Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé Alström Bros

Chocolate-forward. Big caramel flavor and sweetness. Light cinnamon notes. Spicy on the finish. The burn lingers in the back of the throat. Wonderful Chile Beer with a solid Porter baseline.

Fellow Aadvocates seem to have a misconception of this beer. New Belgium states that it is a "Spiced Chocolate Porter". THIS IS NOT CONSIDERED A STOUT.

Helpful Tips:
1)Research style guidelines, Porters & Stouts specifically, and then research the differences.
2)Research Ales vs Lagers.

4.92/5  rDev +23.3%

Serving Type: 22oz bottle

A: Beautiful rich mahogany brown

S: Probably the best thing about this beer. Smells absolutely delicious like cinnamon and vanilla.

T: Tastes like cinnamon up front and afterwords has a hint of the peppers. Hides the high ABV quite well.

M: Smooth, yet slightly acidic with a little burn to it.

O: One of my new favorite beers I enjoyed it with some smoked salmon and was perfect together.

4.87/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another Lips of Faith winner!! Beautiful dark color with a cinnamon pepper smell smell. Lots of south of the border chocolate taste up front that lingers and eventually turns into a slow burn of pepper. Absolutely amazing!!

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

This is an opaque dark red when you hold it up to the light rather than dark brown as I was expecting. It produced very little white foam, which lingered around the edges of the pint glass leaving the middle hollow, vacant.

Smelled like cinnamon sticks. I tasted no alcohol even though the brew is 9%. This definitely tastes like Mexican hot chocolate due to the presence of cinnamon on the palate. I do not think it tasted like mole, per se, but I can see how there is a connection (many Mexican chocolate stores in Oaxaca also produce mole). I did not notice the chile until I had been drinking for a few minutes when I felt the faint, yet pleasant, chile burn in my throat. It was a little numbing, like a pain killer.

I enjoyed this. It was unusual and complex. It had a chocolate flavor different than what may be found in a stout, and in that sense the brewers took creativity to a new level.

This was not just a beer, it was an experience.

I’ll have another.

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at Hops on Birch in Flagstaff, AZ. Pours nearly black with a small head that fades into medium lacing. I spent quite a bit of time looking at this beer before tasting it because it looked so damn beautiful. Smelled of cocoa obviously as well as upfront chile notes as well as minimal roasted malts and hops. Taste was AMAZING. Chocolate flavor, chile flavor, and some coffee notes as well. The spices added to the beer made my lips burn but in a good way. I had to drink this one slowly because of how delicious it was. The feel was on the smoother side with a bit of an acidic bite but that didn't detract from the greatness. Overall this is the best beer I've ever had by New Belgium. I highly recommend it.

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger and grab a bottle off the shelf. But, when I saw it on tap tonight at Mekong in Richmond, VA, I knew I had to give it a shot. And I was not disappointed.

A- Very dark pour with no head.

S- Nice sweet smell with hints of cinnamon and chocolate. I can tell this one is going to be sweet.

T- So much complexity in this beer. I let my girlfriend taste it and watched her face go through at least 5 different expressions after she tasted it, so I knew it would be good. Hit me with a cocoa flavor at first with a hint of cinnamon. Sweet, but in a good way, and then a lingering spicy finish. Reminds me of a mexican chocolate.

M- Very smooth with a little bit of a tingling at the end as a result of the spiciness.

O- I was very satisfied with this beer and could easily see it becoming one of my favorites. Sweet, but not too sweet, and a nice spicy tingly finish. Oh, it's 9% ABV? who knew!

4.78/5  rDev +19.8%

Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing is my favorite beer. It was my first encounter with a Cocoa flavored beer, but it remains the best I've yet tried.

The beer doesn't look that great, and when I tell my friends how much I love it they doubt me when they first take a look at it.

But if you like the taste of Molé, this beer rocks it. I think that my loving Molé in Mexican food heavily influences why I love this beer.

If you really like Molé, you should really enjoy this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful flavor, the spiciness is only felt on the back of the throat about 2 seconds after swallowing and it's not overpowering at all. Incredible achievement for this style.

4.75/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2015 release drank in Feb 2015. Sweet then spicy. I'm a sucker for peppery or smoky porters, Mexican food and spicy foods, so that is part of my affinity. Very smooth and as good as I remember it from the last release a few years ago.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
9% ABV, Bottled on 12/21/2011

A - Nearing the bordering of blackness, Cocoa Molé is a deep Spanish oak in color that's topped, briefly, by a light khaki head. Thin, wispy lace decorates the glass.

