Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: chumba526 on 08-06-2011

This pleasing, two-part, potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration Alström Bros
firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
4.24/5  rDev +15.2%

It's great to see New Belgium going all-out on a big, creative beer. This one was wonderful.
A- Disclaimer: I was in a dimly lit bar in downtown Fort Collins for this. Poured very dark with what seemed to be a one-finger tan head.

S-The most impressive aspect of this beer. Roasted malt scent. Something is giving it a sweet, almost fruity edge to the coffee... Maybe toffee in there? Whatever it is, it's complex and wonderful.

T-Nice balance of a stout (I know there's a trace of that in here) with subtle sour characteristics: Seems to be cherry. Very nice finish. No dryness or overpowering sour.

M- Rather medium to semi-full feel. I would like to age this and see if it gets even fuller. Also, it warms nicely.

O- As a lover of stouts and sours, this beer was pretty ideal for me. Reminiscent of O'Dell's Avant Peche Porter.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Looks great. Dark brown. Several shades from black. 1 finger head that stays around a minute. Not much on lacing as it goes down. Looks thick and you can see bits of sediment.

S- Smells pretty much like a stout or foreign stout. Some mild roasted malt notes, with some mild chocolate and molasses notes. No detection of anything sour. Rather light on the nose.

T- Again, follows through with the smell. All characteristics being mild. Along with some bready notes and a tinge of lemon zest. Starts off stout and finishes with just a hint of a sour note that can be missed if you're not paying attention.

M- Med-light body with low carb. Not too thin. A little creamy. Has a nice dry finish.

O- A dark sour ale without the sour. Very disappointed with this brew. Maybe more time will make it more sour, but I don't think I'll revisit this one.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Served from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A – Pours a dark brown almost black, but still close. A nice brown head comes off as well, about 1-2 inches in height. Beer leaves a nice lacing as it’s consumed.

S – Dark malt is the first thing I can pick up, a little roast also. There is some chocolate and maybe dark fruit, but it’s faint. There is some funk to the nose also.

T – Starts out as a pretty thin stout, with some coffee notes and a little chocolate, some sweet malt also. There is a mild tartness, but it’s very subtle but still present, but there is some funk!

M – Medium but closer on the side of thin, carbonation is decent. Good creaminess.

O – This has something that could be great, and I think 6 months to a year of aging would give it that missing link. I was left wanting a little more, but it was still something I would like to buy again and age.

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a non-translucent dark brown with a very small mocha colored head that fleeted quickly leaving just a small lace around the edge of the glass. The initial aromas are of mocha and coffee beans, caramel and roast. The taste is not overly robust, similarly to the aroma, but is rather refreshing. Not too complex but what is done simply here is done correct. A very good beer with just the right amount of finish which leaves with no ill taste. Like others, I fail to see the 'sour' in this 'dark sour ale' but nonetheless it was a good choice. Better than some of the other Lips of Faith collabs.

Found at Cardinal Liq's, Niles IL - Enjoy!

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

Grabbed this bottle over at Davis Beer Shoppe yesterday. 8$ for the bomber.

A - not much to say about it. It's stellar. It's how you expect a base Imperial Stout too look. Pitch black hue, tan head, about an inch of head, that laces nicely.

S - It's unique. It has hints of soured cherry, some nice roasted malt, but a lot of oak.

T - Starts off with some creamy stout flavors, mixed with slight vanilla, sour cherries, and coffee. However, there is a very large oak flavor that dominates the finish. It leaves a slight over oaked soapy flavor.

M - It's creamy. Not overly carbonated, and smooth.

O - It's a solid beer. I could do without the huge oak flavor, and could use a little more sour notes, but for what it is, and what I paid, I am very pleased with the beer.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours black with little to no light shining through - a caramel head of foam rises to a two finger width and fades relatively fast leaving just a creamy top and small spotty lacing hanging around. The smell is very interesting - I'm getting a lot of sweet and tart cherries mixed in with dark chocolate and a bit of caramel. The flavor is not as appealing as the aroma - it's as if the acidic sour woody flavor is doing battle with the chocole maltyness of the stout base and I can't quite get myself to enjoy the tartness left at the back of my mouth enough to rate it higher. The mouthfeel isn't as creamy and smooth as I would like and the carbonation is a bit prickly on the tongue - nothing special here. The pour and the aroma were both very satisfying but I must say I'm a little disappointed with the flavor - I was expecting some awesome liquid to completely surprise my palate in a good way but instead it was just kinda, for lack of a better word, bleh. Have another bottle so we'll see how it is a ways down the road.

Edit: I will state that I thoroughly enjoy sours and stouts but this just didn't work for me in a combo.

22oz bottle
From notes:
Dark opaque cola with a fizzy coke like head. A sour, malty aroma; smokey. Tastes like a sour porter, very malty. Starts our sour, hits you with malts, then ends in a nice mouth tingle.

I read some people saying this wasn't that good, but I actually that it was pretty tasty. I would recommend it.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Coal-black with a finger of foamy head.
S: Nose of dark malts with only a hint of tartness.
T: Tastes like a stout that has soured slightly. Very little funk. The stout isn't great or exciting, and the tartness is difficult to distinguish.
M: A little thin. With a 9% abv, I expected more.
O: A disappointing beer that simply isn't very exciting.

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours black, dark brown head cascades well on the glass and hangs around for a while before dissipating. Taste starts as a pungent sour, then quickly moves to a stout, dark roasty malts dominate the flavor, but the sour comes back at the end as an accent to the flavor. Sour tickles the sides of the mouth. Wish the sour was a bit more pronounced and the stout a bit less. Like a stout plus more, a great flavor combination. Tasted again after 6 months of again, and the sour was more pronounced. Wish I had another one or two to age longer!

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%

In a single sentence: I thought I would love this one more.

Lots going on; the flavor is very complex. Initial chocolate, some dark cherry notes, finished by a whiskey like smokeyness that blends with the coffee backdrop. Moments of candi sweetness like toffee and butterscotch. It finishes in your mouth much like a stout; the sour factor is quite subdued, and shows up midway through tasting, and then is gone as quick as it came.

Kind of like a one man band... impressive one beer could pull all this flavor off at one time, but in the end, a jack of all trades-master-of-none scenario.

3.54/5  rDev -3.8%

22oz. bomber into a snifter. I admit, I got this partly because it was categorized on the bottle as a dark sour, rather than a stout. Stouts aren't really my thing, but I do like sours. And well, partly because I like the idea of drinking a beer named Clutch. So here goes.

A - almost black in color (no light shining through). Nice tan head that goes down pretty quickly to cover + ring.

S - smells like a stout. Roasted dark chocolate malts. Some coffee notes. I don't really smell any sour elements...maybe a hint of cherry, but I think that's because I want it to be there? It smells pretty "normal" but not all that interesting.

T - follows the nose, but some of the sourness does come out after the initial roasted maltiness. I think the sourness actually makes the aftertaste a lot better, instead of bitter. But if you're looking for that extra bite, it's not going to be there for you.

M - medium body. Light for the average stout, which this obviously isn't. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden, which is nice.

D/O - it's interesting enough to try, but not sure I'd really want to get it again. If you think the idea of a sour stout is interesting, give it a go. I like sours but am not so into stouts, and I was hoping this might make them more approachable, but I think I'd rather just have some more sours. ;)

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

22oz. bottle into a pint glass

A - Midnight black with an off-brown head. Lingering with moderate lacing. Head lingered to the halfway point. Thinnish, but not distractingly so.

S - Light smoke, dark chocolate, lots of toasted malt, almost charred. Very full nosed.

T - Despite being labeled a sour, the tartness is understated, while still somewhat present. Coffee, light wood barrel, semi-sweet chocolate malts. Lots of chocolate on the finish, pervasive almost.

M - Full-bodied, not too boozy. Coats the mouth like cocoa.

O - While not a sour as advertised, this is an above-averaged imperial dark. Not sure if it's technically a porter or stout or even if it matters, but it's really good. I wish I had more. This didn't need to be a sour, especially for sour purists, and should age amazingly.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer poured black with a thin tan head. The aroma was of lightly roasted malts with some funk and white wine. The taste was a blend of the roasty chocolate flavors of a stout mixed with the funkiness of a tart. This is the best representation I've had so far of being able to get the most out of each style into the beer. Most dark sours I've had are either too "stoutey" or too sour and not a very good blend of the two. Clutch is one of my favorite bands and this is not one of my favorite styles, but this was a surprisingly good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Pours opaque black with a nice finger-thick sheet of golden tan head. Showing some really lovely legs that stick around a good while.

S- A bit of lactic acidity with a nod towards some lemon in the nose, but the tartness suggests more cherry sourness than anything. Surprisingly, this melds very nicely with the lightly toasted malt background. Actually, if you held this brew to my nose while I was blindfolded, the only hint I'd have that this isn't a Flanders Red is how curiously muted the tartness is.

T- The first thing I find on the palate is a very smooth doppelganger of a nice mild Flemish sour, like Monk's Cafe. This dovetails extremely well into the powdery cocoa character of the stout. The lasting acidity suggests some subdued leather and tobacco notes which are rather pleasant. The aftertaste somehow returns perceptibly to the tangy cherry character, with the residual cocoa and bitterness bringing about some dark chocolate to the ending.

M- Unexpectedly light, although still creamy and smooth. I think a heavier mouthfeel would have cost the beer some charm, as this drinks perfectly the way it is. Call me crazy, but even the carbonation is reminiscent of a Flanders Red, in my opinion.

O- I enjoyed this beer much more than I expected to. Eveb at 9% abv, I'm having no trouble working through this bomber. My present company disagrees, but I am very charmed and pleased with this strange brew.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

First time trying this style. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Darkness typical of stouts and faint brownish head. Taste came through as a raspberry dark chocolate to me. As it warmed up I also got some faint bretty cheese-like tastes.

Overall wasn't a big fan personally, but probably more an issue of style preference. I really like sour beers like La Folie, Le Terroir, and the Russian River offerings, but this didn't do it for me. The bottle is labeled as a "dark sour ale" but I felt the sourness was faint while not really mixing well with the roasty stout flavors.

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Black as pitch, no light getting through this one. 1 finger of soft, foamy cream colored head after slightly aggressive pour that dissipates to a thin cap.

S: Predominantly malty aroma. A slight, sour, woody hint, a little cherry, not able to distinguish much more.

T: Light tartness followed by roasted malts. Able to pick up a slight hint of cherry. Not much more going on here.

M: Tartness sticks on the front of the tounge leaving roasted malts to linger on the back. Good carbonation, would have liked it to be a tad denser.

O: Good taste & mouthfeel, nothing exceptional. Not the greatest dark sour around, but good attempt. More sourness would have helped this one out.

Note: this is my first review!

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

A- very dark beer very little light peaks through. Got about an
inch of tan head. That head fades pretty quick but leaves some nice lacing.

S- for the most part a pretty standard stout smell. Dark toasty notes maybe a hint of some sour in the background but very little really.

T- dark roast, hints of chocolate and coffee then some very subtle cherry notes in the background. To be honest after having la follie I was a little surprised at how unsour this beer was but it does work. Like a nice black forest cake.

M- I would say medium. Lighter then most most stouts but not super dry as some sours can be.

Overall I really enjoyed it. If your breaking into sours this might be a nice intro. Most sour purists would probably dismiss it as the sourness is very subtle but its a decent sipper for most that would enjoy a nice dark beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

Served from 22oz. btl at BiN2860 wine & beer shop. Pours thick and onyx dark, with a beautiful sandy, tan head. Good retention and lacing.

Hints of smoked meats and campfire (almost rauchbier-like) give way quickly to rich roast malt, cocoa powder, sour cherry and blackberry fruits. Nicely layered aroma.

The sour cherry promised on the nose comes through strongly, supported by gorgeous coffee and chocolate notes, with just a hint of teriyaki beef jerky(?). Surprisingly soft, smooth mouthfeel. I think I could've had just a minute more depth, but it still definitely works for me.

I was expecting a slightly richer style, but the beer is very nicely balanced with the malt and sour flavors playing nicely together.

3.3/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

We've got Big News....the party boat is here / the band is kickin' / and I see lots of beer!

Yes. Huge Clutch fan, love New Belgium, couldn't wait to try this.

Aaaand....well, it's kind of weird. It's billed as a sour American stout, but really more of a dark brown ale. Pours an opaque brown with a quickly dissipating head and minimal lacing. Lots of coffee, dark chocolate and cherries on the nose. As for the taste....maybe like alcoholic cherry cordials with a hint of sourness on the back end? Gets progressively syrupy and difficult to drink as it warms, so drink up. Does a pretty good job of hiding the 9%, and I'm glad to have tried it this once, but not something I see myself revisiting much in the future (not that I'd be able to anyway, living in NYC and all).

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%

Background: Labeled as a Dark Sour Ale, 9% at $8 a bottle from New Belgium in Lips of Faith Series.

First Thoughts: Definitely not a sour, it's barely there. Mislabeled? Tastes awesome though, a lot going on.

The Good: Cherries, coffee, chocolate, some fruit, slight sourness, it reminds me of Stone Cherry Chocolate stout minus the sourness.

The Bad: If you are expecting a sour don't buy this it will disappoint you. If you are expecting a dark ale you might be disappointed as well.

The Bottom Line: I really like this beer. I can't believe people poured this out :( It is a mix of two styles which I appreciate as a brewer because of skill and time it takes to make but it does not really excel in either sourness or malt profile. I'd give it a solid B + and for New Belgium it surprises me (Sorry I had low expectations). I am hearing good things about their Lips of Faith series and they have my attention.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

This is my 1st review. I have read many and have learned a lot. I figured my 1st review should be on something that I have had many times. That being said, I bout a sixtel of Clutch and have had it many times. Tonight, as I type, I am currently enjoying a 3/4 pill into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass.

The appearance of this beer is dark brown. The head is linen in color and is around 1/2 inch. The lacing is very apparent and streaks the side of the glass during consumption.

The aroma reminds me of dates and strong vinegar. There is a hint of funk but it adds to the over-all sour presentation.

The mouthfeel is solid and almost coats your mouth and tongue. Its warming but not hot and tingles a bit in the back of the throat.

Taste follows aroma to closely. The is a burnt date taste mixed with a slightly overpowering vinegar pucker. Strangely, just a hair of Doritos funk follows the swallow.

Overall, I have enjoyed this 1/6th barrel.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Opaque, dark brown with a fluffy tan head.

S - Mostly roasty. Not a lot of sourness coming through in the aroma.

T - Chocolately, with a subtle sourness. Very pleasant. Nice complexity.

M - Fairly silky, comparable to a typical stout.

O - A surprisingly good beer. Roasty and full-flavored like a stout, but with a subdued sourness. If you're not a big fan of sour beers, don't be afraid of this one. It's a nice complex stout with a manageable sourness.

Served into a New Belgium tulip glass at Eureka Burger, Claremont, California.

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer is aaamazing. I love Clutch, but I really don't think it's pivotal to my opinion. I'm not uber into sours, but this beer is the right amount of column A column B for me!!
Pours with a great head, that dissipates significantly, but leaves about a half inch of head. Pours just short of the opacity of your typical porter.
I get cherry, chocolate, touch of coffee and lactic acid in the nose.
Taste is sublime. Love this stuff! All NB sours I've tried are way sour... I admittedly am not a sour buff. This is, to me, the apex example of a mix between sour cherry and mocha, put super-simply. Seems oak aged, but not sure that it is, woody character. I don't know what it means for a 'sour stout' to be balanced but, till further debunked, this is the standard.
Mouthfeel is moderate, not thin but less than syrupy, carbonation is where I want it to be.
This beer was more than I wanted. Clutch, you hypnotize me again. New Belgium, there's hope for us yet.

An amazing beer.

It pours dark and majestic, releasing a true 'sour' aroma, tantalizing the observer. While crashing upon the palate, this beer comes on strong with a true belgian sour taste, but is then overcome by a true dark porter bitters. While this would be nice for most, the sour fights back, replacing the taste again with a finsih of sour combined artfully with the bitters of a nice sharp overly roasted malt.

Truly a delightful drinking experience. The price was right, it looked right, smelled nice, and played tricks on the palate, taking the taste from sour to bitter back to sour and finishing with a creamy 'awesome'. Well done, New Belgium. Well done.

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

22oz Bomber
Labeled: Dark Sour Ale 9% abv
Poured into snifter

I'm a big Clutch fan, a big Sour fan and with this "collabeeration" being on the lower price end of the Lips of Faith series ($9.46) I was hoping for a real winner.

A: Dark brown - opaque black. Slight, thin tanish head

S: Cocoa, slight sourness, mild fruit/yeast

T: Somewhat generic malt taste, very mild sourness, cocoa, slight dark fruits. Almost like a chocolate/cherry dark brown ale.

M: Drinkable, medium carbonation, sparatic creaminess

O: Dissapointing but certainly not aweful. Going in I expected this beer to be a Belgian Strong / Sour Ale. After researching and finding that it was supposed to be a Sour Stout I understand what they were going for. It falls short in both categories. Just not sour or dark enough. Also, not sure what temp is best for this beer. I usually start my sours pretty cold and let them warm naturally but I couldn't really find the temp that this beer was best at.

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last