Lips Of Faith - Fresh Hop India Pale Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Fresh Hop India Pale AleLips Of Faith - Fresh Hop India Pale Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: StonedTrippin on 11-03-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Fresh Hop India Pale Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.43/5  rDev -14%

22 picked up last night at the COOP... Poured into my Delerium goblet.. foamy 1" head... nice lacing and retention.. the brew is pale orange.. very pretty.

Nose shows citrus and big grassy hoppiness... a bit of fruity hops.. amarillo?

Flavor is odd... big bitter that moves immediately into the fruity hops.. the citrus is there, but in the background.. pale malts come swinging.. and there is something that I can't put my palate on.... a bit of vegetal note.. herby....

Body and carbonation are fine... but I don't really dig the fresh hop "IPA" notes... things just don't jive.. the grassy hops and citrus clash a bit.. with warmth, there is even some pine that makes it even harder to appreciate...

This is an okay brew.. but it never... NEVER .. gels at all.. decent malt and hops... fresh or otherwise.. but the beer only is okay.

3.41/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Darkness snifter.

It produced a nice, soapy, white head at about 2-fingers. Decent retention that left some seriously clumpy lacing behind. Crystal clear, reddish-honey color. This is a vibrant and inviting looking beer.

Wonderful juicy hop nose. Citrus and flowers. Maybe a little malt. Smells like liquid Juicy-Fruit.

Something is off here. I'm getting more vegetable than fruit; almost like wheatgrass. It's not a bad taste, it's just not what I'm used to in a hop profile. Moderately bitter throughout, with a minimal malt backing.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Low to moderate carbonation is just adequate. Dry middle and finish.

Overall this is a good, but perplexing brew. I've never encountered this "veggie" hop flavor before, and the further down this bomber I go I don't seem to be too fond of it. It tastes green, like chlorophyl. This is not a gross brew, but there is something wrong here. Maybe the hops weren't quite ready, I don't know, but I'm a bit disappointed. Cheers!

3.36/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours into the tulip glass almost translucent light orange in color, three fingers of soapy foamy head that leave behind amazing amounts of lacing for an IPA. Body is lighter side of medium thick, well carbonated, smells at first of a brief hit of turpentine but resolves into a more standard IPA nose which leans heavy on the pine resin. Flavor is a heady kick of bitter that never really resolves into any sort of malt backbone that I could detect, so it is somewhat unbalanced in my book. But, in its favor, I have to admit that all the pithy and pine sap elements have a certain remarkable level of crispness and clarity in their straight forward fresh hopped simplicity that managed to charm me somewhat despite my love of complexity in my brews. I've had better, I've had worse. If only this brew had used a wider variety of hops and at least let a hint of malt speak it's mind, it could have been brilliant. Looks pretty, but underneath its kind of shallow and one-trick pony.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear light copper orange with a big fluffy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is caramel and toasted biscuit malt with piney, grassy, resiny fruity hops.

The flavor is toasted caramel malts with some melon and a lot of resiny pine. It has a lot of bitterness in the finish but a bit of a weird plasticky note. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light prickly carbonation.

Overall, it's interesting. Definitely the bitterest beer I've had from New Belgium. Other than the weird off note in the aftertaste and a little to much of a toasted note, this could be pretty good. Still decent though.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Pours a clear honey-color with two fingers of white head that recedes into a thin layer with decent lacing.

S: Some pineapple at front followed by grassy and pine aromas from the fresh hops. I also get an unusual melon aroma--similar to watermelon or cucumber.

T: Lots of grassy and piny hops at first with some citrus rind flavors as well. These are followed by that unusual watermelon/cucumber flavor that I smelled. The finish is moderately bitter.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer is a bit watery feeling.

O: Not a bad beer, but the unusual watermelon/cucumber notes in the aroma and flavor are a turn-off for me since I'm not a big fan of those fruits. I imagine I would enjoy the beer a lot more if I liked those flavors. It's also a little too bitter for my tastes.

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A real nice crystal clear bronze gold, with hardly any, but some small rising slow pin head carbonation sized bubbles. Head has lots of foamy retention, nice cap, simple off white. Kind of light looking, appearance is fairly good, really light

Mellow and mild nose. Slightly sweet, kind of powdery, almost like baby aspirin. Mild grass hop bent, after a few more whiffs. Different, not exciting, certainly not bad either.

This is weird tasting. Powdery sweet aspirin mixes with a hop bitter. A bit medicinal bitter in the palate, not much of a malt body or any sugars. No bread bakery, or chewy hop tastes. A very astringent bitter afterfinish that is like powdered aspirin, or more like bitter antibiotics. Subsequent drinks and sips bring more of this medicinal bitter to the front. Feel is about right for the style, with a little bit of syrup and texture and a little bit of carbonation.

So where is the fresh tasting, hoppy bitter, citrus, pine, lime, floral, I mean anything on this thing? Really not enjoyable here at all, overall really not enjoying this.

2.66/5  rDev -33.3%

A: Crystal clear copper with tiny bubbles fighting for surface supremacy. Lots of thick creamy head that leaves a spackling of lacing all the way down to the last drop.

S: Sweet berry like fruitiness, piney hops, earthy.

T: I'm not sure how to put this nicely, but this is just gross. The predominant flavor I get from this is a sweet vegetal flavor that's just very unappealing. Whatever is going on with this beer it's not for me, and to be honest, given my love of IPAs, I don't encounter it often (sometimes, but not often). I think this is a big FAIL for New Belgium.

M: Big mouthfeel with low to medium carbonation. A little resinous bitterness lingers on the finish.

O: I'm struggling to finish this one bottle, and deeply regretting having spent $8 on this bomber. I would not buy this again, and would recommend friends to not buy this either. I'm contemplating a drain pour in favor of some home brew.

2.55/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

From 22oz bomber to Hess imperial pint glass on 11/21/11
*From notes

A: Clean golden amber in hue. A good pour yields a frothy two finger white head. Some nice lacing too.

S: Some earth tones and acidic, juicy hops.

T: It starts well, yet it falls apart in short order. The juicy hop kick starts things off on a high note. But as it travels to the mid, there's a massive amount of buttery diacytal and rotting green herbage. As it warms, the vegetal quality of it becomes much more pronounced.

M: Well put together. It's got plenty of body to it, which works out well for an Autumn seasonal.

O: Not a big fan this Fresh Hop IPA. I don't really know what went wrong here, but it most certainly did. All of the parts are willing and able, yet this does nothing but wreck the palate. It reminds me of a homebrewing experiment gone wrong. I'd pass on this, and with pleasure.

2.45/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A pretty disappointing fresh hop ale, a drinkable generic brew at best...

Presentation:22 oz screen printed brown capped bottle. Large green-yellow hop cone illustrating the bottle . Side paragraphs notes intent, and main characteristics. Shows 70 IBUs and 7% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Clear pale amber pour with a nice frothy head, good retention and surface memory with nice touches of lacing.

S - Shy, shy… Absent nose! Nowhere near an IPA, let alone a fresh one, or a wet hop one for that matter. Generic soft fruity and bitter sense in the distance, imagining a floral touch of the Centennial… But it is just that, my imagination...

T - Generic nothingness… Bitter character, sorta hoppy, but with a loose meld of soft citric and fruity bitterness…. Fresh Centennial, Amarillo and Cascade they say? Where? Where are they? Soft malty sweetness… in the background.

M - Medium body and moderate carbonation with a fair smoothness unable to push much of the non-existent flavor and character around.

O - Quaffable as a nondescript brew, but this does not hit the mark of a fresh hop ale, at all. At least not in this serving… Did they bottle something else here?

Notes: Whoa, what a let down… This was picked up off the shelf the day it was delivered and drank that same evening. It can not get fresher than this around here… Please, can I blame it on the delivery from Colorado to the East Coast or on a bad bottle? No character, no sense of hops, all subdued, and generic… I´d be game to try it again but it would not be me who pays for another bomber of this brew. Plenty better out there on the fresh hop front this season, by a broad margin. Heck, I´d get a fresh bottle of their Ranger for less than half of what I paid here and would have more hop character, with a difference. New Belgium can do, and does, much better than this…

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last