Lips Of Faith - Prickly Passion Saison - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Prickly Passion SaisonLips Of Faith - Prickly Passion Saison

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Doodler on 11-02-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Prickly Passion Saison Alström Bros

I had this on-tap at Max's. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden with a finger of fluffy white head. Solid retention and mild lacing.

Smell: A little bit sweet with lots of grain coming through. Lots of herbal notes and a bit soapy.

Taste: Herbal up front with Belgian spice from the yeast. Not particularly fruity, which is a bit disappointing. Sweet grain and a bit watery overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressively tingly carbonation and a crisp, dry finish.

Overall: The taste was alright but not nearly full enough. I wouldn't have this one again.

Poured part of a 22 oz. bottle into a Rogue Dead Guy Ale pint glass which produced a golden yellow brew with a smidge of haze and a snow white half inch of head that dwindled almost as soon as it was poured. Minor ringed lacing around the glass.

The smell is very unique, although it's definately a Belgium Ale smell. Shaken with the glass under a coaster the smell is BOLD ... I don't know a description for it. It's not malt, or fruit, or sugar, it's just a BOLD aroma. Uncovered, the brew smells like Belgium crystal sugars.

The flavor is earthy yeasts, crystal sugars, and minor malts. Minimal tartness, medium dry on the tongue, with medium low carbination. This is my 1st Saison/Farmhouse Ale and my 6th Belgium Style brew and I've come to the conclusion that basically, of the styles that I have tryed, there is just to friggin much crystal sugars for me. They remind me more of wine than beer. Don't get me wrong, I am amazed at the brewing, fermenting processes that these "brews" go through. The multiple yeasts and fermentation temperatures, the ageing and bottle conditioning is amazing, but damned; the crystal sugars just overwhelm these brews TO ME (but then....I am a redneck).

I loved Alagash Four, Westmale Trappist Dupple, and St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but while the other 5 Belgium styles that I have tryed were very complex. it all came back to the crystal sugars. Even with an open mind, alot of these "brews" are beyond what I would consider joyful drinking. The sad part for ME is that every time I go to purchase beer, it seems like some other brewer is on the "Let's brew a Belgium" bandwagon.

Ok getting down off my bandwagon. To me this brew misses on the fruity aroma and flavor. I picked up no spice and the bitterness was on the low side and the touch of sweetness was more like a shovel full.

Perhaps more cellering would make this an outstanding brew, but as I drink it right now it is a C brew at best.

Lips Of Faith - Prickly Passion Saison from New Belgium Brewing