Lips Of Faith - Biere De Garde - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Bière de Garde |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: WastingFreetime on 11-14-2012)

cackalacky, Jul 03, 2013

kristougher, Jul 02, 2013

mendvicdog, Jul 02, 2013

Kunstman, Jun 29, 2013

hellhammermario, Jun 27, 2013

Geuzedad, Jun 23, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

From a 650 ml bomber into a tulip glass.

A-A normal pour produces a thin white head with poor retention. The brew is golden in color and clear. There is a bit of lace on the glass towards the end.

S-The smell is sort of sweet and doughy with light spice and pale pils-like malts. The alcohol is well-concealed for 9%. The advertised orange peel comes through less like sweet citrus/orange and more like pithy, spicy bitterness. Kind of uninspiring on the nose.

T-The taste is similar to the smell. The body is doughy, semi-sweet, and lightly fruity. Alcohol remains pretty well-concealed, but occasionally peaks through with fruity warmth. Orange flavors are spicy and bitter.

M-The feel is nice with a softer carbonation, medium heft, and a touch of slickness on the finish.

O-I have had better New Belgium beers. There is not any one thing wrong with this beer, but the whole package just doesn't deliver much flavor. I feel like the base is too doughy and cloying and there is not enough grass/straw/spice to offset the sweetness. The odd orange flavor did not help the situation, either.

spoony, Jun 18, 2013

AlexChillton, Jun 15, 2013

doctorb, Jun 13, 2013

savagepm, Jun 10, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber for $9. I've been wanting to try this for a while, but can never seem to reconcile spending $9 on essentially two beers (of course, I did spend $10 on two beers at a bar last night before tip...hmmm). We'll see how this one goes.

Poured into a Chimay goblet, light orange with some yeast floaters. The initial head was airy and quickly bubbled away, and a denser, smaller island of bubbles is piling up in the center of the glass.

Definitely get the citrus in the nose - bottle says it's brewed with orange peels. Also definitely get it in the flavor - holy orange peels! It's actually really, really orangey. Do I like that? I'm not sure that I've ever tasted anything quite like it. Yes, I've decided I do like it. There's also almost some kind of woody-wine flavor to it as it warms up more. Really kind of fascinating flavor profile. The alcohol is also not as subdued as some other 9%-ers I've had, and I like that, too.

Overall, I'd recommend it. I don't know if I would get it again (I usually don't buy bombers, anyway - maybe if I did I'd go for round two), but I'm glad I finally got to try it. Really nice if you want to try something a bit different.

BeerWizard, Jun 06, 2013

Dcunicelli, Jun 05, 2013
4.01/5  rDev +9.9%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Biere De Garde from their Lips of Faith series last month for 8.99 at The Lager Mill. This beer was from when New Belgium collaborated with Brewery Vivant last year, I really like the beer that Brewery Vivant put out from that collaboration, Escoffier, and since I liked that beer so much I thought I would try the one that New Belgium put out, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The bottle looks pretty good, just like most beers from the Lips of Faith series, I like the nod to Brewery Vivant with the nice looking roosters. It poured a fairly hazy yellow color that took on some nice golden hues when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was good and the head and lacing were very good, I liked the way it looked.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a nice citrus aroma, I get a slight bit of lemon, but it's the orange rind that seems to stick out the most and it blends nicely with a medium barnyard funk aroma. After that I get a straw like aroma, with a good amount of bready malts with a light caramel malt aroma in the background. Towards the end I get a little more fruit with some lighter apple like aromas coming through. This beer had a good aroma, it fairly complex and nicely balanced, neither the orange rind or the barnyard funk were too overpowering.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice citrus fruit flavors, there's some lemon in the background, but it's the orange rinds that stick out the most, but they aren't overpowering. Up next comes a slightly lower amount of medium barnyard funk with some wet hay sticking out the most. Up next comes a nice honey flavor with some Belgian Witbier like spice with cloves sticking out the most. Towards the end I get a nice crisp apple and slight pear flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of light bitterness with a little bit of tartness to go with some orange rind, light barnyard funk, and apple coming through in the aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, it was pretty complex and it had a nice balance to it.

