Lips Of Faith - Cascara Quad - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-11-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cascara Quad Alström Bros
Ratings: 504 | Reviews: 90
3.24/5  rDev -11.2%

BBD of Aug 2014...

Pours an effervescent chestnut with 3 fingers of tan/cream colored head head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Cherry & banana taffy in copious amounts with stiff booze

T: Follows the nose, then cherry & banana mix along with a booze laced juicy-fruit with rubber bands thrown in up front. Slight leathery notes, dryness, boozey banana taffy, boozeyness becomes harsher as this warms up, but not a major problem, then more cherry & dryness

MF: Slight carbonation, medium bodied

Not a good Quad, but interesting & would love to put a few back to age for a few years, this will pay dividends I bet. Give this at least a year, still too raw & off kilter, plus disjointed, in otherwords; pass for right now

4.99/5  rDev +36.7%

This is one of the best beers I have ever tried. So sweet, malty, and fruity with the perfect smell AND mouthfeel. It might have to be my new favourite quad because on top of anything I would have expected, it's got this alcoholic "nastiness" to it. I'm not sure how to best describe it, but it's the perfect mist of musty earthiness and alcoholic bite. Basically, as a connoisseur of malt liquor (a rare specialty), this has everything a kickass malt liquor needs with everything a freaking awesome quad needs as well. It's the best of both worlds and is a top competitor for my personal favourite beer of all time (as those are my two favourite styles). It's super-light in body (for the style), very sweet, but has enough malty flavour crammed into that light body to make it very interesting.

Caution: This is a HOT brew. I'm talking hot, alcoholic flavour. So, if you don't want to taste that, don't put it into your mouth. If you're into that, go pick this up right now.

2.31/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bottled recently.

Toasted caramel color with a fleeting etched surface with light tan foam. Smells like cherry cough syrup with some bits of cocoa and coffee, a little marshmallow and yeast as well. Very sweet, cherry, some nougat, some medicinal syrup, not really feeling this. Medium on thin for the style with tight, clean carb and a semi dry finish. One and done here

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%

I pass by this and I read "Ale brewed with date with coffee cherries added", yea I'm there!

Pours a blood orange red with a dense vanilla-cherry head. Lacing goes down all the way.

Aroma has some date sugar with trace acidic cherry. Sharp ground cinnamon. Also, smells like the inside of a spent clove cigarette box.

Ballsy brew. Acrimonious cherry with a semi-sweet chocolate malt. Dried fruit. It's got that cherries soaked in shelf rail whiskey taste going on hhnere.

Cocoa powder dry feel. Moderate carbonation with some stickiness. Cherry alcohol in the nose.

I'm torn on this, like a bad train wreck I have to keep looking at. I'm really impressed with the lacing. Yet, I have not mentioned anything about coffee-Where's the coffee? Would I buy this again-no, but dammit I just might.

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22oz bomber poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip. Was looking forward to this beer, based on its description.

A: Initially opaque dull gold body turns into a light chestnut that ends up being pretty clear...the frothy off-white head and lace is pretty nice.

S: I get a lot of yeasty esters, and dried fruit...a good amount of date and dried fig, dark cherry...very earthy in a way. No real coffee that I can detect but I wasn't really expecting any.

T: Some malty sweetness and bready notes...more Belgian here than on the nose, sorta Dubbel-ish. Yeast dries this one out...even the fruit component seems dry though there is an underlying sweetness. Date, fig, cherry, and plenty of earthy tones.

Pretty unremarkable.

MF: Feel is a bit sticky but mostly dry again, probably medium bodied, with appropriate carbonation by my estimation.

O: Just not impressed. You put 'Dates' and 'Cherries' and 'Coffee' on the label, thats what I'm going to expect to smell and taste. Call me crazy.

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Poured out a burgundy color with a one-finger, khaki colored head of bubbly foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - Some fairly strong cherry aroma with a touch of tobacco.

T - Cherry, tobacco, chocolate with a malty backbone. Just enough bitterness for balance.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium to full bodied ale.

O - This is a very interesting beer. Very unique.

3.36/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up tonight at Brewforia Meridian on the way home from work for $6 ... Poured into my HotD goblet... the light tan head dies back pretty quickly leaving fantastic lacing... the brew is clear chestnut brown.

Nose is not very "Belgian" ... A lot of something that I associate with vanilla... Light coffee... sorta plummy element... smells more sweet than malt prevalent..

Flavor has some minor Belgian qualities... a sorta peppery and lesser background clovey spiciness... with warmth a minor cigar wrapper emerges... so does plenty of alcohol... really too sugary sweet and not enough malt profile..

Carbonation and body are about right for the style...

All and all... Not bad... just not great.

