Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa MoléLips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé Alström Bros

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Serving Type: 22oz bottle

A: Beautiful rich mahogany brown

S: Probably the best thing about this beer. Smells absolutely delicious like cinnamon and vanilla.

T: Tastes like cinnamon up front and afterwords has a hint of the peppers. Hides the high ABV quite well.

M: Smooth, yet slightly acidic with a little burn to it.

O: One of my new favorite beers I enjoyed it with some smoked salmon and was perfect together.

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

This is an opaque dark red when you hold it up to the light rather than dark brown as I was expecting. It produced very little white foam, which lingered around the edges of the pint glass leaving the middle hollow, vacant.

Smelled like cinnamon sticks. I tasted no alcohol even though the brew is 9%. This definitely tastes like Mexican hot chocolate due to the presence of cinnamon on the palate. I do not think it tasted like mole, per se, but I can see how there is a connection (many Mexican chocolate stores in Oaxaca also produce mole). I did not notice the chile until I had been drinking for a few minutes when I felt the faint, yet pleasant, chile burn in my throat. It was a little numbing, like a pain killer.

I enjoyed this. It was unusual and complex. It had a chocolate flavor different than what may be found in a stout, and in that sense the brewers took creativity to a new level.

This was not just a beer, it was an experience.

I’ll have another.

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger and grab a bottle off the shelf. But, when I saw it on tap tonight at Mekong in Richmond, VA, I knew I had to give it a shot. And I was not disappointed.

A- Very dark pour with no head.

S- Nice sweet smell with hints of cinnamon and chocolate. I can tell this one is going to be sweet.

T- So much complexity in this beer. I let my girlfriend taste it and watched her face go through at least 5 different expressions after she tasted it, so I knew it would be good. Hit me with a cocoa flavor at first with a hint of cinnamon. Sweet, but in a good way, and then a lingering spicy finish. Reminds me of a mexican chocolate.

M- Very smooth with a little bit of a tingling at the end as a result of the spiciness.

O- I was very satisfied with this beer and could easily see it becoming one of my favorites. Sweet, but not too sweet, and a nice spicy tingly finish. Oh, it's 9% ABV? who knew!

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing is my favorite beer. It was my first encounter with a Cocoa flavored beer, but it remains the best I've yet tried.

The beer doesn't look that great, and when I tell my friends how much I love it they doubt me when they first take a look at it.

But if you like the taste of Molé, this beer rocks it. I think that my loving Molé in Mexican food heavily influences why I love this beer.

If you really like Molé, you should really enjoy this beer.

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing