Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A - Dark brown, with very minimal head that dissipated rather quickly and left no lacing.

S - Not getting a lot here - a little bit of spice, a little cinnamon, not much of the chocolate or cocoa.

T & M - Very thin. Don't get much of a taste at all until the aftertaste where I get a hint of what this beer is supposedly all about. Fair carbonation, but very lacking and a disappointment.

Overall - I might have gotten a bad bottle, but this beer didn't live up to expectations. Not even close. Surprised given all of the other high ratings here. I might try on another occasion, but doubtful.

2.85/5  rDev -28.6%

I had this on a recent visit to Todd English Pub in Las Vegas. I wasn't a huge fan of it. I found the atypical to beer elements to be too overpowering for the beer itself. I'm probably not the best person so listen to, as I see lots of good reviews but I could barely finish mine.

2.85/5  rDev -28.6%

Looks like a stout, thick and black with quite a bit of action going on just after the pour. Frothy white head.

You can smell the chiles right oft.

Chocolate and chile but not peppery in the way I'd expect. The chocolate's pushed off in the details as the heat is up front. There's cinnamon but there's so much of an amalgamation here it's hard to point anything out. Seems muddled, never unravels--I wish there some something sweet here. No idea about hops on this one. Not really pushed to try it again.

Carbonated like a stout, feels sorta milky with a dry finish.

2.86/5  rDev -28.3%

bottle to pint glass.

Quickly diminishing head. Translucent brown in appearance. Strong cinnamon and baking spice flavor with a little pumpkin and a hint of salt on the finish. I feel like it needs more of a bittering hop presence. decent beer if you split three ways, a half pint is all i need. should be released in the fall. it would make for a nice after dinner drink. Not my thing, but an unusual beer that i am glad to have tried.

2.86/5  rDev -28.3%

Very colorful, Mariachi style graphics. Very fun look.

Sorry to say, but the pour is a murky brown pour that isn't appealing to the eye. Minimal head that fades quickly.

Smells strangely of Cocoa powder, molasses cookies, and a cold chicken sandwich! A bit confusing. Not unpleasant, just a little cold on the nose.

The taste is a swirling Uber-sweet flush of spice heat. Ayyyiiiiyyyiii. Man, that pungent sweet heat packs a wallop. I'm grabbing for a tortilla to knock back some of the heat. The heat doesn't dissapate but grows with each mouthful.

Found this a bit overwhelming. A snifter pour is a good serving size, anything else is masochism!

2.92/5  rDev -26.8%

The beer poured somewhat opaque for a 9% abv porter. Light filters around the edges, adding a red hue to the beer.

Smell: I'm getting a vinous quality that is quickly overwhelmed by alcohol. A bit of dark chocolate and Chile heat comes through. Too much alcohol coming through.

Taste starts out with caramel. Sweetness is on the front end. Mid-palate a dark chocolate creeps in. It is pleasant, but unsubstantiated, as the beer is thin. It is like there is not enough substance to punch the flavor home.
The back end brings the heat in. Chile flavor and heat.

Mouth feel: this is the problem with this beer for me. It lacks substance and the thinness of the beer accentuates that.

Overall: I am big into large Chile stouts now, though I will not purchase this again. It is too thin and lacks flavor. The Chile and chocolate are there, as is a caramel sweetness in first sip. There is nothing to compliment these flavors, which bodes I'll for a larger (8% or so, and above) beer. It is too thin and their is no bold roasted dark grain flavor. Tasted more like a low IBU amber with chocolate and Chile flavors, which I would not of purchased.

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured on-tap in a taster at Haven Gastropub in Orange, Calif. Reviewed from notes.

A- Thin tan head. Little retention but laces quite well. Mahogany color with excellent clarity.

S- Cocoa and chili peppers, caramel. Nutty brown. Strange and spicy.

T- Extremely odd flavor. Spicy chilis and cocoa. Tastes musty and funky. Is actually somewhat spicy.

