2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - Sahti - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - SahtiLips Of Faith - Sahti

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Sahti |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 09-22-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 188 | Reviews: 139 | Show All Ratings:
jerryjeff

Tennessee

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Aroma
Nice aromatic scent which is unique, a bit of a toffee sweetness which is reminiscent of a scotch ale.

Mouthfeel
Medium to lower end of carbonation, notable bitterness to me along the sides of the mouth. Bit of creaminess with some weight on the palette, but pretty light.

Appearance
Poured to goblet with slight head which quickly dissipated. Nice amber appearance with reddish hints in the light.

Taste
Bit of maltiness comes through with some citrus hints off the hops, maybe I'm missing it but I'm not catching the juniper in the flavor.

Drinkability Rather drinkable, price is more the hurdle with this beer at $6 a bomber. Could easily drink a few pints

Overall
This is a difficult call. I've never had sahti before and was expecting a bit more of a different experience with more of a juniper essence. It's a good tasting spiced ale though and would have again at the right price…

06-29-2011 00:55:21 | More by jerryjeff
tetu

Louisiana

3.58/5  rDev +5%

Poured orange-amber with good amount of carbonation evenly spaced throughout glass. Head was small and evacuated quickly. Aroma is biscuity malt with spices. Taste is pine and spicy with a caramel base and subtle fruit in background. Getting more lemon flavor as it warms. I would have enjoyed more body, as it is on the low end of the medium body spectrum. For the price it is a good beer which I may pick up again, but for the style I'm not so sure.

06-23-2011 23:21:38 | More by tetu
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a clear, light ruby gold topped by a slight head that, thin though it is, retains its thinness throughout and leaves slight spots of lacing.

Aroma of fresh doughy bread drizzled in caramel sitting by a freshly trimmed hedge...sprucey with lemondrops and quiet notes of grapefuit in the lower register. Very nice if a bit subdued.

The taste is yeasty, sweet and caramelly, very malty, a little floral-soapy with some lemon and toasty rye. Finishes off-dry. Luckily I am sipping away at a bomber over the course of an hour, and as it warms and things progress the juniper aspect sheepishly comes to the fore as a bit of gin enters the fray. A little spice lingers long in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a light carbonation.

This is my first Sahti. I thought it would have a lot more of a juniper thing going on. I dig this beer and would happily get it again if it was available where I live. Don't get me wrong. It's just not what I was expecting.

06-19-2011 01:43:34 | More by MeisterBurger
Lemke10

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +31.1%

I bought a single bottle of this at Woodman's in Janesville, WI in Spring 2011 for $5.79.

Pours a copper/amber color with slight carbonation to it. Scent is that of sweet malts and spices. The taste is rather smooth and similar to a good Oktoberfest beer. Plenty of good spice taste. A great brew and worth of being a $6 beer. Being a limited time deal, I had to try it!

06-15-2011 01:58:01 | More by Lemke10
SWMeyer4141

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance-Amber with some light haze. 2 finger white fluffy head that dissipates slowly to a light film on top, little blotches of lacing.

Smell-Big time Ginger and Spice aroma with some hops trying to sneak through. Light lemon notes. Interesting aroma that leaves me interested.

Taste-Candied fruits and a big ginger taste. Peppery along with other spices, not sure what. Some rye and light hops in the middle and finishes with some citrus and some more light hops. I kind of get some agave nectar in there too. Interesting, but an awkward aftertaste, pretty average

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied, with nice carbonation, maybe a little more needed to help cleanse the palate.

Overall-Very interesting, good flavors, and not a bad beer. However, not sure If I would ever buy this again, but would drink it if given to me.

05-22-2011 19:19:27 | More by SWMeyer4141
eclaycamp

Kansas

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

22 ounce bomber. I’ve seen this several times but never picked one up, until last night. I’m not really sure what to expect out of this beer. The label states it’s a Finnish Rye and that it’s got some hops in it. Little to no head, cloudy appearance, murky carbonation. Color is a nice amber brown, cinnamon. Aroma isn’t as big as I had hoped for – guess those hops aren’t used for aroma. I can pick out the rye and some caramel malt sweetness. Pretty disappointing really. Luckily the beer makes up for it in the taste department, as there’s lots of things going on. The spice of the rye really hits you first, it kind of punches you in the mouth and makes you sit up and take notice. Unfortunately, from there things sort of wash out in the middle, as the mouth is still reeling from the initial hit of rye. However the beer makes a comeback, finishing with floral juniper and citrusy hop bitterness. This is clearly and almost makes up for the lack of complexity in the middle. Mouthfeel is sufficiently slick though never oily, with medium carbonation. It’s somewhat watery – I find myself wanting the body of the beer to be a little bit heartier. There’s a little bit of a hint of alcohol esters in the middle of the beer but nothing outlandish – and I’m relatively sensitive to those so you may not even notice. Overall this is an interesting though slightly disappointing beer.

05-22-2011 16:43:33 | More by eclaycamp
schmoopsbeer

4.03/5  rDev +18.2%

poured into my bruery tulip chilled

Color: A hazy amber with some brown hue at the core. it forms a nickle thin head that disappears quite quickly. It does leave behind some nice lacing.

Nose: Exotic and beautiful. Juniper berry floats on top of this beer and with it some rye notes. This beer is also nicely hopped....I want to say there might be at least two types of hops in this beer if not more. Plenty of spice also surrounds this beer. I get some lemon and coriander but not quite sure.

Palate: Amazing! smooth,clean, and poetic. A nice mellow sweetness that compliments the rye. the spices play beautifully with the hops. In there some honey makes the rounds.

Finish: Clean,crisp, and refreshing. layered and complex. The taste of this beer last long, all the way through to the stomach. Keeps you wanting more and more.

05-18-2011 00:55:11 | More by schmoopsbeer
mactrail

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

Amber in the snifter, decent head. I don't actually taste the alleged juniper, orange, and lemon flavors cited by the label. Nor the hops, really. It's kind of a stew of very modest flavors. A little on the delicate side with a hint of fruit in the nose. The rye must be only a dose, as well, since that doesn't come through much. Just a slight graininess and a touch of canned peaches.

I'm always up for unusual flavors but this doesn't do much. If you're a fan of either rye or juniper, you can pass on this one. Goes down easy enough in a heavy sort of way.

05-16-2011 04:04:05 | More by mactrail
JMad

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

I poured a 22 oz bomber into my glass mug...

The liquid was an orange, amber color with a bubbly white head that dissipated quickly. The smell is a bit funky, with hints of sour orange juice and other floral aromas. The taste consists of rye, honey, citrus, biscuits and some spice in the aftertaste. The beer is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a wet finish. Honestly, I did expect more out of this beer. I was looking for Vrienden but they were out, this is still a good and interesting beer.

04-17-2011 01:44:49 | More by JMad
Cyberkedi

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Comes out of the bottle a lovely clear amber with a thick, white, fine-bubbled, fairly persistent head. Aroma is strong, yeasty and spicy with fruity and malty hints. Flavor has a strong spicy tone, mainly cloves, and also some woody hints along with a malty undertone and fruity and yeasty tones. Texture is rather ragged and fizzy, leaving behind a nice spicy tingle.

04-02-2011 03:33:11 | More by Cyberkedi
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked this up at Goebbel's in Wichita. I believe this is the first Sahti I've ever had, was tempted to drink outta my cow horn flagon!

Pours a bright honey/amber colored with 2+ fingers of cream colored head. Much clearer than I figured it would be, average head retention & lacing

S: Yeasty, bready & slight pear notes when warm

T: Honey, lemony faint yeasty flavors up front, slight peppery notes to this as well. I pick up some medicinal notes, peppery notes as this warms, along with earthy yeast notes, a touch of honey dryness, also just a touch of lemon. Finishes with pear fruittyness, a touch of honey sweetness & a bit medicinal & woody bitterness, a bit of yeasty bite, plus almost a doughnut type flavor, wild! along with some peppery notes

Medium bodied, a touch over carbonated based on the style profile. Something in this is making my lips tingle, perhaps the ABV ( I doubt it ) or the Juniper

This is drinkable enough, would love to try some Finnish stuff to compare & contrast. I would drink this again if was an option & I was looking for a break from hoppy beers/something different. I'm betting this isn't quite as old school as it could be. Still, here's to New Belgium for taking a shot at this obscure style!

04-02-2011 01:57:43 | More by russpowell
BeerLover99

3.75/5  rDev +10%

A: deep orange, bubbly body, trace head, good lacing in pint

S: raisin, malt, cinnamon, ginger, honey, mild rye

T: sweet malt, firm earthy rye, mild bitter spice finish

M: medium body, solid carbonation

O: Fascinated by different and often rare styles of beer. This is quite good, but want to try a few more sahti before I make a judgement. I think there is potential for this to be delicious.

I know the 7% makes it NOT a session brew, but seemed to go down in gulps.

Worth Trying!

03-31-2011 16:45:43 | More by BeerLover99
airheadmtrcycle

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Beautiful pour into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Huge foamy head that left lace that almost completely covered the sides of the glass; I've never seen that before! Great clarity, orange-ish color with bubbles rising constantly.

Honestly, not a lot of aroma. A faint, sweet malty smell, maybe some green tea, some unidentifiable spice and perhaps some honey. Actually it all could be my imagination as I really tried hard to smell. I waited quite a while before I lit my pipe thinking smoking wouldn't allow me to smell anything. As the beer warmed however, a bready smell came forward that was really there. The taste, while not overpowering at all, was easily perceptible. I would call it a malt forward beer, light and refreshing on the palate with a bready/yeasty taste. I had hoped for more tartness, like a lambic, as described in the Style Notes by the brothers.

Overall, an easy drinking, good ale that I would buy again. It's well balanced, tasty and refreshing. It's gotten me interested in the style so I'll probably try another brand first. I think it would go well with a variety of food. My first thought is a light summer salad on a hot Georgia summer night. Also fish, barbecue, sharp cheese or sushi.

03-28-2011 01:58:48 | More by airheadmtrcycle
Georgiabeer

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%

I have to say, I was dissapointed in this beer. I like the Sahti style, primarily because I like the zing of juniper you get from it, and the woody bitterness that fills the throat. This beer has none of that. While its pleasant enough, I guess, and there is a hint of juniper, the overall impression is of creamy, malty sweetness, with just a hint of that bitter woodiness. I'd prefer this to be more assertive and the base beer to be a bit less sweet. While I appreciate the fact that New Belgium attempted such an unusual style, but on the other hand, I think if you're going to do that, go full hilt and make it more true to the original style. Most people just don't have the reference point to appreciate a riff on a style they haven't tasted- so just give'em an authentic experience first.

03-26-2011 23:50:21 | More by Georgiabeer
AmericanGothic

Iowa

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip.

A: Pleasant honey color. Little head with weak retention. Active carbonation, slightly cloudy. Very little lace.

S: Mostly sweet malts, but not a lot. Something a bit funky that I can't quite place. Little happening here.

T: Interesting. Well balanced, but too understated. The effect of juniper in place of hops doesn't come through so much in the taste at first, but increases a bit as the beer warms.

M: The juniper is more apparent here-- the astringency hits the mouth in the same places it does for gin. Really unexpected to have that feeling while drinking beer.

O: Not a bad beer, but I feel that both the malt and juniper flavors could have been taken up a notch while still maintaining balance. Wouldn't turn it down if offered another, but would probably be more likely to try others of this style than to return to this specific one. Nevertheless, glad I tried it and glad that NB continues to explore interesting things in the Lips of Faith series.

03-20-2011 20:14:57 | More by AmericanGothic
4000qtrap

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev +10%

Source/Serving: 22oz bottle (fresh)

S: Semi-sweet honey and caramel with an herbal, wild coniferous/grassy character. Fairly woody and a touch of un-ripened apricot.

T: honey, brown sugar maltiness quickly dries out with a rounded, earthy, almost sap-tinged cola spiciness that barely hints at the typical 'gin' juniper character in the middle, not overt. A touch of oak character and hints at syrupy medicinal citrus at times. Classic rye character peeks through at one point just before the finish with a nice bite. Quite full bodied. The finish creeps in and the gin character is more prominent with peppery alcohol and a dry woody spiciness. Mineral/cola character lingers on and at points feels a bit like chewing on an orange infused branch.

Genuine, full flavored, and not overt. I don't know what the authentic version tastes like, but this feels like its trying to be so. Its just a touch too syrupy for my tastes though and it comes off a little flat... I like it but, am not completely compelled to drink it.

03-19-2011 23:08:23 | More by 4000qtrap
dwilson01

4.03/5  rDev +18.2%

poured from a bomber into my new belgium tulip glass, the color is nice it's orange with a hint of brown and a hint of red thrown in, head is minimal and small amount of carbonation rise through the brew.

The smell initially strikes me as that of a very mellow pale ale with a little dry finish. Upon closer inspection I also get some fruits like pear and apple as I would in a white wine. There is also a hint of spicing in there which this beer alludes to on the bottle.

The flavor is very mellow and for me at least it is difficult to pick out distinct tastes in it. Everything is subtle but on the whole I think it comes together quite well. The malt contribution is a honey biscuit type flavor which works well with the rye which gives it a slightly dry aftertaste. The body of the flavor is a mingling of fruits and spices. The citrus comes through as sweet and slightly sour taste. very well rounded and very well balanced in my opinion

The mouthfeel is great, there's a smooth aspect as well as a spicy one, slightly creamy and a little poppy, excellent.

03-12-2011 03:16:44 | More by dwilson01
theboozecruise

Louisiana

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%

My first go at this style... picked up a bottle at Spec's in Houston.

I poured it into a goblet... wasn't sure what would be best and I see that BA recommends a pint glass. Whoops... I think a goblet should do just fine though.

It's a deep golden color, not hazy like the style says it should be, with a really small head. Nothing too impressive here, but it's not like it looks bad.

The smell is very biscuity, with a warm maltiness to it and then just a hint of floral note at the end. It's interesting for sure and makes me want to dive in.

The flavor is very similar to the smell... malty up front but there are definite woody bitter notes at the end. This one tastes more like a Belgian ale than I was expecting with floral undertones to it.

It's got a nice body to it... very very drinkable. This one could be trouble at this ABV if I had more of it or was sitting at a bar.

03-08-2011 21:24:44 | More by theboozecruise
harrymel

Washington

2.93/5  rDev -14.1%

From notes verbatim on 10/21/10

A: Apricot color with excellent clarity. low/no head formation.

S: More malt than anticipated. Cinnamon, peppercorn. Nothing special.

T: Touch of astringent on initial touch with hints of alcohol, juniper. It's like watered down gin.

M: Nice feel. Medium body with lower carb. Feels good.

D: No thanks.

03-07-2011 04:25:27 | More by harrymel
kbanks13

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

Got this in a recent trade, thanks Will!

Poured into a SA perfect pint with a crystal clear honey color and a frothy white head that was neither big nor present for long. Strike one. I was expecting a pour that would look more like a weizen since this style is supposed to be unfiltered, it looks nice enough, but not what I expected based on the description. The smell is subtle, almost too subtle. It has a bit of light fruitiness and spicy yeast but, again, not what I expected. Good, but it is barely detectable. Strike two. The taste is certainly redeeming. Its crisp and light, slightly sweet and a bit tangy. Spicy yeast and earthy flavors are dominant. Tart fruits make their way into the flavor profile with a subtle buttery/biscuit flavor way in the back. Feels very light and almost too carbonated. Though, it isn't supposed to be heavy, so at least the light body is appropriate. This is very easy drinking and a nice subtle beer, but I feel as though it is not the best representation of the style, I'll have to try other Sahtis and find out. I like it, but I don't think I'll be seeking more of this one.

03-06-2011 00:01:40 | More by kbanks13
Metalmonk

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a coppery amber color, sort of sunset orange maybe, with remarkable clarity. Bubbles are numerous, like in champagne, and they feed a white and fairly thin head.

Getting hardly anything from the smell. Just a light shade of herbs of no particular variety and a faint whiff of citrus. With all the stuff this was made with (rye, juniper, orange & lemon peel, Cascade and Amarillo hops) you'd think there'd be more in the sniffer. Let's hope so for the taste...

A mild, almost timid flavor, although its subtleties come through with patience, and with warming. A dab of orange molasses peeks through the rye base, the rye only showing a trace of the coarseness that other rye-based beers can have (I mean "coarse" in a good way, rye is tough to describe). There's a mingling of citrus and, again, unassuming and indistinct tea-like herbs, other than a fairly prominent ginger-like character. Maybe that's the juniper, but I would have liked it to come through stronger. I remember smelling juniper on a recent walk through the Hollywood Hills and thinking "I need to find more beers brewed with juniper!"

Feels slick and smooth, yet the carbonation is strong enough to offer a gentle prickle, which is fitting for the various flavors happening in the taste. A bit dry, quite crisp, very clean overall.

Overall a subtle yet satisfying beer. Earthy all the way. Just wanted a little more "oomph" to it, that's all. Maybe Dogfish Head's excellent Sah'tea set the bar too high for Americanizations of this Finnish style?

03-01-2011 22:36:13 | More by Metalmonk
tbrown4

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +25.5%

22 oz. -> Dogfish Head snifter. Got from my buddy Tom after a recent trip to Atlanta. We don't get NB here in MD, so this was a welcome treat. Split this with my buddy Greg after an afternoon of antiquing with our wives. We needed a drink. This was my first time with this brew, only second brew in this style.

A - Clear burnt orange. Thin off white head. Steady carb bubbles.

S - Mild spiced bread, almost of ginger bread or graham crackers.

T - Surprisingly no citrus. A creamy/savory spice essence is here, almost of chai. "Dry" malty middle. Slight spice and hoppy bitter finish. Very crisp and clean.

M - Carb stays around, fizzes and pools up on tongue. Feels light to medium light.

D - Very easy to drink Quite enjoyable. Two servings from the big bottle are about right. Three could be squeaked out. I wouldn't want to share more as this one is nice to sit on to let it open up.

Overall I really enjoyed the subtlety of this brew. The flavors were there just enough to let you enjoy what they bring to the table, but not enough to punch you in the face. While I tend to enjoy the more extreme bold flavors, this was quite nice. I imagine that this would pair nicely with some toasted marshmallows and chocolate.

02-28-2011 00:09:22 | More by tbrown4
beagle75

Iowa

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with no foam head but a trace of off-white bubbly residue hangs around. Bubbles rise in numerous fine streams. No lacing remains on the glass.

S: Very bready, including a prominent dose of baker's yeast, with slight honey. Uncooked sourdough is brought to mind.

T: Begins off-dry, with delicate estery fruit, faint conifer foliage, and hard minerals. A whiff of soap is detected into the middle, but fades and gives way to lemon peel and mild spirituous grain. The pleasant finish reminds of sourdough pancakes from the Original Pancake House, with only the slightest hint of bitterness.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, cleansing on the palate yet with enough texture to carry the doughy flavor, and with brisk carbonation.

D: A beer that proudly bears its New Belgium roots by being not just malt-forward but bread-forward. Although not a sour ale by any means, the sourdough qualities add interest and elevate it above the basic Fat Tire experience. While not as big of a beer as Dogfish Head's Sah'tea, it is correspondingly more appoachable and just as food-friendly.

02-21-2011 00:42:30 | More by beagle75
bs870621345

3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a clear honey amber color with an inch of off white head. Leaves a nice lacing down the glass. For a beer it looks great, but for a sahti, its terrible.

Smells like juniper, herbs, malty caramel sweetness, and a hint of roast. Strange smell.

Tastes like gin with a bit of caramel and alcohol mixed in. Its an interesting taste.

Mouthfeel is thin, having almost no after taste.

Drinkability isn't bad, there is nothing offensive about the beer and it has no lingering after tastes.

Its not a bad beer, but not a good sahti.

02-20-2011 02:56:38 | More by bs870621345
Kakaraht

British Columbia (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a crisp amber with a nice thumb of white head that has good retention.

S: Very light. I can almost smell the pine and spruce essence of the juniper branches. There is also a nice lightly oaked sourness to the beer as well as faint hints of lemon zest.

T: Slightly sour with a light malty sweetness similar to candy sugar. The juniper branches give it a faint dry gin like quality and a sprucy flavor.

M: Medium body, good carbonation, and a very dry finish.

D: Love sahti beers, and this one did not disappoint.

02-18-2011 21:14:48 | More by Kakaraht