Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé Alström Bros
4.36/5  rDev +9.5%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Ruby-brown color with a 2-finger white bubbly head that recedes very quickly with only a ring around the liquid’s edge that remains. No lacing. Lots of bubbles.

S - This smells terrific. Cinnamon is very apparent, as is the chocolate, with a subtle underlying chile pepper aroma. Smells sweet and spicy.

T - Follows the nose very well. Sweet cocoa and hot cinnamon show up first. As the chocolate fades and the cinnamon lingers, a smooth smokiness sets in. It ends with a great spicy finish from the chile peppers. As you take more sips, the spiciness builds and builds. Very nice.

F - Medium-bodied with nice carbonation, hot and tingling mouthfeel, and a dry and spicy finish. Cocoa, cinnamon, smoke, and spice linger for a while. A hot, but pleasant, throat warming and tingling sensation from the spice.

O - This was a very tasty and unique beer. New Belgium follows through on exactly what they advertised: an ale with cocoa and spices. I was a little skeptical from the appearance, as this basically had no head, but the rest of beer delivered. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for more Lips of Faith beers and some different chile beers.

4.14/5  rDev +4%

A - Dark, chestnut brown with great ruby highlights. Decent clarity. Two-finger, light tan head turns to a thin collar. Bits of spotty lacing get left behind.

S - Smells great. As advertised, cocoa and cinnamon come through easily. Definite milk chocolate. Get a sense of the chilies as it warms, but they never become too prominent in the nose. Solid malt base with notes of allspice and nutmeg complimenting the cinnamon.

T/M - The chocolate and cinnamon come through here as well. Some roasted smokiness from the ancho and chipotle peppers. Provides a pleasant bite of heat in the finish. Thin, light-bodied that works well with the carbonation level. Prickly enough to prevent the chilies and spices from being too heavy on the palate.

O - Truly enjoyed this one. Another interesting offer in the Lips of Faith Series. I hope to see this one again.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

A-pours a dark brown with an off-white head that dissipated relatively quickly. Its appearance is somewhere between porter and a brown ale.

S-Smokey, cocoa, spicy, and malty

T-Much like the nose with cocoa and a hint of coffee up front and then some smokiness with a spicy finish as the chile burns the throat. Complex and delicious.

M-Seemed somewhat thin but I don't have much experience with this style but it was nice.

D-A friend of mine split a bomber with me and I felt like that was about as much as I could drink. Its complexity combined with its smokey and spiciness make this a sipper for me.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. The Lips of Faith series in my experience has been great. I recommend this.

4.32/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a nice copper into my pint. I found a somewhat metallic nose with a hint of cinnamon and malt. Hints of cocoa and vanilla immediately hit my mouth with a sharp bite of cinnamon to follow. After a few brief seconds, the spice from the peppers hits my throat. I was very surprised at how awesome this beer was as New Belgium just always seems to be so mainstream and ordinary. This beer is a sipper and I found that the cocoa and vanilla come out even more as the beer warms.

3.66/5  rDev -8%

22 oz bottle from malt and vine. I saw a short review in the NW beer magazine, so I needed to try it. I think it was 8$.

Well filtered dark ale, with tan head that holds.

Scent is light, a bit of malt.

Taste is roast, spice and malt. Cocoa, and coffee. Actually nice.

drinkability is fairly good. I would like this with dessert or rich food.

I would enjoy this again, especially if paired with chocolate and fruit.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

From a standard U.S. bomber(22ounces) poured into a 22 ounce pilzner glass.
A - dark brown with luxurious two finger head that leaves lots of lacing. Head retention is very long.
S - cocoa powder and cinammon sweetness aggressively attacks my nose.
T - Holy Shit. It's like a liquid spicy sweet Christmas ginger snap. Overwhelming. Enough said.
M - nicely carbonated liquified ginger snaps with an extra dose of burn to make sure you don't forget the peppers are there.
D - a slow drinker with some heavy duty action going on.
A very interesting and very different beer that definitely lives up to its' style.
Enjoyable once a year, I'd say.
I'm giving it a 4.5 overall for its' uniqueness. I hope they make it a year or two from now, preferably at Christmas.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.3/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Deep ruby in color, almost opaque until you hold it up to the light. At that point, there's lots of visible carbonation feeding a 1.5 finger off-white and bubbly head. It disapates slowly and sticks around for the whole drink. Lots of things going on with the aroma, with an intoxicating and aromatic spiciness that is of cinnamon, chocolate, and caramel with a touch of some chile pepper in the background. The combination is very interesting, at times remeniscent of (don't laugh) dog food with a certain mustiness, but once you delve into the nose a bit more, the spices come out at full blast. A bit bready in the malt to serve as an under the radar backbone of the aroma.

Rich flavors come out in the taste, full of spices like some sort of holiday seasonal with cinnamon and sprucy notes in the front. A smooth chocolatey and caramel middle makes for the maltiness and smooth mouthfeel. In the back the most interesting part of this beer makes itself known pretty emphatically: a definite spicy heat that can only be from a pretty sturdy usage of hot chile peppers. While it is definitely a key and prominent aspect of this beer, it is by no means overwhelming. It accents the other flavors almost flawlessly, making for a cinnamon-like burn while playing off the chocoate and caramel malts. It is its own flavor and yet it remains a part of the overall picture as it works its way across the palate in reverse. Nothing is very subtle in this beer, but nothing is quite overpowering either, a nice balance to have in these off-the-wall types of beers. I'm definitely surprised at how much heat made its way through the beer, aided, I'm sure, by the high ABV which has to be accenting this heat and possibly magnifying it slightly. The aftertaste is probably my only problem with this beer, tasting a bit like old, overcooked vegetables, possibly the chiles? It lingers on a little too long for my liking, but does make me want to take another sip, if only to dispel of this weird taste. The mouthfeel is smooth until the end, where the heat makes you forget about the mouthfeel for a minute. Maybe wouldn't have hurt from a bit more of a cleansing carbonation bite or tingle? It might help in removing that lingering aftertaste.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this beer. The fact that its so unique and interesting makes it easy to like for me, and I can get past the touch of heartburn the peppers are causing me. The drinkability is limited since the flavors are so unique but rich, but a perfect beer for sharing and examining its different attributes. Certainly not a beer for timid palates, but for those with a taste for the extreme and different, this is a perfect example. Definitely a conversation starter.

4.62/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer is completely wicked. There's a light pepper spice with a minimal warming sensation along with light chocolate and more prenounced cinnamon notes. An excellent sipper beer to be enjoyed slowly. The smell is wonderful too. I really hope this beer comes back one day.

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into a New Belgium globe. The beer is a deep ruby brown color. The head dissipates so fast that I cannot tell you what color it was. No lacing. Smells of chocolate, peppers, and malts. The taste is complex. Sweet and hot up front -- chocolate and peppers. A strange sweetness interludes, and the burn of peppers finishes. Interesting and good. Mouthfeel is heavy.

Overall, just a celebration beer. Not something I will have often, but a nice sipper.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger and grab a bottle off the shelf. But, when I saw it on tap tonight at Mekong in Richmond, VA, I knew I had to give it a shot. And I was not disappointed.

A- Very dark pour with no head.

S- Nice sweet smell with hints of cinnamon and chocolate. I can tell this one is going to be sweet.

T- So much complexity in this beer. I let my girlfriend taste it and watched her face go through at least 5 different expressions after she tasted it, so I knew it would be good. Hit me with a cocoa flavor at first with a hint of cinnamon. Sweet, but in a good way, and then a lingering spicy finish. Reminds me of a mexican chocolate.

M- Very smooth with a little bit of a tingling at the end as a result of the spiciness.

O- I was very satisfied with this beer and could easily see it becoming one of my favorites. Sweet, but not too sweet, and a nice spicy tingly finish. Oh, it's 9% ABV? who knew!

3.04/5  rDev -23.6%

I was really excited to try this as it pulled on my foodie heartstrings because I love experimenting with Molé sauces. That's pretty much the reason I got this as I've been underwhelmed by every other lips of faith i've tried...and I was pretty excited about those as well.

Bomber, poured into 20oz pint glass.

A- Dark brown pour with appealing tan head. Unforunately the head dissipates immediately with no lacing creating a really unappealing flat coke like appearance for the brew,

S- the highlight of the beer from what I can gather. Inviting Molé smell with cocoa and fresh chile scent being clear on the nose.

T- The Cocoa flavor hits upfront hard. It's clear that this is really cocoa and not chocolate which was refreshing, and the finish is a nice spice hit. these two flavors completely overpower everything else, save for a hint of cinnamon dark malts. the alchohol flavor, which was anticipated and I was looking forward to isn't even coming out by the bipolar flavor of this beer. While both are good flavors I enjoyed, this beer is screaming for more complexity that never develops.

M- nice feeling on the tongue and roof of the mouth that's essentially ruined by the soda like carbonation for me. the first thing that came to my mind is it felt like spicy dr. pepper going down my throat. I was not happy with the sensation.

O- There's a lot of promise in this beer. If it would have done what I anticipated it doing, namely had some head retention and developed more than a duopoly of flavors, it could have been very good. As it is, average to below average brew. Will not try again and I'll try to restrain myself the next time a LoF beer looks interesting.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.22/5  rDev -19.1%

650 ml bottle. Pours a dark cola brown with a small tan head that settles to a ring and leaves very little lacing. Aroma is rocoa, smoked chiles, vanilla, a bit of cinnamon, and a mineral note. The taste is sweet cocoa, cinnamon, some smoked pepper, and a bit of a mineral note. It finishes with some smoky pepper heat and a light bitterness. Light body. Low carbonation. This reminds me a little bit of Hunahpu's, but without the roastiness to balance the other flavors and without the amazing full, creamy mouthfeel.

3.97/5  rDev -0.3%

A stimulating peppery brew with a rather sweet edge.

Presentation: 22 oz brown capped bottle. Screen printed bottle with imagery of the Mexican Day of the Death, banner-flags, skeletons holding the name of the brew. Side paragraph notes main ingredients, and intent. Shows 9% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Brown to dark brown pour, small bubbly head, moderate retention, fair surface memory and lacing.

S - Malt, cinnamon, chocolate, hint of peppery spice...

T - Malty sense, with plenty of chocolate, peppers emerge but never overwhelm going back to the sweetness. Cinnamon and sugar, woven back into what at points almost feels like a crumbled cinnamon-sugar cake.

M - Medium to medium-light body with medium carbonation, and a nice long spicy finish, not too hot at all but pretty prominent, and balanced nicely by the hefty sweetness if one is into that edge. Alcohol is very well integrated and offers a hefty if smooth ride.

O - A nicely stimulating brew, something not that rounded in its rhythm but nothing off-putting.

Notes: Nice and pleasing brew. It does not deserve the praise it gets in some quarters but it is well worth the try.

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing