Lips Of Faith - Kick - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - KickLips Of Faith - Kick

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

New Belgium and Elysian are together again with Kick, a rich and tart pumpkin cranberry ale blended with wood-aged beer for a uniquely complex harvest season sour.

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 08-10-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Kick Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Medium orange color with no sediment or haze. Completely translucent. Poured with a small amount of white foamy head.

S: Smells like a thanksgiving dinner in a single beer. I keep smelling turkey, but I'm sure that's just a subliminal remembrance of dinners past. The pumpkin and cranberry are very clearly the dominant scents.

T: Very dry and tart, with a moderately sour base to it. Malt is relatively subdued, as are the cranberry and pumpkin that were so dominant in the scent.

M: Very carbonated with reasonable sized bubbles. Body seems relatively thick.

O: I've never had a cranberry pumpkin beer prior to this, nor a sour pumpkin beer. It's interesting, dry, tart, and refreshing. Nicely done, New Belgium.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at Freshcraft

A-Orange gold with a nice foamy head

S-Tart fruit.

T-Subtle pumpkin flavor with oak and sour cranberries.

M-Crisp and refreshing, clean on the palate

O-I wish there was more pumpkin flavor, but overall a fun approach to a pumpkin beer

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a medium amber with a frothy full white head, nice lace.

S: Cranberry juice with a hint of pumpkin, acidic smell.

T: Cranberry and pear predominately with a note of oak in the finish. Moderately acidic throughout, good flavour, though the pumpkin is negligible.

M: Medium full-bodied, creamy, smooth, full strucuture, somewhat viscous.

O: A very good beer very much in the fall tradition. Fun stuff.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

I am a huge Pumpkin beer fan. That said, I am a huge sour pumpkin beer fan (i.e. Ichabod 2009, La Parcela, etc.). I had high hopes for this beer. Let’s see how this goes! Shared with my brother-in-law.

Appearance – Pours into a tulip with a dark golden, orange color. About a finger of bright white head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing.

Smell – A wonderful aroma of cranberry, pumpkin, and spices at the front. Just a hint of funk and sour aromas can be detected.

Taste – This is for sure more cranberry heavy than pumpkin. In my opinion, this is not a bad thing. The slight tartness of the cranberry is intermixed with the slight sourness of the pumpkin. The spices are somewhat subdued (again, not a bad thing for a “sour” pumpkin/cranberry beer). A slight green apple tartness at the end.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy, and perky carbonation.

Overall – Very pleased with this beer. I have one more of this, and will be picking up a few more. Extremely quaffable, tasty (though not as funky as I would have hoped – I would freaking love to have a 100% BA version of this btw) and to put it in perspective, my sister actually enjoyed this too. Can’t wait to have a few more.

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

Interesting concept for a Fall beer, a pumpkin and cranberry beer, one quarter aged in wooden barrels. Let's see.

Poured into a New Belgium Globe. Pours a clear reddish orange, with a fizzy two fingered white head that stands up. Head is slow to fall. Lacing doesn't stick.

Aromas of lactic acid, cranberries, wood, fresh baked pumpkin, but no spices. I think I found a pumpkin beer I like.

Flavors of lactic acid sourness, cranberries, and pumpkin. No hop flavor, and thank God, no pumpkin pie spices. The pumpkin adds a nice touch, like fresh baked pumpkin out of the oven.

Mouthfeel is puckering from the sourness, plus a light creaminess from the pumpkin. Good carbonation, with a little carbonic acid bite along the tongue and roof of the mouth.

Overall, this is fantastic. The pumpkin creaminess and lactic sourness provide a nice contrast that works very well. I like it!

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Orange with white head, poor retention and no lacing. Salty pretzel and pumpkin aroma. Salty yeast and sour with light pumpkin and cranberry end. Finishes semi-dry with a thin silky light stickiness.

An interesting sour beer with pumpkin notes that are not strong but the cranberries don’t seem to make to muck of an appearance except in the sour notes and light sweetness there’s the faintest hint of them. It really is rather an ugly beer and it’s not very aromatic but it makes up for it in the balanced flavor department. If you like a sour this is certainly one to try.

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured an amber orange color with a little bit of the cranberry reddish color peeking through. It had a thin white head that faded down to a scant lacing after a minute or so.

The aroma has very tart, sour cranberry thing going on. It's a little sharp with some vinegar notes definitely present. I don't find it a pleasant sourness though unfortunately. The vinegary, tart cranberry flavor didn't work for me at all.

