Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: chumba526 on 08-06-2011

This pleasing, two-part, potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration Alström Bros
3.16/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Looks great. Dark brown. Several shades from black. 1 finger head that stays around a minute. Not much on lacing as it goes down. Looks thick and you can see bits of sediment.

S- Smells pretty much like a stout or foreign stout. Some mild roasted malt notes, with some mild chocolate and molasses notes. No detection of anything sour. Rather light on the nose.

T- Again, follows through with the smell. All characteristics being mild. Along with some bready notes and a tinge of lemon zest. Starts off stout and finishes with just a hint of a sour note that can be missed if you're not paying attention.

M- Med-light body with low carb. Not too thin. A little creamy. Has a nice dry finish.

O- A dark sour ale without the sour. Very disappointed with this brew. Maybe more time will make it more sour, but I don't think I'll revisit this one. (849 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a wine glass on outside on the lawn on a beautiful Sunday afternoon with my wife.

I was super stoked on this going in to it, sounded like something I was really going to enjoy. Expected it to be less of a dark beer for some reason, and a bit more sour (sour brown instead of a stout/sour blend) but I wasn't disappointed.

A: Totally opaque, with a brown tinge. Looks like really muddy water. Head is tan, pretty big, not too spider-webbed, but leaves nice lacing. Def seeing bits of sediment suspended in the glass and fine vigorous bubbles rising from the deep.

S: Pumpernickel bread, lemon zest, faint dark chocolate, a bit of extra molasses, and faint brown roasty malts. Smells good, but I didn't really smell much in the way of "sour" besides the lemon.

T: Super good! Molasses, roasty and toasty but not forwardly so, faint background of breakfast coffee and nuts, and big lemon juice with nice balancing sourness. Mainly molasses and lemon up front with depth and balance that I really liked. The chocolate from the nose didn't come through, and no burnt flavors despite the toasted smells sand tastes. Ends a bit sweet, which I don't usually love, but it works here because of the way it plays off of the sourness.

M: My favorite part of this beer! Med bodied with very fine bubbles. Plenty of carbonation too, not crazy foamy but very there. Not dry at all, but light enough to fool into thinking that it is not 9.5%.

O: I loved it! Very unique. Not very sour all-and-all with nice depth. The sour is pleasant as hell and provides a really cool contrast to the rest of the beer. Check this one out if you get the chance, its super good. Coming at it as a stout or a sour will most likely disappoint, as I reckon it doesn't really hit either style all that well, but it is a great blend that is hard to peg down. (1,860 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

22oz. bottle into a pint glass

A - Midnight black with an off-brown head. Lingering with moderate lacing. Head lingered to the halfway point. Thinnish, but not distractingly so.

S - Light smoke, dark chocolate, lots of toasted malt, almost charred. Very full nosed.

T - Despite being labeled a sour, the tartness is understated, while still somewhat present. Coffee, light wood barrel, semi-sweet chocolate malts. Lots of chocolate on the finish, pervasive almost.

M - Full-bodied, not too boozy. Coats the mouth like cocoa.

O - While not a sour as advertised, this is an above-averaged imperial dark. Not sure if it's technically a porter or stout or even if it matters, but it's really good. I wish I had more. This didn't need to be a sour, especially for sour purists, and should age amazingly. (807 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a bomber into an Ithaca tulip.

As with most stouts, this is dark to black. One to two finger head, with a nice thick lacing. Again, this is pretty typical for a stout.
Smells musty, like a wet basement.
I can definately taste the sour in this. The other flavors are more subdued. There is an earthy hint of coffee?
Not overly thick for a stout. I think it could be just a touch thicker.
I may have over hyped this in my head. It was really good though and I recommend get some and try it. This is my third sour stout and I've enjoyed them all. This is definately a style that needs to be explored more. (620 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

22oz bomber into long stem tulip.

A: completely opaque with a dense 2 tone brown head. decent retention and good lacing. certainly has the american stout look.

