2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa MoléLips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé Alström Bros
Ratings: 605 | Reviews: 203 | Show All Ratings:
TheTot

Indiana

1.43/5  rDev -64%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a strange dark brown but see through like soda. Had a strange carbonation fizz that went away instantly leaving no head at all and no carbonation bubbles at all. The smell is of cinnamon and all spice, reminds me of an apple pie a lot. No cocoa smell at all. After a minor spillage incident we will get to the tasting. Very harsh on the tongue, and by that I mean the carbonation bubbles are very intense and unpleasant. Like the smell the taste is a lot like cinnamon and other spices but in an unflattering way. This might be my least favorite of the lips of faith series and may not be finishable. The mouthfeel is very light and unpleasant. I apologize for giving this beer such a bad review but I think there was a lot to be desired after drinking this beer.

03-18-2012 07:09:38 | More by TheTot
Homerb3

Georgia

1.53/5  rDev -61.5%

I did not like this beer at all.

I saw it, liked the bottle, read the ingredients and thought that could be good. I was wrong.

Had a nice light brown color.

Poured almost flat with no head at all.

The taste was spicy chocolate in a bad way. Burning alcohol aftertaste.

I normally like all of New Belgiums creations but do not recommend this unless you wanna play a joke on someone,

11-12-2012 12:43:02 | More by Homerb3
GlassHalfFull

Washington

2.25/5  rDev -43.3%

This was a huge letdown for me. As an avid Mexican food fan, I was looking forward to something complex, flavorful, and spicy. The bottle design is intriguing and colorful. The initial nose is nice, with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg. The appearance was a little thin, with very little lacing and a weak head.

This was shared with a few mates at a tasting party. We all came to the same conclusion...it wasn't worth finishing our glasses. The remainder of the beer was poured down the sink. I rarely dispose of mediocre beer. But, I couldn't bring myself to finishing this one. Very disappointed.

04-22-2012 01:59:01 | More by GlassHalfFull
portia99

2.43/5  rDev -38.8%

22oz bottle poured into an Idle hands tulip.

A - Pours a deep brown/mahogany color with a short cap of fizzy off-white foam that falls off almost instantly fizzing away in manner resembling but not quite matching soda. Settles in to a somewhat odd muddy/hazy body that I can't quite describe, but gives a bit of an "off" appearance in the glass.

S - Lots of cinnamon up front, blending into a green and vegetal aroma of peppers, caramel, sugary sweetness, light sprinkle of cocoa, a touch of smokiness. Peppers seem a bit funny to me...so far, 2 for 2 - something in the appearance and aroma that seems a bit "off" that I can't quite put a finger on.

T - Quite sweet up front and loaded with ground cinnamon flavor. A fruity flavor reminiscent of berries quickly joins in with the cinnamon for a distinctly non-beer experience to start each sip. From there the flavors fall into some caramel and cocoa eventually finishing with some peppery flavors and a mild pepper warmth that lingers and grows after the swallow.

M - Thinnish medium body with a matching carbonation. Beer has a little life with a slightly foamy tingle forming in the mouth on each sip. Odd fruitiness that becomes more fruit punch/Hi-C/Hawaiian Punch like as I progress (slowly) thru the glass. Mild peppery burn into and past the finish.

O - This beer really isn't for me. This is just plain odd. The fruit punch aspect is disturbing, the cinnamon is overpowering and the peppers don't add much flavor, just heat/burn in the throat on the swallow. Maybe this is a bad bottle (I can only hope it is)...it was odd looking, smelling and tasting. Drainpour.

07-18-2012 11:34:06 | More by portia99
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -33.8%

Bottle to tulip.

A - Medium brown; very slightly translucent. A small amount of cream coloured head formed on the pour and immediately disappeared.

S - Roast, spice and spicy chillies. Not much chocolate at all in the nose.

T - Roast, chocolate and chillies with a bit of a kick. Some cinnamon is present in the finish. The chillies completely dominate and drown out the other elements of the beer. I couldn't get through more than a few sips of this one.

M - Light body. Moderate to high carbonation.