M- Very light feel with a strange dry, dusty flavor.

O- It's a weird beer. Not sure I would order it again.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

22oz bomber

A: Pours a dark brown body, translucent when held to light. Fizzy light brown head. Disappears quickly with no lacing on the glass.

S: Strong cocoa flavor. Spicy pepper aromas. Sweet malt and cinnamon.

T: More pepper than anything. The sweet and spice conflict - not good. Some chocolate and cinnamon.

M: High carbonation. A little dry. Medium Body.

O: Appreciate what it's trying to be, but not my cup of tea.

3.04/5  rDev -23.8%

I was really excited to try this as it pulled on my foodie heartstrings because I love experimenting with Molé sauces. That's pretty much the reason I got this as I've been underwhelmed by every other lips of faith i've tried...and I was pretty excited about those as well.

Bomber, poured into 20oz pint glass.

A- Dark brown pour with appealing tan head. Unforunately the head dissipates immediately with no lacing creating a really unappealing flat coke like appearance for the brew,

S- the highlight of the beer from what I can gather. Inviting Molé smell with cocoa and fresh chile scent being clear on the nose.

T- The Cocoa flavor hits upfront hard. It's clear that this is really cocoa and not chocolate which was refreshing, and the finish is a nice spice hit. these two flavors completely overpower everything else, save for a hint of cinnamon dark malts. the alchohol flavor, which was anticipated and I was looking forward to isn't even coming out by the bipolar flavor of this beer. While both are good flavors I enjoyed, this beer is screaming for more complexity that never develops.

M- nice feeling on the tongue and roof of the mouth that's essentially ruined by the soda like carbonation for me. the first thing that came to my mind is it felt like spicy dr. pepper going down my throat. I was not happy with the sensation.

O- There's a lot of promise in this beer. If it would have done what I anticipated it doing, namely had some head retention and developed more than a duopoly of flavors, it could have been very good. As it is, average to below average brew. Will not try again and I'll try to restrain myself the next time a LoF beer looks interesting.

3.22/5  rDev -19.3%

650 ml bottle. Pours a dark cola brown with a small tan head that settles to a ring and leaves very little lacing. Aroma is rocoa, smoked chiles, vanilla, a bit of cinnamon, and a mineral note. The taste is sweet cocoa, cinnamon, some smoked pepper, and a bit of a mineral note. It finishes with some smoky pepper heat and a light bitterness. Light body. Low carbonation. This reminds me a little bit of Hunahpu's, but without the roastiness to balance the other flavors and without the amazing full, creamy mouthfeel.

3.23/5  rDev -19%

A: poured into my taster, this brew pours a caramel red with an average head. Nothing to special.
S: The aroma of this brew is just a hint of chocolate. A little pepper is present in the noise. Natural chile.
A: the flavor has a very ballanced pepper tasted with chocolate to mellow the peppers. the peppers kick on the back of the pallet.
MF: the mouth feel is a little thin and the carbination is light, but still the body of this brew can hold up....barely.
Overall a unique beer, worth the try.

3.26/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Cocoa Mole pours a translucent black color with a small lacing tan head. There is a bold cinnamon aroma. The taste is big of the three peppers and packs a little heat, small smoked flavors and a hint of sweetness. Body is rather watery and light.

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a semi-clear medium-dark brown color with a thin off-white head that fades pretty quickly. Just a few spots of bubbly lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aromas begin quite cinnamon forward with some mild but increasingly intense chocolate. The spice/peppers are noticed, but in the background.

The tastes are quite spice forward, both cinnamon and chile pepper. The chocolate and toasted bready maltiness in the aroma is completely overpowered by the dualing over-spicing, which is unfortunate, as they really drown out the other aspects of the beer.

The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with medium carbonation. The finish has quite a bit of lingering spice. The heat isn't overbearing at all, but it is disproportionate to the other characteristics of the beer. Typical thin mouthfeel that is found with many of New Belgium's beer thanks to them filtering and not bottle-conditioning anymore

Overall this beer started okay but ended up completely falling flat for me. The spices overwhelm the flavor profile of the beer leaving it too cinnamon forward in the end (which says a lot because I love it, I put a crap-ton in in my oatmeal everyday). LOF series beers are quite hit or miss, you can guess where I feel this one falls.

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer has a lot going on and I will do my best to review it to the best of my ability. Pours a deep brown color with minimal head and spotty lacing. Aroma hits you hard with scents of cinnamon, roses, and some weird, yet intriguing other aroma that I just cant figure out. Taste is very bold like the nose. Touches of wet cinnamon and allspice are definitely present and their is a slight burn that I would guess is a combination of the alcohol and the ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers. The heat is not overbearing, but you tend to get more of it on the front end than the back. I am getting very little cocoa out of this. This beer is full of all kinds of mild to moderate spice and the mouthfeel is a little less than I would have expected after the first taste. Hard to tell how the balance is because of everything that is going on, but overall, this is the most unique beer I have had. A sipper, slow and steady, lol.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip

A: Dark, golden brown with a 1/2 inch cocoa colored head that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S: Smells of cinnamon and holiday spice. A little bit of chocolate coming through once I get past the cinnamon but smells like apple pie with a cocoa/chile backbone.

T: The first thing that hits you is cinnamon. This is a cinnamon bomb if I've ever had one. Very sweet (almost too sweet) and the chile is very subdued. The sweetness and cinnamon character of this beer overwhelms the chile flavor and all I really ended up getting from the chilies was a slight chile burn on the edges of my tongue. Not bad but kind of falling into the dessert beer category for me.

M: Is nice with a nice lingering coating left in the mouth. The viscosity of this beer might be my favorite aspect of this brew. Very nice dark belgian ale mouthfeel that is rich and creamy without being overwhelming.

O: I bought one to lay down for a while and see what happens. For me to enjoy this beer more the sweetness and cinnamon character need to tone down a bit. I'm hoping some age will accomplish this. I would say this is a sweeter, less refined and sloppier Vertical Epic. I didn't hate this beer and I didn't love it...it just kind of lands in the middle somewhere for me. For $9 a bomber it's not terribly expensive and I am curious to see what 6 months to a year will do for the one in my cellar. An interesting brew....

3.37/5  rDev -15.5%

My local bottle shop just got this in tonight and a buddy and I decided to give it a go-around. I can definitely say, Cocoa Mole is like nothing else I've ever tried.

Cherry cola in color, Cocoa Mole pours with just a skimming of a head. Although dark, it has great clarity, active carbonation and highlights of ruby. The aroma is immediately sweet. This smells more like freshly baked cinnamon churros than a beer. Just a touch of cocoa and a touch of fresh sweet pepper but mostly sweet malts and cinnamon..

The bouquet isn't immediately echoed in the flavor as black pepper and alcohol are perceived first. Barleywine-esque malt sweetness comes in quickly on this full bodied brew. Definitely... Without a doubt... Spicy!! Cocoa Mole is so spicy, in fact, that it makes me feel as if I've just eaten a stuffed habenero and am on the verge of heartburn. Eventually, your palate gets used to the edge and a subtle chocolate begins to take its place among flavors of churro batter, cocoa and fresh peppers.

This is definitely a unique beer and, whereas I wouldn't be opposed to having another some time in the future, I wouldn't seek it out ever again. This is for sharing and sipping as the lingering spice can be quite unappealing at times. Different but not necessarily in a good way...

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Dark brown black in color. When held to the light it takes on a cola color with perhaps a hint of ruby. The head is off white and creamy smooth.

S: Definitely a lot of cocoa powder in the aroma, as well as cinnamon. There is also a good bit of chili in there. There is almost a little bit of a chocolate coke smell going on. A very interesting brew indeed.

