Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration) - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration)Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration)

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: GilGarp on 08-04-2012

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

It has been quite a while since I have had a nice, super fresh IPA. I stopped by Brawleys in Charlotte NC and picked up a bottle of this from Mike.

Pours a perfect dark straw color with a billowy, thick, puffy white head that leaves generous amounts of lacing. The retention is unbelievable; the head stays about two fingers thick for nearly fice minutes and remains one finger thick for quite a bit longer.

Aroma is just as an IPA should be; hoppy. Citrus hops balanced with some piney hops. Very floral as well as hints of roses, strawberries, lime, orange peel, all are present.

This one just gets better in each category. I cant remember the las t beer I had that tasted "perfect" for me. Plenty of bitterness with the caramel sweetness taking a back seat, yet not too far gone as to not add any balance to the beer. Perfectly balanced with hoppiness and sweetness. More floralness in the flavor. Bitterness packs a punch and is almost like sucking on a lemon rind. Kind of resiny and oily but I dont mind that one bit.

This one blew me away. An absolutely remarkable beer that could have just made my top 5 of all time. Truly outstanding! Simple yet complex.

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured into a snifter this beer is golden-copped colored with a bit of hazy and a thick white head that diminished to a skim, but leaves nice lacing. The aroma of this beer is simply amazing. It is bursting with fresh hop aroma, gobs of pine, grapefruit, lemon, floral, spicy--it smells like a bag of hop pellets. This is not hyperbole--this is the most hoppy aroma I've encountered. The flavor is intensely hoppy--mainly pine and grapefruit, some lemon and tropical fruitiness--tastes like how it smells. The hop bitterness is high and assertive, yet not astringent. Beneath all the hops only a faint bit of sweetness from the malt shines, mainly at and after the swallow. The body is what you would expect from a DIPA--crisp, a touch chewy, and some booziness. Overall this is a world-class beer. I have a bomber and will seek many more. The closest beer to a pack of hop pellets I've had--and interesting changing flavors keeps the beer interesting--do not pass up!

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

I highly anticipated this collaboration having just moved from San Diego to Colorado. This really showcases what a DIPA should be all about in my opinion: complexity, balance and drinkability.

Super IPA really shines in the hop profile with tropical flavors of pineapple and some tangerine, citrus flavors. There is also some earthy, skunky, pine notes underneath.

There is a lot of malty sweetness to balance out the different hop flavors and that is what separates this beer and makes it memorable. A lot of DIPA's tend to be one trick ponies and just assault you with puckering alpha acids.

A hop monster should have many heads and for me being able to taste all of the layers while maintaining drinkability makes this one stand out. The mouthfeel is really exceptional and it tends to "melt" in your mouth the way the best Belgian beers do.

I've seen a few reviews comparing it to Pliny but for me I would choose this. Pliny is a great beer but there are DIPA's out there that have surpassed it in my opinion, this being one of them. A great welcome to Colorado!

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a bomber into a New Belgium tulip. You know it's a good ipa when you get a whiff on pouring. Nice slightly off white head with good retention and very good lacing. It seems to coat the inside of the glass. Clear slightly burnt orange color. Looks like an ipa.

Smell is really nice. Malty slightly hoppy sweet. Orange tangerine seem to dominate.

I really like the taste. Citrus hops to start with a muted orange slice candy taste in the middle and a lingering citrus hop finish. Very different from the ipas I usually like. It doesn't whack you in the head with hops but it is a really good different taste. The alcohol is very well hidden but certainly there.

Mouthfeel is very good. Oily hops and good carbonation. A perfect match to the taste.

Overall this is my favorite New Belgium beer. I really like the taste and mouthfeel. It's a very different but great ipa.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Enjoyed on tap at Lips of Faith Tap Takeover at Harry's Hofbrau San Jose, CA 8/29/12

A - Golden copper color, fluffy white head, lowish carbonation

S - Very pungent pine, tropical fruit, cotton candy, some grass. Unbelievably strong aroma from this one. Very fresh.

T - Aggressive bitterness supports sweet and resinous hop flavors. A lot of descriptors could be used here but suffice it to say the taste is just very, very fresh hoppiness and not much else. I nursed this for a while and I have to say it declined a bit sitting in the glass. That's the only thing I noticed that didn't like, and is probably unavoidable in this style.

M - Pretty hefty body balanced by bitterness and just enough carbonation.

D - 8oz. And I'm buzzed, so there's that... But as long as I can stay standing I can keep sipping this one.

O - Amazing beer. Need more of this!

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance was great, I can't complain. It had great lacing matched with a mostly transparent golden hue. Smells fantastic, like fruity caramel malty, fresh cut grass notes without the overly sweet tones. Taste is just as impressive. The malty caramel really comes through. It is hoppy but the bitterness is so well balanced that it lets the other more leathery darker flavors come through. Taste is like mixing caramel with some nutmeg, oatmeal, light fruit and some nice bitter hops. Mouthfeel leaves a sticky carbonated quality that really compliments the backend tastes. It's really nice and suits the beer.

Overall, I would love, love to have this beer on tap. I would definitely pick this up again. If I had a dipa tasting I would probably link this with Avery's Maharaja, and Great Divides Anniversary Dipa. Just don't ask me to choose whose is best.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From notes. Had on tap at the Bryant Lake Bowl.
L: Pours gold with a slight haze under a thin, off-white foam cap. S: Floral hops, light grains, citrus, lemon
T: Traces of muffin orange marmalade flavor, fruit, tart, with an assertive hop accent on the finish.
F: Very creamy, medium light body, medium high carbonation.
O: Deliscious and fruity.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

No freshness dating

A= Pours a nice bright golden amber color with a nice finger of thick off white head on it that holds great retention and lacing.

S= I can smell this baby from across the room. Very pungent of bright hops. Super resinous and piney with a little sweetness that falls in the back to make a sort of candy sweetness smell.

T= The taste is just a bruising hop bomb. Tons of bright flavors with pine and citrus being dominate. Loads of flowers and surprisingly little bitterness. The sweetness is much less dominate in the flavor than it was in the nose. Loads of wonderful hops.

M= Surprisingly light and bright. I'm use to IPAs with this much alcohol getting a little heavier but this is nice and light.

O= This is an amazing beer. These collaboration projects are really fun to try but I always find them a little underwhelming but this one is great. A tasty brew that packs a punch. Tames even the worst hop craving.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Pours orange to amber with a two-finger off-white head which dissipates slowly, leaving lots of lacing.

S: West Coast all the way on this one. Big floral and grapefruit notes dominate. Definitely some mango and passionfruit in there as well. Juicy, resiny hops. Not getting a malty backbone either. Just straight up hops.

T: Taste mirrors the smell. I get floral perfume up front, but the grapefruit represented in the nose comes across sweeter in the taste. Maybe a less intensely bitter citrus like clementine or orange. Bitter grapefruit on the sides of the tongue that lingers slightly.

M: Noticeably clean mouthfeel for an IPA this intense. I don't get that tackiness on the finish that often comes with really big IPAs. I daresay it's refreshing.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A friend and I stocked up on these when they hit LA. Had it on tap at Link Hops in Atwater, bottles from BevMo.

Appearance – Hazy orange/golden color. Thick head on my pour.

Smell – really impressive nose. Lots of hops, followed by grapefruit and malt.

Taste – hops are incredibly well balanced with a smooth/sweet malt. Similar style to Alpine's Duet.

Mouthfeel – Perfect amount of carbonation. Medium body.

Overall – I hope they make this one again soon!

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance is clear gold with an off-white head, very tight and creamy, leaving foamy lace. Love a lighter IPA...

Smell is big hops, lots of wood, pine, earth, and of course citrus - some orange marmalade.

Taste is massive hop dankness. Wow! This is what I want when I think IPA, blistering hop *flavor*, which in this case is heavy on the pine resin, a little citrus. There's some bready notes to the malt, which surprised me by the color, but which compliant the hops very nicely. Bitterness is firm. I'm more of a fruit/candy than resin IPA guy, but this one does the cone proud. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is oily as hell, and fairly light bodied.

Drinkability is killer. More please! This is about as good as it gets within the style, especially if you prefer it more dank than fruity. Home run.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Reviewing from notes - had this one on 11/3/12. This came in the typical Lips of Faith 22 oz. bomber. The pour revealed a clear and bright golden orange body. The white head left plenty of sticky lace.

The smell was citrus and pine. Earthy and leafy with hard candy qualities. A bit pungent like B.O. (in a good way) with floral notes too. Tobacco leaves and bread crust. Such a robust and complex aroma!

The taste was tropical fruits and marmalade. Some malt sweetness but the bitterness wins here. Citrus pith and aspirin. So tasty and complex. I would love to have this as a regular offering!

The mouthfeel was medium to full bodied with medium carbonation. Dialed right in the sweet spot.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Talk about hard to get! Went to the Alpine brewery thinking we could score a bottle or two and were told that New Belgium only sent them a case as they really weren't involved in the brewing process just the recipe was theirs (Alpine). Anyways.... the company I work for was able to score a case of 22oz bombers from one of our Anheuser Busch reps in LA. Even they were only given 4 cases total for a huge territory. Needless to say I was hyped to walk with 2 sealed bombers out of the deal and they were absolutely free to boot!

A: Pours a slightly hazed straw-like/orangish hue with a fatty white head that sits on top of the beer like ice cream in a root beer float. Ridiculous amounts of lacing from start to finish.

S: Orange blossoms, fresh cut grass, extremely chlorophyllic (Nelson hop???), crackery malt - nothing but earthy goodness here!

T: Wow - major hop attack that lingers with oily resins from the massive amounts of New Zealand hops - Nelson or the likes (???). Sweet and bitter grapefruit rinds, tropical fruit and sweet bready malt - extremely well balanced across the board!

M: Medium bodied, oily and resinous, perfect carbonation for the style.

Soooo bomb! It's what I would imagine an Imperial Nelson IPA would be like if Alpine brewed one - very tasty and dangerously easy drinking for a 9% ABV. So sad I only have one bottle left!

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

forgot about it in the fridge for a few months. frickin delicious beer. reminds me a bit of pliny the elder. super bitter as to be expected but interesting and lots of other flavors in their with the hops. definitely pick it up if you like ipas. claims to be a triple dry hopped imperial ipa. not overwhelming as the name made me think.

a- pretty clear, nice light amber

s- hoparomas, we debated the fruit that it smells like, pineapple guava? that feels like a stupid thing to say

t- sweet bitter, clean fresh pine trees, little sapplings that are popping out of the melting snow. doesn't taste like a 9% but feels like it.

m- short and sweet with a lingering bitterness

is there a beer like this or pliny the elder that is super strong and bitter in all the right ways that is year round?

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 Oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pours hazy golden orange with a one finger off white head. pretty good head retention. Slight alcohol legs.

S- Very sugary sweet, west coast style. Smells like candied versions of pineapples, grapefruits and lemon. Amazingly fruity and a ton of pine.

T- Very bitter at first. The beer sweeps over with a very strong citrus profile. There is a tone of pineapple, mango and lemon. This is also a very piney IPA, a lot of evergreen and mint flavors. Malts are not much to speak of here, They do add a sugary sweet aspect to the beer that extenuates the hop excellency.

M- A fairly light body, definitely a bitter hop forward DIPA. Its quite dry. Alcohol gives it a warming feel, I wouldn't want the beer to be any bigger.

O- This is an amazing IPA. It's A shame that Alpine doesn't quite make it to the rest of the country like NB because this beer is great.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Super floral scent atop a thick, chunky white head and crystal clear golden body. Sweet yet citric smell; fresh cut lemon; orange and tangerine. Soft, smooth, light feel. Crisp malt character, clean and dry with an interesting, edgy sharpness. Light biscuit malt flavor; beautiful soft, underlying bitterness.

A strangely mixed but deservedly supremely tasting DIPA. All the flavors seem to merge together into a whirlpool of extremely well-complemented wholesomeness. Light in in feel yet with a powerful and immensely satisfying taste across the board. An exceptional brew and well-worth finding a bottle or two...

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

Transparent-golden with about a finger of creamy head. Great lacing as I sip. Enticing. Smell has a wonderful balance of citrus and pine hoppiness. Spicy and earthy as well. Taste has citrus and pininess but I really like the spiciness that leads into the bitterness. The malt is there in the background, and has some presence. Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. Overall, I think this is as close as we'll get to a Pliny in Michigan. Great beer and I'm glad we are finally getting New Belgium in Michigan. If you're from Michigan look for this beer!

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a clear orange-gold with a dense white head that settles to a thin cap. Insane hop-forward aromas of mango, peach, pine, and grass. One of the hoppiest beers I've ever smelled. Taste is similarly hoppy, with more tropical fruit, light caramel and candy, resin, and citrus juice. I have no idea how this is so drinkable despite the 9.0% ABV, but I suspect it has something to do with the master craftsmen over at Alpine. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with a medium body and pleasantly creamy carbonation. Superb DIPA, definitely one of the best I've had this year!

650 mL bomber poured into a Mikasa tulip glass

Quick review:

A: Orange-tan in color, chilled haze, small but tighlty bubbled head leaving lacing everywhere

S: Orange rind, pine, honey-sweet. Lemon pepper and cracker-y notes meet alcohol. Huge bouquet.

T: Immediate orange and resiny hops oils up front. Tropical flavors, vinous resin...smashed up big malt sweetness. Combines to a ripe fruit undertone. Bitter aspects combine with alcohol but are tamed by hop esters. Flavors resonate, balanced finish.

M: Chewy, oily...9% seems low.

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

Purchased at Bottle Rev in Raleigh.

Honey gold pour with 2 fingers of medium cream head. Not much retention, but sheets lace well down the backside of the glass. Moderate to light carbonation.

Nose is a pineapple-grapefruit combination. Very bright and a bit grassy. Smells just like the juice combination my grandma used to make.

Taste is strong grapefruit with lots of hop esters. Touch of hop oil there and a good hint at the abv. Sweet up front with a nice grapefruit bitter finish. Still maintains balance.

Only slightly syrupy, even with the hop oils present.

Even at 9% this is a very drinkable dipa. I'd easily get this again and would put it in my top 10 for the year.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

A Pours a beautiful golden orange with a nice fluffy egg shell head.

S Tons of citrus, hops and malt. Not the most aromatic DIPA that I've smelled, but still a nice smelling beer.

T This is one of the most well balanced DIPA's I have had. grapefruit, orange, hops, malt all mesh at the front of the tongue. Slight bitter hops coats the tongue afterwards. This is damn tasty!

M Medium body with nice carbonation. Love the bitter ending and there is a coating left on your tongue afterwards.

O Holy smokes! I got this on a trip to Chicago and I had already bought a S-load of other beers at Three Floyds, so I only grabbed one of these. I am kicking myself for not taking another. This is one of the most balanced DIPA's I've had. So delicious and 9% ABV? I can't detect the booze at all. Wonderful collaboration!

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Purchased a bomber of this at Fish's in FoCo. A New Belgium and Alpine Brewery collaboration. Triple dry hopped, you can't really tell. The malt seems to overtake the hops a little too much for my liking, but that doesn't mean it's bad by any means. I feel it's a step in the right direction for New Belgium.
Golden, copper color.
.5-.25 inch head
Decent lacing
Doesn't leave you craving more, yet keeps you interested!
Solid beer.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Bomber picked up from New Belgium Brewery yesterday.

This is a joint effort with Alpine Beer Company who we know can brew some awesome double IPAs. This one was brewed and bottled in Fort Collins.

Super India Pale Ale is a slightly hazy golden yellow color with thick creamy head. It settles slowly and leaves some great lacing behind.

Aroma is wonderfully fresh and hoppy. This beer claims to be triple dry-hopped with Columbus, Amarillo, centennial, and simcoe with the latter being particularly noticible in the nose.

The flavor is excellent and easily the best hoppy beer that I've had from New Belgium. Citrus is huge but I also get some pine, and tabbouleh. Tons of bitterness and a malt bill that is there just to support the hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Balance isn't totally out of wack for an imperial IPA but certainly more bitter than sweet.

Overall a fantastic imperial IPA and one worth seeking out. Make sure you get one before they're all gone.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Never had any New Belgium or Alpine in my life, so I'm indebted to SatlyMalty for this great offering! Poured into a Saint Somewhere wine-style glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a light, clear amber color with a 1/2 inch white head that bears good retention time before becooming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and soft specs of surface foam. Thick, solid ring of fluffy lacing.

S- Tropical fruit aromas and pine are emanating from the glass that's a foot away from me on the table. Dank notes of lemon, pineapple and grapefruit. The hops are definitely of the citrus variety.

T- Tangy, fresh hop bite out of the gate that just oozes grapefruit notes. Bitter in the start but smooths out in the finish and still lingers a bit. The hops are so powerful that not much malt is detected, but who cares? Alcohol is phenomenally well-hidden.

M- Moderately sharp and juicy. Medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- There's a lot of hype surrounding this one but it's well-deserved. If you have a chance to try it, take it.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours nice golden color, two finger thick frothy head.
This is great smelling to me. Pineapple, apricots, hops. Citrus.
The taste is bitter up front then with a blast of hops and citrus or mango. Light resin. A lot going on here with the four different hops used (as per the bottle description). Any malt lay there lightly. Pine and citrus dominates. Nice work with the hop varieties used.
The pine lingers in my mouth. Starts sweet, finishes bitter/dry. Very easy sipping here, although the aftertaste is curious.
Overall, this is a brew I'd pick up again. I wish Alpine's lineup was normally distributed to Texas. The hops used are tasty, and even though it's a big beer it drinks easy for hopheads.

Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration) from New Belgium Brewing