Dig - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: WastingFreetime on 01-16-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dig Alström Bros
firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 234 | Hads: 1,070
3.46/5  rDev -6%

Poured into New Belgium Globe

A - About a one finger off-white head which quickly drops. Moderate lacing remains. Body is a little darker than I was expecting. A rich amber color that borders on the orange side.

S - Cloves, sweet artificial berry scent - strawberry. Then I get some soft hops that make this quite complex.

T - Matches the aroma pretty well. Starts with sweet berries. It is a little cloyey. Hops are strong on the back-but not overpowering. They are a bit harsh but a nice addition to this beer.

M - Very well carbonated which makes this a refreshing beer. A nice light body fits well.

O - It is fresh and spring-like so Dig will make a great seasonal. A little cold out right now but I can envision myself sitting out on my back porch after a day of work sipping on this and watching my garden grow.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

appearance - 4.5/5 - Pours with a nice head. It's a beautiful clear orange/light brown color. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

smell - 4/5 - Smells of lemony grass and subtle hops.

taste - 3.5/5 - You get a clear hops flavor with lemongrass and earthiness. Lots of grapefruit (the grapefruit puts me off a bit).

mouthfeel - 4/5 - Light/Medium body. A little on the heavy carbonation. Hops linger in the mouth with both the lemongrass & grapefruit flavor.

overall - 4/5 - Tettering here. I think the grapefruit flavor is a bit much, but it's very refreshing which is what it aims to be. I will enjoy this as a light alternative to double IPAs and Belgian beers.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

from a 12 0z bottle with a BB by 052012

A- pours a light copper orange color with a nice fresh white head and good lacing

S- was lemon grass and tropical fruits with light baked bread

T- was better it starts with a light touch of lemon mixed in was grapefruit and tropical hops like mango and papaya finishes with a kiss of sweet malts

M- was crisp and pure light on the palate but bursts with the above mentioned tastes

O- tasty and drinkable i like this one like i enjoy hoptober in the fall this is a winner for NB, will drink more this winter and enjoy it even more this spring

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Best before May 20, 2012, this just hit town.

It pours a gorgeous 24K gold with a 2 finger head of foam and the usual excellence with the lacing.

The smell is nicely hoppy with very nice notes of lemon and tropical fruit.

The taste is lemony, lighter with the tropical fruit than the smell insinuated but still noticeable. I'm starting to pick out some apricot and more as the beer warms. Grapefruit steps in. I usually drink my beers closer to cellar temps but I'm thirsty. ;^)

Medium describes both the body and carbonation and that fits this beer very well. The finish is quite crisp and dry.

A well crafted brew here, me thinks.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Can't tell you why I'm so jazzed to try out the new New Belgium seasonal, but I kinda am... It pours a clear amber topped by a finger of cream-white foam. Something about this beer strikes me as unusually good-looking. The nose comprises sparkling lemon zest, light peach, light caramel, and a touch of minty pine needle. If some of these were a bit stronger, this would smell damn pleasant; as it is, it ain't close to bad. The taste halts the love train, bringing notes of orange peel, grapefruit rind (in both cases, the white part only, along with a lick of the unwashed outside), light caramel, light pine resin, and bitter, chlorophyll-laden grass. I'm gonna assume the Sorachi hops ruined things, as usual, but it's not normally like this when they do, what with the sharp bitterness and all... I got nothin'. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, a nice-looking and -smelling beer, but one that falls apart in the flavor department. Still, it could be a lot worse, and I wouldn't necessarily turn down a free bottle of this in the future...

4.32/5  rDev +17.4%

i am a whore for sorachi ace hops. ever since brooklyn's introduction, i sleeze for this hop profile. this one smells like tropical compost. decaying mangos, banannas, and citrus fruit. not like flies all over the shop, but just past ripe, really nectary. flavor is more lemony from the hops, bitter to a degree, but not an bitter bomb. this brew is extraordinary. super super drinkable with a lighter body and a crisp finish. one of my favorite new belgium beers. i could go on and on about this one and its food pairings, but ill just say, this is a must try!

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Never heard of this beer but know NB is changing their seasonal selection so when I saw it on the shelf I bought it. The information on the label looked good, as detailed in the first review. I also think January is an odd time for Spring Seasonal but I'll take it!

Poured from bottled with best by date of May 13, 2012 to a pint glass. Pours a strong clear yellow amber red color. Nice 2 finger white head with good lacing and retention. Very pleasant nose consisting of grapefruit, lemons. Nice citrus hop aroma blended well. Not much malt character in the nose. The flavor starts off with a spicy pepper flavor and is quite crisp however almost immediatley transitions to a nice citrus hop flavor with mild bitterness. Tastes just like is smelled, very nice. Lighter end of medium bodied. Crisp. Very easy to drink.

This was a pleasant surprise indeed! One of the better NB brews I've enjoyed in a while, good stuff!

3.76/5  rDev +2.2%

I would like to welcome Dig to the New Belgium rotation. I was skeptical at first, as I was rather upset when 2below got retired for a lesser beer in Snow Day. However, a new spring ale shows up in January, and it warrants a taste. Here goes.

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass, as that is the only clean piece of glassware in my apartment. Color is a rich, dark golden red. Picture autumn. That tastes like spring.

Taste has a great base of hops and cirtus, with VERY subtle hints of coffee and the slight bitterness of dirt.

Mouthfeel is great, with carbonation and drinkability. Average for a pale ale, but impressive nonetheless.

Overall, with good taste and good drinkability, i'll buy it again. Can't say I won't miss Mighty Arrow though.

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

Here we have Dig, a "Spring Seasonal Pale Ale" which, to my understanding, will be replacing Mighty Arrow in New Belgium's lineup. I'm not really sure how or why a spring seasonal appeared mid-January in the single bottle section of my local store, but when I saw something I hadn't even heard of before, a purchase and a fair try wasn't a very hard decision to make.

The label states that Sorachi Ace, Nelson Sauvin, and Cascade hops are contained within. It also has a Best-by date stamp of May 13th 2012.

Aroma is a very heady mix of juicy red grapefruit blended with lemonade and a background structure of spicy/herbal hop aroma blended well, of appropriate mildness for the Pale Ale category. Biscuity malt scent is hard to pick up on until the brew has a chance to warm up somewhat. Has a transparent coppery amber color and a two finger soap detergent texture of a head with nickel-sized loops of lacing left behind with each sip. The taste starts out with a white pepper and Saaz-like crisp spiciness emphasis, than somehow manages to visit every kind of hopping flavor profile in rapid succession EXCEPT for tropical fruit and pine resin, all at an appropriately gentle level for a Pale Ale, and balanced with a bready malt. I'm impressed with the high level of flavor complexity considering how restrained and subtle it is. Texture is medium-light, well carbonated, zippy and crisp across the tongue. I'd recommend giving this one a try, it is one of the best APAs I've ever had.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last