Red Hoptober - New Belgium Brewing

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 07-20-2012

Centennial, Cascade & Eldorado hops
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 801 | Reviews: 173

12oz. Bottle

A- dark copper color, thin sudsy head, leaves a good amount of lacing.

S- earthy, fresh with hints of citrus and toasted nuts.

T- nutty, with a nice spicy citrus hop profile. Grains taste of roasted nuts, Caramel and butterscotch.

M- smooth but in my opinion a bit under carbonated which gave it almost a slimy feel kinda strange but not all that bad.

O- very nice. When I cracked the bottle all I smelt was hops. Then I poured it and everything mixed together well. A brew with excellent balance but a strong flavor in each the hop and grain profile. It is a beer that is fit for a beer geek as the different flavors come one after another.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

First off I should state that I'm not a big Red Ale fan and never have been. It's probably my least favorite of brews, but sometimes I find one that I really like (like Duchess), and this new release from New Belgium is another exception.

A: Extremely red. Holy crap that's red. Awesome looking thick burgundy color with a medium-sized head that has out-of-this-world lacing.

S: Ruby-red citrus floral scent. Lots of hops present right away but not aggressive in any way. Somewhat tame but an overall sweet scented experience and I'm definitely ready to taste it.

T: Somewhat hoppy, but also malty for sure. Toffee and semi-sweet chocolate aftertones complete the dark red palette in a sensible manner. Actually tastes much more like an amber ale or even a slight pale ale more than a red brew. Very nice all the way down - there isn't one moment when the taste seems lackluster and this is definitely a solid 4.0 category.

M: Smooth, semi thick yet very fluid, and most of all... inviting. Feels like I could drink this next to a warm campfire as well as on the ski slopes. Doesn't quit this quality all the way down, either. Very nice!

Overall: The definition of a 4.0 beer in my opinion. As stated before I don't like red ales that much, but I do LOVE New Belgium and feel like I often may over-rate their releases. This time I feel I'm being subjectively fair and giving it exactly what it deserves. This is a great beer for the price (6.99-8.99 per 6 pack) and I recommend it for anyone who likes Ales of any type. GOOD STUFF!

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm quite impressed with this and will buy more....hop forward but backloaded with a nice dark toffee/brown sugar malt bone..

Hops begin with sole citrus rind....a brief foray into some pine notes and then settles down spicy and earthy which really complements the malt load perfectly....just a hint of garlic on the late finish but it blends ok...

Body is right on....great drinker....a lot of flavor to this red ale..

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

Big light tan head that leaves a nice lacing above a clear burnt caramel colored beer.

A light rich caramel malt mixes very well with light citrus hops in the aroma.

Roasted caramel malts and citrus fruit hops taste is well blended but lighted than the aroma would have suggested.

A light dryish aftertaste that brings with it some of the light tastes of caramel and citrus on this medium bodied beer.

Not bad but was hoping for more from these guys.

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours dark reddish amber with a medium fluffy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet toasty caramel/crystal malts and resiny hops.

The flavor is sweet toasted caramel and crystal malts with an earthy bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, it's OK and has some decent bitterness. I personally don't care for the biscuity malts or the hop flavors though.

4.01/5  rDev +6.4%

A - The color of the beer is Dark brown with deep red hues. Beautiful. There is a huge stream of bubbles rising up from the center of the glass. Its got a nice two finger tan head with remarkable retention. The lacing on this beer is amazing. Its sticky and curtain like.

S - The nose is bittersweet with some nice grainy backbone. I'm getting sweet toasted caramel, bitter orange rind, and pine. Very nice.

T - Actually picking up some coffee in the taste. Its mostly toasted malts with a grapefruit bitterness mid way through. Finish is pretty clean.

M - Light to medium bodied mouth feel. The carbonation somewhat lighter than expected. Feels alright for the most part.

O - Not really a fan of Red Ales but this one is alright with me. Pretty much my favorite so far. It for sure the most attractive.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Oh My Gawsh I wasn't paying much attention when I finished a Paulaner Munich and cranked open this bottle I got at Halfway Liquors in Hagerstown MD last night. It about tore my head off! "In a good way" (a la Zimmern & Bourdain lol).

Okay-- so this was a bold high-IBU IPA when it hit my lips, but they call it an American Amber? So be it. But for now it's my favorite new "IPA."

A= dark amber-red with a glistening appearance, fair head when poured but dissipated quickly to modest rimming.

S= gorgeous, seriously great. Very nice bold caramelized malts with a joyous blend of hop-head delight, yet a slight grassy nose that has me hyperventilating from sniffing.

T= the taste follows the nose although there's more of an English Bitters in the swallow here. The malts border on me saying "slightly chewy dough." There are complex flavor notes that elude me- slight fruity-ness? And the bold overheated grass effect that one gets in nose and mouth when scraping out the bottom of a lawn mower.

M= bitters and bitters but not acrid; some caramel and malts lingering.

O= a grand new addition!

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Deep amber mahogany color. Two and a half fingers of frothy tan head. Retention is decent and a moderate amount of lacing is left.

4.0 S: Big toastiness with plenty of caramel underneath and even some toffee. Berry fruitiness. Grassy and earthy hops. A bit resiny. It's a bit different than most ambers and I like it.

3.5 T: Tastes like the nose, but has less punch to it. Toasty with caramel and toffee. Berry and apple fruits. Grassy, earthy, and resiny hops.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy and smooth.

4.0 D: Tasty beer. I like big toastiness in my ambers, so this hit the spot with regard to that. Solid all around.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

I drank this one out of a snifter. The body has a interesting dark burnt plum hue, and the off white head hangs on with just a thin skim and leaves plenty of lacing.
The aroma is spicy and malty up front then right near the end of the nose you pick up the triple grouping of Centennial, Cascade and Eldorado hops.
The flavor is all over the place with burnt toffee, toasted bread, biscuit and molasses notes all balanced in the end with the citrusy American hop combo.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a dry finish.
Overall, you won't find a dull moment with this dark, rich, complex brew. Very satisfying. Glad I tried it.

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

The burnt umber colored body was clear, and topped by a two finger thick, foamy, beige head. I could smell the bright hops even before bringing the glass up to the nose. Once I did, the nose was dominated by piney, earthy, spicy, and musty hops. As anticipated, the taste was quite bitter and earthy, with a flash of brown sugar mid palette, and a carbonated, drying, finish. The body felt medium thick, oily, and soft. This is better than the typical New Belgium seasonal, and approaches the quality of the Lips of Faith series.

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Red Hoptober from New Belgium Brewing