Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

This pleasing, two-part, potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.

(Beer added by: chumba526 on 08-06-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration Alström Bros
LiquidBread219

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

A= Really dark black in color, 2finger tan head, good retention nice lacing.

S= Roasted malts in the nose, you also get a little bit of coffee in there and some sweet notes that kind of hide the coffee a little bit.

T= Taste is like the nose a little bit I get a lot of Roasted malts in the front it has some sour notes in the back. Kind of disappointed in this one.

M= Medium bodied I suppose, kind of thin....

O= Over kind of disappointed in this one thought it would be something different probably wouldn't try this one again.

09-03-2011 18:48:50 | More by LiquidBread219
UpToMeBeer

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

It's great to see New Belgium going all-out on a big, creative beer. This one was wonderful.
A- Disclaimer: I was in a dimly lit bar in downtown Fort Collins for this. Poured very dark with what seemed to be a one-finger tan head.

S-The most impressive aspect of this beer. Roasted malt scent. Something is giving it a sweet, almost fruity edge to the coffee... Maybe toffee in there? Whatever it is, it's complex and wonderful.

T-Nice balance of a stout (I know there's a trace of that in here) with subtle sour characteristics: Seems to be cherry. Very nice finish. No dryness or overpowering sour.

M- Rather medium to semi-full feel. I would like to age this and see if it gets even fuller. Also, it warms nicely.

O- As a lover of stouts and sours, this beer was pretty ideal for me. Reminiscent of O'Dell's Avant Peche Porter.

09-02-2011 17:38:57 | More by UpToMeBeer
Dreadnaught33

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

This beer is interesting but also confusing. It is like a stout but in the smell and taste it seems like it does have just a strange fruity/maple tart note that confuses with the roasted stout.

A: A nice look with a tan head and plenty of lacing left on the glass. Dark dark brown hue and a nice fluffy pinky of head that remains for a while.

S: This is where I get most confused. I definitely get roasted and charred malt and a lactose kind of coffee cream aroma. Some semi sweet savory nut characters like almond extract. Then, a kind of strange, in the background semi tartness that is a little bitter smelling as well but not in a hop ester way, I dont get any hops. Some other ripe fruit notes are barely detectable and a maple woodsy aroma also is there. Grapes too.

T: Has a nice roasted character with plenty of dark fruits as well and a little edge of the slightest bit of tart or spice. Has a very vinous dark grape note to it, maybe thats how I would describe the small 'bite' or tart to it, like a dark dark red wine. A semi rich taste, but it feels like its missing something. A nice lingering coffee like bitter and roast.

M: This is not great, it feels quite watery and not full bodied compared to the tastes I get. A miss. The roast and a little sweetness

Overall a pretty nice beer, but a little strange for me and the mouthfeel was underwhelming for sure. I was thinking about buying another bottle to see if with age, there might be yeast strains giving me that wine/tart impression that would make cool things happen with the beer.

09-02-2011 01:12:28 | More by Dreadnaught33
Domingo

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Had this at the FRTH.
Arrives a deep brown color that looks nearly black in dim light. With better light you can see it’s closer to brown. Head’s plentiful for something on draft with a careful pour.
The nose reminds me of some of the Belgian stouts I’ve had. Roasted malts with just a hint of sourness.
The predominant flavor up-front is burnt coffee. There are some fruity nuances here and there, but that burnt character is strong. It almost takes on a fresh tar/asphalt character.
There’s a tiny bit of yeasty sourness initially with a few sips, but those notes are few and far between. There are some additional muddled flavors in there dying to escape, but are completely lost in a haze of smoke most of the time.
In general, I wasn’t overly impressed. Drinking it was a bit of a chore, and it took me quite a while to finish my snifter.
Not completely terrible, but definitely not my cup of tea. That burnt/smoke note kills everything.
Of their Fall 2011 collaborations (this and Kick), this is definitely the lesser of the two.

EDIT: A second sample was definitely better and some sourness finally came out a bit more. That said, it still wasn't that great and I don't think I plan on ordering a 3rd.

09-01-2011 15:37:16 | More by Domingo
flannelman808

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours quite dark a dusty black with a razor of red shining through the bottom where the glass is smallest.

S: Chocolate Ovaltine with a suggestion of roasted short rib.

T: I'm really enjoying the growing popularity of this style. In my eyes this would have been quite like a Polish baltic porter back in the day. Rich 60-70% chocolate meets an almost tart blueberry flavor with suggestions of lime zest, and tangerine (both pulp and zest). This would be overly sweet if not for the sour acidic finish which does quite a nice job at drying the beer out and leaving it very balanced. My only neg is a brushed steel metallic quality, though I admit I'm particularly sensitive to this.

M: Rich up front and finishing with a bright carbonic fizz.

O: I like this stuff despite what some others are saying. I think chocolate and sour flavors work extremely well together and would like to see more of this in lou of blat bitterness. Metallic notes and the simplicity of flavors are the only negs on this guy.

08-31-2011 05:01:49 | More by flannelman808
marqoid

Arizona

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a 22oz. into my Bruery Tulip.

This looks good, smells okay, and tastes terrible. I am a sour fan, but this is not sour enough to qualify, tastes more like an infected batch than intentionally soured, it is far too mild. I am also a stout fan, but this doesn't stand up to any half decent stout out there.
Not quite a drain pour.
I have a batch of homebrew that tastes just like this, that only confirms that my homebrew didn't taste right because it must have been infected.
This is my first disappointment from New Belgium.

08-31-2011 03:33:32 | More by marqoid
jslot38

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Wasn't expecting a sour stout with 20 something reviews to make it to DC when New Belgium hit the market out here. Being a collaboration with Clutch it makes more sense though.

Poured from a 22oz bomber to a Rodenbach glass.

Appearance: Looks alone, this is nice - dark but not as think and luminous as an imperial stout. Has a light beige head - just under a finger think that is going no where. Very good lacing.

Aroma: Roasted aroma, some chocolate, classic stout aroma with a touch of dark fruit - raisins, plums etc...

Taste: A bit of tart sour flavor, relatively clean (no funk) mixes with the roasted coffee and chocolate, but not well. I feel like one flavor needs to stand out more, and be complemented by the other to work. Instead the flavors seem to compete.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, like a stout, which feels odd as sour beers usually have a more lively carbonation. Doesn't take too much away from the beer though.

Overall: One heck of a good looking beer, that unfortunately misses the mark. Stouts and sours are tough to mix, this is a good attempt and has some nice qualities. Still pretty drinkable considering the unique flavor combo and high ABV.

08-31-2011 01:20:58 | More by jslot38
SpdKilz

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked up from my local Binny’s.

Appearance – Pours into a tulip with a dark chocolate color. Very little light gets through, and when it does, it is only near the edges. About a finger of quickly dissipating mocha colored head is achieved with a regular pour.

Smell – Having had Tart of Darkness recently and being a fan of JP’s Madrugada Obscura, I was excited to try my third installment of a “sour stout”. The aroma starts out the same as with the others – typical stout smells such as chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, slight smokiness, and some slight funk.

Taste – Less tart than I was expecting (and less than the other two aforementioned beers). An initial sour cherry tartness up front which is almost immediately encapsulated by the beers stout characteristics. The bittersweet cocoa and roasted malts are dominant with the coffee taking a back seat along with some smoky wood notes.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation, finishes a little dry.

Overall – I was a little disappointed with this beer. The other two examples of this style had a more prominent tartness/sourness to them that made one realize this is not a mistake…this sour flavor is supposed to be there. This beer makes one wonder if there is the begging of an infection to a stout (Abyss ‘09 anyone?). I have another bottle for the cellar and am curious if the tartness will become more dominant in the future. I have a feeling it might.

08-31-2011 00:11:32 | More by SpdKilz
oline73

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with some light coming through at the edges of the glass. There is just a layer of head, but it retains it quite well.

Smell: Quite nice. Roasty with some sour, dark fruit and grape. There is a pleasant sweetness that brings everything together.

Taste: Quite like the smell. The roast and the sour flavors go together better than I expected. Hints of dark chocolate and grape jelly along with some sour fruity notes as well. Neither flavor dominates. The finish is a bit boozy and roasty.

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side. The carbonation is very smooth and the finish is slightly dry.

Overall: I enjoyed this more than I thought I would and am glad I tried it. It was better than the last sour dark beer I tried. I don't know that I'll buy more, but the flavors worked for me.

08-30-2011 22:05:21 | More by oline73
craytonic

2.38/5  rDev -35.7%

Appearance: Chocolate brown pour with a small head, minor lacing

Smell: Big malts and coffee with some sour elements that don't find in, despite the sweet dark fruits

Taste: This beer does not taste good. The sour element just doesn't fit in with the coffee, chocolate and smoak

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, good carbonation

Overall: I drain poured this one.

08-28-2011 20:28:23 | More by craytonic
TheWhiskerReview

Tennessee

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours black with a 2-finger tan head. Reduces very quickly to nothing. Lacing is minimal too.

Such a teaser the nose- complex and swirling with sweet notes of cocoa powder, toffee, freshly ground coffee, raisin, prune, brown sugar, peach and apricot. It really keeps you unprepared for the trainwreck that is the palate. Hops are minimal, almost nonexistent. Even the sourness is hidden on the nose.

Now the palate. I guess with most of the last few LOF brews being such winners, it was only a matter of time before they unleashed a bottle of vomit. The brew is medium bodied (seems way to light to be called a stout, sour black ale maybe?) with a low carbonation, a mild and poorly integrated sourness, and a bigtime cloying sweetness upfront- the unfortunate result of the beer's sweet chocolate flavors clashing head on with the brown sugary fruitiness. The drier finish could have been a saving grace had it not been paired with a really gross sour character (think acid reflux) and a weird peach pit-like bitterness. Makes my stomach lurch just typing out my notes here.

Anyways. Like I said, the nose is nice, but it really ends there. This beer is just all sorts of confused- seems too light to be called a stout, the sourness doesn't fit at all plus it tastes like puke. I like LOF because they're weird yet solid and very approachable. I think this one became way too sweet in its approachability. Just give me another bottle of the Kick please.

08-28-2011 17:34:48 | More by TheWhiskerReview
plfahey

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Pours black with the faintest garnet highlights when held to light. Clarity seems good though difficult to discern. True brown head tops the beer and has decent retention.

Aroma-Malt profile dominates the aroma-chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and some toast. Hops are rather low, and almost imperceptible here. Some stone fruit esters appear as well, most notably plum and tart cherry. There is just a hint of tartness here.

Flavor-Sour up front, with tart cherries and chocolate as the primary flavors. The mid-palate displays other fruits-plums and grapes-before being overtaken by assertive roast flavors in the finish, with notes of coffee grounds and espresso. The aftertaste is quite dry, with a lingering tart cherry/bittersweet chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, with moderate carbonation. Quite dry, but not astringent. Low alcohol warmth.

I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty apprehensive going into this one. I hadn't really heard anything good about this beer, with one friend describing it as reminiscent of an infected stout. I was pleasantly surprised by the beer-it wasn't amazing or anything, but it was rather good, with a nice tart cherry/chocolate-espresso balance in the flavor that was rather pleasant. Would I get it again? Maybe, maybe not. But it was definitely worth trying.

08-28-2011 05:24:36 | More by plfahey
TCMike

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours, a dark brown. Produced a long lasting, 2 finger, beige head.
The smell is of dark chocolate, coffee, and stout like.
The taste is similar, but with a slight sour note on the end.
The consistency is that of a creamy stout. It has low carbonation, and a slightly heavy mouth-feel.
This is good. I was hesitant of trying it. It is a sipper.

08-28-2011 01:51:34 | More by TCMike
chodinheaven

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Cool 750 ml bottle and interesting label, pours black as coffee with a big tan head. Good retention and stickage. Dark roasted malts on the nose with notes of coffee and dark chocolate as well.

Heavy on the dark roasted malts in the taste and definitely some notes of coffee and dark chocolate. But the latter two are not the focus of this beer. There is a tang and sour taste in the middle that takes the focus from the traditional stout tastes. Its a little odd and off-putting at first, but then it grows on you and actually manages to mesh well with the dark roasted malts. It's not really a dried fruit kind of taste like you would expect, but more of a summer beer tanginess that you would find in a hefeweizen. But without analysis, the two flavors seem to go together well, at least to me. I appreciate the uniqueness more than anything. This is only my second beer from New Belgium, and I like this better than Fat Tire so far.

08-28-2011 00:46:31 | More by chodinheaven
smakawhat

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

EEYAAW. EEYAAW. EYAAAWW!!! I'am a rock n roll outlaw drinking CLUTCH poured from the bottle into a snifter glass.

A light coffee colored, and creamy head is presented sitting on a very black body. Head falls normaly with some leopard like spotty lacing.

Bouquet is a faint barleywine like booze with some fruit. Bigger whiffs on my nose actually hurt. Mild cocoa, no sense of sour but mostly berry fruit.

Taste is weird. Berry slight sour but extremely thin for even an American stout. Wet, with flat box juice texture. Fruit dominant with little else to taste here. Finish has nearly no flavor. A basicaly thin weak box lunch juice grape.

Overall where's the malt? roast? Coffee? Chocolate? Hello? Hey I know it is mentioned as a dark sour but can i get a little something extra??? I'm not even minding the mild sourness (borderline tart) of this even though I am not a sour/stout fan, but there is nothing stout like in taste that is particularly enjoyable to me, this is not what I look for in a stout. Love the band, the beer not so much, it feels dyslexic and having an identity crisis. Maybe I am a bit harsh, I seem to keep drinking it as it gets to room temp. Perhaps this is my last dark sour review ever.

08-27-2011 03:40:50 | More by smakawhat
AgentMunky

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Nice creamy head, fades and leaves heavy lace. Very dark, but in direct light, red-brown-clear...barely.

S: Coffee, stoutish, black cherry.

T: Sour stout. But damn it's good. Smooth, soft, slippery. Enchanting. A really pleasant tart bitterness on the endtaste.

M: Creaminess dies midway. A bit puckery.

O: Great beer, very drinkable, very worthwhile. Will have again. Recommended!

08-27-2011 03:33:47 | More by AgentMunky
ArrogantB

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at the Rackhouse Pub. Dark black color, a little head. Smells very roasty, all stout in the smell. The flavor hit me at first with some sour but then it really blended in with the roasted malt stout-like flavor. This was interesting but I preferred Kick and would probably never order this again.

08-27-2011 03:11:22 | More by ArrogantB
yourefragile

2.28/5  rDev -38.4%

22 oz bottle. $5.99 at Beltway (Total Wine).

Richard said it best before me; this tastes like the result of blending at the end of an awesome tasting. A good idea at the time, but execution produces disappointment.

Pour is chocolate black with a fleeting khaki head and dry, web lacing. Aroma is dry, roasty and coffee bitter, light chocolate and sweet dark fruit sourness. Thin, light body with soft carbonation, watery finish. Body is smoky and roasty, a pleasant coffee American stout. Finish produces some citrus and ripe fruit sweetness with little sourness. Mmmmk. Surprisingly little alcohol presence and rather pleasant as far as drinkability goes. However to be direct, this beer sucks in execution.

08-27-2011 02:41:20 | More by yourefragile
GRG1313

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours black with a short fast fading head.

Nose is all black chocolate, roasted grain and coffee. While a simple nose pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin and, for my taste, is out of balance. Flavors and mouthfeel just do not juxtapose well. Thin and a bit watery, but then gives way to simple coffee, chocolate and roasted grain character with a kick of citrus sour. There is a pleasant smoky character but, that also does not blend well and is not integrated with the other flavor characteristics.

Candidly, it tastes like a dump bucket of otherwise decent beers! Sorry...that's what it was like for me. Flavors and sour characteristics are just not integrated - almost as if you mixed a stout with a lemon/lime/citrus sour. Doesn't really make it for me.

Finish is sort of a coffee sour that, for my taste, is not pleasing.

08-26-2011 22:10:11 | More by GRG1313
morimech

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%

Black color with one finger of head that had good retention. The head settles to a thin cap. Nice amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Smells like a traditional stout. Chocolate, coffee, a little smoke, and the slightest hint of tart fruit.

Flavor does not quite work for me. The tartness seems more like a stout that had an unintended infection. I think what this beer needs to work is a high level of sourness, not the low, subtle type. The flavor has a high level of roasted malt qualities. More subtle hints of chocolate, cinammon, and smoke. The alcohol is very well hidden.

Full bodied and nicely carbonated. Thick and rich.

Overall this beer was a disapointment. It sounded great on paper but either sour stouts do not work, or this was not executed as well as it could of been.

08-26-2011 19:48:26 | More by morimech
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Black pour, dissappointly short lived dark (but not dark enough) mocha head. Not much for lacing or for revitalizing the head with a swirl. Aroma is slight roastiness and chocolate. Taste is a sweet stout. No hops or bitterness, no coffee notes, and sadly, no sourness (This is listed on the bottle as being a "dark sour" by the way). I was hoping this was going to be along the lines of the JP Madrugada Obscura, but it is not.

If this is a blend that includes a touch of La Folie, it really does not assert itself. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, but still quite smooth. No carbonation evident making for easy drinking. Alcohol is well hidden too. All in all, this is a nice stout for those who are looking for something sweeter, but not as chocolatey as a Young's or a Rogue. But if you are expecting any hint of sour at all, you will not find it here.

08-26-2011 16:04:44 | More by Onibubba
larryi86

Delaware

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Black with a one fine tan head, nice lacing.

S- Coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, hint of sourness. Nice aroma, wish it was stronger.

T- Dark chocolate, roasted malts up front with a nice sour/tart cherry/fruit finish, hint of coffee through out. I find that this is not that sour, but the sourness it has balances and works well with the stout.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- I personally find this to be great. I find the sourness to be just right for this beer. Alcohol is very well hidden. I find the it is worth the price and I can't wait to pick up more!

08-26-2011 04:21:46 | More by larryi86
DavidST

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip.

This pours a black color with a large mocha colored head with good lacing. I smell some booziness to this to begin with, I also get come dark roasted malts and coffee, not a whole lot of sourness. Feel is medium. The taste is a little disappointing, I was really excited to try this one and have been waiting for months since I first heard about it, perhaps my expectations were too high. Anyways, I get the dark roasted malts, maybe some coffee and some nice bitterness, but then there is a noticeable alcohol flavor and the sourness which I was expecting to love is actually not very appealing in this type of beer, it reminds me more of bile than the beautiful sourness of La Folie, maybe the roasted malts don't mix well with the sourness, this is drinkable and okay, but I'm a little disappointed with the taste.

08-26-2011 01:49:51 | More by DavidST
pdoran10

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Lips of Faith Clutch pours a jet black color into a snifter with a finger of tan head that has some staying power and leaves nice lacing.

The smell is earthy chocolate and singed bread with a slight acetone character.

I get a smooth Hershey bar chocolate flavor up front that gives way to some tart cherry flavor. The finish is dry and roasty with sweet bread and the slightly tart cherries lingering. Not really as sour I was expecting based on New Belgium's description.

The mouthfeel on this beer is pretty incredible. Creamy yet dry with moderate to high carbonation.

Overall the flavors in this beer are just a bit of a miss for me. The sour aspect seems like a bit of an afterthought and doesn't add to the beer for me. Still an interesting well made beer.

08-26-2011 00:06:55 | More by pdoran10
Chaney

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Welcome to DC New Belgium!

This one is classified on here as an American Stout, but the bottle says "Dark Sour Ale." Perhaps this should be called a "Flanders Stout?"

Also, the bottle says this one is 9%.

A: Burnt crust brown, with a frothy mocha head that made the beer look like a bit vat of espresso. The head had some staying power.

S: Freshly baked toast, chocolate, and coffee. Perhaps the stout classification is correct?

T: Didn't get any sourness... this was a stout through and through. Really nice subtle coffee/cacoa bitterness on the finish which made this somewhat dry, but not too.

M: Despite the ABV, this one didn't feel "Imperial" at all, which was kind of a cool thing. Thick enough, the alcohol was masked extremely well, and the bitter elements were kept in check. Highly drinkable!

O: I think the stout classification was dead on and one would have to have a magnifying glass to detect any sourness on this bad boy. Perhaps that was etched into the bottle as a joke?

08-25-2011 02:54:12 | More by Chaney