Lips Of Faith - Cascara Quad - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-11-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Cascara Quad Alström Bros

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A brown-tinted amber in the tall Saxo tall tulip. Appealing creamy carbonation in the mouth. Some sugars but the Belgian character is really compelling in this one. Fruity aroma with a liqueur-like booziness.

Malty with a toasted fruitcake flavor. The dates are distinct but not overdone. I don't know what the coffee berries are supposed to taste like, but it's exotic and really rich. Fortunately the yeasty flavors are quite robust. A nice dry finish without being harsh, while the sweetness and fruit are still on the lips. Just a hint of hoppy aromatics, but it's hard to tell if there is some hop bitterness along with the yeast bitterness.

These Lips of Faith beers are always a leap, but this one is both extremely drinkable as well as peculiar. A sensational take on the Belgian style and worth From the 22 oz bottle bought at Royal Liquor in Encinitas.

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

4.21/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

New Belgium Brewing (Fort Collins, CO) – Lips of Faith – Cascara Quad 10.00% ABV

Suggested Glassware: Snifter, Tulip

A – Murky brown pond water with a soft off white head that disappears pretty quickly from the high ABV. Lots of nice long lasting lacing (try saying that ten times fast) some barely visible alcohol legs and some good carbonation streaming off the sides.

S – A lot of that thick Belgium yeast coming through immediately. Some of those cherries this thing said it was brewed with. Some dank type arabica coffee (or is it “coffee arabica”) in there somewhere. Some banana type smells from the neck. Pretty decent smelling for a quad.

T – This thing is all over the place I am having a tough time nailing down any one flavor. There some sweets like caramels but there is also some funk in the middle of the mouth which might be coffee I am not sure. At the end if lots of tart cherries. I am not sure how I feel about this. The finish is really dry which is typical of the style. As I let this warm up I am getting more of those coffee notes which reminds me of the Bourbon County Coffee Stout. I will be back in a half hour to finish this after this thing has a chance to warm up.

X2 - Way more sweetness way more cherries way more alcohol burn. This is thing brings its “A” game after some time. Still a lot of that sticky dry finish but the flavor profile really picks up

M – Thin to Medium type body on this with a fair amount of carbonation some sticky finishes on this gives that a dry aftertaste. Not to bad for drinkability but certainly wouldn’t mind some more heaviness to this someday.

O – For a quad I wanted more but to be fair this take on the style was adventurous and I appreciate that. I have had quads with cherries before but definitively not cherries and coffee. Despite what I have wrote above I feel that this is a good solid beer. There is very little wrong with it and even less from New Belgium as a whole. This is decent and if I could offer any advice pour this and let it warm up the tastes really come alive.

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for the bottle-share. It’s been too long, buddy.

This pours a ruddy ruby amber color with light foam. There’s a mild aroma of figs/stone fruit and some bubblegum, with hints of a phenolic sweetness that rounds it out.

The flavor is curious. There’s a lot going on here, like those same stone fruit and bubblegum notes reminiscent of a dubble more than a quad, in combination with a bittering that turns sweet, and this dry, dry, dry finish. It was like biting into pith, followed by an unexpected buttery note on the very end.
An interesting, challenging brew, not for everyone.

Took me a while to figure out what the aftertertaste/finish reminded me of. It was something that I’ve experienced before but I couldn’t name it… until I realized: unripe banana. Yes. That dry, mouth-smacking sensation from eating a still greenish banana. I didn’t care for that.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a murky, sort of dulled looking brown color. A huge foamy cream colored head leaves some good lace.

S: A sweet cherry aroma mixed with Belgian yeast, tobacco, faint clove and a lot of dark fruit notes. Pretty good.

T: Yikes. It's like there are good flavors in here, but they all made the mistake of attacking your palate at the same time. An initial explosion of Belgian yeast, tobacco, brown sugar, molasses, dates and fig. But those all die as quickly as they showed up and you're left with a fairly unpleasant sour grain husk and faded earthy hop flavor. Some ash and cherry skins as well. I loved the idea of this one, but it didn't really turn out so well.

4.03/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I keep changing my mind about this beer with every sip. I know I like it, but I can't decide if its awesome or just good. I know I am a fan of the high alcohol, the taste of it is there and you can definitely smell it. There is a bit of a twang to the flavor, and it comes out as it gets warmer.

It almost tastes a bit flat, the mouth feel is nice though. I think I will just have to pick up another bottle and try it again.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A-reddish brown with a thin tan head

S-mix of caramel, dark belgian sugars, and cherries. has a bit of artificial Belgianess to it.

T-comes in with a bit of heat, belgian rawness, aged caramels, and a touch of bitterness. the beginning wasn't all too great but the after-taste is actually quite magnificent full of cherries and aged belgian sugars, but not too sweet. I like it.

M-low dry carbonation with a dry finish

O-it's actually not a terrible quad. it's definitely an american quad, but it has a certain lasting after-taste i really enjoy. also, the abv is barely noticeable.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%