3.75/3.25/3.25/3.5/3.5

3.26/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I'm not sure how sad it is, but beer teaches me more about the world than just about any other source. Anyway, this stuff pours a clear sunset ruby-amber topped by over a finger of khaki foam. The nose comprises medicinal cherry dust (which also kinda borders on plum at times...), Belgian candi sugar, light clove, banana, perfume-y flowers, and a smattering of honey. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a touch of coffee in the background and some lightly-toasted biscuit throughout. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda grainy feel. Overall, I don't feel the cascara really works all that well here, as it seemed to go sideways. Had that strange character not been there, ths probably could've been pretty nice, but c'est la vie, I s'pose.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a hazy, reddish-brown color with a small white head that disappears quickly. Scent is packed with dark fruit aromas (dates, plums, raisins, figs). Light hints of cherry as well. Not really getting much of the coffee in the nose. To me, this one just smells like a Belgian-style Quad should smell. Very inviting aroma on this one. Taste is packed with the dark fruits as well. There is a nice alcohol warmth to it, as it is a bit boozy right now. Very tasty date and fig flavors come through, along with red grapes and black cherries. The coffee in this beer is VERY subtle. More booze in the finish. Mouthfeel is full bodied and nicely carbonated. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, I think a bit of age may do this beer well. It is a solid quad, but doesn't stand out too particularly from other quads. This one is quite boozy as well.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle served in a goblet. Pours a hazy amber with a thin off white head. Dark fruit in the aroma, also a bit of cinnamon. Medium bodied. A lot of malt sweetness. Some more dark fruit, a bit of cherry that comes out as it warms. Alcohol isn't readily apparent. Decent, but nothing spectacular.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Nice looking brew. Awesome lacing, nice growing head into a foamy tan, brew is deep brown-red and clear.

Awesome clove notes, coffee aroma is beyond subtle, yet Cascara is awesome.

Hum. I prefer the aroma. Carbonation is way too high. Sweet, grapey, dry, no heat, not a mess. A bit too thin and underwhelming.

I wish I could drink this brew through my nose. I think NB may have "borrowed" this brew from DENVER BEER CO.?.?.? Recommended @ $8/22oz. One of NB's more amusing LoF brews.

Can you say Cascara? Yes, please!!!!

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It's bold, complex, unique and ass-kickingly delicious. Watch yourself with this one.

The beer pours a translucent tawny with a tan head that never full disappears. Lacings are quasi-sudsy.

The smell is slightly sweet, like molasses and dry fruit (like dates, I guess). On a more pretentious note, there's a slight sting of alcohol that blends well with a hint of damp pipe tobacco.

Drinking this beer takes time and consideration. A thick, sticky mouthfeel lets a spicy, fruity start engulf your mouth. Then it turns on a dime into a semi-smoky, funk that's slightly bitter. The end is dry, almost dusty, comparatively, with a slight hint of fresh coffee.

I think a little more gravity would've done this beer a world of good, but it still has plenty going on to be worth the buy.

3.64/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served from a 22 oz bomber in a New Belgium goblet.

A- 4.75 A really nice looking beer. Dark but clear amber, small head (gentle pour). Really nice lacing, marking the level of each sip ... a foamy, tan curtain of foam.

S- 3.25 Not the best smell. Sweet tobacco & slightly metallic. I think I can smell the dates too.

T- 3.5 Taste follows the smell plus slightly dry. There's a slight coffee taste but not what you'd think. Boozy & metallic. Tobacco'ish taste is prominent but not in a bad way. Can really sense the alcohol content but, once again, not in a bad way.

M- 3.75 Good carbonation. A little dryness.

O- 4 Overall seems better than the sum of its parts. Nice carbonation, great look but a little lacking in taste. Didn't cure my "thirst" but my head got fuzzy after killing the botle. It did get more complex once it warmed a bit, but I'd probably grab the Heavenly Feijoa (radically different style, I know) instead next time if I had to choose between the two, but I prefer the bretty-funkiness & tartness in most of my faves anyway.

3.87/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I always rush to pick up new lips of faith stuff. its been a really impressive series of beers, always pushing the limits. this one was strange. pours way lighter than I thought, medium amber brown with a pinkish hue and a tall fizzy soda looking white head. the nose is like gummy bears or something, sweet and fruity, not artificial, with lots of cherry, yeast, and booze. not a coffee beer per se, as a different part of the plan is apparently used here, but there are some mild coffee notes nevertheless. the flavor is dominated entirely by the date sugar used, which from my understanding is just crushed up dates. it really does have that sort of middle eastern feel to it, sweet in that way, but with the fruit its almost too much. its also aggressively boozy in both nose and taste, certainly all of 10% abv. its punishing, impossible to drink the whole bomber, so good thing I had some mates on deck here. we all agreed it would have been much better coming in closer to 7% abv. anyway, the finish is long and sweet, not sure id call it a quad in the traditional sense, but its a tasty and creative beer that's absolutely worth a try. the feel is really light for the style, not too much body at all. the carbonation is like a pepsi, big active bubbles, persistent. its an odd mix, but that's what we expect in this series. I was challenged by this, and I like it for that reason, but I wouldn't buy it again.

4.19/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bomber served slightly chilled into a goblet.

Cascara Quad is a medium dark brown with good clarity. The head is thick at first but settles quickly leaving some slight lacing behind.

Aroma is sweet and malty with hints of roasted malt and some spice.

Flavor is full of depth and complexity. I've never had a quad with coffee added but it works well together. Strong malt body adds plenty of sweetness that is then balanced out with the coffee and subtle hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

Overall a pretty solid quad. It started off a little harsh but, as it warms, it begins to open up and soften into a nice cold night sipper.

Lips Of Faith - Cascara Quad from New Belgium Brewing