Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

This pleasing, two-part, potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.

(Beer added by: chumba526 on 08-06-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration Alström Bros
EgadBananas

Louisiana

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Pours nearly stout dark, with a medium brown head. Definitely darker than anticipated.

Roasted aroma, chocolate, coffee, toffee, and a buttery diacytol aroma...in this occurrence, it works for me. There is a touch of sour on the back end. Taste was nicely mirrored, with again, the tart coming on the finish. Nice almost full body, with a pleasant creaminess.

Not much for sours, but the sour parts were minimal and blended in nicely. I'd drink it again!

11-11-2011 19:49:09 | More by EgadBananas
rmcnealy

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a non-translucent dark brown with a very small mocha colored head that fleeted quickly leaving just a small lace around the edge of the glass. The initial aromas are of mocha and coffee beans, caramel and roast. The taste is not overly robust, similarly to the aroma, but is rather refreshing. Not too complex but what is done simply here is done correct. A very good beer with just the right amount of finish which leaves with no ill taste. Like others, I fail to see the 'sour' in this 'dark sour ale' but nonetheless it was a good choice. Better than some of the other Lips of Faith collabs.

Found at Cardinal Liq's, Niles IL - Enjoy!

10-31-2011 01:32:04 | More by rmcnealy
MountainBeagle

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Background: Labeled as a Dark Sour Ale, 9% at $8 a bottle from New Belgium in Lips of Faith Series.

First Thoughts: Definitely not a sour, it's barely there. Mislabeled? Tastes awesome though, a lot going on.

The Good: Cherries, coffee, chocolate, some fruit, slight sourness, it reminds me of Stone Cherry Chocolate stout minus the sourness.

The Bad: If you are expecting a sour don't buy this it will disappoint you. If you are expecting a dark ale you might be disappointed as well.

The Bottom Line: I really like this beer. I can't believe people poured this out :( It is a mix of two styles which I appreciate as a brewer because of skill and time it takes to make but it does not really excel in either sourness or malt profile. I'd give it a solid B + and for New Belgium it surprises me (Sorry I had low expectations). I am hearing good things about their Lips of Faith series and they have my attention.

09-17-2011 04:20:23 | More by MountainBeagle
dogbones

3.7/5  rDev 0%

This is my 1st review. I have read many and have learned a lot. I figured my 1st review should be on something that I have had many times. That being said, I bout a sixtel of Clutch and have had it many times. Tonight, as I type, I am currently enjoying a 3/4 pill into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass.

The appearance of this beer is dark brown. The head is linen in color and is around 1/2 inch. The lacing is very apparent and streaks the side of the glass during consumption.

The aroma reminds me of dates and strong vinegar. There is a hint of funk but it adds to the over-all sour presentation.

The mouthfeel is solid and almost coats your mouth and tongue. Its warming but not hot and tingles a bit in the back of the throat.

Taste follows aroma to closely. The is a burnt date taste mixed with a slightly overpowering vinegar pucker. Strangely, just a hair of Doritos funk follows the swallow.

Overall, I have enjoyed this 1/6th barrel.

11-29-2011 00:09:08 | More by dogbones
claspada

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a dark dark brown, borderline black with no light visibility and a light brown fluffy head that slowly recedes leaving some spotty lacing.

Aromas begin dead on for Hersey's chocolate syrup. Lots of baker's cocoa, dark chocolate, milk chocolate. As it warms you get some of the dark fruitiness, highlighted mainly by a dark cherry smell. I also get some instant espresso or black coffee smell in there as well. Some interesting notes of dirt, earth, must and recently buzz-sawed wood shavings become apparent with my second half of the 22oz. I enjoyed it much more when I first opened this.

The tastes begin with the dark black coffee and dark bittersweet chocolate. There is a light dark fruitiness in there as well but not really sour or tart like I would expect for your typical sour ale regardless of the beer base. The dominant flavors are roasted malts, dark chocolate, baker's cocoa and light espresso. Kind of reminds me of a higher ABV stout that has been cellared for at least 3 years; I find some cellared stouts or porters have a dark fruitiness that accompanies the roasted malt flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with moderate carbonation. It is kind of thin as far as a stout would go but it's appropriate for a sour ale (the only problem is that this tastes way too much like a standard stout as opposed to a sour ale), so I am conflicted here.

Overall this a good tasting beer, don't get me wrong, but it misses the mark for what I believe the brewer was intending. If I tasted this blind I would say this is a great, well balanced, American stout that probably had a few years of age due to the slight dark fruit/sour flavors, but would never had guessed it was less than a year old sour dark ale. If you want a good beer, I recommend this, if you want a sour dark ale, eh, I would pass. [Maybe it just needs time to age but I think New Belgium filters or pasteurizes their beers so I don't think this will age particularly well.]

10-21-2011 23:40:31 | More by claspada
GeezLynn

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pitch black with a tall frothy brown head. Looks inviting.
S: Deep roasted malts, milk chocolate, tart cherries, and a bit minerally.
T: Starts with roasted malt and mild cherry pie tartness. Tartness transitions into a dry smokiness. Finshes a bit chalky and ashy.
M: Medium-bodied with full carbonation. Could be a little "quieter".

I went back and forth on this one, both appreciating the interesting combination of flavors and then disliking the clash between the strong ashy flavors and tartness. Worth a try, but one and done for me.

11-26-2012 06:35:24 | More by GeezLynn
jamescain

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip, thanks to texasclimber for sharing.

Appearance: Pours a black with slight reddish hues when held to the light with a tan colored head about a finger thick that fades into a thin lacing.

Aroma: Interesting mix of berries, for some reason I want to say elderberry, with coffee, roasted grain, and chocolate.

Taste: Tart cherries, coffee and chocolate, an interesting mix.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with medium carbonation and a slight acidity.

Overall: Interesting beer, reminds me of a cherry stout, although not as well executed.

09-07-2011 18:31:06 | More by jamescain
SkeeterHawk

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

I picked this beer up at the downtown Spec's in Houston a couple days ago. I am liking the black IPA concepts that are coming out here lately, so this sour black ale is a twist on that theme I guess. Kudos, New Belgium, for pushing the envelope. Let's see how this beer holds up.

Appearance: Pours a very dark color with a small 1/4" at its peak head that was made of some pretty "airy" bubbles that was fading right after the pour and was just a ring after about 45 seconds.

Aroma: The aroma was chock full of dark malts, so mush that they are coming across as a bit ashy. There is some chocolate in there and the caramel sweetness is there, but the sourness is playing a supporting role in the aroma in the cold beer so far. The aroma is getting more coffee like as the beer sits and is reminding me more of a Porter than anything.

Taste: The flavor departs from the aroma, which is a good thing. The flavor is still very centered on the dark malts, but the overall presentation isn't nearly as acidic as I thought that it would be from the aroma. The body is thinner than I expected as well...thought there is a lot of caramel in the aroma, in the flavor it is more supportive. The sourness is definitely becoming more noticeable as it warms up some, but it is always playing a supportive role...and not necessarily in a good way. The hops are there in flavoring, but are luckily reserved in the finish so the dark malts and attenuation are the bigger players in the finish. The carbonation is a little on the light side, but since the mouthfeel of the beer is so light, this goes with the whole ensemble.

Opinion: Overall this is a pretty decent beer, but I am thinking that maybe this style, or this interpretation of the style they were trying to create, may have missed the boat. It isn't absolutely outstanding, but it doesn't suck by any means. I am a big fan of sour beers, but this one just doesn't have the "bite" that I like and doesn't seem much more sour than a Guinness (though in a different way). I can't imagine that this beer is going to get much better with time, and I have one more, so I will probably be sharing that with friends someday soon. I'd try this beer if you like Stouts or Porters and don't mind the complexity offered by a sour component. Otherwise, this beer may not be for you.

10-26-2011 02:31:09 | More by SkeeterHawk