Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: chumba526 on 08-06-2011

This pleasing, two-part, potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev 0%

This is my 1st review. I have read many and have learned a lot. I figured my 1st review should be on something that I have had many times. That being said, I bout a sixtel of Clutch and have had it many times. Tonight, as I type, I am currently enjoying a 3/4 pill into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass.

The appearance of this beer is dark brown. The head is linen in color and is around 1/2 inch. The lacing is very apparent and streaks the side of the glass during consumption.

The aroma reminds me of dates and strong vinegar. There is a hint of funk but it adds to the over-all sour presentation.

The mouthfeel is solid and almost coats your mouth and tongue. Its warming but not hot and tingles a bit in the back of the throat.

Taste follows aroma to closely. The is a burnt date taste mixed with a slightly overpowering vinegar pucker. Strangely, just a hair of Doritos funk follows the swallow.

Overall, I have enjoyed this 1/6th barrel.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Opaque, dark brown with a fluffy tan head.

S - Mostly roasty. Not a lot of sourness coming through in the aroma.

T - Chocolately, with a subtle sourness. Very pleasant. Nice complexity.

M - Fairly silky, comparable to a typical stout.

O - A surprisingly good beer. Roasty and full-flavored like a stout, but with a subdued sourness. If you're not a big fan of sour beers, don't be afraid of this one. It's a nice complex stout with a manageable sourness.

Served into a New Belgium tulip glass at Eureka Burger, Claremont, California.

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer is aaamazing. I love Clutch, but I really don't think it's pivotal to my opinion. I'm not uber into sours, but this beer is the right amount of column A column B for me!!
Pours with a great head, that dissipates significantly, but leaves about a half inch of head. Pours just short of the opacity of your typical porter.
I get cherry, chocolate, touch of coffee and lactic acid in the nose.
Taste is sublime. Love this stuff! All NB sours I've tried are way sour... I admittedly am not a sour buff. This is, to me, the apex example of a mix between sour cherry and mocha, put super-simply. Seems oak aged, but not sure that it is, woody character. I don't know what it means for a 'sour stout' to be balanced but, till further debunked, this is the standard.
Mouthfeel is moderate, not thin but less than syrupy, carbonation is where I want it to be.
This beer was more than I wanted. Clutch, you hypnotize me again. New Belgium, there's hope for us yet.

An amazing beer.

It pours dark and majestic, releasing a true 'sour' aroma, tantalizing the observer. While crashing upon the palate, this beer comes on strong with a true belgian sour taste, but is then overcome by a true dark porter bitters. While this would be nice for most, the sour fights back, replacing the taste again with a finsih of sour combined artfully with the bitters of a nice sharp overly roasted malt.

Truly a delightful drinking experience. The price was right, it looked right, smelled nice, and played tricks on the palate, taking the taste from sour to bitter back to sour and finishing with a creamy 'awesome'. Well done, New Belgium. Well done.

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

22oz Bomber
Labeled: Dark Sour Ale 9% abv
Poured into snifter

I'm a big Clutch fan, a big Sour fan and with this "collabeeration" being on the lower price end of the Lips of Faith series ($9.46) I was hoping for a real winner.

A: Dark brown - opaque black. Slight, thin tanish head

S: Cocoa, slight sourness, mild fruit/yeast

T: Somewhat generic malt taste, very mild sourness, cocoa, slight dark fruits. Almost like a chocolate/cherry dark brown ale.

M: Drinkable, medium carbonation, sparatic creaminess

O: Dissapointing but certainly not aweful. Going in I expected this beer to be a Belgian Strong / Sour Ale. After researching and finding that it was supposed to be a Sour Stout I understand what they were going for. It falls short in both categories. Just not sour or dark enough. Also, not sure what temp is best for this beer. I usually start my sours pretty cold and let them warm naturally but I couldn't really find the temp that this beer was best at.

Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration from New Belgium Brewing