Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: chumba526 on 08-06-2011

This pleasing, two-part, potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration Alström Bros
2.78/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle. Awesome bottle design, lets hope the beer is as good as the graphics on the outside. Pours a dark clear brown color with a fluffy 2 figner tan head. Sticky lace left as the head settles. Roasty, mild coffee notes upfront with a minimal sour note. The taste starts off like the nose with a roast coffee start that then turns sour. Cough medicine like. Not as good as expected. An odd combonation if you ask me that falls pretty flat on its face.

2.79/5  rDev -24.8%

1 pint 6 fl oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. No obvious date; however, stamped faintly on the bottom gold ring is 110710051.

Appearance - Black body. Light bodied. Great stick and decent retention.

Smell - Soy sauce. Uh oh! Chocolate and coffee. Don't know what to think quite yet...

Taste - Acidic. Coffee. Some chocolate. Slightly tart. Reminds me of an imperial stout "watered down" with a sour ale.

Mouthfeel - Astringent. Acidic. Sticky/chewy.

Overall Drinkability - I consider this an "interesting" beer. Try once. You probably won't regret it, as I didn't. But I don't ever see myself wanting to buy it again.

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

22oz Bomber
Labeled: Dark Sour Ale 9% abv
Poured into snifter

I'm a big Clutch fan, a big Sour fan and with this "collabeeration" being on the lower price end of the Lips of Faith series ($9.46) I was hoping for a real winner.

A: Dark brown - opaque black. Slight, thin tanish head

S: Cocoa, slight sourness, mild fruit/yeast

T: Somewhat generic malt taste, very mild sourness, cocoa, slight dark fruits. Almost like a chocolate/cherry dark brown ale.

M: Drinkable, medium carbonation, sparatic creaminess

O: Dissapointing but certainly not aweful. Going in I expected this beer to be a Belgian Strong / Sour Ale. After researching and finding that it was supposed to be a Sour Stout I understand what they were going for. It falls short in both categories. Just not sour or dark enough. Also, not sure what temp is best for this beer. I usually start my sours pretty cold and let them warm naturally but I couldn't really find the temp that this beer was best at.

2.82/5  rDev -24%

Pours black with a short fast fading head.

Nose is all black chocolate, roasted grain and coffee. While a simple nose pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin and, for my taste, is out of balance. Flavors and mouthfeel just do not juxtapose well. Thin and a bit watery, but then gives way to simple coffee, chocolate and roasted grain character with a kick of citrus sour. There is a pleasant smoky character but, that also does not blend well and is not integrated with the other flavor characteristics.

Candidly, it tastes like a dump bucket of otherwise decent beers! Sorry...that's what it was like for me. Flavors and sour characteristics are just not integrated - almost as if you mixed a stout with a lemon/lime/citrus sour. Doesn't really make it for me.

Finish is sort of a coffee sour that, for my taste, is not pleasing.

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish snifter

A- pours jet black with a two finger brown head. The head is very puffy, and sticks around for a little bit. I'd like to see a more dense head out of my dark beers, but considering this is a sour....it stayed around a decent bit of time. Lacing is solid, all the way around the glass

S- there's a decent bit of roast in the nose, but I'm getting some very mild horseblanket qualities as well. The odd mix of scents seems to have the beer a little confused

T- my original assumption was correct: this beer is very confused. The sourness is very mild, and doesn't even result in a mild pucker. The stout qualities are also very mild, and I'm getting very faint hints of roast. There is some lingering sweetness, though. Really not a fan

M- medium bodied, on the lighter side. Has the body of a wild as opposed to a stout

O- I've had a sour porter before (Sierra Nevada Exportation) and that was about twenty times better than this. Sorry New Belgium, but I'm not a fan of this at all

2.94/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into DFH Signature Glass. Purchased from South Loop Binnys, Chicago.

Apperance: Pours a deep black, no light getting thru with a thin khaki colored half finger head.

Smell: Surprisingly big roast and chocolate nose. Some caramel, vanilla and even oak offer support.

Taste: Okay, not as sour as I was expecting...no La Follie. A stout like flavor comes thru with some mild sour cherry notes and subtle oak. There is a bit of funk, but the roast and sweet malt kind of over shadow.

Mouth: Medium carbonation, not to sharp or acidic, but full bodied.

Drink and overall: The ABV is well hidden, I will say that. Not an impressive release from NB, kind of a middle of the road Lips of Faith.

2.94/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Allagash glass. It poured black in color with a thick, bubbly, foamy, tan head to it.

The aroma has a sour chocolate thing going on. The moderately roasty, chocolaty, stout flavors mix with some sour, slightly funky flavors. It smells like some of the non-intentionally infected stouts I've ran into.

The taste shows more of the sour, very slightly funky flavors up front. I get a good amount of sweet, almost sugary flavors to it up front as well. Towards the finish some of the chocolaty, roasty, slightly bitter flavors of the stout start to come out.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is on the higher side. Overall I wasn't impressed. It tasted like an infected stout to me, which is typically not a good thing. It just didn't have any good stout character nor did it have a very good American Wild profile. The sourness was mild and lacked any of the depth or complexity that I love in the better American wilds. The flavors just don't mix well at all for me. It was drinkable, but I'd rather have a good stout or a good American wild instead of the mix of the two.

2.95/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured from 22oz bottle into bordeaux glass.

Aroma: A rich, malty molasses. Dark cocoa, and a tart cherry-like sourness. Again, lots of cocoa, with a hint of vanilla.

Appearance: Dark brown. Thick, 3 finger, light tan cappucino-like foam settles slowly. Decent lacing sticks to the inside of the glass.

Flavor: Interesting roasty-sour thing going on. Not sure what to think at first. This one definitely defies standard style guidelines. Tartness up front, roasty malt, smoke, and earth. Like a cross between a darker sour and a dry stout (1:1 blend). Tartness comes back to linger through the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation. Medium body.

Overall: My first take on this one was that it wasn't bad-- just not one I'd seek out again. I like sours, and also stouts, but not a mix of the two. The more I drank, though, the more tired I got of this one. I eventually wound up dumping my last 1/4 glass. As with any other mediocre or subpar brew, I'm reminded of how many other great brews are out there. No need to seek this one out again. Especially at this price.

Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration from New Belgium Brewing