S - Immediately unique, Cocoa Molé offers a menagerie of spices blended together very nicely. I can only pick out cinnamon from the mass. Dry cocoa compliments as dense caramel malt backs it all up. A swirl brings out hints of warming alcohol and spicy chilies. Hints of molasses peek out following a swirl.

T - Deep and complex, Cocoa Molé starts with inviting milk chocolate and caramel malt flavors that slowly shift to a dry cocoa and one-of-a-kind spice blend driven by cinnamon. The icing on the cake is the lingering chipotle pepper heat on the finish that balances the unique flavor of this beer without flaw.

M - Cocoa Molé has a tempting velvet smooth and soft opening that effortlessly and seamlessly transforms to a dry, spicy heat. At first I wanted a little more spice heat to it, then quickly changed my tune, reassuring myself the balance of this beer is perfect.

O - New Belgium has created one of the most unique and memorable beers I've had in quite a while. Cocoa Molé captures the essence of "chili beer" almost perfectly. There isn't much, if anything at all, I'd change about this beer. From it's adorable sugar skulls through the completely hidden alcohol punch and sneaky spice heat to the smooth, supple chocolaty body, Cocoa Molé is a dangerously drinkable beer capable of incapacitating the burliest of men.

4.71/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into wine glass. No head whatsoever. Black color with a slight cola appearance. Smell was fantastic - dark chocolate, cinnamon, and white pepper. Taste was incredible and rich. Basically tasted like quality ibarra - bitter and sweet with a kick of spice (cinnamon, paprika, white pepper, ancho) towards the finish. Body was well carbonated, and the spice left a noticeable heat over time. Overall, a fascinating beer with flavors and characteristics that surprisingly work tremendously well together in this dark beer.

4.69/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I only had a few sips of my husband's glass of Cocoa Mole beer, and I became instantly jealous that I hadn't ordered one either. It made my champagne cocktail just seem meh.

I've had other mole beers or chocolate-pepper beers, but this particular one has to be the best I've had. The cocoa flavor is dominant without being harsh or too malty. Then on the back end, you get a little bit of heat. But the beer is very smooth on the palate. As it warmed up, I started to taste some fruitier flavors - currants and raisins. The next time I see this beer on draft, I'm definitely going to get my own glass.

4.69/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I may be biased in this review. I had this brew GABF week in 2012 in NB's private tasting room. They served it with fresh, locally made Belgian waffles. (yes, the perfect pairing!) I got to meet many of their Brewers and spent most of a Friday sampling oddities along with Felix and Oscar from their oak foeders. The new release is still great! It pours a dark brown with red highlights. Great medium brown lacing. The aroma is chocolate, cinnamon, smoke and malt. The taste is very balanced and dry with a hint of vanilla. Very little heat. The chipotle peppers contribute smoke and the cinnamon punches up the round maltiness. Mouth feel is perfect, between a dry and oatmeal stout. There is a bread-like character to this beer. However, it doesn't scream Fat Tire yeast like some of their other brews like Ranger ect. Very little hop character. Bitterness seems to come more from the cinnamon than the hops. But my guess is it's hopped with low alpha english hops. The beer was out of production for several years. It tastes as good as I remember. I highly recommend it. I've attempted to recreate it on a home brew scale, but I always miss it slightly! Thank you, New Belgium, for bringing it back!

4.67/5  rDev +17%

22 oz. bottle. Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Smallish biege head when poured vigorously into the glass. No lacing. Clear brown with ruby highlights when backlit.

Aroma of cinnamon and spicy chilies with cocoa and chocolate malt.

Taste is rum raisin with caramel and sweet chocolate. Cinnamon is assertive but not overdone. Sweet but countered by the chili heat and dark fruit. Complex brew that paired well with spicy fish tacos and beans.

Mouthfeel is smooth with medium body.

I was surprised to find that chili beers are a great change of pace. My favorite Mexican dish is chicken mole enchiladas so I really enjoyed this one. Hotter than Samual Adams chili bock but not nearly as hot as Sigda's from Coopersmiths. New Belgium concocted a recipe that incorporates a traditional Mexican flavor into an awesome ale. Well done!

