Red Hoptober - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Centennial, Cascade & Eldorado hops

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 07-20-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Hoptober Alström Bros

ohtheguilt, Aug 18, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Picked up tonight at the COOP... poured into my slim tulip glass.. nice 1" tannish head.. the brew is clear deeeep amber... very pretty.. nice lacing and retention.

Fairly abundant citrus and floral hoppiness... but smacked with a ton of toasty malts.. I've never thought this combination works well, but apparently New Belgium thinks otherwise.

Light bitterness... good hoppy flavors that mirror the nose... and plenty of malty essence that leaves not too much sweetness... just plenty biscuity and medium toast..

Body is standard so is carbonation.

Meh.... I bought 2x bottles.... I will drink the other, but will not buy another.

The "biscuit/toasty malt" qualities is just sooo prevalent in New Belgium beer.... Too much of a "house flavor".

4/3/3.5/3.5/3

JohnGalt1, Aug 18, 2012

hippityhophead24, Aug 18, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Buiscuts, nuts, toffee, toast, grass, and roast. I love this aroma!

Deep red in color and perfectly clear. No visible carbonation but a beautiful light tan head that is so thick it creates a mustache as you drink it. Lacing is above par.

Red Hoptober is lightly roasted on the palate and brings on this wonderful nuttiness with slight hints of wheatgrass and citrus.

Carbonation is somewhere between low and medium with a lighter body than expected. It's a smooth drink and makes me want more.

tlazaroff, Aug 18, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +12.2%

Described as an American Amber, this year's version of NB's Hoptoberfest c omes across to me like a Duesseldorf Alt with a distinctive American accent.

The colori is more brown than amber or red, by my eyes, but it isa a pretty, very clear beer with a modest, but persistent head.

Like so many American craft beers, this is about hops...I wish they had waited to make it from this year's crop of wet hops. Nonetheless, the hop aromas and flavors are 1. All-American, 2. Very fresh and refreshing, and 3. prominent yet well balanced by a complex, caramel malt backgound.

Bottom line, I enjoyed the heck out of this beer. Well made. Tasty. Not meant for lawn-mowing, but for back porch sipping on a cool Fall evening. Hops are focused on favor and aroma, not mouth-wrenching bitterness. Just as it should be.

Good job, New Belgium.

danmouer, Aug 17, 2012
1.95/5  rDev -48.3%

Was surprised at how little I enjoyed this beer. I just couldn't get over the musty smell. It was something like furniture polish! The taste was similar. I'm not sure if I just got a bad batch or what, as I think New Belgium usually makes solid beers.

alysmith4, Aug 17, 2012

Hellyeahimdrinking, Aug 17, 2012

Buck6196, Aug 17, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours out a dark copper red color with lots of lacing on the glass. Overall looks impressive.

S - the smell is citric, resiney, piney with a touch of raisin bread-like sweetness.

T - the taste is a lot of citric and somewhat earthy tasting hops. However the hops tastes somewhat dull and muted, not as complex as I would have hoped. Well I could taste a cornucopia of hop Varieties the quality of the Hops themselves are not flowery, leafy whole cone hops.

M - mouth feel is fine not too carbonated pretty smooth and drinkable.

I- overall a nice beer but like too many hoppy beers not nice enough to have me prefer over a Victory or even a Sierra Nevada.

Star80, Aug 17, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz. Bottle

A- dark copper color, thin sudsy head, leaves a good amount of lacing.

S- earthy, fresh with hints of citrus and toasted nuts.

T- nutty, with a nice spicy citrus hop profile. Grains taste of roasted nuts, Caramel and butterscotch.

M- smooth but in my opinion a bit under carbonated which gave it almost a slimy feel kinda strange but not all that bad.

O- very nice. When I cracked the bottle all I smelt was hops. Then I poured it and everything mixed together well. A brew with excellent balance but a strong flavor in each the hop and grain profile. It is a beer that is fit for a beer geek as the different flavors come one after another.

t2thebro, Aug 17, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

First off I should state that I'm not a big Red Ale fan and never have been. It's probably my least favorite of brews, but sometimes I find one that I really like (like Duchess), and this new release from New Belgium is another exception.

A: Extremely red. Holy crap that's red. Awesome looking thick burgundy color with a medium-sized head that has out-of-this-world lacing.

S: Ruby-red citrus floral scent. Lots of hops present right away but not aggressive in any way. Somewhat tame but an overall sweet scented experience and I'm definitely ready to taste it.

T: Somewhat hoppy, but also malty for sure. Toffee and semi-sweet chocolate aftertones complete the dark red palette in a sensible manner. Actually tastes much more like an amber ale or even a slight pale ale more than a red brew. Very nice all the way down - there isn't one moment when the taste seems lackluster and this is definitely a solid 4.0 category.

M: Smooth, semi thick yet very fluid, and most of all... inviting. Feels like I could drink this next to a warm campfire as well as on the ski slopes. Doesn't quit this quality all the way down, either. Very nice!

Overall: The definition of a 4.0 beer in my opinion. As stated before I don't like red ales that much, but I do LOVE New Belgium and feel like I often may over-rate their releases. This time I feel I'm being subjectively fair and giving it exactly what it deserves. This is a great beer for the price (6.99-8.99 per 6 pack) and I recommend it for anyone who likes Ales of any type. GOOD STUFF!

Psilo707, Aug 17, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

JottaGibboo, Aug 16, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm quite impressed with this and will buy more....hop forward but backloaded with a nice dark toffee/brown sugar malt bone..

Hops begin with sole citrus rind....a brief foray into some pine notes and then settles down spicy and earthy which really complements the malt load perfectly....just a hint of garlic on the late finish but it blends ok...

Body is right on....great drinker....a lot of flavor to this red ale..

ZAP, Aug 16, 2012

rob99er, Aug 16, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

Big light tan head that leaves a nice lacing above a clear burnt caramel colored beer.

A light rich caramel malt mixes very well with light citrus hops in the aroma.

Roasted caramel malts and citrus fruit hops taste is well blended but lighted than the aroma would have suggested.

A light dryish aftertaste that brings with it some of the light tastes of caramel and citrus on this medium bodied beer.

Not bad but was hoping for more from these guys.

LXIXME, Aug 16, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

randomjazzr, Aug 16, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -24.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours dark reddish amber with a medium fluffy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet toasty caramel/crystal malts and resiny hops.

The flavor is sweet toasted caramel and crystal malts with an earthy bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, it's OK and has some decent bitterness. I personally don't care for the biscuity malts or the hop flavors though.

Beaver13, Aug 16, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Zuidman, Aug 15, 2012

drewone, Aug 14, 2012

A - The color of the beer is Dark brown with deep red hues. Beautiful. There is a huge stream of bubbles rising up from the center of the glass. Its got a nice two finger tan head with remarkable retention. The lacing on this beer is amazing. Its sticky and curtain like.

S - The nose is bittersweet with some nice grainy backbone. I'm getting sweet toasted caramel, bitter orange rind, and pine. Very nice.

T - Actually picking up some coffee in the taste. Its mostly toasted malts with a grapefruit bitterness mid way through. Finish is pretty clean.

M - Light to medium bodied mouth feel. The carbonation somewhat lighter than expected. Feels alright for the most part.

O - Not really a fan of Red Ales but this one is alright with me. Pretty much my favorite so far. It for sure the most attractive.

depechemode1983, Aug 14, 2012