Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration) - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration)Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration)

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 08-04-2012)

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

1.75/5  rDev -58.5%

2.43/5  rDev -42.4%

22oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a clear golden color with two fingers of pillowy white foam. Great retention.

S: Piney, Grapefruity, and resiny hops up front with a bit of caramel sweetness in the background. The hop aroma is a bit too much on the resiny side, though. It's quite pungent.

T: Overwhelmingly resiny hops with a bit of piney hops behind. I get a good amount of caramel sweetness to balance. I am not a fan of the hop profile here at all, though. Very pungent and not very pleasant in my opinion.

M: A bit on the thick side with very nice carbonation.

O: I'm quite disappointed with this. The malt base is nice, but the hops kind of taste like rubber. I love Alpine IPAs, so that makes it even more disappointing. I'm surprised so many people have favorably reviewed this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

Bomber bottle. Decanted into a 0.47l oversized snifter.
Appearance: Beautiful, light amber color. Crystal clear.
Smell: Strong citrus aroma. A little bitter and pithy. Very inviting.
Taste: Hmmmm… I’m not sure I expected this. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either. I’ve never described a beer like this, but it almost tastes like Top Ramen? Definitely bready and salty. Weird. Pretty decent bitterness, but I’m not crazy about the malt bill. There’s a question mark hovering over my head.
Mouthfeel: Good.
Overall: My expectations were really high, but this is a bit of a letdown. I can’t get past the weird malt flavor. For me, it kills what would otherwise be a very nice IPA.

3.03/5  rDev -28.2%

Served in tulip. Poured a clean, clear light gold color with 3/4 inch of white head that had good retention and lacing.

The aroma was mostly piney hops, with some citrusy aspects, and no real malt noticeable in the nose. On the tongue, it was the same story, no malt to speak of, pine and citrus hops providing the only notable flavors.

The body was too thin for me, I almost dinged it another half-point, it was just lacking in substance. Drinkability was good, watery as it was of course it went down easy and smooth. Overall, an OK brew that I found to be on the meh side of the scale. Give it a shot if you see it, or don't.

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

I think I'm the only one who does not like this beer. There is way too much going on. With the first sip, I could tell that this wasn't my favorite. Im not sure if its the kind of hops that is being used or what.

The aftertaste just didn't sit well with me and that being said, it stuck around way too long. This is one beer I will not be revisiting. Looks like I'm definitely in the minority here.

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours light golden, good carbonation, IPA looking.

Smells are pineapple IPA

Tastes are pineapple-y IPA with some floral notes. Decent, nothing more. More sugary malts than I wanted mixed in with the sweet fruits.

Mouthfeel is heavier than it should be, not enough resin or bitter zesty bite. Your palate is safe here.

Passable IPA, nothing memorable. No need to seek it out. Alpine's normal lineup is better.
Reminded me of Oracle, which I didn't like.

3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

A: pours a nice solid orange color, with about 1/2 fingers worth of very slight tannish/white head formation, that dissipated rather quickly. there is still some transparency, as you can see the outline of your fingers from behind the glass.

S: something seems awefully wrong here. i get a big blast of spiciness mixed with spoiled pineapple juice. there is some hints of tropical fruits that lie in the background, and some type of oil. it honestly smells like baby food. there is a decent alcohol burn to it as well. balance is wayyyy off (I'm being generous with this score)

T: much more appealing that the smell. i get a big malty backbone, resin, oil, hops, flowers, peat, and a touch of citrus and pineapple.

M: on the lighter side of medium bodied, it leaves a slight alcohol tingle on the gums and a piney and peat aspect on the palate

O: something is not right with this brew. and I can't find a bottled on date, but I feel like this one has fallen off for receiving such high reviews. (I did have one Zombie Dust before this, which I suppose could have thrown my taste buds off, but I really don't think that is the case).

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration) from New Belgium Brewing