The taste shows more of the sharp, tart, sourness to it right off the bat. Midway the cranberries start to come out with bringing more of a dry, tart, fruity flavor with it. It's a little vinegary in the finish as well. Again the flavors just didn't work for me at all unfortunately.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Overall I didn't really care for it. The sourness seemed to lack any real depth or character beyond the sharp, tart cranberry flavor. It seemed a little vinegary to me as well and almost felt more like a beer gone bad rather than an intentional sour. I usually love sours and American wilds, this one however isn't one that I enjoyed unfortunately.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

22oz bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A: Slightly hazy orange copper color. Bright white one finger head with decent retention and great lacing.

S: Mainly sour qualities. Cherries and cranberries mainly with some apples. A very light pumpkin spice with a hint of nutmeg. Good smelling for a sour, bad for a pumpkin ale. Good that they classified it as a fruit beer!

T: A light sweet pumpkin on the front of the tongue. Then a very tart cranberry juice. Finishing with a very light pumpkin spice. Doesn't mesh that good IMO.

M: Medium bodied. Higher carbonation. Nice medium sourness. Light creaminess.

O: Not a great beer IMO. But nothing is wrong with it at all. I don't think the pumpkin meshes greatly with the sour qualities.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pours perfectly clear, brilliant orange color with a soapy white head. Carbonation streaming to the top of the glass.

S: I get a kind of burnt sensation when smelling this, like toast. There is some residual sweetness coming from the pumpkin, which seems to fall in the background but is defiantly there.

T: The first thing you pick up on is the lip-puckering sourness that carries through to the finish and beyond. I get some fruit in the mid-palate: pear and cranberries mostly, I get very little pumpkin if any at all. The finish carries the sourness.

M: Moderatly to Heavily carbonated, and a light body, it's almost thin like drinking cranberry juice. Somewhat astringent.

D: Quite low, I'd just stick with one. This is a big beer.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a surly nonic.

I'd never tried anything from the lips of faith series so when I saw this brand new, cool looking bottle out on the shelf I decided now was the time. I didn't have huge expectations but this still managed to disappoint me a little. Yeasty cranberry juice with a tiny 'kick' of pumpkin and wood that ultimately just comes off as pumpkin seed. There's a little bit of maple syrup sweetness in the finish, too. In contrast to what the label would have you thin, pumpkin is so minor in this I imagine only the finest of pallates would pick it out in a blind tasting.

The beer isn't terrible or anything-- it's easy to drink, but it's hard to love.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid Glass on 8/24/11
*From notes

A: What a crazy looking beer, though it's certainly a stunner. It's a peachy-jack o'lantern hue, and on a gentle pour, I get a 2.5 finger head and generous lacing.

S: Slightly funky red fruit, with a touch of autumn spice.

T: Sour cranberry. The pumpkin is definitely there, but marginally and in a supporting role. The sour aspect is quite light and really helps to balance the fruit in an extremely refreshing yet tasteful way.

M: For a beer that's even slightly sour, the mouthfeel is top notch. You can't really ask for anything more, as it's bubbly, creamy and voluptuous.

O: I really fell in love with New Belgium's Lips of Faith Kick. It's approachable in a way I've never encountered in a sour. I've introduced this to folks who would never drink a Hanssen's, yet they really dug this. It's so unique and delicious now, yet I can't wait to see what this does with a year or two in the cellar.

Highly recommended.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass.

A white and light head with some... somewhat together retention sits on top of a cloudy almost dull looking orange amber. Slight haze but a very nice orb glowing sensation, small white collar manages to stay along the glass while drinking.

Nose is kind of small, hints at box juiced fruit but just a little bolder, some tart and very small acid. Berry like as well with a juicy consistency.

Taste is, once again a tartness mixing with weak juice and berry fruits. Red berried and tart (cranberries), texture has just enough playful fizz to make this entertaining, such as throwing a strawberry into a glass of somewhat flat sparkling wine. For 8.5 percent very light bodied and easy on the palate and not boozy.

Overall this is kind of enjoyable. A fruit beer that definitely feels and tastes like a piece of fruit, and some spritzy fun.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Nice pourability. Brew looks kinda thin... Head is slightly off-white orange foam. Brew is cloudy peach color.

S - Smells kinda like a rotten Coors Light, Yuck! lots of sour funk going on here... Strong apple, lemon, and peach scents.

T - Weird. Very unique. Not NB's typical sour... Very mild sourness... Not a whole lot of pumpkin rounding this brew... Kinda harsh around the edges, i'll be curious to see what this one does in a year...

M - Nice carbonation! Great wet feeling. Slight heat from the high ABV...

O - A good brew, but not a great brew... I'll buy one or two more to see where it goes with time. Worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Thin, white, bubbly head. Clear, honey gold. Lots of bubbles.

S: Pumpkin and sweet cranberry juice. A little spicy and sour.

T: Really sour. Spices and some cranberry. Yeast.

M: Carbonated and smooth.

O: Good, but a little too sour for my taste.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Had this on tap at FreshCraft. Arrived a deep amber color with some pink-ish highlights to it. Carbonation’s not to strong, but is consistent and never fades.
The best way to describe this beer is “unusual.” Initially you might think this is a sour beer similar to Eric’s Ale or La Folie. Citric acidity starts things off, and I’d say the cranberry is identifiable without even knowing it’s part of the beer. The tartness of the berry blends pretty well. However the middle tends to send the beer into identity crisis mode when you get a little hint of pumpkin pie. Not sure if there’s any or much spice to it, but the sour/sweetness of the beer brings that familiarity out of the pumpkins they used. The finish seems to be of the sour variety, but then some woody vanilla shows up to keep that from lingering too much on the palate.
I found myself taking more sips just trying to figure out what was going on in the glass. It’s tasty and interesting at the same time. I can probably see some people not liking it, too.
I know I definitely want more and hopefully I can scrounge up a bottle or two before they’re all gone.
I’d definitely recommend this if you like sour beers and are feeling a little adventurous.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

A: This is an extremely crystal clear (not counting vigorous tiny carbonation bubbles Amber color. Topped with a very white head which has ok retention starting off strong but fizzling away. Decent bits of lacing left behind though.

S: This stuff smells crazy! Pumpkin pie crust leaps forth with all its customary spices (allspice, nutmeg for sure).

T: Wow! So surprising. This smells like pumpkin pie but tastes like sour cranberry and lemon peel and green apple jolly ranchers. The pumpkin pie flavors do barely enter the picture leaving a crusty sweetness which backs up the dominating acidic twang. Along the way once this gets to maybe 68-72 degrees, this finishes. A subtle oak presence along with Grannysmith tartness lingers. The taste goes on and on maybe 10 min after a sip. After all that time green Jolly rancher reminisce still produces it's self, and who doesn't like green jolly ranchers!?
Everything goes very well together like cranberry on a table next to a close crusted pumpkin pie (or on top?). I'm getting more of this.

M: Very think feel and this would come as a surprise as well. The clarity is so bright, one would expect a very crisp mouth feel. There is a tickling pop at the beginning but soon turns in to an incredibly smooth yes sticky long ride down the palate. Cool. Extremely long finish on this beer.

O: I think this is a fantastic achievement and one of the best, if not the best New Belgium beers I have tried to date.

---I did an experiment with this beer not being sure which glass I wanted to drink it out of. So I tried it out of three different tulip shaped glasses.

La Chouffe (what I expected to be the best)

nose: 2
lacing: 5
Taste: 1.5

Delirium Tremens bowl shaped tulip.

nose: 4
lacing: 2
Taste: 3

Lost abby "for saints and sinners alike" wicked shaped angular oversized tulip. (because I know this glass; while awesome looking, keeps very little head; due I assume to its very angular midsection, I thought this would be the worst glass)

nose: 4
lacing: 1
Taste: 5

Surprisingly to me the very shapely hour glass shaped Tulip from La Chouffe was by far the worst. Delirium takes second, and Lost Abbey wins out. I believe its something to do with the shape of the very top of the glass. At the middle an angular turn inward making a tight bowl. Then there is another angular turn at the and just as aggressive at the brim in the opposite (widening) direction. This I would speculate sends the liquid within into ones mouth at a different place than the other glassware, in this case causing a very good result.

Lacing has less to do with aroma than I had been lead to believe and results in little to no benefit with this particular beer. I suspect that this wont be the only case. More to come...

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

A: The beer has a robust head with a great golden orange colored body.
S: It has a great bitter cranberry aroma with hints of pumpkin.
T: The beer has a nice strong bitter cranberry flavor coupled with a great oak finish. The pumpkin is very subtle but does more to add a nice creamy head.
M/O: Good character and an interesting choice for the combination. The pumpkin wasn't in it as much as I expected but the beer really speaks to autumn.

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours an amber/gold color w/ a nice two finger off white head. Very little carbonation and medium lacing. Beer is fairly easy to see through. Head disappears pretty quickly- about 3-4 minutes. Smell is that of pumpkin, cranberry, oak, some malt, and sour funk. Fairly balanced and pretty good smelling nose. Not too sour. Cranberry really comes out in the taste. Sourness increases in the taste as well, and pumpkin is relegated to the background. It's not too sour, and actually pretty tasty- and I'm not a huge sour fan. Mouthfeel is medium, somewhat tart, and fairly dry. Overall, this is a nice beer from New Belgium. I really enjoyed this. Probably the best I've tried from this brewery. Recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Clear orange color with a bit of haze and faint crimson highlights. Decent head with a moderate pour, and nice decorative lacing. 4.5

S: A prominent tartness immediately hits the nose. Definitely the cranberry juice acidity dominates here. I don’t get any pumpkin at all, or any “pumpkin spice”... Still, I love the aroma. 4

T&M: Up front the tartness you get on the nose comes through, but isn’t offensive in any way. It’s perfect and lends well to the flavor which is mostly cranberry. Again, not getting any pumpkin, and the hop presence is minimal. Mildly acidic, maybe some lactic acid. Possible some mild woody funk. This beer is mostly about the cranberry juice, its acidity and the tartness is imparts on the overall beer. Mouthfeel is perfect. Not too crisp but not too heavy. Creamy smooth and somehow refreshing and light at the same time. 4 / 4.5

O: Very good. Possibly one of my favorite LoF beers yet. I highly recommend it. 4.5

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter.

I was worried about this one because of how disappointed I was with Clutch, but I liked this one far more. This pours an amber orange color with a white head. The smells are citrus, some pumpkin, spice and cranberry. Feel is medium to thin. The taste is pretty good, the cranberries are by far the predominate taste with the spice and pumpkin in the background. The cranberries gives this a very tart almost sour taste, compared to the only other cranberry beer I've had (the one from Samuel Adams). this is way better. Overall I liked this one a bunch and at a cheaper price, I'll be sure to pick up a few more bombers while I can.

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%

New Belgium Brewing Lips Of Faith Kick is tart.

It poured dark straw with a short-lived two-finger bubbly white head. It left a strong and thick web of lace on the glass. The aroma was metallic. I'm not sure whether "tart" is a flavor or feel, but that's all either the taste or mouthfeel had -- mouth puckering tartness.

2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

Thanks goes to wisconsinality and KHM for plunking down the ducketts for this bottle. Split into tulips.

A: Rather clear rusty amber orange hue. Solid amount of beige head. Soapy lace left behind.

S: Not much to pick put here. Faint tartness from the cranberry and a bit of malt sweetness. No pumpkin or spice to speak of.

T: Very blah. A mild hint of sourness that could honestly be my imagination playing with me. After that all I get is a bland malt bill that reminds me of weak home brew. No cranberry or pumpkin.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation.

O: To say I'm disappointed with this one is an understatement. I had high hopes from NB combining to awesome flavors. Sadly it fell amazingly flat in my opinion.

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

appearance: pours a clear, pale amber, moderately carbonated, creamy foam, dissipating into a creamy film of lacing on the glass.

smell: cranberry notes are predominant, not much particularly discernible in the undertones except for a light maltiness.

taste: begins tart and tangy with the taste of the cranberry juice coming forward, notes of pumpkin lie in the undertones of the taste, but yields to a sharply tart dry-hop bitterness in the finish.

overall: unique, but hard to assess otherwise on the overall; part of it comes off as an ale that just has cranberry juice added to it, but part of it comes off as a pumpkin ale with an atraditional infusion that seems to enhance the flavor; trying to stay somewhat neutral on this one, you're going to love it or you're going to hate it.

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one pours a bright copper in color with a one finger soft white head. It's pretty light in body and the head dissipates to barely lace the glass. Initially the aromas are very heavy on the cranberry, which is somewhat tart, and only let a minute amount of pumpkin to show through. As the beer warms you get a moderate amount of pumpkin and spice. Initially I wasn't impressed but as it has had time to sit I find it more appealing. The flavors are tart and slightly sour. The cranberry juice comes through pretty strong, and you can definitely tell that it is juice and not whole berries. The pumpkin and spice take a backseat and it finishes with a light touch of alcohol. It's different and interesting. The type of sour presented is kind of odd, it could be because of the odd pairing of flavors. It drinks extremely light and leaves a subtle sour taste behind. Overall it's an interesting beer, not great, but interesting and worth a try, especially at $6.99.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

A most surprising and good experience. I really like this one and it's a great consumer friendly introduction to the style. Pours a clear dark cranberry with a fast fading short head.

Nose is all oranges, sweet citrus, hints of sweet lime and unsweetened cranberries. There is a hint of pumpkin but not that overly spiced "Thanksgiving pumpkin pie" character that I, for one, don't like. This is a very high acid and bright "pumpkin/cranberry" brew.

Mouthfeel is medium/thin but perfectly balanced and perfect for the flavor profile. The mouthfeel highlights the bright character of this one.

Flavors follow nose with bright and appealing citrus, cranberry, orange and lemon/lime citrus character. Undertones of spice and pumpkin but, again, not the "pumpkin pie" variety. This is extremely drinkable and consumer friendly.

Finish is bright, a hint of sour and citrus. Appealing and makes you want more.

A real surprise for me, one who does not appreciate or like pumpkin based brews. I'll be drinking this for the next several weeks while it's on the shelves. A nice one.

Lips Of Faith - Kick from New Belgium Brewing