Lips Of Faith - Sahti - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - SahtiLips Of Faith - Sahti

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Sahti |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 09-22-2010)
4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

4.47/5  rDev +30.7%

I bought a single bottle of this at Woodman's in Janesville, WI in Spring 2011 for $5.79.

Pours a copper/amber color with slight carbonation to it. Scent is that of sweet malts and spices. The taste is rather smooth and similar to a good Oktoberfest beer. Plenty of good spice taste. A great brew and worth of being a $6 beer. Being a limited time deal, I had to try it!

4.43/5  rDev +29.5%

picked up a bottle of this stuff at green's in the atl! rare find!

the appearance is brown with not much head and splotchy lacing

smells bready to malty, maybe a hint of fruitiness in there as well

the taste is very smooth...but the malt comes to my taste buds more than anything else, then a bready flavor comes over....the traditional recipe uses bakers yeast so i think new belgium did a great job on recreating this traditional recipe

the feel is dry as i would think it should be

overall this is a lovely ale...i really should have picked up a few of these bombers!

4.33/5  rDev +26.6%

I'm new to this style and will definitely be seeking out others to compare. New Belgium's take on this style was very drinkable. The pour from the 220z bottle had a slight pause in showing the carbonation but turned out to be right on. I would buy this again.

4.28/5  rDev +25.1%

22 oz. -> Dogfish Head snifter. Got from my buddy Tom after a recent trip to Atlanta. We don't get NB here in MD, so this was a welcome treat. Split this with my buddy Greg after an afternoon of antiquing with our wives. We needed a drink. This was my first time with this brew, only second brew in this style.

A - Clear burnt orange. Thin off white head. Steady carb bubbles.

S - Mild spiced bread, almost of ginger bread or graham crackers.

T - Surprisingly no citrus. A creamy/savory spice essence is here, almost of chai. "Dry" malty middle. Slight spice and hoppy bitter finish. Very crisp and clean.

M - Carb stays around, fizzes and pools up on tongue. Feels light to medium light.

D - Very easy to drink Quite enjoyable. Two servings from the big bottle are about right. Three could be squeaked out. I wouldn't want to share more as this one is nice to sit on to let it open up.

Overall I really enjoyed the subtlety of this brew. The flavors were there just enough to let you enjoy what they bring to the table, but not enough to punch you in the face. While I tend to enjoy the more extreme bold flavors, this was quite nice. I imagine that this would pair nicely with some toasted marshmallows and chocolate.

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

Received a 1 PINT, 6 FL. OZ. bottle in a trade w/ CurtisMcArthur back in August and the estimated price is around $15. Poured from the Sahti Tree covered bottle into my 12oz Surly Darkness Tulip Glass. Has a Bottled on Date of 09/09/10 on the bottom of line of the bottle.

Story Behind this Brew: In the hunt for enjoying every one of the Lips of Faith Series beers, this one was attractive because I've never had a Sahti brew! This is my first Sahti ale now and very interested in reviewing it. Thanks Curtis!

Aroma- Tons of malt and spiciness in the starting of the nose. Has a good floral hop aroma and nice yeastiness. Very complexed aroma!

Appearance- Pours a .5 finger head that dies very quickly. Has an amber/dark orange colored body with tons of haze. Leaves thick, spider-web like lacing behind.

Flavor- Has a great combination of fruits, spices, and malt. Very light hops are in the taste but can tell they are citrus covered. A good grapefruit taste finishes off this brew. Bitterness is at a medium level and is finished with spices. Nice!

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Effervescent, and has a prickly, acidic finish. Leaves good spices behind on the palate.

Overall Impression- While never having this style before and not able to compare it to any other brews, I definitely wish this one was going to be brewed again! I wouldn't mind enjoying another Sahti when available as well. I haven't seen this style in any liquor store in St. Louis. Nice amount of spice and fruit flavors all the way through.

4.13/5  rDev +20.8%

A: this has a very nice vibrant orange color, no real head forms

S: very fragrant with floral and citrus nose, really pleasant

T: Fairly sweet and malty, nice sharp citrus notes and some berries. Did not pick up on a lot of the spices

M: Very drinkable, light and refreshing. Overall I liked this beer a lot, I think it will be great as a summer beer.

4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

From brew notes taken this past weekend:

A - Very little head pours. Pours strong, but diminishes quickly. Nice amber color with lots of yellow and orange hues.

S - Spots of lemon and orange. Strong spice scent. Very mild. Age has really mellowed this one.

T - Very smooth and delicious. Strong spice notes. Juniper has gently faded. Very refreshing brew.

M - Over carbonated. Light mild body.

O - Great brew. Highly recommended. Try if you're able to find.

4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

Was excited when I found this. Really interested in the ancient beer styles lately. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy orange amber, with 2 fingers width of thick foamy off white head, that leaves a cap on top and no lacing on the glass.

S- Bready, lots of sweet malt. Slightly fruity. Not getting any hops on the nose.

T- Sweet caramel, kind of nutty. Sweet breads. Taste is crisp. Very malty. The thick breadiness is enjoyable.

M- Very thick. This beer coats the mouth. The flavor lingers a while, and there is a warming feeling from the alcohol content.