T: A bit more spicy than I would have thought. At first you get a little bit of a cocoa powder taste, followed by spicy peppers. The peppers almost taste a bit roasted, perhaps it is the dark malts.

M: Fairly light in body, the carbonation is fairly active. The finish is a little dry, and of course there is a spice note that gives it a little burn in the back of the throat.

O: Overall I think it is a fairly interesting brew. I like the cocoa nibs, but the chillies seem a little one note. Something new, but not something I would buy again. It would be interesting to cook with.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Chile beer, whooo!

This beer poured a medium bodied chestnut brown with amber highlights and a one finger soapy off white head. The nose features slightly sweet dark malts, toffee, light chocolate, cinnamon, and finishes with a slight pepper spice. I would prefer more pepper in the nose but it's decent. The flavors consist of a lot of dark malty sweetness, cinnamon, nutmeg, light cocoa, with ever so slight peppery spice. It's a little sweet and because of the spice profile with chocolate, kind of reminds me of the Midnight Sun's chocolate pumpkin porter, yet with a peppery spice. It's ok, I just wish there was more pepper, like a lot more. It drinks lighter than it poured and lighter than it looked. It's ok, I expected more, especially with high reviews.

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served on-draught into a stemgoblet at Beachwood BBQ's Seal Beach location. Cost was $6.50.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of good cream, good thickness, and good retention. Colour is a nontransparent solid black.

Sm: Vanila, cocoa, cream, and spices - maybe cinnamon. A mild strength aroma.

T: Cocoa, spices (cinnamon), caramelized dark malts, and a resurgence of spices towards the finish. A bit simple, without layering. Not real subtle or complex. Nicely balanced. Decently built. Not unique or special, but enjoyable.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Not enough cream. Near perfect thickness.

Dr: The vanilla is wonderful. Very drinkable - especially for the ABV (which is well hidden). I'd buy a bottle of it. Otherwise, it's not extraordinary. Give it a try if you like the style. Pricey.

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Light brown with a beige frothy head.

S: Big cinnamon and chipotle notes. Light cocoa character. Smells like Hunahpu's light.

T: Lightly spicy peppers with cinnamon. Cocoa blends with earthy notes. Strong chipotle profile. Spicy cocoa finish.

M: Lower medium body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: An okay beer, definitely interesting, but I wouldn't drink more than four ounces of it.

3.42/5  rDev -14.3%

I was actually a little bit disappointed with this beer from all the hype that I herd surrounding it. Brown and not as dark as I would have liked or expected with a tan head that quickly disappears. Smell gives off a lot of spice and some cocoa, mainly chile peppers actually quite pungent. The taste starts off full and a bit of a chocolaty malt but quickly is overshadowed by the spices. The spices are too overpowering and the balance between spices and chocolate are not very complementing, finished with a bit of cinnamon. Usually like spicy food but this beer was not for me. I guess I am more of a hop head in the making but I think that this beer is certainly different and worth trying. Others who I shared it with really liked it.

3.44/5  rDev -13.8%

Purchased at the Wine Source in Baltimore.
Bottled on 12/21/2011
22 oz. bottle
Label reads: "Say hola to a spiced up ale full of cocoa and ancho, guajillo, and chipotle peppers. But don't fear the heat, because plenty of caramel and chocolate malts bring a smooth, complex flavor. Scents of cinnamon when poured will have you saying 'ole for mole!'"

I had somewhat high expectations for this beer as my friend said that this was one of the best beers they have ever had in their life. Bold statement...

Pours a deep ruby chestnut color with excellent clarity. Tan head fizzes away at a moderately fast pace and leaves practically nothing on top. The body is very dark, deep dark brown with red highlights.

The aroma is exciting; definitely different than most beers. Chocolate is there with some spices. It has a creamy, "lactose" aroma to it. Smells sweet. If I didn't know there were peppers thrown in, I'm not sure I would be able to pull that aroma out. However, if you concentrate and when it is warm enough, you can get some of that pepper aroma.

Extremely flavorful beer! There is a burst of spicy pepper notes, cinnamon, ginger, clove, followed by a saccharin-sweet chocolate finish and a long, spicy heat from the peppers. This is one tasty beer! The one thing I would maybe change to improve upon would be that cocoa flavor. It truly is a bit too much and is oddly giving me the impression of artificial sweetener.

The beer is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. There is a lingering bite from the heat of the peppers.

Cocoa Mole is a "style bender" and a good one at that. Peppers, chocolate, spices...it's all mole, but could there be such a thing as Mole Beer? Overall, this would be a good food beer, otherwise it didn't do enough for me that I would drink it again on its own.

Pair it with something Mexican...mole (duh) burrito, peppered flank steak, churros.

3.46/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Light head tops a ruby-translucent beer. Dark brown. Pretty, with good lacing!

S: Musky, but not much. Chocolate and chile dust.

T: Disappointing...perhaps it's too old? Sort of flat, muted flavours, with an excellent spicy bite on the aftertaste that can't ameliorate the mediocre maintaste.

M: Spicy-smooth. Thin and flat.

O: An enjoyable experience, chock full of chocolate and peppery spices. Still, unremarkable and unrecommended.

3.46/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance- The beer pours a deep brown-mahogany color with a moderately thick head of two finger height. The brown tinted head has a moderate level of retention, slowly fading over time to leave a lighter level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is rather strong of a milk chocolate flavor mixed with some spicy red pepper aromas. Along with these more dominant smells are some aromas of a caramel and smells of a dark fruit nature with the fruits being mainly of a raisin and plum smell. A strong aroma of cinnamon rounds out the smell creating a Mexican spiced milk chocolate bar aroma overall.

Taste – The taste begins with a moderately sweeter chocolate flavor mixed with some lighter flavor of hot pepper. Upfront the sweetness is of a caramel and dark fruits, but these flavors later end up fading a bit as the taste moves on. While the sweeter flavors fade some, more pepper comes to the tongue and with this increase in pepper also comes some flavors of roasted malt and some stronger spice flavors of a cinnamon and a hit of coriander. In the end with the loss of sweet, the increase in the spice and heat, and with a little bit of a boozy taste hitting the tongue, one is left with a rather hot semi sweet Mexican spiced cocoa bar flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average to slightly thinner side with a carbonation level that is on the average side. For the rich cocoa mixed with the pepper it is a rather decent feel as it nicely accentuates the two all while not overwhelming the tongue with the spice or the richness of the taste.

Overall – An interesting one to try, but a little too peppery and spiced for my tastes. If you like chili spice and chocolate porters this may be for you, but if not you may not want to take this on.

3.46/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into an Ommegang tulip.

A: Pours a surprisingly clear dark mahogany color with a two finger light tan color head of decent lacing.

S: Cinnamon, chiles, chocolate...and tomato juice? If I didn't know better, this is slightly reminiscent of a spiced bloody mary. Not completely offputting, but not quite what I want in a beer.

T: Thankfully much better than the smell. There's a noticeable spiciness, not just from the chiles, but from the cinnamon notes. In that regard, it reminds me of a winter warmer - even the malt backbone is very winter warmer-esque. It doesn't seem very hot at first, but after a while the peppery sensation will build in the back of your throat (and later on the tongue), albeit not overly so. The chocolate notes also increase as one progresses through the drink. This is a beer that improves significantly after several sips, so one shouldn't write this one off after the first swig. It reminds me exactly what a chocolate-spiced mole sauce would taste like, so mission accomplished, New Belgium.

M: Slightly coarse bodied, with a medium body and a slightly numbing finish. It works for what this beer is trying to accomplish. Average carbonation.

O: I love beer, and I love hot food, but I'm not so sure about combining the two. Still, it's a complex, interesting experiment that's well worth a shot. Good stuff.

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing