Somersault - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Todd on 04-11-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Somersault Alström Bros
Reviews: 284 | Hads: 1,095
3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

Light creamy head with a bit of citrus and hops on the nose. Pale straw yellow color and clean appearance with steady flow of rising bubbles. Tight, sharp carbonation makes for great feel, also not to thin. Taste the same as the smell, slight hops with a citrus finish. A fairly drinkable beer, I'm sure I'll have it again.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Very nice notes of citrus and grains. I had a bit of an issue with getting choked on it... probably my lazy sipping mechanism... so I wont blame the beer. But, overall very nice and very drinkable. A very nice choice from NBB, not too over-rated like some of their other offerings. Order it and give it a try.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Somersault pours a nice amber color with a pure white, soft-looking head on top. There are small carbonation bubbles rising within the clear body.

The main aroma is piney hops. While distinct, the hops aroma isn't overpowering so I can tell the flavor will be fairly balanced between the hops and malt.

Again, I taste the piney hops well-balanced with the malt backbone. The beer isn't really bitter, but it has a nice crispness to it.

The mouthfeel isn't completely smooth, nor is it too strong. The amount of carbonation works perfectly for this style.

Overall, this is a really nice summer beer. I have enjoyed many beers by New Belgium in the past, but I haven't drank too many of their seasonals. This is a summer beer that I will look forward to drinking again.

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Clear light amber, average carbonation, very thin head.

S: Fruity, tangy citrus, light bread.

T: Immediate apricot tang, mild citrus hop bitterness, clean malt with an oaty backbone. The flavors linger and meld together to fuse into what can only be described as a vaporous pie. That familiar New Belgium yeast flavor comes through just barely on the exhale.

M: Lively and sparkling but somehow more substantial that expected. Decent body, probably from the oats.

O: A very refreshing and satisfying beer on the lighter side of the spectrum. Clean, clean, and direct in its intentions to enliven your summer days. I enjoyed this one more and more with continued sips.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

This is blonde ale with a bright golden look to it. A very nice smell to this beer. Very well balance and of course perfect for the summer. Hints why it is New Belgium's summer season. I have to say I am very impressive with this beer. I have to say this is the first beer from this brewery I would drink on a day to day bases. A nice finish to this beer. I really love the after taste of this beer. Find it before the summer ends. Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a nice golden orange. Smell is grainy, dry, and some citrus. Taste is not that complex to me. It is very dry and grainy... Not very balanced, and the ABV seems higher than it is. This one goes straight to my head without any nuanced enjoyment. It feels light, but the finish is so dry that it hurts drinkability. It has more of a "liquor" feel to it than a beer feel. Maybe that's just the style, but I don't particularly care for it. I don't think I would buy this one again. It just seems like alcohol for the sake of alcohol... nothing special to give it taste enjoyment.

3.59/5  rDev -5%

Poured into the New Belgium etched glass raises a foamy white one finger head on top of the light golden amber body. The foam lingers and a collar remains until the bottom.

The strong citrus aroma is strong and sweet, then there is a slight spicy anise-like fade in the smell.

This beer is so crisp that it is almost impossible to separate the taste from the mouthfeel, but I'll try. The entry is wheat with citrus, although it's my more subtle than the nose. Plenty of taste through the fade with a lingering bitterness.

This is a bright, crisp, clean beer with a ton of carbonation. Light, but not thin.

Since I am not a hophead, I can't put this in my top ten. But, I certainly can appreciate it.

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle poured into perfect pint glass

A: I got two fingers of bubbly and slightly creamy foam on a hard pour. The beer is a clear, golden straw color with lots of bubbles rising to the top. The head stuck around for a few minutes and left more lacing behind than I would have expected.

S: There is a light crisp scent with a bit of citrus and grass.

T: My first impression is of the crisp taste. There is a bit of depth in the flavor. It has a light malt taste with a touch of citrus coming through. It finishes short and clean.

M: It has a light mouthfeel. There is ample carbonation.

O: I have had almost a case of this beer now. I was really impressed with the beer when I first had it. I was staying in the desert and working outside all day. It was fantastically refreshing and flavorful in the heat. Now that I am in cooler weather in San Diego, I do not enjoy the beer as much. Still it is very well done, and is a good beer for initiating those who think they don’t like craft beer.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Light golden honey color with a thin layer of head (I’ve had this beer a couple of times and never really been able to get much head out of a pour). A lot of carbonation bubbles coming up from the bottom.

