Lips Of Faith - Super Cru - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: daledeee on 04-28-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Super Cru Alström Bros
firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
3.29/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a copper/amber color, super clear and clean, with a nice big tan head. The nose is big saison yeast, complimented with a touch of sweet apple, pear, and biscuit malt. Nothing too impressive. The flavor is sweet with big flavors of apple and pear. That biscuit malt flavor from fat tire is present as well as a bit of spice and that saison yeastiness. Its kinda like a really sweet, fruitier version of fat tire, missing just a bit of that richness. The mouthfeel is nice, with good, not too aggressive carbonation and a sweet, but not overly coating finish. Overall, this I not quite what I expected, and yet I am not sure how it would have worked otherwise. The sweetness could be toned down a touch and replaced with more of that signature rich malt flavor from fat tire. But I'm nitpicking. I though this beer was alright and am somewhat surprised by the average score.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Looking at the other reviews, I think this is about to become my new high rDev beer. Why all the hate? This is good stuff! Served from a bomber in a Budweiser Signature glass.

The beer pours amber with deep red tones, somewhat like a Fat Tire with a beautifully fluffy off-white head. Leaves nice lacing and a layer of foam on top of the glass all the way through.

This beer smells like apples and Unibroue yeast. The apples aren't overwhelming and I love Unibroue... so this scores good points with me.

The taste is fruity, round and smooth. Some of the Unibroue spice with an added small peppery kick thrown at the end. The beer is maybe a bit sweet... and that builds... but I really can't complain. Much lighter than the 10% ABV.

This blend of all things New Belgium (except for the beautiful sour wing... why no Love?). It works darned well in my opinion.

Edit: Gets solventy as it warms and loses some flavor. Drink it cold. Points docked accordingly. It was great initially!

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a beautiful, crystal clear amber color with a small off white head. Head falls to just a minor ring around the glass pretty quickly.

Nose is of Belgian yeast, a malt aroma similar to Fat Tire (as expected), tart apples, and a bit of pear. The yeast smell is a little strong for me.

Tons of yeast in the taste with pear and apple. Some saison-like pepper flavor as well with other earthy-type spices. I'm not sure the pear really works with the yeast used. At the very end I get a slight hint of the biscuit malt used in Fat Tire.

Light body with fairly light carbonation.

This sounded great, but I was disappointed. Flavors did not meld well together and it is somewhat astringent.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

This has been described by NB as being a "Double Fat Tire" and I'd say that's pretty fitting. Although it should be pointed out they are using a different yeast and have added Asian pear juice.
Pours an amber brown color with a big head coming off a normal pour. Mmmmkay.
The nose is sweet with notes of brown sugar and the strawberry character that I've always gotten from Fat Tire. There's also a hint of Belgian yeast that comes over as a bit sour in the nose.
The flavor really didn't take me anywhere I didn't expect, but I suppose that isn't bad. Sweet biscuity malts with hints of strawberry hit up front and are followed by the Belgian yeast notes, which always seem to have a corn-like flavor for me. They don't necessarily work together, but there's nothing bad either. I'd just say it's a bit of a flavor disconnect.
Mouthfeel is a little thin, especially considering the initial amount of foam.
Not too bad, but nothing amazing. I think fans of Fat Tire will likely be happy, and maybe this would be a springboard to their bolder other items...but I'm not sure they're who this is targeted for.
I probably won't buy another since it wasn't exactly cheap, but if I saw it on tap I'd give it another go if the price was right.

It's really hard for me to say I'm disappointed just because I think this probably is what it's supposed to be and is what I expected. It's not really good or bad, but at $9-10 per bottle it's something I can't imagine many beer geeks going back to.

2.83/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from bottle into New Belgium globe.

A: Pours a translucent amber orange with a finger of head that slightly dissipates leaving a full coating across the glass. Strong carbonation coming from the middle of the glass and just trickling up at the sides. Tight thin bubbles.

S: Smells of belgian yeast, some fruit and bread. The smell is not overpowering. Not sure I'm picking up any pear juice in the nose.

T: Ooo this beer just took a turn for the worse. Lots of malt, and yeast, in fact too much almost as it overpowers the beer. Has a bit of an off flavor which I don't know what it is.