S: the aroma is mostly roasty. however there is definitely a vinous character as well. a nice mix between the stout/sour side.

T: the twang of something wild does make an appearance from beginning to end. just not too intense. which would make sense considering it is only 20% of the blend. rich and smooth milk chocolate provide a solid back bone of flavor.

M: pretty lively fizz on a heavy medium body.

D: a very unique brew. the bits of sourness mingling with the dark malts is interesting...not my personal favorite, but a very cool beer to try. (718 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a tulip glass...

Clutch pouurs a dark brown color with very good head retention and decent lacing. The nose is quite roasty, with licorice, chocolate and some light sour. The beer smells pretty good, but was even better on the palate. The flavor profile generally replicates the nose, except I also get some dark fruits and bit more sour in this moderately sweet beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a fairly long, lightly sour and fruity finish. Alcohol is well disguised, though you tell it's up there a bit.

Very interesting beer. I was surprised by how much I liked and enjoyed it. (609 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

22oz Bomber
Labeled: Dark Sour Ale 9% abv
Poured into snifter

I'm a big Clutch fan, a big Sour fan and with this "collabeeration" being on the lower price end of the Lips of Faith series ($9.46) I was hoping for a real winner.

A: Dark brown - opaque black. Slight, thin tanish head

S: Cocoa, slight sourness, mild fruit/yeast

T: Somewhat generic malt taste, very mild sourness, cocoa, slight dark fruits. Almost like a chocolate/cherry dark brown ale.

M: Drinkable, medium carbonation, sparatic creaminess

O: Dissapointing but certainly not aweful. Going in I expected this beer to be a Belgian Strong / Sour Ale. After researching and finding that it was supposed to be a Sour Stout I understand what they were going for. It falls short in both categories. Just not sour or dark enough. Also, not sure what temp is best for this beer. I usually start my sours pretty cold and let them warm naturally but I couldn't really find the temp that this beer was best at. (971 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

We've got Big News....the party boat is here / the band is kickin' / and I see lots of beer!

Yes. Huge Clutch fan, love New Belgium, couldn't wait to try this.

Aaaand....well, it's kind of weird. It's billed as a sour American stout, but really more of a dark brown ale. Pours an opaque brown with a quickly dissipating head and minimal lacing. Lots of coffee, dark chocolate and cherries on the nose. As for the taste....maybe like alcoholic cherry cordials with a hint of sourness on the back end? Gets progressively syrupy and difficult to drink as it warms, so drink up. Does a pretty good job of hiding the 9%, and I'm glad to have tried it this once, but not something I see myself revisiting much in the future (not that I'd be able to anyway, living in NYC and all). (777 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%

Background: Labeled as a Dark Sour Ale, 9% at $8 a bottle from New Belgium in Lips of Faith Series.

First Thoughts: Definitely not a sour, it's barely there. Mislabeled? Tastes awesome though, a lot going on.

The Good: Cherries, coffee, chocolate, some fruit, slight sourness, it reminds me of Stone Cherry Chocolate stout minus the sourness.

The Bad: If you are expecting a sour don't buy this it will disappoint you. If you are expecting a dark ale you might be disappointed as well.

The Bottom Line: I really like this beer. I can't believe people poured this out :( It is a mix of two styles which I appreciate as a brewer because of skill and time it takes to make but it does not really excel in either sourness or malt profile. I'd give it a solid B + and for New Belgium it surprises me (Sorry I had low expectations). I am hearing good things about their Lips of Faith series and they have my attention. (917 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Allagash glass. It poured black in color with a thick, bubbly, foamy, tan head to it.

The aroma has a sour chocolate thing going on. The moderately roasty, chocolaty, stout flavors mix with some sour, slightly funky flavors. It smells like some of the non-intentionally infected stouts I've ran into.

