Lips Of Faith - Metric 10/10/10 - New Belgium Brewing

No picture uploaded.

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: glid02 on 03-11-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours a little bit of white head. Decent retention. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Some malts. Bready and sweet with some spices. A touch of honey. It smells like bar soap. A bit of citrus fruit.

Taste: Over spiced and dry. Bready malts. A big soapy flavor in the aftertaste. Bananas and lemons, but it tastes like old.

Mouthfeel: Dry and cloying. Medium bodied. It ends sticky.

Overall, this beer was awful and I could not drink very much of it. Nothing with this beer worked. It tasted like soap and it tasted like old flavors. Definitely a drainpour.

2.23/5  rDev -34.2%

On tap at my work. Pours a clear golden color with a medium, white head. Scent is....ughhh....it's gross. It smells like dish soap. Dish soap with maybe a hint of pear and melon. The taste is not much better. Soapy taste with subtle fruitiness and intense pepper flavors. Black pepper and dish soap don't mix IMO. Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy...but somewhat crisp as well. Drinkability is low. Overall, I did not enjoy this beer.

2.6/5  rDev -23.3%

Had this on tap at Naja's for their New Belgium night. After reading the story behind the beer, I was pretty stoked to try it. 10 ingredients, 10%abv, brewed on 10/10/10 etc... Looked good in the glass. Nice golden color.

But that's about where it ended for me. The smell didn't exactly strike my fancy. And then the taste? One of the ingredients was black pepper, and it was incredibly apparent. Don't get me wrong, I love spicy beers, but they're usually stouts or some sort of strong, dark ale. A spicy pale ale just doesn't seem to work for me. Hops were very much in the background.

Overall, I didn't care for this beer. I didn't even finish it and let my buddy have the rest. It's definitely only for a small, percentage of craft beer drinkers. To each their own. Glad I got to try it though

2.95/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Another iPhone review.

Pours clear golden in a nice tulip... seems like a pretty chintzy pour though. Nice white head ... good lacing and okay retention.

Nose tons of fruity esters and a bit of white peppercorn.

Flavor has same pear ester prevalence with lesser spicy phenols... a bit unbalanced.. grainy malt sweetness makes it a bit sickly sweet toward the end of the glass.

Body is a solid medium, but very coating despite a huge carbonation.

Not a lot going on really... seems all over the place and never meshes.

3.5/3.5/2.5/3.5/3

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

388th review on BA
Draft to Chalice
10 oz.

New Belgium Hub @ Denver Airport

App- Golden neon color with a one finger crackly head that was quick to recede. Very nice cling in the glass.

Smell- To me it smelled quite nice with some pilsner notes in there and a spot or two for some sugary malts, a little fruit and some small yeast. I know there are 10 ingredients but I couldn't name em all.

Taste- Okay, damn it. I was expecting big things and this just was not it. A bit off for me. I mean it's a bigger beer and can hide somethings but the fruity notes were fine, it was the chalky, and bubble flavors I take issue with.

Mouth- Medium bodied although I could claim it was a big light bodied beer with a complimenting light/med carbonation level. A bit of a buttery after taste.

Drink- Eh. I was glad I got to try it, but the flight back to CA I was pretty let down. A very different turn for the style.

3.05/5  rDev -10%

Enjoyed on-tap @ The 3 Kings Public House in The Loop (St. Louis), MO for $5. Tapped from the Red/White Surfboard Looking Tap Handle w/ Lips of Faith on it & 10/10/10 on it into a 10oz Boulevard Smokestack Series Tulip Glass.

Aroma- Has a ton of apple in the aroma with strong sweetness. A small amount of hop is present as well but doesn't suite the style very well...

Appearance- Received with a less than 1 finger head that has decent retention. Has a light blonde color body that has great clarity. Leaves good lacing.

Flavor- Has a good amount of fruitiness in the taste and not much spice flavor.. Very malty and almost has a caramel and light roasty flavor here and not sure I was looking for this... Light-Medium hop bitterness but doesn't overpower this strong fruit/malt present.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, and has a finish that sparks up the mouth.

Overall Impression- Good brew but can't say it fit the style. It was almost an English Pale Ale and a Belgian IPA mixed together. Nice to try something different and off the beaten path but am not sure I would recommend this to people looking for a strong pale ale. Probably won't be seeing again either so great find! (I like enjoying these "special" brews).

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

Served from tap into a tulip. Poured golden yellow with a one finger pure white head that subsided to a half finger slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, spices, and wheat. The flavor was of sweet malt, cracked pepper, banana, spices, wheat, and alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with very high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. It wasn't that bad, but wasn't that great either. Both the flavor and aroma leave something to be desired if I'm honest. The solubilized carbon dioxide on this one is way too high as it actually burned my palate. Worth trying to say that you have ticked it, but that is about it.

3.28/5  rDev -3.2%

A: brIght gold, minimal white head, , some spotty lacing

S: lots of spice, cloves and coriander, Belgian yeast, dry bready character along with some white grapes

T: starts of very malty and sweet with white grapes and black pepper, finish is sweet and syrupy

Mf: body looks light which is deceiving, very thick and a bit syrupy

O: lacking in balance, some decent things going on, not sure that I'd try again

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Bittercreek pub, very nice appearance, 2" white head on a light yellow/wheat colored beer. Left some great lacing on the tulip shaped glass. Smell of floral and alcohol. Nice light taste with hints of citrus, and some malt, biscuit with a little hops at the back end. Pretty easy to drink for 10%, but it seemed closer to an Imperial Pilzner to me. Still a nice beer.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Served in tulip. Poured a clean clear light gold color with about an inch of white head that decent retention and good lacing.

The aroma had solid grain and spice, but yet again I meet that NB grape scent. The flavors were similar. I never pick up grape on the tongue like I do in the nose. The beer had good grains and a nice yeast taste.

The body was good, just a touch too sticky to be very good. Drinkability was very good, I can see me having a few more of these. Overall, a solid, tasty brew. A must try if you see it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »