyed this beer. I think I would really enjoy it on a nice warm day. I'd drink it again without hesitation.

Reviewed on: 02-15-2011 02:33:15 (1,338 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

I poured a 22 oz bomber into my glass mug...

The liquid was an orange, amber color with a bubbly white head that dissipated quickly. The smell is a bit funky, with hints of sour orange juice and other floral aromas. The taste consists of rye, honey, citrus, biscuits and some spice in the aftertaste. The beer is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a wet finish. Honestly, I did expect more out of this beer. I was looking for Vrienden but they were out, this is still a good and interesting beer. (506 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: golden orange

Smell: almost smells like a Extra Pale Ale

Head: Very Little

Taste: has a bit of a hop note going on with a small amout of bitter and malt, more like a very lite epa

Weight: lite on the palate

Finish: a little hoppy lingering (256 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Standard amber clear beer with little head and little lacing.

S: Nice caramely malty smell to it. Not overpowering but just a sweet malty, yeasty smell.

T: I think this is my first Sahti and I am pleasantly surprised. Very sweet, very matly with hints of caramel, and a little nutty.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied and okay.

O: Overall I think this is a good beer. I haven't had any other Sahtis to compare it to. Dont think its a beer I love for style but I think its a good beer and would rank high amongst the Sahtis. (527 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Served in a pint glass at The Firkin in Libertyville, IL

This beer pours a nice orange color with a good finger of foam. The smell is rather vacant, but from what I can gather there is a bready mild woodsy aroma. The taste is really hard to explain...it tastes like beer. I know that's not helpful, but that's how I have to describe it the yeasty white bread flavor is the best way to describe the flavor. Some sour but super faint. It is real nice on the palate, and drinks real well. It's a good beer what can I say? (519 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +15%

Aroma
Nice aromatic scent which is unique, a bit of a toffee sweetness which is reminiscent of a scotch ale.

Mouthfeel
Medium to lower end of carbonation, notable bitterness to me along the sides of the mouth. Bit of creaminess with some weight on the palette, but pretty light.

Appearance
Poured to goblet with slight head which quickly dissipated. Nice amber appearance with reddish hints in the light.

Taste
Bit of maltiness comes through with some citrus hints off the hops, maybe I'm missing it but I'm not catching the juniper in the flavor.

Drinkability Rather drinkable, price is more the hurdle with this beer at $6 a bomber. Could easily drink a few pints

Overall
This is a difficult call. I've never had sahti before and was expecting a bit more of a different experience with more of a juniper essence. It's a good tasting spiced ale though and would have again at the right price… (906 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +14.7%

Beautiful pour into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Huge foamy head that left lace that almost completely covered the sides of the glass; I've never seen that before! Great clarity, orange-ish color with bubbles rising constantly.

Honestly, not a lot of aroma. A faint, sweet malty smell, maybe some green tea, some unidentifiable spice and perhaps some honey. Actually it all could be my imagination as I really tried hard to smell. I waited quite a while before I lit my pipe thinking smoking wouldn't allow me to smell anything. As the beer warmed however, a bready smell came forward that was really there. The taste, while not overpowering at all, was easily perceptible. I would call it a malt forward beer, light and refreshing on the palate with a bready/yeasty taste. I had hoped for more tartness, like a lambic, as described in the Style Notes by the brothers.

Overall, an easy drinking, good ale that I would buy again. It's well balanced, tasty and refreshing. It's gotten me interested in the style so I'll probably try another brand first. I think it would go well with a variety of food. My first thought is a light summer salad on a hot Georgia summer night. Also fish, barbecue, sharp cheese or sushi. (1,215 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a golden orange colour with huge white head. Lots of lacing down the glass. Quite sweet (or at least sweeter than I expected) with pine and spices in the aroma. Quite malty, I'm getting caramel and butterscotch. Smooth mouthfeel. I picked up this bottle just to try a Sahti. I'd like to try others now as I enjoyed this. (326 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

The beer has a nice rusty orange color and about 1/3 inch head. I'm picking some earthy, yeast and nutmeg scents. Very smooth taste with little carbonation and a light oiliness in the aftertaste. I can sense a few spices, but nothing distinctive enough to call out. I’m enjoying it on a very hot summer day and it works well (although it’s not a summer ale). Overall it’s a very nice beer which I would try again. (419 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Clear golden orange body with plenty of carbonation rushing around. Slim white head.

Smells bready with a bunch of malt sweetness.

Taste is similar, some bread, sweetness, juniper berries and faint herbs in there as well. I get a touch of woodiness too.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, well carbonated, crisp and refreshing.

A good beer oerall, my first sahti, so not really sure what it was supposed to taste like, but I found it rather enjoyable. (475 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +13.5%

Ken's bottle.Light orange with carbonation bubbles, two inch head. Funky and malty aromas. A spicy taste, with some pine and spruce. A smooth mouthfeel. Sweet, then a bitter finish with mint aftertaste. I am not the biggest fan of Juniper. Lacey. Drying. (254 characters)

Lips Of Faith - Sahti from New Belgium Brewing