Aroma :Sweet and floral with a bit of hoppiness.

Flavor: Pretty mild. At first I didn’t taste much as was pretty disappointed with this beer. But after letting it settle in, there is a really intricate subtleness about Somersault. It just a blend of fruits and some hops finishing of with a floral sweetness.

Palette: High carbonation. Really light…almost watery. Super dry finish.

Overall: Easy to drink beer, and easy to dismiss as nothing special – admit tingly I did the first time I tried it. But as a light summer beer its got a really beauty to it. I’m glad I gave this one a second chance.

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from from 12 ounce bottle to jigger glass

Appearance: Nice two finger head of white foam that faded to some lacing. The color was straw/golden color and clear.

Aroma: Citrus and fruity apricot from mainly the hops and malt note at the end.

Taste: Tangy fruit start with a smooth malt finish almost like a sweet and sour sauce.

Mouthfeel: High amount of carbonation that fades to clinging to the palate

Overall impression: This beer doesn't fit into my normal scheme of brews. The sweet and sour nature is like yen and yang going at it. I like sweet beers and I like sour IPA's.. But the contrast is balanced and is interesting. I think this beer would be nice in a breakfast situation or with grilled fish.

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a blonde/copper body with about 2 fingers of frothy head.

S: Picking up some light apricots as well as some floral notes.

T: Not a whole lot going on here, real light, crisp with a little fruity-ness but nowhere near being a fruit beer.

M: Good carbonation, very crisp.

O: Not a bad beer, but nothing to look forward to either, I could see myself again drinking one in the summer at a BBQ or something if it was there, but won't go out of my way to drink it.

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%

Pour/Appearance: Minimal head, quickly disappearing head, which left thick lacing. Very clear/clean and deep amber in color.

Smell: Yeast, citrus, and floral notes

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied, not quite as smooth as expected, but this is not a complaint.

Taste: Lemon throughout and some grassy hops giving it a very slight bitterness.

Overall another great brew from New Belgium that's worth your time. I certainly won't fault the high rating the bros gave to this one.

4.27/5  rDev +13%

Served into a Bitburger Liter at Von Trier..

A: Slightly hazy copper color with close to 2 inches of a fluffy white head. Some lacing, retention was good although it didn't outlast the liter.

S: Very citrusy and some pine, scents of grain/bread as well. very pleasant.

T: Lots of flavor for the style, I thought it was more like a summer ale than a blonde, mostly Citrus and some piney hops but not overly bitter. The citrus is balanced by some slight malty grain flavor, but none of it lingers long, inviting me to take another drink!

M: This serving was well carbonated and light bodied.

D: I found this beer to be very drinkable and I took care of my 33.9 oz surprisingly quickly. If the weather had been warmer (and I had no obligations that evening) I wouldn't have hesitated to order another. Very

3.19/5  rDev -15.6%

appearance: nice looking beer. golden, bright, head dissipates into an attractive lace on the glass. yum!

smell: woah. weird. well, weird for me. grainy for sure, but there's something else going on here, and i'm not sure i like it....like a tart smell. interesting, but not making me want to take a huge sip or anything.

taste: woah redux. grains and tartness again. interesting again. not totally my cup of tea again, but i could see some really going for this. i appreciate that it's really like nothing i've ever had before, but it's not something i would necessarily go back for.

mouthfeel: fine. nothing spectacular, nothing terrible.

overall: i got a few of these in the summer mix twelver from NB. the first one i pretty much hated, and i'm reviewing the second one now. my opinion of the beer has definitely improved since my first taste of it, but it is not a beer i would buy on it's own in single, bomber, or sixpack format. a few in a twelve pack is just fine.

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%

I picked up a sixer yesterday. This is the first summer seasonal I've had this year.

Appearance: Just like the style implies, blonde. A golden, and very clear appearance.

Smell: Very citrus-like aroma, earthy tones as well as some floral notes.

Taste: About the same as the smell, you can really taste the hops which is perfect for the target season. There is a bite toward the end that I cannot quite place. Suggestions? Great after being in the sun, bring on the summertime!! I would expect no less from New Belgium. Great beer.

