Shift Pale Lager - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-14-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shift Pale Lager Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

ThisSpaceForRent, Sep 07, 2012

bigwillystyle, Sep 06, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

twkirkby, Sep 06, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours darkish gold with a huge pillow white two finger head and oddly of chunky lacing left on the glass but plenty of it. Retention was nice as well.

Grainy and light malt, minimal adjuncts with subtle complexities of hay, canned pineapple and tangerine. Thankful that NB's lager yeast doesn't leave the biscuit quality all of their ales have.

Quite good though very malty. Thick dose of pale malt with some honey, spiced bread and grain husk. Slight edge from orange and pine hops. Slightly bittering with a crude hit of adjunct graincoming out on the finish.

A bit heavy throughout the drink, one can is all I care to have with this body. Carbonation is appropriate. Nicely drying. I liked it better out of the can.

Canned lager, great that craft breweries can get their slice of the pie. Pricewise I'd pass on this, it is a heavier take on a lager with a good balance but not even NB's best. I'd take a Blue Paddle over this any day.

rawfish, Sep 05, 2012

JimmyTango, Sep 05, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

gleemonger, Sep 05, 2012

GeoCait, Sep 05, 2012

Zachtheporter, Sep 05, 2012

travishardy929, Sep 05, 2012

sethmcconkey, Sep 05, 2012

From notes, from the only one of these I've ever poured out of it's pint can into a glass.

Golden colored with a fluffy white head that persisted, leaving nice lacing. Smell was lightly malty/grainy with faint but delicious orange, pineapple notes. Taste followed the nose, cleanly malty/grainy with an array of light tropical elements, oranges, pineapples. Mildly balanced to the bitter side. Light, clean and refreshing in a medium bodied beer with a dry finish.

Session beer I'd drink more if if it was a little less expensive.

JackieTH, Sep 04, 2012

Dwtucker90, Sep 04, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured a clean, clear honey colored body with plenty of carbonation and a head that stuck around for the duration of this review. Nice lacing, but no alcohol legs which wasn't a suprise with the 5% abv.

S- Slight pine, hops and orange peel.

T- Once again, a clean refreshing taste. Identical to the smell, only a slight grainyness that was expected.

M- Medium bodied, dry finish. Nice session beer and available year around. I can drink this without hesitation.

intensify, Sep 04, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

I picked up a four pack of New Belgium's Shift Pale Lager a couple days ago for $6.99 at Meijers. While doing some grocery shopping I saw that the store just got a bunch of New Belgium beers in that just now became available in Michigan, I don't know much about this beer but it seems like it's suppose to be pretty drinkable and that's the kind of beer that I'm in the mood for right now, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but it has to be pretty fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the way this can looks, the gears and chains look nice and go win the New Belgium's constant bike theme. It poured a very clear golden yellow color that I would expect from a Pale Lager. It had two and a half fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice sheets of lacing. This is a good looking Lager, the color and clarity were true to style and the creamy head was nice, no complaints here.

S- The aroma starts of with a nice malty presence, it has a medium amount of sweetness to it and imparts some bready and grainy aromas along with a little bit of earthiness and grass. Up next comes the hops, which are nice and citrusy with lemon zest sticking out the most but I also picked up some slight floral and spicy hop aromas towards the end. I like the aroma of this beer, its hoppy and has more citrus to it then I thought it would, but the hops don't overpower those nice bready malts.

T- The taste seems to be almost exactly the same as the aroma and it starts off with a slight bit of bready malts that have a lower amount of sweetness, they are quickly followed by a good amount of hops that are are mainly citrus with lemon zest still sticking out the most. Up next comes a little more bready and grainy malt flavors. Towards the end comes some spicy and slightly floral hops that impart a nice spice hop flavor on the finish and impart a light amount of medium bitterness with a pretty spicy aftertaste. This beer tasted good, I really liked the balance between the bready malts and the citrus and spicy hops, it was nice.

M- Very smooth, refreshing, crisp, light bodied, with a nice amount of slightly higher medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer and was very true to style.

Overall I liked and was impressed by this beer and I thought it was a very good example of an American Pale Lager and so far the best one I have tried. It had really good drinkability, it was really smooth, crisp, refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could see taking out a four pack on a nice warm summer day, this beer is pretty much the definition of drinkable. What I liked most about this beer was how nice the hop aspect to this beer was and how nicely it was balanced by the bread malts, the balance is really impressive and the drinkability was really nice. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I would want to change with this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I already got two more four packs before the store jacks the price up, I highly recommend this to anyone and this would make a great choice for someone just getting into craft beer. All in All I was flat out impressed by this beer and it could be one of the best lagers I have ever had, New Belgium hit it out of the park with this one, they gave the people what they wanted, a lager that doesn't suck, great job guys this beer just earned a spot in my beer fridge.

StoutHunter, Sep 03, 2012

dmorley21, Sep 03, 2012

zeledonia, Sep 03, 2012

redleg64, Sep 03, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Bought a can of this at the US Pro Cycling challenge before I realized there was another booth with Ranger. Can't comment on the appearance since I drank it straight from the can so I'll just assume and rate it good. Smell is sort of "beery" typical lager smells. Flavor has a nice grassiness followed by malt and lager yeast. This must have been pretty fresh. Honestly though I would never but this beer at a store because its completely overpriced at $9 per four pack. This needs to be in six packs of 12oz cans for like $8. not sure why anyone in Colorado would ever pick this up over OB Mama's Lil Pils...

ArrogantB, Sep 02, 2012