Lips Of Faith - Super Cru - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: daledeee on 04-28-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Super Cru Alström Bros
firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
2.38/5  rDev -29.6%

Edit: let it warm to proper temperature to really taste it. I finally reached the bottom of the bottle and as this thing warms, it becomes undrinkable French Whore Perfume. Oh God it is bad, very bad.

Starts off with a beautiful appearance - rich amber/orangey color with generous white head.

Nose has some decent components too - mixed fruits, yeasty/bready things going on, and a resemblance to Fat Tire aroma.

Palate is where this thing betrays. Mixed fruit is there, but also a boozy quality, and an ugly nasty perfumey taste that takes over. It's as if by some mistake the biscuity malt just mixes with the citrus wrong and it's a perfume bomb.

Finish is total French Whore Perfume. Oh God, it just won't go away. (722 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -30.5%

From bottle to tulip glass

Good lord, what happened here? Super Cru appears like it should, starting out with a leather-mahogany color, frothy head. Doesn't smell too bad either; nice Belgian yeasty notes and the added pear. But man, does this taste awful. I'm not going to go into detail on this one, doesn't really deserve it, but this tastes like someone dumped pear juice into Fat Tire. Treacly and boring at the same time. I'm not sure how this was grouped with the Lips of Faith series. (493 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -31.1%

A: Amber, reddish brown. Decent tannish-white head.

S: Smells like alcohol, solvent, a little bit of pear, and licorice.

T: Overly sweet. Licorice. Syrupy. Not very malty to me at all. No hops. Very cloying. Definite boozy taste.

M: Much like the taste. Syrupy. Too thick for what it is. Leaves a film in my mouth. Ugh...i just want the aftertaste to go away!

O: Very disappointed. I love Fat Tire. This was nothing at all like Fat Tire. I'd rather have a case of Fat Tire than drink one of these again. Wish I could say better things about it, but it just didn't work for me. (581 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -38.2%

Welcome to DC New Belgium!

A: Blood red, mildly cloudy, with a slight head that didn't amount to much. I guess a mild bit of sawdust topping survived the session.

S: Bad. Grassy, wheaty, with a slight bit of hoppiness, lots of candy sugar, and rotten fruit...

T: Very heavy-handed on the yeast and sugar, along with more than a tinge of rotten banana. I didn't detect any pear juice, or anything that even resembled pear.

M: Carbonation moderate, with a mild bit of lacing and lots of sugar.... too much even.

O: Ridiculous and un-palate-ful beer. I poured the rest out. (575 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -38.8%

Duvel Tulip

A ~ Pours amber with no real head to speak of. Mostly just suds with delicate bubbles rising ever so slowly.

S ~ Pears & applesauce upfront.
Strong yeast notes...floral notes of rosebush

T ~ Old Pears & the juice squeezed from said pears. Alcohol. Overly gummy yeast. A mess of cough syrup & white grape juice. A very odd leafy quality lingers amongst the boozy fruit notes. Hint of lemon juice.

M ~ Hot, Hot, Hot! Very loose & without cohesion on the palette. Medicinal notes midpalette are way too overt & detract from the flavor of the beer. I don't usualy cringe when I drink BSPAs, but I did here.

D ~ Too hot! This beer is not together at all. Hoped for MUCH more than was deliver. This is Strike 2 for the "Cru" beers of the Lips of Faith series. (774 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -39.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Deep copper orange color, mostly clear. Barely one finger of off white head with some retention and good lace.

S: Pear, sweet apple and a bit of yeasty malt.

T: Carries over from the smell, more pear and apple, with some peppery spice added by the alcohol. Reminiscent of a strong hefeweizen in some ways. There is also a soapy aspect that gradually overtakes the beer. A fair dose of clove and cinnamon on the finish. Unfortunately, the soap builds and builds over time. Sweetness also grows with time, and some darker fruits emerge toward the end of the glass. There is complexity, and some good flavors buried in here, but overall it's really horrible, even lower than a 1.0. Sheer stubborness stands between this and a drainpour.

M: Medium with a little creaminess and some oil.

O: Bleah. Too bad, had high hopes for this one, but it's not really doing it for me at all. By far my least favorite of the Lips of Faith to date. Well, I do like a lot of their other beers, but this one is a real let down-- a struggle to get through the glass, persisting in hopes that something improves. It doesn't.

In terms of style, possibly classify as an American Amber, like it's little brother (which is a much better beer). (1,266 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served in a tulip at the Flying Saucer, looks fine, brown with a hint of red, tough to tell in the low lighting. Foamy head.

Smell is full of Belgian yeast with a somewhat astringent/harsh finish.

Taste is... not good. I get the pears a little bit, along with quite a bit of burn. The first sip was not so bad, but this was not a fun one to finish. Way too harsh and some solvent flavors. Unfortunate that NB feels this beer should be called Super Cru. (454 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -52.1%

I can't justify giving this beer a legit review. I dumped it out.

it's possible it was infected I guess. but it tasted smokey, with minimal citrus notes.

I will probably never buy another lips of faith series besides La Terrior.

sorry for being negative, but seriously... double the fat tire recipe plus pear juice and saison yeast, why did I ever think this would be good?

turrible. (388 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -65.7%

This beer pours a light bodied, very clear and translucent bright copper in color with a one finger off white head. It looks like it may even be filtered. How can any "Cru" look this clear? It smells god awful. It smells of fermenting rotten sweet pears. I didn't know I was composting in my glass. Great. It tastes of rotten, fermenting pears with a touch of alcohol and honey. It's so light in body and the style and the alcohol content. I don't know what they were aiming for but they missed horribly. At 10.49 a bottle, this is one of the worst beers I've ever had, especially for the price point. I wish they'd take a moment to improve their Lips of Faith series. Le Terroir was and is phenomenal, their Dunkel is good, La Folie is exceptional, but everything else is low grade. This "Super Cru" never should've been made. How did this get approved? AVOID! I wouldn't drink this again if it granted me eternal life or provided me with an opportunity to slap Ronald Reagan. (977 characters)

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last