Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate StoutLips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: denver10 on 10-31-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout from the Lips of Faith series for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. It's a cold and windy night in Mid Michigan and an Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout sounds pretty good, this is my first beer from New Belgium's Lips of Faith Series, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an snifter.

A- The label looks good and it has nice pop art vibe to it. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, almost perfect, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart some grainy and roasted malt aromas. Up next comes the coffee and chocolate which show up very nicely and they make for a nice 50/50 blend that has an aroma that's similar to a mocha latte. The aroma is very good and just as advertised, I really enjoy it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy and medium roasted malt flavor. Up next comes the coffee and chocolate, the coffee seems to overpower the chocolate slightly but they still show up nicely and still remind me of a mocha latte . On the finish I pick up hardly any alcohol with a lighter medium amount of astringent coffee like bitterness that is just the right amount and it works well with this beer and it had a roasted malt and very coffee like aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, I enjoyed it a good deal and it was just as advertised.

M- Very smooth, creamy, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and worked well with this beer, but I thought it could be just a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and pretty good example of the style, this beer exceeded my expectations and I think it could hold it's own against Founders Breakfast Stout, I really enjoyed this beer. This beer had good drinkability to it, it was very smooth with lots of nice rich flavors to hold my attention, I wouldn't rule out drinking a second bomber of this stuff and that's pretty rare for me with this style, I would love to have a bottle to share around the campfire this summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good, this is the best looking stout that I've seen in awhile. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but it think it would be a little better if it was just a little thicker. I would buy this beer again, when FBS dries up this would be a nice alternative and I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee and chocolate stouts and I thought it was also priced well which was an added bonus. All in all I was very happy with this beer, I didn't know what to expect from the Lips of Faith Series, but this turned out to be a hit and I really enjoyed drinking it. Great Job New Belgium, you can be sure that I will be checking out much more of the Lips of Faith Series.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer is coffee black with a mocha head that turns to patchy film, light lacing.

The aroma has an arid, chalky cocoa to it, as well as coffee grounds, raisins, faint alcohol.

The taste starts out alcoholic then goes to bitter dark chocolate followed with a really good coffee grind bitterness. The coffee is really in this taste. The finish is sharp, minty, and dry.

Mouthfeel is dry and medium bodied.

Overall, I enjoyed this a lot, as the coffee and chocolate were brought out well.

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout from New Belgium Brewing