Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé Alström Bros
Ratings: 938 | Reviews: 284
1.45/5  rDev -63.6%

Weird taste to this beer...not the best chile beer I have had by far.

1.49/5  rDev -62.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a strange dark brown but see through like soda. Had a strange carbonation fizz that went away instantly leaving no head at all and no carbonation bubbles at all. The smell is of cinnamon and all spice, reminds me of an apple pie a lot. No cocoa smell at all. After a minor spillage incident we will get to the tasting. Very harsh on the tongue, and by that I mean the carbonation bubbles are very intense and unpleasant. Like the smell the taste is a lot like cinnamon and other spices but in an unflattering way. This might be my least favorite of the lips of faith series and may not be finishable. The mouthfeel is very light and unpleasant. I apologize for giving this beer such a bad review but I think there was a lot to be desired after drinking this beer.

1.59/5  rDev -60.1%

I did not like this beer at all.

I saw it, liked the bottle, read the ingredients and thought that could be good. I was wrong.

Had a nice light brown color.

Poured almost flat with no head at all.

The taste was spicy chocolate in a bad way. Burning alcohol aftertaste.

I normally like all of New Belgiums creations but do not recommend this unless you wanna play a joke on someone,

1.65/5  rDev -58.5%

This was a drain pour for me.

Bottom line: overly sweet, and too much cocoa. The chile heat was actually fine, and in fact welcome after the Bosco/Dr. Pepper beginning of the beer.

I've had "mole" themed beers before and loved them. I've had stouts brewed on cocoa nibs and chiles, and several of them are among my favorites. Unfortunately, there is nothing nuanced about this one, and it's probably the final nail in the coffin for me when it comes to New Belgium.

2.28/5  rDev -42.7%

Spicyness of peppers plays nicely into the warming 9% ABV of the beer. The beer is a bit thin for the variety of flavors presented. The nose reminisent of a spicy cinnamon cupcake. Overall the beer is on the sweet side. Cinnamon takes over the beer and the sweetness of the Ceylon (Mexican) cinnamon also plays into the sweetness of the beer.

2.37/5  rDev -40.5%

This was a huge letdown for me. As an avid Mexican food fan, I was looking forward to something complex, flavorful, and spicy. The bottle design is intriguing and colorful. The initial nose is nice, with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg. The appearance was a little thin, with very little lacing and a weak head.

This was shared with a few mates at a tasting party. We all came to the same conclusion...it wasn't worth finishing our glasses. The remainder of the beer was poured down the sink. I rarely dispose of mediocre beer. But, I couldn't bring myself to finishing this one. Very disappointed.

2.48/5  rDev -37.7%

22oz bottle poured into an Idle hands tulip.

A - Pours a deep brown/mahogany color with a short cap of fizzy off-white foam that falls off almost instantly fizzing away in manner resembling but not quite matching soda. Settles in to a somewhat odd muddy/hazy body that I can't quite describe, but gives a bit of an "off" appearance in the glass.

S - Lots of cinnamon up front, blending into a green and vegetal aroma of peppers, caramel, sugary sweetness, light sprinkle of cocoa, a touch of smokiness. Peppers seem a bit funny to me...so far, 2 for 2 - something in the appearance and aroma that seems a bit "off" that I can't quite put a finger on.

T - Quite sweet up front and loaded with ground cinnamon flavor. A fruity flavor reminiscent of berries quickly joins in with the cinnamon for a distinctly non-beer experience to start each sip. From there the flavors fall into some caramel and cocoa eventually finishing with some peppery flavors and a mild pepper warmth that lingers and grows after the swallow.

M - Thinnish medium body with a matching carbonation. Beer has a little life with a slightly foamy tingle forming in the mouth on each sip. Odd fruitiness that becomes more fruit punch/Hi-C/Hawaiian Punch like as I progress (slowly) thru the glass. Mild peppery burn into and past the finish.

O - This beer really isn't for me. This is just plain odd. The fruit punch aspect is disturbing, the cinnamon is overpowering and the peppers don't add much flavor, just heat/burn in the throat on the swallow. Maybe this is a bad bottle (I can only hope it is)...it was odd looking, smelling and tasting. Drainpour.

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Says review optional but its not

2.65/5  rDev -33.4%

Bottle to tulip.

A - Medium brown; very slightly translucent. A small amount of cream coloured head formed on the pour and immediately disappeared.

S - Roast, spice and spicy chillies. Not much chocolate at all in the nose.

