Dig - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: WastingFreetime on 01-16-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dig Alström Bros
Reviews: 233 | Hads: 1,067

I was sad to hear that Mighty Arrow was leaving but dayyum Dig is good.

Appearance: Honey in color. White head. Dissipates to a thin layer and leaves a fair amount of lacing.

Smell: Very citrus in nature but not grapefruit. It is very lemony and bright. Lots of hop on the nose. You've probably not had anything like this hop profile in front your nose before. Very unique imo.

Taste: Follows the nose. Lots of lemony citrus. Nice malt backbone as well. A little bitter and a little sweet. The sweetness from the malts compliments the zesty lemon hop profile perfectly.

Mouthfeel: A perfect balance between sweet and bitter means this one goes down smooth. There is a good level of carbonation as well.

Overall: This is a surprisingly awesome beer. Give it a shot and check your prejudice before you pour. NB is pumping out some super high quality stuff right now. (870 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +31.2%

Wow, this is a GREAT APA!! Poured at a good temperature with a large, foamy, billowy, thick, golden tan head, that lasts a long time, and good lace. Color is a very clear orange amber with some nice bubble trails. Aroma is malt, hop, caramel, earth, spent grist, a little fruit and citrus. Flavor's much like nose, very well balanced with the bitter, sweet, and tang just right. Body is just right for this beer, a few round high points from hop and acid, full mouth. Finish is like flavor, quite short and extremely satisfying yet ready for more. Very well done. (563 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +25%

Juicy hops, crisp mouthfeel, quenching but makes you want another. I hope this baby is a blockbuster. Per the label, spicy lemon and exotic fruit pour through, from the Sorachi Ace and Citra hops, respectively. Shares the same abv (5.6%) and hopefully the same esteem as what I see as a direct competitor, good ol' SNPA.

Best APA offering I've run into in a long time, such a shame that it's only a seasonal. (409 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Expiration Date of 13 May 2012, very fresh indeed!

Pours amber with 3+ fingers of of cream colored head. Great head retention & fairly impressive lacing

S: Orange peel, lemon & pine

T: Some biscuitty malt, orange peel & tangerines & a touch of grapefruit & pine up front. Juicy hops, a touch of passion fruit & lemon as this warms. Finishes crisp with a bit of light breadyness & a bit of peach & some signature biscuit malt

MF: Light/medium bodied, crisp carbonation, great balance

Damn, this drinks so easy, clearly one of the better hop forward beers I've had from New Belgium. Having said that I really dig (pun intended) Belgo too. Dig would be a nice summer time brew fat into the dog days. A top rung APA to me (722 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance: Nice copper/bronze color. Small tanish white head that leaves too fast but laces nicely. I would like to see more carbonation.

Smell: Fruity, peachy, mango, grapefruit.

Taste: I never had hops that tasted fruity and this good. I don't know what kind of hops is in this beer, but I love it. It's hard to distinguish the sweetness of the malt with the sweet hops taste.

Mouthfeel: Thick and frothy, nice tingle.

This is a high quality great tasting beer that can satisfy an IPA craving. The hops are way more fruitier and less piney than anything I've had before. I love this beer. (595 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

Out of the fridge and into a mug.

Appearance - Amber colored, frothy head, good lacing.

Smell - Definitely a nice aroma from the blend of hops... lemon and grapefruit are prominent, as the label promises.

Taste - Quite a hop presence, almost tastes like Goose Island IPA. Sweet malts hit the palette first, followed by the lemony hops. Very pleasant.

Mounthfeel - Smooth beer with a lingering hop bitterness.

Overall - Great seasonal. Glad I picked this up. (462 characters)

Poured from 12oz bottle into Half Acre pint glass

A- pours a wonderful dark yellow/orangish. 1 finger head that recedes as you drink.

S- Faint citrus lemon scent with a very slight hoppy bite

T- Wow, this is almost a perfect tasting APA. If I'd never had Zombie Dust this would be my favorite APA (for the record Zombie Dust is still WAY better than this). Light refreshing citrus taste with a malt backbone. Beuatiful

M- Light and bubbly, this beer gets me in the mood for some warmer weather

O- Phenominal spring Pale Ale, can see myself going through a case of this before NB moves on to the next seasonal (613 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours a hazy amber with a very white head that laces very stickily. Nose is almost like a mix of three distinct hoppy notes--citrusy, piney, and herbal--with some biscuity malt in the back. The taste is amazing, a big punch of lemony hops, a distinct malty middle, almost like a Saltine with some rye notes, and then a crisp, herbal finish. Mouthfeel is very complimentary, light and highly carbonated, but with enough body to let you ruminate a little bit.

I'd call this one of those seasonals you wish they would make year-round...but with New Belgium's lineup as it is, this one might not even bear mentioning. Good pickup this spring either way. (651 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12FL. OZ. bottle into a pint glass. Best by 19MAY13.

Appearance: Pours a thinnish light brown. Decent off white head. Carbonation is light.

Smell: Malty pale ale aroma with a wonderful tropical fruit aroma.

Taste: Well balanced flavor of lightly roasted (?) malts and specialty hops. Per the bottle, this pale ale is highlighted by Sorachi Ace and (my new favorite) Nelson Sauvin hops. Like NB Shift, the mango, lychee, honeydew flavor of the hops comes and goes with each sip. Sometimes I can detect the delicious flavors and sometimes it is more difficult.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thin, which allows the fruity hop flavors to shine through.

Overall: I bought this while seeking out new (and available bottled) versions of Nelson Sauvin-hopped beers and I am glad I did. Decent price for a case. (809 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours our a clear copper color with a massive fluffy head. Retention is nice as it settles down to a blanket of foam on top. Sticks to the glass as well.

The aroma is fragrant with floral and a hint of pine. Grapefruit, and sweet barley.

The flavor has everything you would want in an APA. A near perfect balance of sharp bitter hops and sweet barley. The pine notes from the hops linger a little with a dry finish.

Light bodied, mildly carbonated, and just refreshing.

Balance is the word for this Pale Ale. I must say the New Belgium Brewery has failed to disappoint me yet. They are damn good at this. I think I found a Pale Ale that is as delicious as Liberty Ale! (674 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

I got a bottle of New Belgium's Dig that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I am always down to try a beer from New Belgium and I am interested to see how this American Pale Ale stacks up against their Mighty Arrow Pale Ale, so lets see how it goes. Best buy date of May 20th 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks good and is pretty fitting for this spring seasonal. It poured a nice lighter amber color that took on a bright and slightly orange amber color when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and are very grainy, bready, and biscuity with slight caramel aroma. After that comes the hops which are pretty fruity, first they impart some nice citrus hop aromas with lemon rind sticking out the most, next comes the tropical fruits with mango sticking out the most. I really like the aroma of this beer, I liked the contrast between the biscuity malts and the fruity hops, it's nice and unique.

T- There is some nice balance in the flavor of this beer and it was similar to the aroma. It starts out with a good amount of medium sweet malts that impart some grainy, biscuity, and slight caramel flavor. Next up comes the hops which are nice and fruity, mostly citrus fruits show up at first with lemon rind still sticking out the most and some of those tropical fruits show up in the aftertaste with mango sticking out the most. It also had a nice amount of medium bitterness. I really liked the flavor of this beer, it had great balance and just the right amount of bitterness for a Pale Ale.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied and it had a nice amount of medium bitterness. The mouthfeel was good, it worked well with this beer.

I really liked this beer and I thought it was a really good example of an American Pale Ale. This beer had great balance and was very true to style, with just enough hops for the style. It had very good drinkability, it went down way faster then I expected, it was refreshing and crisp, it wasn't filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention. I would be perfectly fine with drinking a six pack throughout the day. What I liked most about this beer, was just about everything, with the balance being one of the highlights of this beer. What I liked least about this beer was the fact that I can't buy it in Michigan, if I could it might be one of my go to American Pale Ales. I would for sure buy this again if I was somewhere where New Belgium was sold, but since they aren't available in Michigan, I doubt I will be having it again any time soon. I recommend this beer to just about anyone and especially if you are a fan of American Pale Ales. New Belgium came though with one damn good American Pale that I really enjoyed, I just wish I could buy it at the store, good job guys you are one solid Brewing Company and with beers as good this you can be sure that I am more than willing to try more of your different brews. When Comparing this beer to their Mighty Arrow Pale Ale, this beer comes out on top in every aspect and that makes Dig a better American Pale Ale. (3,372 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

on-tap at Brixx, served in a tumbler.

Appearance is a golden/amber with a strong white head and a good amount of visible carbonation. Smell is fairly strong citrusy hops: mainly grapefruit but a hint of pineapple. Lots of aroma here, smells like an IPA. Taste is very mellow, pale malts with light but flavorful citrusy (grapefruit) hops to back it up. There is a nice light bitterness that is ultimately refreshing. Malt is excellent and very little alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with medium carbonation.

The smell of this beer was really more the smell of an IPA, or at least an extra pale ale, but the taste was far more chill with lots of malt and only light hops. Nice abv for the taste. Flavor might be a bit weak, but then again this is a pale ale and not an IPA. Very high drinkability, an awesome beer, I think it is better than Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. (885 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

This is a copper auburn colored brew. There’s a pleasing, hoppy aroma, with some zesty citrus notes and a dominant grassy smell. Flavor is big citrus (mostly orange with some lemony-grapefruit notes) with some hints of soft peach, followed by a nice finish. Not much of a malt profile to speak of, really, but with a brew this tasty and full flavored I’m not going to complain. I’ll certainly be picking up more of these. (427 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this is one of the best pale ales I've had, period.
A-Pours a clear deep golden color with a creamy white persistant head that leaves great lacing.
S-Man the smell is FULL of fresh lemon zest, hoppy fruit juice, and a hint of pine along with some slightly sweet caramel notes from the malts.
T-The flavor is full of the same lemon zest up front, with hop fruity juiciness and pine in the back with a mild sweetness from the malts.
M-The mouthfeel is kindof too dry for my liking in this style. It's medium bodied, very balanced with carbonation, hop bitterness and sweetness, but again finishes to dry imo.
O-A very very good beer for the springtime indeed. (666 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours an amber/copper with a bright white head that lasts a long time and leaves some of the best lacing I've ever seen for the style.

S-Hoppy, citrussy especially grapefruit.

T-Hoppy with grapefruit flavors leading the way and a small malt backbone. Fresh fruit flavors were present and truly delicious. One of the more hop forward and fruit pale ale's I've had. Not nearly as much malt as one would expect for the style.

M-fairly thick but not too heavy.

D-Great drinkability due to the great flavor and slightly above average abv.

Overall, I was very impressed with this beer. It tasted great and looked great as well. I highly recommend it. (651 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Here we have Dig, a "Spring Seasonal Pale Ale" which, to my understanding, will be replacing Mighty Arrow in New Belgium's lineup. I'm not really sure how or why a spring seasonal appeared mid-January in the single bottle section of my local store, but when I saw something I hadn't even heard of before, a purchase and a fair try wasn't a very hard decision to make.

The label states that Sorachi Ace, Nelson Sauvin, and Cascade hops are contained within. It also has a Best-by date stamp of May 13th 2012.

Aroma is a very heady mix of juicy red grapefruit blended with lemonade and a background structure of spicy/herbal hop aroma blended well, of appropriate mildness for the Pale Ale category. Biscuity malt scent is hard to pick up on until the brew has a chance to warm up somewhat. Has a transparent coppery amber color and a two finger soap detergent texture of a head with nickel-sized loops of lacing left behind with each sip. The taste starts out with a white pepper and Saaz-like crisp spiciness emphasis, than somehow manages to visit every kind of hopping flavor profile in rapid succession EXCEPT for tropical fruit and pine resin, all at an appropriately gentle level for a Pale Ale, and balanced with a bready malt. I'm impressed with the high level of flavor complexity considering how restrained and subtle it is. Texture is medium-light, well carbonated, zippy and crisp across the tongue. I'd recommend giving this one a try, it is one of the best APAs I've ever had. (1,491 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Great lacing.

S: A very fragrant, fruity aroma, with some traces of hops. Sweet and alluring.

T: Tasted of hops, a little malt, and a variety of fruit: Lemon, peach, mango, and some others. An extremely zesty and surprisingly complex flavor.

M: A well carbonated beer with a dry finish. Light-bodied.

O: While this beer seems almost more like a straight up IPA than an APA, it is sweet, smooth and easy to drink. (548 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

i am a whore for sorachi ace hops. ever since brooklyn's introduction, i sleeze for this hop profile. this one smells like tropical compost. decaying mangos, banannas, and citrus fruit. not like flies all over the shop, but just past ripe, really nectary. flavor is more lemony from the hops, bitter to a degree, but not an bitter bomb. this brew is extraordinary. super super drinkable with a lighter body and a crisp finish. one of my favorite new belgium beers. i could go on and on about this one and its food pairings, but ill just say, this is a must try! (561 characters)

Best by 13 May 2012.

Poured into a FFF shaped glass.

A: Poured a copper-orange color, crystal clear, and with a webby, sticky solid white head that stayed active throughout the session.

S: Lots of yummy aroma here: There was a huge floral bouquet component that was to die for, as well as a nice fruity and hoppy profile. The bit of pepper-like yeast was also a welcome surprise.

T: Once again, the floral and fruit in spades! Passion fruit, mango, lemon, pomegranate, and quite a hop sizzle! Not too overpowering or sugar... it was just right!

M: Fairly low carbonation-wise, but that actually worked in this setting so that I could get more of the complex fruit notes. The lacing was somewhat ridiculous.

O: This was at least 10x better than I was expecting and I totally welcome that. Also, at only 5.6%, I could easily pop a few of these. (848 characters)

Poured into a pint glass. Freshness date is listed as 29/07/12

Appearance is pretty much identical to their Fat Tire brew, except for the fact that it is cloudier looking, has far more carbonation, and a nice little head at the top that boosts its appearance in terms of pleasantness. Overall, looks like a good, inviting amber ale.

Different things are going for its aroma as well. A lot of spiciness, as expected, yet smooth fruity notes of oranges and peaches as well. Tamarind and toffee are two prevailing aromas, and there's the all-familiar honey scent of usually more hopped beers. Malts are way in the back, as is the alcohol, and it's truly the yeast and spices that shine here.

Upon several sips, I hereby declare this to be by far the most balanced ale that New Belgium Brewing has ever released. There's hardly any maltiness at all, despite it being thick in feel and barley-tinged in flavor, and there are delicate, yet not too overpowering hoppy and spicy flavors that remain on the palate. The Nelson Sauvin hops are a great addition. There are refreshing floral notes at the back of the mouth with slight ginger spices, and every gulp ends with a nice alcohol warming sensation. This is a ridiculously pleasant beer to drink, and I think this could appeal to pretty much any craft beer fan.

It' not a showy beer, but it doesn't have any reason to be. It's refreshing and balanced, and remains a good quality product. I really hope that this isn't a seasonal beer, as it's fantastic. If it remains as such, I'll be looking forward to getting some around this time of the year. (1,597 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Never heard of this beer but know NB is changing their seasonal selection so when I saw it on the shelf I bought it. The information on the label looked good, as detailed in the first review. I also think January is an odd time for Spring Seasonal but I'll take it!

Poured from bottled with best by date of May 13, 2012 to a pint glass. Pours a strong clear yellow amber red color. Nice 2 finger white head with good lacing and retention. Very pleasant nose consisting of grapefruit, lemons. Nice citrus hop aroma blended well. Not much malt character in the nose. The flavor starts off with a spicy pepper flavor and is quite crisp however almost immediatley transitions to a nice citrus hop flavor with mild bitterness. Tastes just like is smelled, very nice. Lighter end of medium bodied. Crisp. Very easy to drink.

This was a pleasant surprise indeed! One of the better NB brews I've enjoyed in a while, good stuff! (921 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo.
Brewed with pale and C80 malts. Hopped with Target, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade, Nugget, and Sorachi Ace. 5.6% ABV, 36 IBUs, 168kcal/12oz.

Pours out to a beautifully sparkling brownish amber, forming a mousse-like whipped and frothy white head with excellent retention owing in part to it's brisk carbonation, ~3.0 carbs or so. Great looking beer. The nose opens with toasty and grainy malt, followed by spicy and herbal hops with plenty of character, very subtle sulfur, no DMS or diacetyl. Mouthfeel is clean with a light body and a very dry finish. The taste is all about the hops..plenty of spicy and herbal character with just a touch of pine balanced by the toasty and grainy malt. The pale malt really shines here. No perceptible off-flavors. Alcohol is not noticeable. Bitterness is medium and well balanced.

An excellent example of the style. I do tend to like my pale ales with more fruit esters, but if you like the west coast style hoppy IPAs but want something lighter, this will definitely fit the bill. Recommended. (1,060 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

New Belgium Dig Pale Ale has a thick, creamy, white head and a clear, bubbly, amber appearance, with nice lacing left behind. The aroma is of citrus, hop oil, sugar, and white bread. Taste is of those, with some pleasant and mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is watery and slick, and New Belgium Dig finishes semi-dry, refreshing, and quite drinkable. Overall, this one is very nice, and I score it fairly high.

RJT (409 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +14%

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium Globe Glass

A - Pours a hazy orange-copper with a dense, fluffy white head that settles to a thick cap, leaving behind tons of streaky lacing as it recedes.
S - Such a nose! Phenomenal aromas of tropical mango, passion fruit, and papaya with a solid dose of lemony Sorachi Ace hops and a moderately sweet caramel malt profile.
T - More tropical hop flavors of peach and papaya with a solid caramel malt backbone and a long-lingering lemon pith finish.
M - Refreshing and quite drinkable, with a medium body and good carbonation.
O - Overall a perfect Springtime brew, clean, delicious, and fresh! (635 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

Had this on the New Belgium tour at the brewery. Probably their best Seasonal beer yet. Made with Sorachi Ace, Cascade, and Nelson Sauvin hops.

Appearance: Brilliant amber, moderate white head of small bubbles remains and provides lacing.

Aroma: some malt, moderate lemon juice (not peel), and light tropical fruit with gooseberry

Taste: light malty, big hop flavors including lemon and mango, very slight sweetness (not bone dry),

Mouthfeel: moderately light body, creamy and crisp with a slight carbonic bite. Very light alcohol warmth.

Overall: a crisp, fruity, very refreshing lighter bodied beer with a nice balance of malt to match the Japanese/USA/New Zealand combination of hops. (692 characters)

Dig from New Belgium Brewing