4.67/5  rDev +17%

Presently, this is the #1 Chile Beer here on BA by a country mile. As a matter of fact, I don't see any catching up to it for a long time.

Served in a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: This poured much darker than I was expecting: Imagine the darkest, burnt brown you can imagine without the beer being black. The head started out at about a finger, but then settled into a bunch of mocha colored clumps.

S: Wow.... This is VERY different!: Sort of a cross between spiced pulled pork and cinnamon apples. Have you ever been to IKEA? You know that distinct smell of furniture and Swedish snack bar, right? That is this brew in a nutshell.

T: I still got cinnamon apples, wood, cocoa, and more Mexican weirdness. The aftertaste I got more pine wood than anything. Still, the IKEA comparison is absolutely the perfect one to my mind. Maybe instead of pork (like I got on the nose), the brewer(s) at New Belgium were actually thinking Swedish meatballs. lol

M: I just burped a moment ago and it actually burned my throat. This brew is also spicy in the "hot" sense, which makes it multidimensional to my mind. The lacing was substantial and the cinnamon apple component lingered in a rather divine way.

O: This was one of the most memorable beers I've tasted in the last year or so. No flaws and not a trace of booze detected. I WILL try this beer again in the future... many more times.

4.66/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The bar I was at didn't have the best lighting, but it looked pretty dark with tannish head. Pretty good lacing going on as well.

S: A LOT of spicy cinnamon nutmeg going on here. Definitely picked up on the chocolate and some cacao. Good toast from the malts and a bit of carmel. Nice wood/smoke when settled.

T: Basically everything in the nose but a little bit of the wood/smoke is more present, but in a great balance.

M: Medium-full bodied. Very nice level of carbonation. Finish stays pretty much the same as you get in in the taste.

O: A great beer. I'll definitely be going back for more.

4.63/5  rDev +16%

On-tap at Taste of Tops in Tempe, AZ.

A: Dark brown in the glass but a beautiful deep, brownish red when held up to light. A bit of lace and a bubbly ring of white foam around the edge. Foamy, quickly-fading off-white head when swirled around the glass.

S: Lightly roasted malt, cinnamon, fruity-holiday spice, chocolate. Awesome.

T: Fantastically unique. Fruity, malty, spicy. Complex yet simply delicious. Great stuff.

M: Smooth with tons of flavor. Easy to drink. Leaves a pleasant taste on the palate. No alcohol presence whatsoever.

O: An amazing beer. Great cold straight out of the tap or warm after some time sitting. The hype is real on this one. Easily the best Chile Beer I've had although it seems to fall into another style. New Belgium really knows how to brew these "Lips of Faith" beers. I would without hesitation order this again.

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Dark, coppery brown; black tea.

S: Heavy cinnamon, faint chocolate.

T: An initial cinnamon kick with a wash of chocolate. The heat from the chilies builds gradually and then suddenly dissipates, leaving behind a chocolate stout aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, characteristic of a brown ale.

O: The creativity works for this one. This is what I had expected from Dogfish Head's Theobroma. Where Dogfish Head approximated a recipe analyzed from clay pots, New Belgium instead delivered what may have been the common ideal of a beer brewed with cocoa, chillies, and other assorted spices. Nicely done; certainly worth revisiting.

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First Review on BA so here goes...

Bought a 22 oz bottle from a local liquor store in Nashville, poured into my Jolly Pumpkin snifter after refrigerating overnight. Best served by Jan 2017 on bottle, poured Aug 14th.

Awesome looking bottle, as well as idea for a beer. Foamy, creme colored head poured over the darker, amber colored porter. There's definitely a slight kick from the peppers, but it mixes well with the cocoa and reminds me a bit of a South American Guinness.

It smells great, strong and not anything like a lighter, cheaper ale. Feels like Cinco de Mayo with every sip. It was $11 for the 22oz bottle, so I probably won't be buying another bottle anytime soon, but it was definitely worth the experience. Cheers!

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer is completely wicked. There's a light pepper spice with a minimal warming sensation along with light chocolate and more prenounced cinnamon notes. An excellent sipper beer to be enjoyed slowly. The smell is wonderful too. I really hope this beer comes back one day.

4.59/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer as it combined some heat with some cocoa and cinnamon. Everything works in this experiment as the heat backed the stout like beer and the spices added some sweetness. The Mexican flavour aspect is unique and very cool. I would love to get a bottle and pair it with some Mexican food.