The taste shows more of the sour, very slightly funky flavors up front. I get a good amount of sweet, almost sugary flavors to it up front as well. Towards the finish some of the chocolaty, roasty, slightly bitter flavors of the stout start to come out.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is on the higher side. Overall I wasn't impressed. It tasted like an infected stout to me, which is typically not a good thing. It just didn't have any good stout character nor did it have a very good American Wild profile. The sourness was mild and lacked any of the depth or complexity that I love in the better American wilds. The flavors just don't mix well at all for me. It was drinkable, but I'd rather have a good stout or a good American wild instead of the mix of the two. (1,124 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Picked this up at Whole Foods in Clarendon about two weeks ago. Glad to see some New Belgium beers I've never heard of hitting the shelves in NoVa. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a deep dark brown color with one finger of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Leaves some light lacing on the glass and little retention.

s - Smells of roasted malts, sour fruits, sweet dark fruits, and chocolate. Definitely a lot of stout characteristics going on here, with a twinge of sourness.

t - Tastes of chocolate, roasted mallts, sour fruits, sour dark fruits. Lots of roasted notes again, but more sour than the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall a decent beer. Lots of stout characteristics with some nice sourness coming out in the taste. Would have it again. (843 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap @ Brewforia Beer Marker, Meridian ID.

Poured into a snifter.

A: Surprisingly opaque black with a decent tan head. I didn't know this was an American Stout at the time...some lacing but I think the acidity is eating it away pretty fast.

S: Full of rich smooth chocolate, mixed with some tartness that reminds me of dark cherries. There are some aromas of yeast/fruity esters as well.

T: Really follows the nose, and this beer is not really sour at all (confused? Thought this was a Lips of Faith). There is a fruit tartness on the finish but its mostly chocolate and even some coffee bitterness and grain as well. The cherry/fruit tartness does take hold more as it warms.

MF: Tart, wet, lighter mouthfeel. A touch of lingering dryness and bitterness.

O: Pleasant enough drinker, just not very sour. I'm not sure what this beer is supposed to be, I was thinking something closer to a sour/wild but this has a lot of stout characteristics. Very smooth. I'm not a sour/wild connoisseur yet so this beer suits me just fine. (1,032 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle shared at the September iteration of the Santa Cruz tasting series. Pours deep brown with red highlights and a cocoa-colored head. Aroma is earthy and roasty with some green coffee and cocoa powder. Not much sour evident so far. Flavor is malty and tart, with an earthy roasted malt basis, phenols, nuts and some tart red fruits and citric acidity. I suppose this is pretty well done but I just don't like the whole roasty + sour thing. (443 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

22 picked up at the Boise COOP ... a certainly reasonable ~$8ish ... I thought it was going to be in the La Folie price point.... Nice.

Poured into my Delirium goblet... short dark tan head... lacing is spotty, but present... the brew is the expected black.

Nose is interesting.. definitely roasty with some cold brewed coffee... but is punctuated by a lesser sour element.. almost sour cherries toward the end.. interesting, but nothing to write home about.

Flavor begins with a lite tongue buckling sour tang that moves quickly into the dark malts.. above roasty elements move quickly into the tart territory.. the finish is a pleasant mix of dark cocoa and slight tannic cherry skins.. pretty dry throughout.

The body is sorta weird... it doesn't really carry the flavors too well, meaning a flimsy finish... medium, but the carbonation is a bit lite and only mildly brings the flavors up to the palate.

For a BIG beer, I am impressed.. I doubt this brew is gonna cellar well... It jives pretty nicely right now... I don't know how it will improve in the basement.. but I probably will try.

Despite my "local vocal" buddy, I don't think this was a batch of "dark beer soured and put out for the masses". Not the best sour New Belgium has brought, but still pretty nice.

I want to see New Belgium do REAL sours that are still approachable at a La Folie price.... You've proven you can do it, quit catering to the "new style is better" component. How about a proper black raspberry sour... or a red plum lambic? You can do it!!! And I want a bottle or three for being the innovator.... just sayin' .. you owe me. :-)

4/3.5/4/4/4.5 (1,639 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

RATING [Stouts] = 3 / 10

Bottle poured into tulip glass

[A]

Roasty. Malty. Coffee.
Hint of fruity sourness
Medium carbonation.

[O]
I took a couple drinks before pouring what was left in my glass down the drain. It was too hot; flavors weren't gelling well together.

Recapped and let it sit in my fridge for a day.

Then was able to finish the rest. Flavors melded together better after it mellowed out, but lost some of the good carbonation.

If I were to get my hands on another bottle, definitely gonna let it sit in my cellar for some time before thinking about tasting it. I would overlook it if it were on draft list somewhere. Definitely my least favorite of the Lips of Faith series. (753 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

22 oz served in tulip glass.

Ar: Toasty brown malt, nice roast, black ale/brown ale profile, strong wheat toast, nice delicate roast, chocolate, v. minimal sourness

Ap: Meidum fine tan head, great retention, black/brown (light black), good lace

T: Black ale roast, smooth, slight smoky/meaty character (dies off quickly), mild fruit, berry hints, mild tartness which increases with warmth, dark earthyness, molasses, slight acrid quality to acid, acidic coffee, chocolate

M: Medium carbonation, smooth body, good roast in finish, very good mouthfeel, med/thin body (the only part of the mouthfeel that really makes it seem like a sour), very light tartness

O: Initial thought: to say the sourness is restrained is an understatement. a very good beer if you think of it as a black/brown ale with a touch of fruityness and tartness, as it warms the acid comes out more and it doesn't work especially well with the beer. (922 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +14.7%

A- Pours essentially black, head is tan but is not very long lasting. Disappears pretty quick actually.
S- Smell is rich. Initially it's quite smokey, with a coffee aroma, and a tart dark fruit aroma.
T- Initially it seems just like a normal (albeit high quality) stout. A rich smokey, coffee flavor. There is a bit of a tobacco flavor. Suddenly, right near the finish there is a burst of what could be described as tart blackberry/cherry. Really interesting how the sourness is subdued until it pops.
M- A little light for a stout and low in carbonation, but only a bit so on both issues.
O- Really, enjoyed it. Just a touch more body and better head retention are the only negatives. Fascinating how they can make the sourness pop like they did. (747 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Served from 22oz. btl at BiN2860 wine & beer shop. Pours thick and onyx dark, with a beautiful sandy, tan head. Good retention and lacing.

Hints of smoked meats and campfire (almost rauchbier-like) give way quickly to rich roast malt, cocoa powder, sour cherry and blackberry fruits. Nicely layered aroma.

The sour cherry promised on the nose comes through strongly, supported by gorgeous coffee and chocolate notes, with just a hint of teriyaki beef jerky(?). Surprisingly soft, smooth mouthfeel. I think I could've had just a minute more depth, but it still definitely works for me.

I was expecting a slightly richer style, but the beer is very nicely balanced with the malt and sour flavors playing nicely together. (721 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.3%

Deep, dark brown, almost black brew fills my New Belgium globe. Thick caramel-colored head sits atop. This settles to a pancake batter cap providing some good lacing. Smells of roasted dark malts with hints of coffee. A gentle swirl brings out some chocolate and sour fruit/cherries.

Taste is at first roasted sweetness that immediately turns to bitter chocolate and dark coffee. Some of the fruit plays in the background giving the tongue plenty to think about. A sour creaminess coats the palate.

Quite enjoyed this brew, which is good considering how excited I was for it to hit shelves. The Lips of Faith Series comes through again. Kind of interested to see any development or changes in this one after giving it some time.

For the record, my favorite Clutch songs are Animal Farm and The Soapmakers (807 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a solid black with a thick tan head that laces.

Smells sweet and roasty with some of the sour character also coming through. Not too complex but nice.

Tastes of tart sour mixing with roasted malts that then finishes quite dry, leaving a roasted flavor on the palate, interesting.

Medium bodied and dry in a good way.

This is an interesting take on a sour. The roasted malts work OK for the format...worth a try. (421 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ

A: The pour is very dark brown, almost black, with a small layer of tan foam.

