2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa MoléLips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé Alström Bros
Ratings: 605 | Reviews: 203 | Show All Ratings:
craig220

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Serving Type: 22oz bottle

A: Beautiful rich mahogany brown

S: Probably the best thing about this beer. Smells absolutely delicious like cinnamon and vanilla.

T: Tastes like cinnamon up front and afterwords has a hint of the peppers. Hides the high ABV quite well.

M: Smooth, yet slightly acidic with a little burn to it.

O: One of my new favorite beers I enjoyed it with some smoked salmon and was perfect together.

04-16-2012 00:14:39 | More by craig220
XicanoBeerRun

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

This is an opaque dark red when you hold it up to the light rather than dark brown as I was expecting. It produced very little white foam, which lingered around the edges of the pint glass leaving the middle hollow, vacant.

Smelled like cinnamon sticks. I tasted no alcohol even though the brew is 9%. This definitely tastes like Mexican hot chocolate due to the presence of cinnamon on the palate. I do not think it tasted like mole, per se, but I can see how there is a connection (many Mexican chocolate stores in Oaxaca also produce mole). I did not notice the chile until I had been drinking for a few minutes when I felt the faint, yet pleasant, chile burn in my throat. It was a little numbing, like a pain killer.

I enjoyed this. It was unusual and complex. It had a chocolate flavor different than what may be found in a stout, and in that sense the brewers took creativity to a new level.

This was not just a beer, it was an experience.

I’ll have another.

03-14-2012 17:52:49 | More by XicanoBeerRun
jayfro70

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger and grab a bottle off the shelf. But, when I saw it on tap tonight at Mekong in Richmond, VA, I knew I had to give it a shot. And I was not disappointed.

A- Very dark pour with no head.

S- Nice sweet smell with hints of cinnamon and chocolate. I can tell this one is going to be sweet.

T- So much complexity in this beer. I let my girlfriend taste it and watched her face go through at least 5 different expressions after she tasted it, so I knew it would be good. Hit me with a cocoa flavor at first with a hint of cinnamon. Sweet, but in a good way, and then a lingering spicy finish. Reminds me of a mexican chocolate.

M- Very smooth with a little bit of a tingling at the end as a result of the spiciness.

O- I was very satisfied with this beer and could easily see it becoming one of my favorites. Sweet, but not too sweet, and a nice spicy tingly finish. Oh, it's 9% ABV? who knew!

05-05-2012 03:15:42 | More by jayfro70
mattdruid

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing is my favorite beer. It was my first encounter with a Cocoa flavored beer, but it remains the best I've yet tried.

The beer doesn't look that great, and when I tell my friends how much I love it they doubt me when they first take a look at it.

But if you like the taste of Molé, this beer rocks it. I think that my loving Molé in Mexican food heavily influences why I love this beer.

If you really like Molé, you should really enjoy this beer.

12-11-2012 00:03:13 | More by mattdruid
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
9% ABV, Bottled on 12/21/2011

A - Nearing the bordering of blackness, Cocoa Molé is a deep Spanish oak in color that's topped, briefly, by a light khaki head. Thin, wispy lace decorates the glass.

S - Immediately unique, Cocoa Molé offers a menagerie of spices blended together very nicely. I can only pick out cinnamon from the mass. Dry cocoa compliments as dense caramel malt backs it all up. A swirl brings out hints of warming alcohol and spicy chilies. Hints of molasses peek out following a swirl.

T - Deep and complex, Cocoa Molé starts with inviting milk chocolate and caramel malt flavors that slowly shift to a dry cocoa and one-of-a-kind spice blend driven by cinnamon. The icing on the cake is the lingering chipotle pepper heat on the finish that balances the unique flavor of this beer without flaw.

M - Cocoa Molé has a tempting velvet smooth and soft opening that effortlessly and seamlessly transforms to a dry, spicy heat. At first I wanted a little more spice heat to it, then quickly changed my tune, reassuring myself the balance of this beer is perfect.

O - New Belgium has created one of the most unique and memorable beers I've had in quite a while. Cocoa Molé captures the essence of "chili beer" almost perfectly. There isn't much, if anything at all, I'd change about this beer. From it's adorable sugar skulls through the completely hidden alcohol punch and sneaky spice heat to the smooth, supple chocolaty body, Cocoa Molé is a dangerously drinkable beer capable of incapacitating the burliest of men.

02-17-2012 03:22:24 | More by BeerFMAndy
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%

Presently, this is the #1 Chile Beer here on BA by a country mile. As a matter of fact, I don't see any catching up to it for a long time.

Served in a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: This poured much darker than I was expecting: Imagine the darkest, burnt brown you can imagine without the beer being black. The head started out at about a finger, but then settled into a bunch of mocha colored clumps.

S: Wow.... This is VERY different!: Sort of a cross between spiced pulled pork and cinnamon apples. Have you ever been to IKEA? You know that distinct smell of furniture and Swedish snack bar, right? That is this brew in a nutshell.

T: I still got cinnamon apples, wood, cocoa, and more Mexican weirdness. The aftertaste I got more pine wood than anything. Still, the IKEA comparison is absolutely the perfect one to my mind. Maybe instead of pork (like I got on the nose), the brewer(s) at New Belgium were actually thinking Swedish meatballs. lol

M: I just burped a moment ago and it actually burned my throat. This brew is also spicy in the "hot" sense, which makes it multidimensional to my mind. The lacing was substantial and the cinnamon apple component lingered in a rather divine way.

O: This was one of the most memorable beers I've tasted in the last year or so. No flaws and not a trace of booze detected. I WILL try this beer again in the future... many more times.

02-19-2012 03:47:41 | More by Chaney
312HopBomb

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%

22 oz. bottle. Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Smallish biege head when poured vigorously into the glass. No lacing. Clear brown with ruby highlights when backlit.

Aroma of cinnamon and spicy chilies with cocoa and chocolate malt.

Taste is rum raisin with caramel and sweet chocolate. Cinnamon is assertive but not overdone. Sweet but countered by the chili heat and dark fruit. Complex brew that paired well with spicy fish tacos and beans.

Mouthfeel is smooth with medium body.

I was surprised to find that chili beers are a great change of pace. My favorite Mexican dish is chicken mole enchiladas so I really enjoyed this one. Hotter than Samual Adams chili bock but not nearly as hot as Sigda's from Coopersmiths. New Belgium concocted a recipe that incorporates a traditional Mexican flavor into an awesome ale. Well done!

03-31-2012 04:49:42 | More by 312HopBomb
nick_asian

Nevada

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The bar I was at didn't have the best lighting, but it looked pretty dark with tannish head. Pretty good lacing going on as well.

S: A LOT of spicy cinnamon nutmeg going on here. Definitely picked up on the chocolate and some cacao. Good toast from the malts and a bit of carmel. Nice wood/smoke when settled.

T: Basically everything in the nose but a little bit of the wood/smoke is more present, but in a great balance.

M: Medium-full bodied. Very nice level of carbonation. Finish stays pretty much the same as you get in in the taste.

O: A great beer. I'll definitely be going back for more.

08-20-2013 08:27:08 | More by nick_asian

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Dark, coppery brown; black tea.

S: Heavy cinnamon, faint chocolate.

T: An initial cinnamon kick with a wash of chocolate. The heat from the chilies builds gradually and then suddenly dissipates, leaving behind a chocolate stout aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, characteristic of a brown ale.

O: The creativity works for this one. This is what I had expected from Dogfish Head's Theobroma. Where Dogfish Head approximated a recipe analyzed from clay pots, New Belgium instead delivered what may have been the common ideal of a beer brewed with cocoa, chillies, and other assorted spices. Nicely done; certainly worth revisiting.

02-26-2012 03:48:48 | More by 01001111
zander4dawin

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer is completely wicked. There's a light pepper spice with a minimal warming sensation along with light chocolate and more prenounced cinnamon notes. An excellent sipper beer to be enjoyed slowly. The smell is wonderful too. I really hope this beer comes back one day.

05-06-2012 23:41:26 | More by zander4dawin
Gatch

4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

On-tap at Taste of Tops in Tempe, AZ.

A: Dark brown in the glass but a beautiful deep, brownish red when held up to light. A bit of lace and a bubbly ring of white foam around the edge. Foamy, quickly-fading off-white head when swirled around the glass.

S: Lightly roasted malt, cinnamon, fruity-holiday spice, chocolate. Awesome.

T: Fantastically unique. Fruity, malty, spicy. Complex yet simply delicious. Great stuff.

M: Smooth with tons of flavor. Easy to drink. Leaves a pleasant taste on the palate. No alcohol presence whatsoever.

O: An amazing beer. Great cold straight out of the tap or warm after some time sitting. The hype is real on this one. Easily the best Chile Beer I've had although it seems to fall into another style. New Belgium really knows how to brew these "Lips of Faith" beers. I would without hesitation order this again.

03-15-2012 00:50:31 | More by Gatch
Dope

4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottled 02/26/12

A: A nice dark amber/brown pour. Good-sized soda-like tan head. Very fizzy, fades fairly quickly. No real sign of lacing, maybe a dot here and there at best.

S: A bunch of cinnamon with some cocoa mixed in. A touch of vegetal chile pepper but barely there. There is however, some discernible heat from the chiles.

T: Up front there is some chile pepper flavor with some caramel. Turns into cinnamon and then the chile heat joins it. Cocoa strong in the middle but strongest in the finish where it almost stands alone briefly. Nice strong bite from the chile peppers in the middle and through the finish, but nothing obnoxious or overpowering. Goes quite nicely with the bitter cocoa and sweet caramel in fact. A bit of smoky heat lingers between sips (chipotle?). This is unbelievably good.

M: Medium bodied, decent carbonation seems to heighten the chile heat a bit.

O: This is one hell of a chile beer. Great combination of chile heat, bitter cocoa and caramel to sweeten it all up. Very drinkable and well balanced. Easily the best crafted chile beer I've had. By a long shot.

10-17-2012 03:28:56 | More by Dope
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer as it combined some heat with some cocoa and cinnamon. Everything works in this experiment as the heat backed the stout like beer and the spices added some sweetness. The Mexican flavour aspect is unique and very cool. I would love to get a bottle and pair it with some Mexican food.

12-11-2013 02:31:26 | More by canucklehead
chocosushi

Oklahoma

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

Melbourne Bros. Stemmed Tulip
Tasted side by side with Chocolate Sombrero

A ~ Pours translucent cocoa brown with a red hue to it. Thin white head fizzles away quickly. We shined an LED through the beer & it a great Red color, with the light passing through, while chocolate sombrero was Opaque, & more of a mud color.

S ~ Cocoa Powder with an Oatmeal-like backbone...Cinnamon whispers through. Authentic Cocoa scents. Hints of Chile deep in the Nostrils.

T ~ Raw Cocoa, Cinnamon & Bold Chipotle smokiness with a lingering Guajillo & Ancho spiciness. Cinnamon reappears on the finish with slightly sweeter Chocolate notes.

M ~ No booze heat for the ABV. Tingly & Spicy with such a smooth & elegant expression of Chile peppers. Every Chile plays a note here, & you can really feel it on the palette.

D ~ Well Done! This really is one of the best Chile beers I have ever had. The expression of Chiles melds so well with the Cocoa & parallels the light cinnamon notes. Highly recommend. This outshined Chocolate Sombrero, & Clown Shoes is one of my favorite breweries.

03-20-2012 20:29:51 | More by chocosushi
gford217

Georgia

22oz bottle.

Pours a

Smelll is full of cocoa powder and cinnamon, very sweet but with a light chile kick. Also some vanilla and an interesting underlying sugary sweetness. Very unique nose.

The taste is peppery up front with lots of sugar underneath - vanilla and cocoa adding to the complexity. The finish is a mix of ancho chile burn and cinnamon sweetness.

The mouthfeel is well carbonated and lively on the palate with the peppers mixing well with the sweetness.

I have to say, this is one of the best of the Lips of Faith series. Complex, spicy, drinkable and, most of all, extremely tasty. Fantastic beer.

02-21-2012 04:40:09 | More by gford217
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A – Pours a deep ruby brown with sand colored two finger head of small bubbles, which fades quickly. Lacing is epic, completely ringing the glass with each sip taken.

S – Wow. Strong aroma. Getting Baker’s chocolate, cinnamon, chiles. This literally smells like a good mole sauce that I get at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Nice.

T – Follows the nose almost precisely. Chocolate flavor is more of the “semi-sweet cocoa” variety. Mild to medium heat from the chiles, especially after about half the bottle or so. Cinnamon flavor also stands out. Hints of black pepper, and pine nuts. Lurking underneath all this is just enough bitterness to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Finishes with lingering heat and mild alcohol burn. Overall flavor profile is rich. Tasty.

M – Big and chewy. Mild carbonation, which works well since there’s already so much tingling on the tongue already.

O – This beer truly delivers what’s advertised; a mole infused beer. Milder chocolate and more chile heat than other “chocolate chili beers” that seem all the rage lately. For those not familiar with mole, this one may be a little brash and “hot”. For those who enjoy mole like myself, I would say you might find this beer a treat. I’m getting this again.

03-13-2012 04:22:03 | More by TempeBeerMan
kagent777

Utah

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

22 oz bottle purchased while in Denver back in February. Poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A darkish reddish brown with about a 1 finger head with larger off white bubbles. Even leaves a solid sheet of lace as I drink the beer down.

Smell: I said, "Ohh, that smells just like mole sauce from Red Iguana." My wife, who does not like beer at all, said, "It smells less like fizzy dirty water." Especially after it sits for a few minutes, the smell intensifies a little. Nailed it.

Taste: This has got to be one of the most original beers I have ever had. This one reminds me so much of mole negro sauce from the Mexican place near our home. It starts out with the cocoa, followed by some spices and then a little heat. The "burn" goes all the down the throat. The alcohol is well hidden for a 9.0 ABV beer. I cannot give it a five because I would not want to drink this everyday, but New Belgium really nailed this beer. Kudos for experimenting!

Mouthfeel: Body and carbonation are fine. Finish is long but not overwhelming.

Overall: A very tasty experiment. I really enjoyed this beer and will look for it again.

07-10-2012 03:51:18 | More by kagent777
drewone

Bottled on 12-21-2011. Poured into a tulip glass

Red brown cola color, small head, small bubbles, some lacing on glass.

Wonderful smell - like biting into a piece of Belgium chocolate with a subtle spicy note (definitely recalls Mexican hot chocolate). complex - Some roasted toasted layers too.

Hit first w/ chocolate taste up front (though less in comparison to the smell) - some herbal and roasty flavors layer in their as well. Fruity alcohol ending, with a small lingering spiciness that heats up. Great taste, some what sweet but balanced with heat.

A bit slick, perfect amount of carbonation, plays well off spices.

Quite enjoyable - esp as a after dinner valentines treat. Wouldn't drink it every day. Unique, better than other spiced beers that I've had.

02-15-2012 05:12:44 | More by drewone
larryi86

Delaware

22 oz bomber poured into a New Belgium globe

A- Dark brown with a two finger off-white head. When it is held up to the light it is a deep ruby red.

S- Cinnamon! Cocoa, peppers, spices. Well balanced, reminds be of a sweet breakfast and a spicy dinner.

T- Follows that nose, again well balanced, nice heat from the peppers in the finish, 9% ABV is not noticeable at all.

M- Medium body, smooth, creamy.

O- This is a great beer that I find easy to drink, but I could see how the pepper heat could be a turn-off for some. I would compare this to something like a chocolate covered jalapeno, but not as hot. This has a great kick from the peppers but the taste is not driven by the peppers. Definitely will stock up on this.

02-17-2012 22:51:10 | More by larryi86
harrymel

Washington

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%

This is the third bomber I've had of this beer. It is exceptional.

Pours a cherry hued brown with little foam formation and no lace. The nose on this beer is insane, probably in my top five noses. cinnamon, cocoa, chili, sugar, coffee (just the slightest), grain, malt; these come together and honestly remind me of cinnamon toast crunch cereal - fucking awesome. Great cinnamon and cereal flavor with a good sharp burn at the rear of the palate. Really dig this beer. I'm worried about it's aging potential, so I'm drinking the shit out of it while I can. Medium bodied with prickly carb and an off dry finish. Really hope this becomes an annual release, they really hit it out of the park here.

03-03-2012 07:56:16 | More by harrymel
dirtyskunk

Colorado

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%

Dark clear amber with lovely head retention. Complex nose with nicely balanced cocoa, cinnamon spice, and dried chili. Sweet and smooth and full bodied but drinkable. Good platform for the interplay between chocolate and spice. Love the chili, I'm not usually a fan of chili beers but this is fantastic. I think they used dried chili which gives it a sort of sweet, grassy, almost herbal flavor up front and a slightly harsh heat in the back. Not too hot though, and the caramel and chocolate malts even it out. Obscenely drinkable for the style and for the ABV.

06-12-2012 05:03:38 | More by dirtyskunk
cosmicevan

thanks mike! enjoyed on 8/8

a - pours purple with thin bubbly head.

s - smells crazy. spices cinnamon pot pouri with some cocoa. lots of sweet nutmeg like candy. WILD and different.

t - mmm...tastes nice. chocolate with cinnamon. some spicy pepperiness. peppers.

m - prickly carbonation. the peppers and spicy heat. tickles my mouth. spicy heat that works.

o - extremely unique. spicy, cinnamon and chocolate. the peppers and heat really is a wild combo. for a chile beer, this one works!

08-13-2012 02:04:08 | More by cosmicevan
Cyclone8

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

This is my first beer review - I love this beer so much that I had to weigh in! It is unique and delicious, one of the best that I've had. The pervasive flavors are cinnamon and chocolate, and there's a spiciness that gives you a gentle kick in the head between sips. I stocked up on it, the spicy/chocolate combo will go great with grilled food this summer. I have a few friends who "don't like beer", though they've enjoyed some of the things I've poured for them - this one will definitely be added to that playlist.
The Lips Of Faith series rarely disappoints, and this is another wonderful addition to their canon.

02-02-2012 22:09:13 | More by Cyclone8
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

A really wonderful beer. I'm not a huge fan of chile beers since so many of them are unbalanced, with heat and not much else. This one is dubbed as a mole, and I have to say, it truly does taste like a mole. You get a nicely balanced melange of flavors, with some nice ancho chile, cinnamon, chocolate, vanilla, and some black pepper, along with some moderate malty sweetness. The nose is more cinnamon and chile with a hint of sweetness. The spice level is just right- to start with, it's a warming roasty heat, rather than a sharp, biting spice. Using the right kind of chiles helps. Here there are ancho, guajillo, and chipotle, so you get a warm, fruity, smokiness with moderate heat, not the sort of bright fruity heat of habaneros or the sharp herbalness and spice if jalapenos or birds eyes. The rounded fruitiness and roasty notes here blend very well with the other flavors and presents a lovely, integrated whole with the heat slowly building to a pleasant tingling, and the spice and vanilla notes echoing in the background after the base has been built by the chocolate and malt. The best Lips of Faith offering I've had in a while. Very nice indeed.

02-19-2012 23:00:47 | More by Georgiabeer
ccrida

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

On draught at Bailey's, served in a small nonic, Cocoa Mole is garnet with a small off-white head leaving scattered lace.

Smell is spicy, cinnamon toast, fairly vibrant.

Taste is very complex. Big cinnamon toast crunch cereal vibe, kind bark, but with a nice heat on the back finish. This is by far the best example of this trend I've had.

Mouthfeel is dry, spicy, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good for such a beer. I really like the sneakiness of the heat. The flavor is robust but not overwhelming. Dig it.

03-08-2012 01:31:17 | More by ccrida