4.57/5  rDev +14.5%

Bottled 02/26/12

A: A nice dark amber/brown pour. Good-sized soda-like tan head. Very fizzy, fades fairly quickly. No real sign of lacing, maybe a dot here and there at best.

S: A bunch of cinnamon with some cocoa mixed in. A touch of vegetal chile pepper but barely there. There is however, some discernible heat from the chiles.

T: Up front there is some chile pepper flavor with some caramel. Turns into cinnamon and then the chile heat joins it. Cocoa strong in the middle but strongest in the finish where it almost stands alone briefly. Nice strong bite from the chile peppers in the middle and through the finish, but nothing obnoxious or overpowering. Goes quite nicely with the bitter cocoa and sweet caramel in fact. A bit of smoky heat lingers between sips (chipotle?). This is unbelievably good.

M: Medium bodied, decent carbonation seems to heighten the chile heat a bit.

O: This is one hell of a chile beer. Great combination of chile heat, bitter cocoa and caramel to sweeten it all up. Very drinkable and well balanced. Easily the best crafted chile beer I've had. By a long shot.

Melbourne Bros. Stemmed Tulip
Tasted side by side with Chocolate Sombrero

A ~ Pours translucent cocoa brown with a red hue to it. Thin white head fizzles away quickly. We shined an LED through the beer & it a great Red color, with the light passing through, while chocolate sombrero was Opaque, & more of a mud color.

S ~ Cocoa Powder with an Oatmeal-like backbone...Cinnamon whispers through. Authentic Cocoa scents. Hints of Chile deep in the Nostrils.

T ~ Raw Cocoa, Cinnamon & Bold Chipotle smokiness with a lingering Guajillo & Ancho spiciness. Cinnamon reappears on the finish with slightly sweeter Chocolate notes.

M ~ No booze heat for the ABV. Tingly & Spicy with such a smooth & elegant expression of Chile peppers. Every Chile plays a note here, & you can really feel it on the palette.

D ~ Well Done! This really is one of the best Chile beers I have ever had. The expression of Chiles melds so well with the Cocoa & parallels the light cinnamon notes. Highly recommend. This outshined Chocolate Sombrero, & Clown Shoes is one of my favorite breweries.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

22 oz bottle purchased while in Denver back in February. Poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A darkish reddish brown with about a 1 finger head with larger off white bubbles. Even leaves a solid sheet of lace as I drink the beer down.

Smell: I said, "Ohh, that smells just like mole sauce from Red Iguana." My wife, who does not like beer at all, said, "It smells less like fizzy dirty water." Especially after it sits for a few minutes, the smell intensifies a little. Nailed it.

Taste: This has got to be one of the most original beers I have ever had. This one reminds me so much of mole negro sauce from the Mexican place near our home. It starts out with the cocoa, followed by some spices and then a little heat. The "burn" goes all the down the throat. The alcohol is well hidden for a 9.0 ABV beer. I cannot give it a five because I would not want to drink this everyday, but New Belgium really nailed this beer. Kudos for experimenting!

Mouthfeel: Body and carbonation are fine. Finish is long but not overwhelming.

Overall: A very tasty experiment. I really enjoyed this beer and will look for it again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A – Pours a deep ruby brown with sand colored two finger head of small bubbles, which fades quickly. Lacing is epic, completely ringing the glass with each sip taken.

S – Wow. Strong aroma. Getting Baker’s chocolate, cinnamon, chiles. This literally smells like a good mole sauce that I get at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Nice.

T – Follows the nose almost precisely. Chocolate flavor is more of the “semi-sweet cocoa” variety. Mild to medium heat from the chiles, especially after about half the bottle or so. Cinnamon flavor also stands out. Hints of black pepper, and pine nuts. Lurking underneath all this is just enough bitterness to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Finishes with lingering heat and mild alcohol burn. Overall flavor profile is rich. Tasty.

M – Big and chewy. Mild carbonation, which works well since there’s already so much tingling on the tongue already.

O – This beer truly delivers what’s advertised; a mole infused beer. Milder chocolate and more chile heat than other “chocolate chili beers” that seem all the rage lately. For those not familiar with mole, this one may be a little brash and “hot”. For those who enjoy mole like myself, I would say you might find this beer a treat. I’m getting this again.

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing