Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa MoléLips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé Alström Bros

Jenjan, Nov 29, 2012

MarkyMOD, Apr 05, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Serving Type: 22oz bottle

A: Beautiful rich mahogany brown

S: Probably the best thing about this beer. Smells absolutely delicious like cinnamon and vanilla.

T: Tastes like cinnamon up front and afterwords has a hint of the peppers. Hides the high ABV quite well.

M: Smooth, yet slightly acidic with a little burn to it.

O: One of my new favorite beers I enjoyed it with some smoked salmon and was perfect together.

craig220, Apr 16, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

This is an opaque dark red when you hold it up to the light rather than dark brown as I was expecting. It produced very little white foam, which lingered around the edges of the pint glass leaving the middle hollow, vacant.

Smelled like cinnamon sticks. I tasted no alcohol even though the brew is 9%. This definitely tastes like Mexican hot chocolate due to the presence of cinnamon on the palate. I do not think it tasted like mole, per se, but I can see how there is a connection (many Mexican chocolate stores in Oaxaca also produce mole). I did not notice the chile until I had been drinking for a few minutes when I felt the faint, yet pleasant, chile burn in my throat. It was a little numbing, like a pain killer.

I enjoyed this. It was unusual and complex. It had a chocolate flavor different than what may be found in a stout, and in that sense the brewers took creativity to a new level.

This was not just a beer, it was an experience.

I’ll have another.

XicanoBeerRun, Mar 14, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger and grab a bottle off the shelf. But, when I saw it on tap tonight at Mekong in Richmond, VA, I knew I had to give it a shot. And I was not disappointed.

A- Very dark pour with no head.

S- Nice sweet smell with hints of cinnamon and chocolate. I can tell this one is going to be sweet.

T- So much complexity in this beer. I let my girlfriend taste it and watched her face go through at least 5 different expressions after she tasted it, so I knew it would be good. Hit me with a cocoa flavor at first with a hint of cinnamon. Sweet, but in a good way, and then a lingering spicy finish. Reminds me of a mexican chocolate.

M- Very smooth with a little bit of a tingling at the end as a result of the spiciness.

O- I was very satisfied with this beer and could easily see it becoming one of my favorites. Sweet, but not too sweet, and a nice spicy tingly finish. Oh, it's 9% ABV? who knew!

jayfro70, May 05, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing is my favorite beer. It was my first encounter with a Cocoa flavored beer, but it remains the best I've yet tried.

The beer doesn't look that great, and when I tell my friends how much I love it they doubt me when they first take a look at it.

But if you like the taste of Molé, this beer rocks it. I think that my loving Molé in Mexican food heavily influences why I love this beer.

If you really like Molé, you should really enjoy this beer.

mattdruid, Dec 11, 2012

ShawneeIrish, Mar 03, 2013

somnus, Mar 18, 2013

beerFool28607, Apr 14, 2012

donquixote, Jul 27, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
9% ABV, Bottled on 12/21/2011

A - Nearing the bordering of blackness, Cocoa Molé is a deep Spanish oak in color that's topped, briefly, by a light khaki head. Thin, wispy lace decorates the glass.

S - Immediately unique, Cocoa Molé offers a menagerie of spices blended together very nicely. I can only pick out cinnamon from the mass. Dry cocoa compliments as dense caramel malt backs it all up. A swirl brings out hints of warming alcohol and spicy chilies. Hints of molasses peek out following a swirl.

T - Deep and complex, Cocoa Molé starts with inviting milk chocolate and caramel malt flavors that slowly shift to a dry cocoa and one-of-a-kind spice blend driven by cinnamon. The icing on the cake is the lingering chipotle pepper heat on the finish that balances the unique flavor of this beer without flaw.

M - Cocoa Molé has a tempting velvet smooth and soft opening that effortlessly and seamlessly transforms to a dry, spicy heat. At first I wanted a little more spice heat to it, then quickly changed my tune, reassuring myself the balance of this beer is perfect.

O - New Belgium has created one of the most unique and memorable beers I've had in quite a while. Cocoa Molé captures the essence of "chili beer" almost perfectly. There isn't much, if anything at all, I'd change about this beer. From it's adorable sugar skulls through the completely hidden alcohol punch and sneaky spice heat to the smooth, supple chocolaty body, Cocoa Molé is a dangerously drinkable beer capable of incapacitating the burliest of men.

BeerFMAndy, Feb 17, 2012