Lips Of Faith - Biere De Garde - New Belgium Brewing

Beer added by: WastingFreetime on 11-14-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 329 | Reviews: 72
3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

"Famous in Michigan for their Farmhouse Ales, our friends at Brewery Vivant introduced us to their Biere De Garde Ale yeast strain. From there, we imagined a slightly tart, intentionally dry beer with hints of bergamot citrus that pairs perfectly with French cheeses." Brewed in the style of a Biere de Garde. Released in 22 oz. bottles and limited draft, this is a collaboration ale between New Belgium and Brewery Vivant, a one-off release in the Lips of Faith Series.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a New Belgium Globe glass. Served above 52 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance)Pours a golden-white head of a frothy foam consistency over a pale honey amber body with moderate haziness and pulpy sediment. Carbonation is plentiful and spirited. Retention is good, lacing is light and spotty. 4.25

(Smell) Pale cracker malt and light cereal wheat with a reserved sweetness, accented by hints of light coriander spice and citrus peel. Mild grassy and peppery hop aromas with much of the bitterness coming from spice and rind notes. Potency is medium. 3.75

(Taste) Very light wheat and grainy pilsner malt up front joined by a subtle spiciness, finishing with a lingering dryness of cracker and pithy orange rind. Light, dry grape character suggests the Biere De Garde yeast strain. Markedly dry with an understated sweetness throughout. Fairly clean with mild, accessible flavors. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is light, peppery, chalky dry. Carbonation is moderate, generating a medium crispness. Body is shy of medium for the style, light/medium overall. Balance is slightly earthy and spicy bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is mild, and there are no off characters. 3.5

(Overall) Biere De Garde is a curious peek into a seldom brewed French style of ale, and Brewery Vivant sees it done fairly close to style. Some drinkers may be put off with the striking dryness of the beer and the limitations of flavor, but the yeast character as well as the orange peel generates enough interesting flavor to keep this beer moderately drinkable. 3.75

New Belgium Brewing's
Biere De Garde Ale (With Brewery Vivant)
3.64/5.00

3.25/5  rDev -11%

A little too much orange flavor. Sweet mid drink and slightly dry in the finish. Heavy body seems to clash with the citrus fruit flavor.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bomber with no dating that I can see, but if I remember correctly, this was a one-off brew that was produced back in October 2012, so this bottle is about 16 months old.

Appearance - Initially pours a glowing, hazy golden orange that resembles honey. After a bit of time, the haze seems to clear up a bit, revealing a bit more translucence to the beer. Atop the body sits a one finger head the color of bright white that dissipates to a mere ringlet around the edge with a small bit of film across part of the top of the beer. Tiny wisps of silkworm web lacing stick to the sides of the glass in places.

Smell - I'm honestly surprised by how prevalent the aroma of orange is on the nose given the amount of time that's passed. Clementine, orange juice and fresh-peeled flesh along with some hints of nectarine, and a distinct ester astringency as well. There is also a hint of spice and flatbread characteristic from the yeast, I presume. After a little warmth, there is a green apple, vinous component to the smell, much like you might get from a steel-tank chardonnay or a sauvignon blanc.

Taste - The taste of this beer is very much in line with the aroma--no surprises. A lot of the same elements of orange peel and golden delicious apples, as well as a noticeable ester quality. Very crisp and bright on initial pour, but some warmth increases the presence of the malt, with club cracker and graham coming through a bit alongside notes of baking spices In spite of the fruit and spiciness of this beer, the finish is surprisingly dry.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and moderate carbonation, with a clean finish that doesn't have any lingering bitterness or off flavors. I wouldn't mind if it had a little more heft to it.

Overall, I'm impressed with how this beer has developed. I opened a bottle back in May 2013 and while I didn't take down any notes, I don't remember being terribly impressed with the beer. Of course, I also have had a lot more practice reviewing since then, so it's possible I've become a bit better at picking out more subtle aromas and flavors. Either way, this is an excellent collaboration between New Belgium and Brewery Vivant, and in a style that I've not had the opportunity to try much of; well done.

4.64/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A-The color of hand squeezed orange juice. Light orange, yellow almost. Clarity in body, yet has a slight murkiness as well. Thick snow-white frothy head. Great foamy lacing. Lively carbonation.

S-Fresh squeezed orange. Bergamot orange leads into Earl Grey tea. Champagne. Mimosa. Soapy. Cupcake.

T-Lush sour juicy orange. Vanilla. Bergamot. Earl Grey. Sweet sugary bread. Frosted flavors. Fruit Loops.

M-Never experienced this so delicate, tender, fine sensation. Fragile softness. Low, light body. Not thin or watery, just, SOFT. Medium carbonation. Slight spicy finish reminiscent of cinnamon on your tongue. Dry sour finish, but the flavor makes your palate salivate for more. Bitters sprinkled throughout. Sour cheesy yeasty aftertaste, like yogurt or cottage cheese mixed with pineapple or peaches.

O-A unique beer. A style that needs to be brewed more, so much going on with this Biere de Garde. The softest LIQUID I have ever had the pleasure of feeling. I like the cheesy, musty qualities to this beer, propelling the brew into a true food, not just beer.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A- fluffy, gaseous and bubbly head... Two fingers thick... Dark golden wheat-colored.... The beer is not cloudy, but yet it is opaque.... After the head dissipates, it leaves plenty of lace along the glass's sides and atop the liquid.

S- Tart, earthy, herbal, yeasty, sour fruit, apricot, something reminiscent of citrus

T- yeasty, slight hint of salt, earthy fruit, some sweetness that is a bit off-putting and syrupy, the orange peel seems to resemble something designed more to be an aroma

M- pleasantly sweet and tart initially, but the orange peel makes for something cloying and creates a thick, spicy middle that seems out of place in this otherwise light, easy-drinking beer.

O- A decent beer with some positive attributes, but the orange peel, the centerpiece of this beer, proved to also be its biggest hindrance.

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Drank from a bomber. Pours a bright, slightly-cloudy gold. A small white head. Very aromatic. Papaya, honeydew, bread dough and phenol. A touch of lemon grass. A hint of funkiness. The taste is sweet with a little pancake batter and orange soda. Some paper napkin dries out the finish. Medium-bodied, with a mildly biting mouthfeel. Love it. I want to make a beer like this someday!

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very pale ale looking with a somewhat clear, nectarine colored pour. Faint haze, but still mostly clear. The head is a nice contrasting bright white and has decent retention. A swirl kicks the bubbles back into motion and leaves a spotty lace.

I'm really undecided on the scent. It's got a German-ish, European smell, which I don't care much for, but at the same time, it's got some Belgo yeasty notes and American citrus smells as well. As it warms, the alcohol and peppery yeast come thru.

The taste is pretty spectacular. It's alcohol forward, along with plenty of malt to offset the yeast and citrus. Complex taste and feel.

Complexion at its finest with sweetness up front, spicy comes on mid-sip, then a savory hop bitterness and acidic tropical fruit feel in the dry, spicy finish. Alcohol and heat from the hops lingers well into the finish. Medium body.

The beer didn't do much for me early on, but the flavor more than made up for it. It's a smooth beer, an easy drinker, despite some aggressive ingredients. Your palate is constantly being challenged.

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours with a light smooth head. Some leveled lacing on the sides of the glass. Above average active carbonation while drinking. Some floating sediment in the glass. Light golden color to the brew.

Smell: The front is a soft soapy feeling of leafy greens, cloves, and a medicinal aroma. The orange peels add a very sour character. The yeast is bright and potent.

Taste: Follow the front of the aroma very closely. The soapy leafy greens are felt right away. The orange peel is felt much more in the body in a pretty authentic way. Candied sweetness finishes this beer off.

Mouthfeel: Light and airy. Yeast lacing left behind on the palate.

Overall: Better then I expected. I've had three of these Lips of Faith beers now and they all have certainly been unique. Not exactly great beers but an interesting drinking experience.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in 10oz goblet. Poured a lightly hazy golden yellow color with just a thin cap of white head that had no retention and very light lacing.

The aroma was a very subdued grain scent that had a slight tartness. There was no hop, yeast, or spice flavor. The taste was, a bit better defined than the aroma, but pretty much the same. Light grain and a lingering tartness at the back were the most notable features.

The body seemed a bit thin for the style to me, but had a nice, semi-dry finish. Drinkability was OK, mine was gone easily enough, but I wasn't left wanting another. Overall, a decent, but unspectacular, brew. Much like a lot of NB's beers.

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

From a 650 ml bomber into a tulip glass.

A-A normal pour produces a thin white head with poor retention. The brew is golden in color and clear. There is a bit of lace on the glass towards the end.

S-The smell is sort of sweet and doughy with light spice and pale pils-like malts. The alcohol is well-concealed for 9%. The advertised orange peel comes through less like sweet citrus/orange and more like pithy, spicy bitterness. Kind of uninspiring on the nose.

T-The taste is similar to the smell. The body is doughy, semi-sweet, and lightly fruity. Alcohol remains pretty well-concealed, but occasionally peaks through with fruity warmth. Orange flavors are spicy and bitter.

M-The feel is nice with a softer carbonation, medium heft, and a touch of slickness on the finish.

O-I have had better New Belgium beers. There is not any one thing wrong with this beer, but the whole package just doesn't deliver much flavor. I feel like the base is too doughy and cloying and there is not enough grass/straw/spice to offset the sweetness. The odd orange flavor did not help the situation, either.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber for $9. I've been wanting to try this for a while, but can never seem to reconcile spending $9 on essentially two beers (of course, I did spend $10 on two beers at a bar last night before tip...hmmm). We'll see how this one goes.

Poured into a Chimay goblet, light orange with some yeast floaters. The initial head was airy and quickly bubbled away, and a denser, smaller island of bubbles is piling up in the center of the glass.

Definitely get the citrus in the nose - bottle says it's brewed with orange peels. Also definitely get it in the flavor - holy orange peels! It's actually really, really orangey. Do I like that? I'm not sure that I've ever tasted anything quite like it. Yes, I've decided I do like it. There's also almost some kind of woody-wine flavor to it as it warms up more. Really kind of fascinating flavor profile. The alcohol is also not as subdued as some other 9%-ers I've had, and I like that, too.

Overall, I'd recommend it. I don't know if I would get it again (I usually don't buy bombers, anyway - maybe if I did I'd go for round two), but I'm glad I finally got to try it. Really nice if you want to try something a bit different.

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Biere De Garde from their Lips of Faith series last month for 8.99 at The Lager Mill. This beer was from when New Belgium collaborated with Brewery Vivant last year, I really like the beer that Brewery Vivant put out from that collaboration, Escoffier, and since I liked that beer so much I thought I would try the one that New Belgium put out, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The bottle looks pretty good, just like most beers from the Lips of Faith series, I like the nod to Brewery Vivant with the nice looking roosters. It poured a fairly hazy yellow color that took on some nice golden hues when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was good and the head and lacing were very good, I liked the way it looked.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a nice citrus aroma, I get a slight bit of lemon, but it's the orange rind that seems to stick out the most and it blends nicely with a medium barnyard funk aroma. After that I get a straw like aroma, with a good amount of bready malts with a light caramel malt aroma in the background. Towards the end I get a little more fruit with some lighter apple like aromas coming through. This beer had a good aroma, it fairly complex and nicely balanced, neither the orange rind or the barnyard funk were too overpowering.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice citrus fruit flavors, there's some lemon in the background, but it's the orange rinds that stick out the most, but they aren't overpowering. Up next comes a slightly lower amount of medium barnyard funk with some wet hay sticking out the most. Up next comes a nice honey flavor with some Belgian Witbier like spice with cloves sticking out the most. Towards the end I get a nice crisp apple and slight pear flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of light bitterness with a little bit of tartness to go with some orange rind, light barnyard funk, and apple coming through in the aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, it was pretty complex and it had a nice balance to it.

M- smooth, crisp, clean, refreshing, medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of the style, I don't have a ton of experience with this style, I like it, but there aren't too many Biere De Gardes available to me, so i try just about everyone I see and so far this is my favorite, I really liked how complex it was. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not filling, refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, it would be nice to have a bottle of this on a warm summer day and I wouldn't rule out drinking a couple bombers of this, I think it's a nice and refreshing summertime beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how balanced it was, neither the orange rinds or the barnyard funk were to overpowering, I really liked that. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I didn't like or would change. I would buy this beer again, if there's any left when I go to the store next time I'll get a bottle to throw in the cellar and see how it develops overtime, it was a little pricey, but it is 9% and I think it's worth the price, I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style or doesn't mind a little funk with their beer. All in all i was pretty happy with this beer, I still like Escoffier more, but this is still a fine beer that I enjoyed drinking. Brewery Vivant and New Belgium did a good job with this beer and I hope they come together to collaborate on some more beers in the future, nice work guys..

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle pouring into a large red wine glass.

Looks nice...lots of bubbles rising through the light copper bulb, forming a frothy off-white head.

Smells of citrus and funk, like the civic center farmer's market. Lemons fade into orange into barnyard hay.

Orange up front, followed quickly by some biting clove and spice. Some lingering boozy citrus flavors. Not overly funky as some can be.

Slightly astringent. While there is some detectable alcohol, I wouldn't have guessed it was as high as 9%(until I was almost through the bottle).

I'm not sure if I would buy it again, but wouldn't advise against trying it. Eric's Ale is still my favorite of the Lips of Faith series, but this is an interesting beer worth adding to an afternoon sampling of a few other beers and cheeses.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle.

Pours hazy gold with a copper hue and a short-lived off-white head of a half inch. A partial skim coat with zero lacing for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with caramel-spiked malt with apples and citrus. Some faint burnt rubber and cloves follow through.

Medium bodied with a slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

Sweet malt, apples, and melons start the palate. Shades of orange and pears follow though.

Finishes with caramel-coated apples and a boozy warmth.

The orange peel is overshadowed by the malt and burnt rubber overtone and the carbonation is seriously lacking for the style. A bit of a miss on this one.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber poured into tulip.

A: Clear, bright gold color with a thick, but fairly quickly receding white head and a bunch of sediment floating about. However, there is some lively carbonation.

S: Smells of spice, alcohol, white grape, orange, honey and yeast, although the alcohol is the most overpowering aspect.

T: Thankfully, the powerful alcohol profile doesn't make its way into the taste. The profile here is pretty complex, and it's tough to pick out specific flavors. Says it's brewed with orange peel, but it's a pretty dry and not very estery at all, actually. There's a heavy dollop of honey along with some Belgian spices, spicy hops, a bit of alcohol on the back with a bit of orange zest, which is the only indication that it was brewed with orange peel.

M: Mouthfeel is good for the style and about what you'd expect. Pretty light and lively...carbonation is high. Easy enough to drink, although you can definitely tell it's a higher ABV beer.

O: Overall, this is a pretty decent beer. It's a good Belgian strong ale with a twist of orange zest at the end. For a Biere de Garde, it's above average, but not amazing. Since it's a one time only beer, it would probably be worth buying if you run across it. This is one of the stronger outings by New Belgium's Lips of Faith line.

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange with a two-finger foamy white head. Lots of sticky lacing.

S - Doughy yeast, sour orange peel, and a mild earthiness.

T - Starts off sweet with a nice blend of malt and juicy orange. There is a yeasty cracker like flavor mid-palate. Finish is bitter orange peel and warming alcohol.

M - Medium bodied with high carbonation. Sticky dry finish.

O - This is a decent beer. Tasty, but nothing mind blowing.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

22 ounce bottle into signature globe glass, bottled on 10/3/2012. Pours lightly cloudy golden amber color with a 1 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of pear, apple, grape, orange peel, honey, bread, herbal, clove, pepper, light bubblegum, light funk, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/spicy esters with malt notes. Taste of pear, apple, grape, orange peel, herbal, honey, bread, clove, pepper, light bubblegum, light funk, and yeast earthiness. Slight earthy tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruits, orange peel, honey, bread, herbal, clove, pepper, light bubblegum, light funk, and earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity of fruity/spicy ester flavors with good malt balance; and no cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium body; with a moderately slick and lightly crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very nice Biere de Garde style. Good balance and complexity of fruity, spicy, and malt flavors; and quite smooth to sip on. A very enjoyable offering.

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I highly enjoyed this beer. The appearance had a honey golden hue, slightly cloudy. The use of orange peel was not overpowering but utilized perfectly. The taste was crisp with a clean finish but had some creamy tones as well. This is more of a light and perfect for summer beer and I would definitely have it again.

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Nice pale amber color. Thought from the style it would be cloudier.

S - Smell of orange peel is faint.

T - Sweet notes up front are followed nicely by sour/tart notes. You can taste the orange peel at the very end before the alcohol taste kicks in. Finish is a little strong for only 9% ABV.

M - Somewhat thin feeling when sitting on the tongue but more malt may not go well with the flavor profile.

O - Not my favorite Lips of Faith beer, but still worth a try if you like Belgian style ales.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

Served on tap into a 12oz pilsner-style glass at Vino's on 4/18/13. Pours a pale straw color with a lot of chill haze that clears a bit as the beer warms a tad. The head was very thin and the lacing was minimal (not unexpected from the style). The nose was very delicate and not very active overall. There was the faint smells of spicy and grassy smells with a touch of clove on the nose; maybe some peppercorn burn to the nose as well. There was some bready sweet malt there as well. The taste was pretty much the same. There was some spicy hops flavor to it, but it was more leaning toward the floral side. There was some definite taste of some orange pekoe tea to the brew. The beer finished very, very dry and the alcohol was very present with a strong burn; seemed a little out of place. Overall, a rather average brew for the Lips of Faith series.

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from beastmaster. Pours clear light golden with a healthy white head. Aroma of straw, honey, and citrus zest. Straw-honey-orange peel flavor, relatively easy going down, with a clean finish. Like marmalade but just a hint too sweet. Light mouthfeel & medium carbonation. Easy drinking fun beer.

3.39/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in chalice.

Appearance-
A hazy yellow.

Smell-
Not a lot of the orange I was suspecting, and it almost smells like a Hofbrau lager.

Taste-
Very demure taste for an ale, bready, and a wisp of orange peel at the end.

Mouthfeel-
Well carbonated, a slight sweet linger.

Overall-
Certainly not bad, but nothing special.

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The collaborative efforts of New Belgium and Brewery Vivant converge to pull the declining Biere de Garde style out of extinction. The often lager-inspired farmhouse-style ale is largely misunderstood and under-represented even in France and the low lands of Belgium. But these Belgian-influenced brewers capture the taste with authenticity and grace.

Deep straw abd honey-gold in color, the ale exhibits a mild yeasty haze that diffuses its transparity. As it builds a short statured, short lived head, its character is somewhat fizzy and it recedes into a translucent sheet of foam. Intricate lacing provides much more aesthetic value than its foam stance suggested.

Heady aromas of bread dough, yeast extract and a grainy-sweet back allow for an overall scent of baking breads, musty grain, and freshly bailed hay. But its the overtones of zesty orange peel that steals the show, even as the scent of light butter, cork, and cellar-like must keeps the earthy malt scents complex.

Its dense pilsner malt taste reminds me of how close that barley comes to making enriched baking bread- its doughy-sweet, tangy, and earthy taste is raw and starchy. Balanced with medium acidity, the ale takes on cidery taste before diving head on into the bold orange peel additions. Buttery taste fuses with light honey and grain for a finish that's earthen with dusty wood, cumin, and white pepper.

Its smooth, medium body takes off with an oily-sweet film of citrus-infused olive oil. The buttery slickness allows the malt sweetness to linger deep into finish, where alcohol warmth, semi-dryness, and racy carbonation balances against the malt and oil.

The beer really captures all of the taste of traditional Biere de Garde, however its brevity of alcohol, brash orange peel use, and lack of full dryness keeps the beer simplified and less characterful than those from the French farmlands. This is one of those styles that have a soft spot in my heart and I root for them, regardless of the brewers behind the scenes.

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%

Good, solid, flavourful beer. What was odd about it was trying to decide whether it was refreshing or not. All of the flavours were very fresh and refreshing, so were very delicious, but the beer itself was yeasty to the point of frothiness in a very unrefreshing way. So, despite all those fresh citrus and hop flavours that were nonetheless delicious, I would have to find new scenarios in which to drink this because normally I only drink beers with those flavours in the summer when it's hot. This, I would never want to drink if it were hot. It would be cloyingly frothy and unsatisfying. This is definitely a late-night beer, but with a zesty, summery taste. An interesting meeting of worlds. Give it a try if you're in the mood for something new and interesting.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Funny enough this looks like the Midas Touch beer I sampled the other night (surely the only similarity, just saying). Golden yellow body with a white finger of a head that all but settles to nothing.
Smells unique to me. Peaches, pear, citrusy. Tart to the nose for sure, but also a sourness i dont care for.
Upon taste I'm greeted with the orange tart but it's the other rustic grainy notes that my pallet's not quite agreeing with. Musty, biscuity, tangy, lemon-grassy but on the bland side.
The more i sipped this i realized that im not liking is the lemongrass taste which i believe is a result of the orange rind playing its role. Harsh. If that flavoring took more of a backseat it seems this would be easier to drink.

to view more.