10-08-2012 13:34:30 | More by TheSevenDuffs
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

Growler from Breeze In, Lemon Creek/Juneau, AK location.

Into a pint glass and a tulip.

A: light golden amber color. One finger white foamy head that dissipates within about a minute and leaves the same sticky slightly coated looking lacing clingy to the sides of the glass

S: where's the chocolate? Huh? no where to be found no matter how much I let it warm, however, there is a slight cinnamon aroma trying to come through and its mainly coming through like an American Blonde Ale

T: a bland malty sort of cinnamon-ness; no aftertaste, and a quick dry finish trying to pummel my tastebuds

M: light to medium, somewhat sessionable, carbonation seems ok for the "fruit/vegetable" style and yes, I realize this is a chocolate/chile beer, but am not getting as much as I had hoped for

O: God, I really hope I'm not becoming a beer critic here, but all I have to say is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, and this is a growler fill, if it wasn't for the cinnamon, I'd say this is an American Blonde Ale in disguise, I most likely won't have this again and am now wondering about New Belgium - what are they up to these days? Really, guys? What is this?

Serving type: growler

04-12-2014 20:08:46 | More by BeerKangaroo
Arborescence

Finland

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in room temperature.

Appearance: Very dark brown, but not quite black. Pours a head like soda, it recedes immediately -- disappointing.

Aroma: Cocoa and chili, some malt in the background. The spices are evident, the beer not so much!

Taste: Strong and spicy, but where are the beer characteristics? There are no hops evident, and the malt is very mild and on the background. Chipotle is present as a hot spiciness, but not too strong. The cocoa is perhaps dominant, although not like in a chocolate stout. It's clear that they used cocoa. Cinnamon is also clearly there. Alcohol tastes through as well, although not as much as you might think for a beer of such a high ABV.

Mouthfeel: Pretty bland, carbonated like soda, light to medium body.

Overall: Disappointing. I was excited an curious about this beer, but it fails to deliver. It's only the second beer from the Lips of Faith series that I've tried, but they've both been below average (the other one was Biere de Mars). Surprising, as I really like New Belgium's other beers. Anyway, this beer just doesn't taste like beer. It seems like an experiment gone wrong. The spices are nice, but given the strong spices, you'd need an equally robust beer to support them.

04-29-2012 00:59:36 | More by Arborescence
StLThrash

Missouri

2.78/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A - Dark brown, with very minimal head that dissipated rather quickly and left no lacing.

S - Not getting a lot here - a little bit of spice, a little cinnamon, not much of the chocolate or cocoa.

T & M - Very thin. Don't get much of a taste at all until the aftertaste where I get a hint of what this beer is supposedly all about. Fair carbonation, but very lacking and a disappointment.

Overall - I might have gotten a bad bottle, but this beer didn't live up to expectations. Not even close. Surprised given all of the other high ratings here. I might try on another occasion, but doubtful.

03-26-2012 13:05:29 | More by StLThrash
pants678

2.8/5  rDev -29.5%

Looks like a stout, thick and black with quite a bit of action going on just after the pour. Frothy white head.

You can smell the chiles right oft.

Chocolate and chile but not peppery in the way I'd expect. The chocolate's pushed off in the details as the heat is up front. There's cinnamon but there's so much of an amalgamation here it's hard to point anything out. Seems muddled, never unravels--I wish there some something sweet here. No idea about hops on this one. Not really pushed to try it again.

Carbonated like a stout, feels sorta milky with a dry finish.

09-09-2012 23:48:52 | More by pants678
CasanovaCummins

Nevada

2.83/5  rDev -28.7%

Very colorful, Mariachi style graphics. Very fun look.

Sorry to say, but the pour is a murky brown pour that isn't appealing to the eye. Minimal head that fades quickly.

Smells strangely of Cocoa powder, molasses cookies, and a cold chicken sandwich! A bit confusing. Not unpleasant, just a little cold on the nose.

The taste is a swirling Uber-sweet flush of spice heat. Ayyyiiiiyyyiii. Man, that pungent sweet heat packs a wallop. I'm grabbing for a tortilla to knock back some of the heat. The heat doesn't dissapate but grows with each mouthful.

Found this a bit overwhelming. A snifter pour is a good serving size, anything else is masochism!

02-06-2012 02:10:54 | More by CasanovaCummins
david18

2.88/5  rDev -27.5%

I had this on a recent visit to Todd English Pub in Las Vegas. I wasn't a huge fan of it. I found the atypical to beer elements to be too overpowering for the beer itself. I'm probably not the best person so listen to, as I see lots of good reviews but I could barely finish mine.

04-26-2012 19:49:53 | More by david18
BrutalSusan

2.9/5  rDev -27%

bottle to pint glass.

Quickly diminishing head. Translucent brown in appearance. Strong cinnamon and baking spice flavor with a little pumpkin and a hint of salt on the finish. I feel like it needs more of a bittering hop presence. decent beer if you split three ways, a half pint is all i need. should be released in the fall. it would make for a nice after dinner drink. Not my thing, but an unusual beer that i am glad to have tried.

10-23-2012 07:17:40 | More by BrutalSusan
Murrhey

Montana

2.93/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured on-tap in a taster at Haven Gastropub in Orange, Calif. Reviewed from notes.

A- Thin tan head. Little retention but laces quite well. Mahogany color with excellent clarity.

S- Cocoa and chili peppers, caramel. Nutty brown. Strange and spicy.

T- Extremely odd flavor. Spicy chilis and cocoa. Tastes musty and funky. Is actually somewhat spicy.

M- Very light feel with a strange dry, dusty flavor.

O- It's a weird beer. Not sure I would order it again.

12-01-2012 03:14:13 | More by Murrhey
Justin_Neff

2.94/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

22oz bomber

A: Pours a dark brown body, translucent when held to light. Fizzy light brown head. Disappears quickly with no lacing on the glass.

S: Strong cocoa flavor. Spicy pepper aromas. Sweet malt and cinnamon.

T: More pepper than anything. The sweet and spice conflict - not good. Some chocolate and cinnamon.

M: High carbonation. A little dry. Medium Body.

O: Appreciate what it's trying to be, but not my cup of tea.

03-16-2013 19:37:21 | More by Justin_Neff
sbl556

Georgia

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

I was really excited to try this as it pulled on my foodie heartstrings because I love experimenting with Molé sauces. That's pretty much the reason I got this as I've been underwhelmed by every other lips of faith i've tried...and I was pretty excited about those as well.

Bomber, poured into 20oz pint glass.

A- Dark brown pour with appealing tan head. Unforunately the head dissipates immediately with no lacing creating a really unappealing flat coke like appearance for the brew,

S- the highlight of the beer from what I can gather. Inviting Molé smell with cocoa and fresh chile scent being clear on the nose.

T- The Cocoa flavor hits upfront hard. It's clear that this is really cocoa and not chocolate which was refreshing, and the finish is a nice spice hit. these two flavors completely overpower everything else, save for a hint of cinnamon dark malts. the alchohol flavor, which was anticipated and I was looking forward to isn't even coming out by the bipolar flavor of this beer. While both are good flavors I enjoyed, this beer is screaming for more complexity that never develops.

M- nice feeling on the tongue and roof of the mouth that's essentially ruined by the soda like carbonation for me. the first thing that came to my mind is it felt like spicy dr. pepper going down my throat. I was not happy with the sensation.

O- There's a lot of promise in this beer. If it would have done what I anticipated it doing, namely had some head retention and developed more than a duopoly of flavors, it could have been very good. As it is, average to below average brew. Will not try again and I'll try to restrain myself the next time a LoF beer looks interesting.

05-05-2012 02:17:15 | More by sbl556
jethrodium

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

650 ml bottle. Pours a dark cola brown with a small tan head that settles to a ring and leaves very little lacing. Aroma is rocoa, smoked chiles, vanilla, a bit of cinnamon, and a mineral note. The taste is sweet cocoa, cinnamon, some smoked pepper, and a bit of a mineral note. It finishes with some smoky pepper heat and a light bitterness. Light body. Low carbonation. This reminds me a little bit of Hunahpu's, but without the roastiness to balance the other flavors and without the amazing full, creamy mouthfeel.

05-03-2012 08:07:11 | More by jethrodium
TKEbeerman

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

A: poured into my taster, this brew pours a caramel red with an average head. Nothing to special.
S: The aroma of this brew is just a hint of chocolate. A little pepper is present in the noise. Natural chile.
A: the flavor has a very ballanced pepper tasted with chocolate to mellow the peppers. the peppers kick on the back of the pallet.
MF: the mouth feel is a little thin and the carbination is light, but still the body of this brew can hold up....barely.
Overall a unique beer, worth the try.

11-17-2012 03:23:52 | More by TKEbeerman
claspada

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a semi-clear medium-dark brown color with a thin off-white head that fades pretty quickly. Just a few spots of bubbly lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aromas begin quite cinnamon forward with some mild but increasingly intense chocolate. The spice/peppers are noticed, but in the background.

The tastes are quite spice forward, both cinnamon and chile pepper. The chocolate and toasted bready maltiness in the aroma is completely overpowered by the dualing over-spicing, which is unfortunate, as they really drown out the other aspects of the beer.

The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with medium carbonation. The finish has quite a bit of lingering spice. The heat isn't overbearing at all, but it is disproportionate to the other characteristics of the beer. Typical thin mouthfeel that is found with many of New Belgium's beer thanks to them filtering and not bottle-conditioning anymore

Overall this beer started okay but ended up completely falling flat for me. The spices overwhelm the flavor profile of the beer leaving it too cinnamon forward in the end (which says a lot because I love it, I put a crap-ton in in my oatmeal everyday). LOF series beers are quite hit or miss, you can guess where I feel this one falls.

06-06-2012 20:10:20 | More by claspada
lokieman

Oklahoma

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip

A: Dark, golden brown with a 1/2 inch cocoa colored head that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S: Smells of cinnamon and holiday spice. A little bit of chocolate coming through once I get past the cinnamon but smells like apple pie with a cocoa/chile backbone.

T: The first thing that hits you is cinnamon. This is a cinnamon bomb if I've ever had one. Very sweet (almost too sweet) and the chile is very subdued. The sweetness and cinnamon character of this beer overwhelms the chile flavor and all I really ended up getting from the chilies was a slight chile burn on the edges of my tongue. Not bad but kind of falling into the dessert beer category for me.

M: Is nice with a nice lingering coating left in the mouth. The viscosity of this beer might be my favorite aspect of this brew. Very nice dark belgian ale mouthfeel that is rich and creamy without being overwhelming.

O: I bought one to lay down for a while and see what happens. For me to enjoy this beer more the sweetness and cinnamon character need to tone down a bit. I'm hoping some age will accomplish this. I would say this is a sweeter, less refined and sloppier Vertical Epic. I didn't hate this beer and I didn't love it...it just kind of lands in the middle somewhere for me. For $9 a bomber it's not terribly expensive and I am curious to see what 6 months to a year will do for the one in my cellar. An interesting brew....

01-28-2012 02:57:50 | More by lokieman
seedsofchaos

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

My local bottle shop just got this in tonight and a buddy and I decided to give it a go-around. I can definitely say, Cocoa Mole is like nothing else I've ever tried.

Cherry cola in color, Cocoa Mole pours with just a skimming of a head. Although dark, it has great clarity, active carbonation and highlights of ruby. The aroma is immediately sweet. This smells more like freshly baked cinnamon churros than a beer. Just a touch of cocoa and a touch of fresh sweet pepper but mostly sweet malts and cinnamon..

The bouquet isn't immediately echoed in the flavor as black pepper and alcohol are perceived first. Barleywine-esque malt sweetness comes in quickly on this full bodied brew. Definitely... Without a doubt... Spicy!! Cocoa Mole is so spicy, in fact, that it makes me feel as if I've just eaten a stuffed habenero and am on the verge of heartburn. Eventually, your palate gets used to the edge and a subtle chocolate begins to take its place among flavors of churro batter, cocoa and fresh peppers.

This is definitely a unique beer and, whereas I wouldn't be opposed to having another some time in the future, I wouldn't seek it out ever again. This is for sharing and sipping as the lingering spice can be quite unappealing at times. Different but not necessarily in a good way...

02-01-2012 02:28:11 | More by seedsofchaos
TeHStalker

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

I was actually a little bit disappointed with this beer from all the hype that I herd surrounding it. Brown and not as dark as I would have liked or expected with a tan head that quickly disappears. Smell gives off a lot of spice and some cocoa, mainly chile peppers actually quite pungent. The taste starts off full and a bit of a chocolaty malt but quickly is overshadowed by the spices. The spices are too overpowering and the balance between spices and chocolate are not very complementing, finished with a bit of cinnamon. Usually like spicy food but this beer was not for me. I guess I am more of a hop head in the making but I think that this beer is certainly different and worth trying. Others who I shared it with really liked it.

02-09-2012 19:59:50 | More by TeHStalker
Beejay

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

A: Dark brown black in color. When held to the light it takes on a cola color with perhaps a hint of ruby. The head is off white and creamy smooth.

S: Definitely a lot of cocoa powder in the aroma, as well as cinnamon. There is also a good bit of chili in there. There is almost a little bit of a chocolate coke smell going on. A very interesting brew indeed.

T: A bit more spicy than I would have thought. At first you get a little bit of a cocoa powder taste, followed by spicy peppers. The peppers almost taste a bit roasted, perhaps it is the dark malts.

M: Fairly light in body, the carbonation is fairly active. The finish is a little dry, and of course there is a spice note that gives it a little burn in the back of the throat.

O: Overall I think it is a fairly interesting brew. I like the cocoa nibs, but the chillies seem a little one note. Something new, but not something I would buy again. It would be interesting to cook with.

04-02-2012 01:44:14 | More by Beejay
aasher

Indiana

Chile beer, whooo!

This beer poured a medium bodied chestnut brown with amber highlights and a one finger soapy off white head. The nose features slightly sweet dark malts, toffee, light chocolate, cinnamon, and finishes with a slight pepper spice. I would prefer more pepper in the nose but it's decent. The flavors consist of a lot of dark malty sweetness, cinnamon, nutmeg, light cocoa, with ever so slight peppery spice. It's a little sweet and because of the spice profile with chocolate, kind of reminds me of the Midnight Sun's chocolate pumpkin porter, yet with a peppery spice. It's ok, I just wish there was more pepper, like a lot more. It drinks lighter than it poured and lighter than it looked. It's ok, I expected more, especially with high reviews.

04-13-2012 02:29:41 | More by aasher
HopHead84

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

4/7/2012

A: Light brown with a beige frothy head.

S: Big cinnamon and chipotle notes. Light cocoa character. Smells like Hunahpu's light.

T: Lightly spicy peppers with cinnamon. Cocoa blends with earthy notes. Strong chipotle profile. Spicy cocoa finish.

M: Lower medium body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: An okay beer, definitely interesting, but I wouldn't drink more than four ounces of it.

04-08-2012 18:40:53 | More by HopHead84
kojevergas

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served on-draught into a stemgoblet at Beachwood BBQ's Seal Beach location. Cost was $6.50.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of good cream, good thickness, and good retention. Colour is a nontransparent solid black.

Sm: Vanila, cocoa, cream, and spices - maybe cinnamon. A mild strength aroma.

T: Cocoa, spices (cinnamon), caramelized dark malts, and a resurgence of spices towards the finish. A bit simple, without layering. Not real subtle or complex. Nicely balanced. Decently built. Not unique or special, but enjoyable.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Not enough cream. Near perfect thickness.

Dr: The vanilla is wonderful. Very drinkable - especially for the ABV (which is well hidden). I'd buy a bottle of it. Otherwise, it's not extraordinary. Give it a try if you like the style. Pricey.

B-