Lips Of Faith - Kick - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 08-10-2011

New Belgium and Elysian are together again with Kick, a rich and tart pumpkin cranberry ale blended with wood-aged beer for a uniquely complex harvest season sour.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 418 | Reviews: 208
2.01/5  rDev -48.1%

S: Cranberry tartness with some pumpkin spices. Unfortunately, sort of smells like bile with this combination.

L: Hazy, light orange, not much head.

T: Tastes similar to how it smells. Tart cranberry malt with some spiciness. Touch of lactic acid near the finish. Quite sweet finish with a touch of lactic sourness.

M: Medium high carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

Not that good, flavors just don't work. Tart and sour don't work with pumpkin, i got flashbacks of college and bile pouring out of my mouth.

2.29/5  rDev -40.8%

Thanks goes to wisconsinality and KHM for plunking down the ducketts for this bottle. Split into tulips.

A: Rather clear rusty amber orange hue. Solid amount of beige head. Soapy lace left behind.

S: Not much to pick put here. Faint tartness from the cranberry and a bit of malt sweetness. No pumpkin or spice to speak of.

T: Very blah. A mild hint of sourness that could honestly be my imagination playing with me. After that all I get is a bland malt bill that reminds me of weak home brew. No cranberry or pumpkin.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation.

O: To say I'm disappointed with this one is an understatement. I had high hopes from NB combining to awesome flavors. Sadly it fell amazingly flat in my opinion.

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

Tangerine colored beer with a small white head.

Smells sour with a mushroom or mildew funk. Faint pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Some vanilla and some oak but mostly sour.

Starts out quite sour. A little mushroom taste but I have a hard time tasting anything except the sourness it is quite strong. Just plain sour, yuck.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall, this is a drain pour. If I wanted something this sour I can suck on a lemon.

Addendum. I didn't actually drain pour this and tried it again after a few other beers. And....it still sucks. Yes I know Poo Pooing a popular beer isn't politically correct but in my Opinion...This beer just plain sucks.

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is 2012's sour pumpkin ale made as a collaboration between New Belgium's Kim Jordan and Elysian's Dick Cantwell (also see my review of He Said by Cantwell.) It was made with 75% ale with pumpkins and cranberry juice, and 25% ale aged in wooden barrels. I couldn't find out if there was any wine or booze in the barrels. I tried this ale last year at a brewclub meeting and really hated it, but kept my bottle hidden away in the hopes that it would improve with age.

Aroma: Sour as anything! Layered with acetic (vinegar) sourness and wild yeast sourness. There is a musty forest floor aroma as swirled. No spicing noted. Some pineapple aromas as it warms.

Appearance: Deep golden color with a slight haze. Small white head with large bubbles.

Flavor: Sharp bitterness up front and a strong sour zing. I taste the pineapple esters from the Brettanomyces. Tart cranberry and an astringent earthy note. This has a very thin body and ends dry and raspy on the tongue.

Overall: I'm not a huge fan. There isn't much to this other than SOUR! Lacks complexity that I look for in sour beers and I don't get much pumpkin through that tartness. I do like it better than last year (dumped) but still didn't have more than half a glass before I let it go. A bit disappointed with New Belgium and Dick Cantwell for this one--it should have been amazing based on most of their other projects.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An autumn offering on the Lip of Faith series. These seem to be coming out more frequently.

Pours a bright, light, clear orange/reddish color. Soapy, loose, splotchy white head. Looks like soda.

Slightly sour, lactic aroma. Tannin. Didn't detect any malt or hops. That's strange for me, but this is a fruit beer...I guess.

Cranberries dominate here. Tannin, tart. Fruity and floral. Some hints of spice, but nothing that evokes pumpkin from me. A bit vanilla and wood. Puckery a bit on the feel. Sweet. Somewhat fungal aftertaste with lactic acid jumping around

I hope this is an experimental beer and they improve on it later. It's just not very good to me. drain pour

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured an amber orange color with a little bit of the cranberry reddish color peeking through. It had a thin white head that faded down to a scant lacing after a minute or so.

The aroma has very tart, sour cranberry thing going on. It's a little sharp with some vinegar notes definitely present. I don't find it a pleasant sourness though unfortunately. The vinegary, tart cranberry flavor didn't work for me at all.

The taste shows more of the sharp, tart, sourness to it right off the bat. Midway the cranberries start to come out with bringing more of a dry, tart, fruity flavor with it. It's a little vinegary in the finish as well. Again the flavors just didn't work for me at all unfortunately.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Overall I didn't really care for it. The sourness seemed to lack any real depth or character beyond the sharp, tart cranberry flavor. It seemed a little vinegary to me as well and almost felt more like a beer gone bad rather than an intentional sour. I usually love sours and American wilds, this one however isn't one that I enjoyed unfortunately.

2.62/5  rDev -32.3%

I allowed this one to mellow for about a year and it obviously did not do any good. The appearance was the of a nice red tinted ale. There was not a significant amount of head. Bearing in mind that two fruits are identified with this brew, there was a strong cranberry aroma. This aroma was very honest based on the taste. Shockingly, this tasted like a cranberry juice sparkler. It made mean wonder if Ocean Spray gets any of the royalties on this one.There were vanilla notes and some woodiness, but no attention grabbers. The sour in the cranberries really comes through in the aftertaste. This certainly did not taste barrel aged, and came across as an imitation of a sour. I did not notice any pumpkin.

2.68/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Too citrusy, with a bitter after taste

2.71/5  rDev -30%

New Belgium Brewing Lips Of Faith Kick is tart.

It poured dark straw with a short-lived two-finger bubbly white head. It left a strong and thick web of lace on the glass. The aroma was metallic. I'm not sure whether "tart" is a flavor or feel, but that's all either the taste or mouthfeel had -- mouth puckering tartness.

2.72/5  rDev -29.7%

Enjoyed on-tap at Harry's Hofbrau in San Jose.

Sits an opaque pale tangerine color with hardly any head on top. Sour orange aroma with some cranberry and maybe cherry. Orange taste kicks this off followed by sour sugar and cranberry. Some pale malt is in there somewhere. A bit mouth puckering and sweet. Feels thin and dry, lightly carbonated. Delicate mouthfeel.

This is almost great, but not quite. I expected a little more complexity in the nose. There needs to be a bit more balance to the sour sweetness. Then again, I'm not much of a Supplication fan either, so take that as you will. I really enjoyed the cranberry, but I didn't get any pumpkin in this at all. Which isn't really a bad thing in my opinion. I just found it strange that the orange characteristics completely supplanted the pumpkin characteristics. I'm a little confused and bitter about this beer, despite the fact that this beer should have been a little more bitter than it was.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.79/5  rDev -27.9%

appearance: pours a clear, pale amber, moderately carbonated, creamy foam, dissipating into a creamy film of lacing on the glass.

smell: cranberry notes are predominant, not much particularly discernible in the undertones except for a light maltiness.

taste: begins tart and tangy with the taste of the cranberry juice coming forward, notes of pumpkin lie in the undertones of the taste, but yields to a sharply tart dry-hop bitterness in the finish.

overall: unique, but hard to assess otherwise on the overall; part of it comes off as an ale that just has cranberry juice added to it, but part of it comes off as a pumpkin ale with an atraditional infusion that seems to enhance the flavor; trying to stay somewhat neutral on this one, you're going to love it or you're going to hate it.

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

A: Pale amber.

S: The smell is quite subtle. Hints of oak, tartness, and a fruity (almost candied) sweetness.

T: Mildly tart, cranberry candy with a hay-like aftertaste. There is no hint of actual pumpkin flavor but a strong resemblance to a thinner, sweeter pumpkin ale.

M: Thin, with a slight syrupy feel on the tongue.

O: Had this on tap a few months back and I remember it being slightly better and more tart. Regardless, it's a fairly enjoyable fruit brew but could use a bit more sourness to balance the flavor.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Pours a hazy orange-golden with a white head an nice lacing. A tart and slightly sweet funky aroma with a comparable flavor profile. The tart side of the cranberry shows itself in the front a little sweeter in the rear with some flavor of fresh, raw pumpkin peaking through if I looked for it. Mildly funky throughout. The pumpkin works mosty in the mouthfeel, giving it a nice meaty medium body to this. Overall, a decent brew. Nothing earth shattering that I will rush to try again but enjoyed getting to try it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lips Of Faith - Kick from New Belgium Brewing