M: Moderate to heavy carbonation, bubbles continue coming up rapidly throughout the entirety of the beer. Finish is dry, coats your mouth with a stickyness of malt.

O: I don't know what New Belgium was thinking, this is their 20th anniversary beer? I was sooo excited for this beer, as New Belgium makes some amazing lips of faith beers, but I feel like they could've done something more special for their anniversary. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad beer, definitely not a drain pour or anything, I just was expecting more. I'll finish the bomber but that will probably be the last time I have this beer.

3.09/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light copper/amber into a NB globe glass with a nice inch of rather fizzy off white head that settles down quickly to a denser cap of white lace with spotty inconsistent lacing.

The biscuit malts I'd expected from this since it's using a fat tire base is quite muted, rather a sticky sweet bun malt aroma mixed with some Belgian yeast, pepper and saison funk start to arise. The Asian pear juice aroma is noticable, a cross between apples, unripe bartlett pears and a spritz of lemon. I think this is exactly how they drew it up.

Once again the malt character is light there is some biscuit malt but for the most part comes off as a flaky pastry feel, light and airy. Fruit sweetness comes in especially as the beer warms, a bit of farmhouse matched with light amounts of earthy spices, lemon zest, apples and pear juice. No hop character nor a strong malt envelope, lightly fruity, funky, and tart, nothing seems to want to be assertive here, except perhaps the alcohol. A bit disappointed, like sipping on hard cider with a stale poptart.

Mild carbonation and a very light body, despite this the beer is neither crisp or tart enough to shine through. The alcohol is very present after the drink because there isn't enough body to hide it but at least there isn't a mouth coating or sticky feel.

I found it odd that NB decided to use Asian pear juice, while a unique ingredient Asian pears are special due to their crispness and texture not their command of flavor. Bad investment even at 8.99 a bomber, the recent Lips of Faith have been excellent but IMO this is the biggest let down since Vrienden, lacks the balance, body and sessionable feel which Fat Tire brings to the table. Not a drain pour but not really worth seeking out again. It's your 20 year anniversary NB next time let's celebrate with a party not a hangover.

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

22 oz bomber. Beautiful copper red pour with a nice foamy head that dissipates slowly. Descripted as Fat Tire as the base with Asain pear juice, it has the maltiness of Fat Tire on the aroma, along with a added belgian yeast characteristic. Mildly carbonated, touches of caramel and yeasty flavors and an interesting fruit sweetness. Has a sticky malt finish. My wife is a big Fat Tire fan, but found this one too bready for her taste. As a belgian beer fan, I thought it was an improvement..

2.05/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Deep copper orange color, mostly clear. Barely one finger of off white head with some retention and good lace.

S: Pear, sweet apple and a bit of yeasty malt.

T: Carries over from the smell, more pear and apple, with some peppery spice added by the alcohol. Reminiscent of a strong hefeweizen in some ways. There is also a soapy aspect that gradually overtakes the beer. A fair dose of clove and cinnamon on the finish. Unfortunately, the soap builds and builds over time. Sweetness also grows with time, and some darker fruits emerge toward the end of the glass. There is complexity, and some good flavors buried in here, but overall it's really horrible, even lower than a 1.0. Sheer stubborness stands between this and a drainpour.

M: Medium with a little creaminess and some oil.

O: Bleah. Too bad, had high hopes for this one, but it's not really doing it for me at all. By far my least favorite of the Lips of Faith to date. Well, I do like a lot of their other beers, but this one is a real let down-- a struggle to get through the glass, persisting in hopes that something improves. It doesn't.

In terms of style, possibly classify as an American Amber, like it's little brother (which is a much better beer).

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

A new beer to Iowa. So far, I have liked the Lips of Faith Series.

A 22oz bomber poured into my large wine glass. I got a nice bright brown with off white head. The head left no lace and went away to no head.

Nose is fruit, spice, earth and alcohol.

Taste is malty, sweet, fruity, yeast and some spice. This is a "hot" beer with in your face alcohol. Overall I can only say average. It will probably be better if it is aged.

NOTE: I could not find the classification of this beer; so I used my best judgement, if someone else has a better idea please feel free to change.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last