O- Another solid offering from the Lips of Faith series. Would recommend picking one up if you find it.

4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

A= Pours a totally translucent amber color with a nice finger high head on it that holds some nice retention and lacing.

S= The smell is interesting. This is my first dabbel with the style so I'm not sure what to expect but it says its Finnish with juniper on the bottle but I get sort of a chinese food smell from it. I get no juniper but a decent amount of salty rice like aroma from it. Intersting. There is a little citrus smell buried deep in there.

T= The taste is even more different than the smell. There isn't the chinese food taste as there was in the smell it's not salty at all it actually tastes like a wit with a little different spice to it. I still don't get any juniper from it but i get a little bitter orange peel from it. There is a little lemon taste as well which was indicated on the bottle and prolly tipped me off to it.

M= A nice amount of caroontation and a medium body to it.

D= This is actually really drinkable. It's a Finnish style and supposidly has juniper in it but I sort of like the thought of it being an early summer beer. Tasty indeed and the 7.2% doesn't show at all.

4.05/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a dark, clear shade of amber with a solid offwhite head that sticks around for awhile and leaves some excellent lacing. Looks gorgeous.

S- smells very spicy. A little grassy. Almost like a saison

T- getting a lot of tea flavors from the juniper. The finish is pretty sweet. The flavor is overall very mild and laid back...feels like drinking a cold tea

M- the feel of this one....it's really thick. But not syrupy. It's more thick like a stout than thick like a DIPA...and I really enjoy that

O- this is a fantastic beer in a style that doesn't really get much love. I'd really like to see more breweries give it a whirl

4.03/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: golden orange

Smell: almost smells like a Extra Pale Ale

Head: Very Little

Taste: has a bit of a hop note going on with a small amout of bitter and malt, more like a very lite epa

Weight: lite on the palate

Finish: a little hoppy lingering

4.03/5  rDev +17.8%

poured from a bomber into my new belgium tulip glass, the color is nice it's orange with a hint of brown and a hint of red thrown in, head is minimal and small amount of carbonation rise through the brew.

The smell initially strikes me as that of a very mellow pale ale with a little dry finish. Upon closer inspection I also get some fruits like pear and apple as I would in a white wine. There is also a hint of spicing in there which this beer alludes to on the bottle.

The flavor is very mellow and for me at least it is difficult to pick out distinct tastes in it. Everything is subtle but on the whole I think it comes together quite well. The malt contribution is a honey biscuit type flavor which works well with the rye which gives it a slightly dry aftertaste. The body of the flavor is a mingling of fruits and spices. The citrus comes through as sweet and slightly sour taste. very well rounded and very well balanced in my opinion

The mouthfeel is great, there's a smooth aspect as well as a spicy one, slightly creamy and a little poppy, excellent.

4.03/5  rDev +17.8%

poured into my bruery tulip chilled

Color: A hazy amber with some brown hue at the core. it forms a nickle thin head that disappears quite quickly. It does leave behind some nice lacing.

Nose: Exotic and beautiful. Juniper berry floats on top of this beer and with it some rye notes. This beer is also nicely hopped....I want to say there might be at least two types of hops in this beer if not more. Plenty of spice also surrounds this beer. I get some lemon and coriander but not quite sure.

Palate: Amazing! smooth,clean, and poetic. A nice mellow sweetness that compliments the rye. the spices play beautifully with the hops. In there some honey makes the rounds.

Finish: Clean,crisp, and refreshing. layered and complex. The taste of this beer last long, all the way through to the stomach. Keeps you wanting more and more.

Presently on tap at Selma's.

Exhibits a golden body with a reddish tinge. Not a lot of head, but plenty of dancing bubbles as I tilt the glass.

Aromas are like biscuit, or baked bread, with slight quantities of spice and floral smells wafting throughout. It's fairly intense upon the first couple of whiffs, then I start wondering where it all went. Strange.

The flavors exhibit some fine balance of malts, almost a meat-like quality, with plenty of herbal, floral, and spicy notes similar to the aromas. My general one-word impression is: exotic. I have not come across a flavor combination like this before, which is probably the whole point of the newly-resurgent style.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with an almost aloe vera-like consistency on the palate as I swish.

Overall, I don't agree with the general consensus (rating) on this one. Yeah the flavor combination is different, and as this style progresses and more breweries pick it up (if they pick it up) my appreciation perhaps may change. I think the LOF Sahti is pretty solid as a beer, with an excellent (albeit uncanny) balance.

This is the first of this style I've had so new territory for me. So as far as reviews basis I'm just going off of what appeals to me.

A- Looks good, creamy head with good clingy lacing. Beer is an orange amber color.

S- Sweet, citrusy, slight hop smell, and meaty. Yes meaty, almost as if someone let a stick of salami soak in the beer for a few moments before you drank it.

T- This is good, nice subtle hop notes (that could be the juniper), citrus for sure, and this earthy meaty nutty taste that is there. This beer is refreshing in feel, yet thick and chewy. Great winter and summer beer.

M- Good mouth feel, it is chewy and thick, but with the refreshing feel it still works. I would think that others of this style would be a bit thinner in body.

D- Easy to drink, very tasty. I wish this came in six packs and replaced fat tire.

Lips Of Faith - Sahti from New Belgium Brewing