S: The nose is lightly lightly tart. But, it's mostly just the kind of acidity you get in overly roasty beers. So, it smells just sort of like poorly made stout. A little bit of cocoa and coffee aroma on the back end.

T: It's pretty much the same story on the palate. There is a fair amount of roasted malt with just a mild fruit note. Again, it's mildly tart and acidic. Just very "meh".

M: The body is quite thin with only medium carbonation.

O: Very disappointing. I like the sour stout idea, but this one wasn't executed well. (637 characters)

Clutch on Pandora, New Belgium globe in front of me. I think I am set to open this one.

Black coffee colored body. Two and a half finger sandy colored head produced from a moderate pour. Retention is decent, the head recedes slowly leaving a slim cap. Spotty lacing clings to the side of the glass.

The aroma is much heavier on the stout than it is on the sour. Roasted malt, coffee and a dark chocolate aroma and dominant up front. The tart aroma develops with warmth but it still blanketed by the stout characteristics. Clean tart aroma, leaning towards a sour cherry maybe slight citrus aroma.

First sip is a bit of a surprise. I assumed I would pick up the stout portion on the front of the palate but I was wrong. Light lemony tartness develops first. As the beer travels back along the palate the darker, richer flavors develop. Strong dark chocolate and a smooth espresso flavor emerge. The roast is not overly prevalent. The back of the palate merges the the stout and the sour. The dark chocolate merges with a tart cherry/berry like flavor to finish.

Medium to full bodied beer. The carbonation is a little higher than expected making Clutch feel lighter on the tongue. Very smooth texture. The finish is moderate, the flavor lingers but disappears a but sooner than I would expect.

Very enjoyable beer, the flavors merge very well and creating an easy to drink beer. The beer drinks much lower than the 9% ABV it is listed as. The Lips of Faith series has put out yet another solid beer. New Belgium certainly has one of the more interesting limited release series in the country, well done. (1,608 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

It took a lot longer to reach #1700 than I thought, but here we are. On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, on to the beer:

It's black with somewhat of a tanned head and good lacing that sticks around the glass. The nose is a blast of espresso beans and a touch of tartness, the latter hinting that this will have a tart/sour taste, and it does. A "sour stout" if you will; there's espresso beans, little notes of peat and whiskey, and a soft sourness. Quite a curveball offering, and a good one at that. (491 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter.

Pours pitch black in the glass with no highlights. The initial finger of head falls to a thin layer of bubbles over a few minutes.

The initial smells I detect are of black patent malt and coffee grounds overlaid with a touch of hoppiness. There is a slight twang that might be something sour, but if I wasn't looking for it I probably wouldn't identify it as anything other than hops.

The initial flavor is mostly imperial stout-esque, but instead of there being a slam of acrid smokiness or hop bitterness there is a slightly tart acidic touch of flavor near the end of the sip. Very interesting to say the least. The effect it has on my senses in odd, I feel that this tastes almost like something, but not quite enough like that something to name it. Whoa... it just hit me what this odd subtle flavor is like: Pina Colada slurpee! Now that is not a flavor I ever expected to find in a beer. Overall this is a fairly dry beer though.

The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is moderate.

Conclusion: I imagine this is similar to what the original English porters tasted like, with a mixture of aged "sour ale" and fresh dark beer. I wonder if it aged long enough if it would dry out even more and become more sour? (1,249 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

First time trying this style. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Darkness typical of stouts and faint brownish head. Taste came through as a raspberry dark chocolate to me. As it warmed up I also got some faint bretty cheese-like tastes.

Overall wasn't a big fan personally, but probably more an issue of style preference. I really like sour beers like La Folie, Le Terroir, and the Russian River offerings, but this didn't do it for me. The bottle is labeled as a "dark sour ale" but I felt the sourness was faint while not really mixing well with the roasty stout flavors. (567 characters)

Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration from New Belgium Brewing