Mouthfeel: Very clean and crisp, this is perfect for a summer beer. Goes down very easily. I personally dont care for "heavy" or "thick" beers in the summer (Which is contiguous with winter stouts and ales.)

3.51/5  rDev -7.1%

12 oz Bottle poured into a warm glass

A: Yellow color

S: Nice light malty aroma

T: Very light and slightly sweet. Faintly bitter. Very crisp and refreshing. Great on nice warm day.

M: Very crisp, refreshing and smooth.

O: Something I would reach for one nice warm day when I looking to have a few beers. Good summer style.

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours golden with a really nice white head that clings to the glass. Aroma is very malty with a hint of citrus. Wow, flavor is not what I expected at all: again malty, but like a whole grain cracker with no sweetness. The hops make their presence known with a lime note in the finish. While this is an ale, it reminds me more of a pilsner and is equally drinkable on this hot Texas afternoon. I wish I had a sixer of this. Very, very easy to drink. Definitely one for those lawn chair days.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a 2-finger head, which stays for a little while, has a dark, cloudy yellow appearance. I did not detect much of an aroma in this one.

Taste: strong, yeasty, but tasty! with a yeasty finish

Mouthfeel: strong, tangy, carbonated, goes down easy

Overall: a great sipping beer for a warm, summer day

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%

Wow ... BA wouldn't accept my original review (since it was only 135 characters). Kind of ironic, since the bros can't seem to get enough of that Twitter sh*t!

A refreshing summer brew with characteristic NB flavor. Malts are grassy and smooth. Clean, spicy hops in the finish. Time for another.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Got a 6 pack at a local liquor store.

Absolutely love Somersault from New Belgium, one of my favorite Blonde Ales and summer seasonal. The taste is fantastic, a nice blend of citrus and smooth finish. I highly recommend this beer to anyone for a summer beer, very easy to relax and enjoy a nice summer's day with.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Its the lightest tasting ale I've ever had. Its almost tasteless in a way but very refreshing. Its not sweet not bitter not watery not much of anything but refreshing. The smell is pleasent but nothing different, the color is nice and light and the head is average. I recommend as a nice session beer.

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into chilled Pint Glass.

A: Light yellow with notes of amber.

S: You can smell the oats, its not strong like in a oatmeal stout but its there, mixes well with softer tones of centennial hops.

T: Reminds me of an orange malt shake, that is to say the malt is there and thick but there is a good deal of malt with underwhelming hop presence.

M: Light and breezy something I could drink all day long on a summer day.

O: Almost perfection, I think a bit thick on the oats, would like a bit better hop presence, but close...oh so close.

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Light golden color.
S: Floral and delicate.
T: Very clean and refreshing.
M: The right amount of carbonation.
O: Delicious and thirst-quenching. Perfect for summer.

This beer reminds me of one of New Belgium's other terrific beers, Mighty Arrow.

The recipe is not revolutionary, but when something is done right it doesn't need to stand out.

Gotta' love the play on words.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

New Belgium Somersault is a good summer brew. I poured the bottle into a pint glass. The beer has a blond color to it, and as many summer brews has the fragrance of citrus.

This is not a sweet beer, so if you are the type that likes your summer beer to taste like you are drinking a glass of lemonade steer clear. However if you are in the mood for a beer that is a little bit bitter, and quite refreshing this is the beer for you.

This beer goes down very easy and is a perfect choice for a sunny day outside. Whether you are on the back deck, mowing the yard, or off to the beach, this beer is sure to satisfy.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

This is my first review on BeerAdvocate, so bear with me on my virgin run.

Serving Type: Bottle to New Belgium globe glass.

A: Straw blonde in high light, amber in low light. 1/2" head when poured (maybe I poured too fast?), settling into a 1/8" head that lingers. Nice lacing.

S: Fruity and bright smell; apricot notes.

T: Bright and crisp with a hoppy pinch. A bit of sour. Fruity overtones with a smooth and malty finish.

M: A nice bite at first, with a malty middle and a bit of a watery finish. Little to no aftertaste.

O: Great summertime beer, and that is what it was brewed for. I love New Belgium beers, and this is probably second to Fat Tire. I would recommend this for a hot summer afternoon as it is crip and refreshing and not too heavy. I would also recommend this for someone who regularly drinks commercial beers and wants to explore new territory.

Somersault from New Belgium Brewing