Somersault - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Todd on 04-11-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Somersault Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,044 | Reviews: 281
4.23/5  rDev +12.2%

I picked up a sixer yesterday. This is the first summer seasonal I've had this year.

Appearance: Just like the style implies, blonde. A golden, and very clear appearance.

Smell: Very citrus-like aroma, earthy tones as well as some floral notes.

Taste: About the same as the smell, you can really taste the hops which is perfect for the target season. There is a bite toward the end that I cannot quite place. Suggestions? Great after being in the sun, bring on the summertime!! I would expect no less from New Belgium. Great beer.

Mouthfeel: Very clean and crisp, this is perfect for a summer beer. Goes down very easily. I personally dont care for "heavy" or "thick" beers in the summer (Which is contiguous with winter stouts and ales.)

3.51/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz Bottle poured into a warm glass

A: Yellow color

S: Nice light malty aroma

T: Very light and slightly sweet. Faintly bitter. Very crisp and refreshing. Great on nice warm day.

M: Very crisp, refreshing and smooth.

O: Something I would reach for one nice warm day when I looking to have a few beers. Good summer style.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours golden with a really nice white head that clings to the glass. Aroma is very malty with a hint of citrus. Wow, flavor is not what I expected at all: again malty, but like a whole grain cracker with no sweetness. The hops make their presence known with a lime note in the finish. While this is an ale, it reminds me more of a pilsner and is equally drinkable on this hot Texas afternoon. I wish I had a sixer of this. Very, very easy to drink. Definitely one for those lawn chair days.

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a 2-finger head, which stays for a little while, has a dark, cloudy yellow appearance. I did not detect much of an aroma in this one.

Taste: strong, yeasty, but tasty! with a yeasty finish

Mouthfeel: strong, tangy, carbonated, goes down easy

Overall: a great sipping beer for a warm, summer day

3.76/5  rDev -0.3%

Wow ... BA wouldn't accept my original review (since it was only 135 characters). Kind of ironic, since the bros can't seem to get enough of that Twitter sh*t!

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

A refreshing summer brew with characteristic NB flavor. Malts are grassy and smooth. Clean, spicy hops in the finish. Time for another.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Got a 6 pack at a local liquor store.

Absolutely love Somersault from New Belgium, one of my favorite Blonde Ales and summer seasonal. The taste is fantastic, a nice blend of citrus and smooth finish. I highly recommend this beer to anyone for a summer beer, very easy to relax and enjoy a nice summer's day with.

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Its the lightest tasting ale I've ever had. Its almost tasteless in a way but very refreshing. Its not sweet not bitter not watery not much of anything but refreshing. The smell is pleasent but nothing different, the color is nice and light and the head is average. I recommend as a nice session beer.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into chilled Pint Glass.

A: Light yellow with notes of amber.

S: You can smell the oats, its not strong like in a oatmeal stout but its there, mixes well with softer tones of centennial hops.

T: Reminds me of an orange malt shake, that is to say the malt is there and thick but there is a good deal of malt with underwhelming hop presence.

M: Light and breezy something I could drink all day long on a summer day.

O: Almost perfection, I think a bit thick on the oats, would like a bit better hop presence, but close...oh so close.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Light golden color.
S: Floral and delicate.
T: Very clean and refreshing.
M: The right amount of carbonation.
O: Delicious and thirst-quenching. Perfect for summer.

This beer reminds me of one of New Belgium's other terrific beers, Mighty Arrow.

The recipe is not revolutionary, but when something is done right it doesn't need to stand out.

Gotta' love the play on words.

4.9/5  rDev +30%

My favorite beer of all time. It just sucks that I have to buy 8 inferior beers to get 4.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

New Belgium Somersault is a good summer brew. I poured the bottle into a pint glass. The beer has a blond color to it, and as many summer brews has the fragrance of citrus.

This is not a sweet beer, so if you are the type that likes your summer beer to taste like you are drinking a glass of lemonade steer clear. However if you are in the mood for a beer that is a little bit bitter, and quite refreshing this is the beer for you.

This beer goes down very easy and is a perfect choice for a sunny day outside. Whether you are on the back deck, mowing the yard, or off to the beach, this beer is sure to satisfy.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

This is my first review on BeerAdvocate, so bear with me on my virgin run.

Serving Type: Bottle to New Belgium globe glass.

A: Straw blonde in high light, amber in low light. 1/2" head when poured (maybe I poured too fast?), settling into a 1/8" head that lingers. Nice lacing.

S: Fruity and bright smell; apricot notes.

T: Bright and crisp with a hoppy pinch. A bit of sour. Fruity overtones with a smooth and malty finish.

M: A nice bite at first, with a malty middle and a bit of a watery finish. Little to no aftertaste.

O: Great summertime beer, and that is what it was brewed for. I love New Belgium beers, and this is probably second to Fat Tire. I would recommend this for a hot summer afternoon as it is crip and refreshing and not too heavy. I would also recommend this for someone who regularly drinks commercial beers and wants to explore new territory.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

This ale has honey golden color with a head that clings for a long time. The smell is bright with a hint of complexity. The flavor has a medium body but a lot of balance between bitter and sweet and maltiness. The flavor stays on the tongue for a long time and continues to get better sip by sip. This is a fantastic session ale.

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

Wasn't sure quite to expect but enjoyed this! Perfect for drinking on the patio on a Summer evening or with a light lunch! Been looking for a good summer beer since the demise of Petes Rally Cap! This has hints of citrus in a bright light beer that goes down all too easily!

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

I really liked it. I found it refreshing and very tasty. I was apprehensive about trying it because I didn't like some of the other beers from New Belgium but I really enjoyed this. Perfect for a hot summer night. Good fruity taste that is very smooth.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A - It pours pale golden with very nice clarity and a decent head and beautiful lace.

S - A subtle blend of grainy malt, peach fruitiness, and citric hops.

T - A rush of citric, herbal hops meet your palate followed by a subtle malty, fruity sweetness that ends with a semi-short, dry finish.

M - Medium mouth feel due to the perfect level of carbonation in this beer.

O - It took me a couple of sips to like it, but now I can't stop drinking it. This beer can be quite assertive when you first try it, but believe me, it only gets better. Great summer beer. It could make a great pairing for an Asian salad or a Rosemary lemon chicken. Probably very good with Thai food as well.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Great new beer from NB. Very refreshing and light. Great smooth lacing with a light golden color.

Hit with spicy flavors and smoth finish. Ice cold makes you want another taste. Great for summer time parties and a BBQ. You can eat good food and still have room for a another Somersault.

Another amazing product from an amazing AMERICAN owned company.

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A clear bright yellow gold color with just a hint of orange. Had about an inch of bright white head which quickly gets out of your way.

The nose is faint: floral with a touch of lemon.

A very smooth beer. Very nice mouthfeel. Bright and crisp with the lemony citrus the aroma promised you. The finish is a slight hoppy bite that (like summer itself) fades quickly on the tongue and leaves you longing for more.

I will definitely be enjoying several Somersaults this summer.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

First time I've had this beer it reminds me of Sunshine Wheat in that it was missing something...A orange or lemon slice and sad to say I didn't have either but I am happy to say a slice of grape fruit made this beer just right. If you get this beer I think a lemon slice would make it much better.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

A - Golden, amber color. Medium to thin head.

S - Clean, citrus aroma. Light malt, toasty quality.

T - First sip was very refreshing, like a good pilsner or wit might be, but the experience is much more complex. Oaty. No hop bite. Caramel finish, similar to an amber ale.

M - Crisp, smooth.

O - Fantastic ale. Great for if you want substantive flavor without the high ABV of an IPA. Hard to categorize and/or compare head to head with other beers I've tasted, and I like that about it.

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

has the same high brownish/dark yellow hue of many IPA's when poured from a 12oz. bottle. Had the same distinctive fruit and hop smells of a classic IPA. Even tasted something like a mild IPA upon first taste. However, finished with the sweet malt notes of a lager. Imagine if Sam Adams Boston Lager had slightly more pronounced hop notes and toned down its big malt finish a bit. Very interesting and VERY good beer.

Somersault from New Belgium Brewing