M- smooth, crisp, clean, refreshing, medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of the style, I don't have a ton of experience with this style, I like it, but there aren't too many Biere De Gardes available to me, so i try just about everyone I see and so far this is my favorite, I really liked how complex it was. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not filling, refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, it would be nice to have a bottle of this on a warm summer day and I wouldn't rule out drinking a couple bombers of this, I think it's a nice and refreshing summertime beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how balanced it was, neither the orange rinds or the barnyard funk were to overpowering, I really liked that. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I didn't like or would change. I would buy this beer again, if there's any left when I go to the store next time I'll get a bottle to throw in the cellar and see how it develops overtime, it was a little pricey, but it is 9% and I think it's worth the price, I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style or doesn't mind a little funk with their beer. All in all i was pretty happy with this beer, I still like Escoffier more, but this is still a fine beer that I enjoyed drinking. Brewery Vivant and New Belgium did a good job with this beer and I hope they come together to collaborate on some more beers in the future, nice work guys..

StoutHunter, Jun 03, 2013
3.81/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle pouring into a large red wine glass.

Looks nice...lots of bubbles rising through the light copper bulb, forming a frothy off-white head.

Smells of citrus and funk, like the civic center farmer's market. Lemons fade into orange into barnyard hay.

Orange up front, followed quickly by some biting clove and spice. Some lingering boozy citrus flavors. Not overly funky as some can be.

Slightly astringent. While there is some detectable alcohol, I wouldn't have guessed it was as high as 9%(until I was almost through the bottle).

I'm not sure if I would buy it again, but wouldn't advise against trying it. Eric's Ale is still my favorite of the Lips of Faith series, but this is an interesting beer worth adding to an afternoon sampling of a few other beers and cheeses.

andyfrancis, Jun 02, 2013

cwxc818, Jun 02, 2013

Jas45678, Jun 01, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle.

Pours hazy gold with a copper hue and a short-lived off-white head of a half inch. A partial skim coat with zero lacing for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with caramel-spiked malt with apples and citrus. Some faint burnt rubber and cloves follow through.

Medium bodied with a slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

Sweet malt, apples, and melons start the palate. Shades of orange and pears follow though.

Finishes with caramel-coated apples and a boozy warmth.

The orange peel is overshadowed by the malt and burnt rubber overtone and the carbonation is seriously lacking for the style. A bit of a miss on this one.

brewandbbq, May 30, 2013

jono311, May 29, 2013

Boone757, May 27, 2013

MarioM, May 26, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber poured into tulip.

A: Clear, bright gold color with a thick, but fairly quickly receding white head and a bunch of sediment floating about. However, there is some lively carbonation.

S: Smells of spice, alcohol, white grape, orange, honey and yeast, although the alcohol is the most overpowering aspect.

T: Thankfully, the powerful alcohol profile doesn't make its way into the taste. The profile here is pretty complex, and it's tough to pick out specific flavors. Says it's brewed with orange peel, but it's a pretty dry and not very estery at all, actually. There's a heavy dollop of honey along with some Belgian spices, spicy hops, a bit of alcohol on the back with a bit of orange zest, which is the only indication that it was brewed with orange peel.

M: Mouthfeel is good for the style and about what you'd expect. Pretty light and lively...carbonation is high. Easy enough to drink, although you can definitely tell it's a higher ABV beer.

O: Overall, this is a pretty decent beer. It's a good Belgian strong ale with a twist of orange zest at the end. For a Biere de Garde, it's above average, but not amazing. Since it's a one time only beer, it would probably be worth buying if you run across it. This is one of the stronger outings by New Belgium's Lips of Faith line.

TTAmod, May 25, 2013