Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration) - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration)Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration)

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: GilGarp on 08-04-2012

« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ratings: 798 | Reviews: 233
4.59/5  rDev +8.8%

650 mL bomber poured into a Mikasa tulip glass

Quick review:

A: Orange-tan in color, chilled haze, small but tighlty bubbled head leaving lacing everywhere

S: Orange rind, pine, honey-sweet. Lemon pepper and cracker-y notes meet alcohol. Huge bouquet.

T: Immediate orange and resiny hops oils up front. Tropical flavors, vinous resin...smashed up big malt sweetness. Combines to a ripe fruit undertone. Bitter aspects combine with alcohol but are tamed by hop esters. Flavors resonate, balanced finish.

M: Chewy, oily...9% seems low.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours an orangey copper with a thick, foamy thumbs width white head. Wonderful retention and lacing. A beautiful aroma; a huge hit of pine hits first and then flows into a beautifully sweet fruity (pineapple, clementines and peaches) finish. A touch of malt hides underneath everything providing just a touch of some breadiness. Honestly, everything I could want in an aroma for a IIPA. Favor follows suit pretty much to a 'T' with a decent amount of bitterness. A nice smooth, creamy mouthfeel with just the right amount of activity. Overall, very nice. I usually don't care for piney/resiny IPA's but it worked perfectly in this beer, and I'd have to imagine the freshness of this plays a big part in it.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Purchased a bomber of this at Fish's in FoCo. A New Belgium and Alpine Brewery collaboration. Triple dry hopped, you can't really tell. The malt seems to overtake the hops a little too much for my liking, but that doesn't mean it's bad by any means. I feel it's a step in the right direction for New Belgium.
Golden, copper color.
.5-.25 inch head
Decent lacing
Doesn't leave you craving more, yet keeps you interested!
Solid beer.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

I'm barely familiar with Alpine and very familiar with New Belgium. Having said that and -- as an IPA fan-- I was excited to try this beer, knowing that Alpine would bring their IPA expertise into the effort.

This beer did not disappoint. Semi-dank and piney smell. The taste delivers with considerable bitterness and hops. Enough malt to balance things out.

There's a hint of tropical-fruits and of stickiness on the mouth-feel. It doesn't go as far with that as I would like, but that's a minor complaint. A very fine beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer reminds me a lot of 2011 Yulesmith Summer from Alesmith. I loved that beer - totally different than the mess released this year.

A: The beer is a clear copper color and had a huge head after a fairly aggressive pour that lasted a few minutes.

S: One thing I know I can pick out is Amarillo on the nose, since I know that is what I get from Sculpin. Some similarities there.

T: Hop Profile is Summer Yulesmith 2011, with not as much earthiness in the finish - yeast strain differences?

M: Medium body, resinous. Slight booziness but hell it's 9.0 ABV.

I liked it. Didn't love.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

First ever BA review!!

Picked this guy up today at Tasty Beverage in Raleigh NC.

Pours a golden yellow with a slight haze and a nice thick, creamy head. Smells very very fresh and hoppy, with a good blend of grapefruit/grass smells. The taste surprised me. I thought It would be less balanced. I've never been a fan of NB IPAs, but this one is awesome. Very grassy and citrusy up front and finishes with a good blend of pine and resin mixed with a very slight alcohol bite.

Very drinkable, although at $10 a bottle I doubt I will be drinking a lot of these! Still, I'd have to rate this as one of my top Double IPAs

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%

Purchased at Bottle Rev in Raleigh.

Honey gold pour with 2 fingers of medium cream head. Not much retention, but sheets lace well down the backside of the glass. Moderate to light carbonation.

Nose is a pineapple-grapefruit combination. Very bright and a bit grassy. Smells just like the juice combination my grandma used to make.

Taste is strong grapefruit with lots of hop esters. Touch of hop oil there and a good hint at the abv. Sweet up front with a nice grapefruit bitter finish. Still maintains balance.

Only slightly syrupy, even with the hop oils present.

Even at 9% this is a very drinkable dipa. I'd easily get this again and would put it in my top 10 for the year.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

Bomber picked up from New Belgium Brewery yesterday.

This is a joint effort with Alpine Beer Company who we know can brew some awesome double IPAs. This one was brewed and bottled in Fort Collins.

Super India Pale Ale is a slightly hazy golden yellow color with thick creamy head. It settles slowly and leaves some great lacing behind.

Aroma is wonderfully fresh and hoppy. This beer claims to be triple dry-hopped with Columbus, Amarillo, centennial, and simcoe with the latter being particularly noticible in the nose.

The flavor is excellent and easily the best hoppy beer that I've had from New Belgium. Citrus is huge but I also get some pine, and tabbouleh. Tons of bitterness and a malt bill that is there just to support the hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Balance isn't totally out of wack for an imperial IPA but certainly more bitter than sweet.

Overall a fantastic imperial IPA and one worth seeking out. Make sure you get one before they're all gone.

« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration) from New Belgium Brewing