T - Roast, chocolate and chillies with a bit of a kick. Some cinnamon is present in the finish. The chillies completely dominate and drown out the other elements of the beer. I couldn't get through more than a few sips of this one.

M - Light body. Moderate to high carbonation.

2.68/5  rDev -32.7%

The pepper is overwhelming, not as good as stones version

2.73/5  rDev -31.4%

Look: Dark brown, decent lacing
Smell: Mildly fragrant, herbal, chocolate, spice.
Taste: Very spicy, cocoa flavor doesn't really come together. Spice eventually overwhelms the palate.
Feel: Moderate mouthfeel, heat builds quickly.
Overall: Drinking this beer wasn't enjoyable, I left it without finishing. I think the heat is overwhelming and the flavors are underwhelming.

2.77/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in room temperature.

Appearance: Very dark brown, but not quite black. Pours a head like soda, it recedes immediately -- disappointing.

Aroma: Cocoa and chili, some malt in the background. The spices are evident, the beer not so much!

Taste: Strong and spicy, but where are the beer characteristics? There are no hops evident, and the malt is very mild and on the background. Chipotle is present as a hot spiciness, but not too strong. The cocoa is perhaps dominant, although not like in a chocolate stout. It's clear that they used cocoa. Cinnamon is also clearly there. Alcohol tastes through as well, although not as much as you might think for a beer of such a high ABV.

Mouthfeel: Pretty bland, carbonated like soda, light to medium body.

Overall: Disappointing. I was excited an curious about this beer, but it fails to deliver. It's only the second beer from the Lips of Faith series that I've tried, but they've both been below average (the other one was Biere de Mars). Surprising, as I really like New Belgium's other beers. Anyway, this beer just doesn't taste like beer. It seems like an experiment gone wrong. The spices are nice, but given the strong spices, you'd need an equally robust beer to support them.

2.79/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Disappointing. While I got cinnamon and cocoa in the aroma, there was also something like artificial chemical flavor in there. Not that they used something artificial, buy maybe something got extracted in disproportionate concentration to other things and just tasted, well, worse than it smelled, and not very good. While the base beer is supposedly porter, this porter could have benefited from more body and sweetness. There was a cayenne pepper-like burn to the finish, and I think some sweetness would have helped. If you took away the spices, this would be a poor porter, IMO. My 9 bucks could have been better spent.

2.8/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A - Dark brown, with very minimal head that dissipated rather quickly and left no lacing.

S - Not getting a lot here - a little bit of spice, a little cinnamon, not much of the chocolate or cocoa.

T & M - Very thin. Don't get much of a taste at all until the aftertaste where I get a hint of what this beer is supposedly all about. Fair carbonation, but very lacking and a disappointment.

Overall - I might have gotten a bad bottle, but this beer didn't live up to expectations. Not even close. Surprised given all of the other high ratings here. I might try on another occasion, but doubtful.

2.85/5  rDev -28.4%

I had this on a recent visit to Todd English Pub in Las Vegas. I wasn't a huge fan of it. I found the atypical to beer elements to be too overpowering for the beer itself. I'm probably not the best person so listen to, as I see lots of good reviews but I could barely finish mine.

2.85/5  rDev -28.4%

Looks like a stout, thick and black with quite a bit of action going on just after the pour. Frothy white head.

You can smell the chiles right oft.

Chocolate and chile but not peppery in the way I'd expect. The chocolate's pushed off in the details as the heat is up front. There's cinnamon but there's so much of an amalgamation here it's hard to point anything out. Seems muddled, never unravels--I wish there some something sweet here. No idea about hops on this one. Not really pushed to try it again.

Carbonated like a stout, feels sorta milky with a dry finish.

2.86/5  rDev -28.1%

bottle to pint glass.

Quickly diminishing head. Translucent brown in appearance. Strong cinnamon and baking spice flavor with a little pumpkin and a hint of salt on the finish. I feel like it needs more of a bittering hop presence. decent beer if you split three ways, a half pint is all i need. should be released in the fall. it would make for a nice after dinner drink. Not my thing, but an unusual beer that i am glad to have tried.

2.86/5  rDev -28.1%

Very colorful, Mariachi style graphics. Very fun look.

Sorry to say, but the pour is a murky brown pour that isn't appealing to the eye. Minimal head that fades quickly.

Smells strangely of Cocoa powder, molasses cookies, and a cold chicken sandwich! A bit confusing. Not unpleasant, just a little cold on the nose.

The taste is a swirling Uber-sweet flush of spice heat. Ayyyiiiiyyyiii. Man, that pungent sweet heat packs a wallop. I'm grabbing for a tortilla to knock back some of the heat. The heat doesn't dissapate but grows with each mouthful.

Found this a bit overwhelming. A snifter pour is a good serving size, anything else is masochism!

2.92/5  rDev -26.6%

The beer poured somewhat opaque for a 9% abv porter. Light filters around the edges, adding a red hue to the beer.

Smell: I'm getting a vinous quality that is quickly overwhelmed by alcohol. A bit of dark chocolate and Chile heat comes through. Too much alcohol coming through.

Taste starts out with caramel. Sweetness is on the front end. Mid-palate a dark chocolate creeps in. It is pleasant, but unsubstantiated, as the beer is thin. It is like there is not enough substance to punch the flavor home.
The back end brings the heat in. Chile flavor and heat.

Mouth feel: this is the problem with this beer for me. It lacks substance and the thinness of the beer accentuates that.

Overall: I am big into large Chile stouts now, though I will not purchase this again. It is too thin and lacks flavor. The Chile and chocolate are there, as is a caramel sweetness in first sip. There is nothing to compliment these flavors, which bodes I'll for a larger (8% or so, and above) beer. It is too thin and their is no bold roasted dark grain flavor. Tasted more like a low IBU amber with chocolate and Chile flavors, which I would not of purchased.

2.95/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Too hot, not enough chocolate, too thin, no aroma, just not good. Another drain pour from NB.

2.98/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured on-tap in a taster at Haven Gastropub in Orange, Calif. Reviewed from notes.

A- Thin tan head. Little retention but laces quite well. Mahogany color with excellent clarity.

S- Cocoa and chili peppers, caramel. Nutty brown. Strange and spicy.

T- Extremely odd flavor. Spicy chilis and cocoa. Tastes musty and funky. Is actually somewhat spicy.

M- Very light feel with a strange dry, dusty flavor.

O- It's a weird beer. Not sure I would order it again.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

22oz bomber

A: Pours a dark brown body, translucent when held to light. Fizzy light brown head. Disappears quickly with no lacing on the glass.

S: Strong cocoa flavor. Spicy pepper aromas. Sweet malt and cinnamon.

T: More pepper than anything. The sweet and spice conflict - not good. Some chocolate and cinnamon.

M: High carbonation. A little dry. Medium Body.

O: Appreciate what it's trying to be, but not my cup of tea.

3.04/5  rDev -23.6%

I was really excited to try this as it pulled on my foodie heartstrings because I love experimenting with Molé sauces. That's pretty much the reason I got this as I've been underwhelmed by every other lips of faith i've tried...and I was pretty excited about those as well.

Bomber, poured into 20oz pint glass.

A- Dark brown pour with appealing tan head. Unforunately the head dissipates immediately with no lacing creating a really unappealing flat coke like appearance for the brew,

S- the highlight of the beer from what I can gather. Inviting Molé smell with cocoa and fresh chile scent being clear on the nose.

T- The Cocoa flavor hits upfront hard. It's clear that this is really cocoa and not chocolate which was refreshing, and the finish is a nice spice hit. these two flavors completely overpower everything else, save for a hint of cinnamon dark malts. the alchohol flavor, which was anticipated and I was looking forward to isn't even coming out by the bipolar flavor of this beer. While both are good flavors I enjoyed, this beer is screaming for more complexity that never develops.

M- nice feeling on the tongue and roof of the mouth that's essentially ruined by the soda like carbonation for me. the first thing that came to my mind is it felt like spicy dr. pepper going down my throat. I was not happy with the sensation.

O- There's a lot of promise in this beer. If it would have done what I anticipated it doing, namely had some head retention and developed more than a duopoly of flavors, it could have been very good. As it is, average to below average brew. Will not try again and I'll try to restrain myself the next time a LoF beer looks interesting.

3.09/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Aftertaste killed this beer for me. I could taste the cinnamon/chili blend several hours and two meals later

3.22/5  rDev -19.1%

650 ml bottle. Pours a dark cola brown with a small tan head that settles to a ring and leaves very little lacing. Aroma is rocoa, smoked chiles, vanilla, a bit of cinnamon, and a mineral note. The taste is sweet cocoa, cinnamon, some smoked pepper, and a bit of a mineral note. It finishes with some smoky pepper heat and a light bitterness. Light body. Low carbonation. This reminds me a little bit of Hunahpu's, but without the roastiness to balance the other flavors and without the amazing full, creamy mouthfeel.

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing