Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel - New Belgium Brewing

Brewed with Feijoa and Hibiscus
to view more.
Ratings: 470 | Reviews: 109
3.84/5  rDev +3.5%

"Oh my god, it's not only a reaction for drinking one of Dieu De Ciel's beers, but a figurative translation of the Montreal brewery's name. Just ask our brewmaster, he's in heaven when drinking this collaborative Tripel, inspired by Dieu De Ciel's love of hibiscus and Belgian's love of the obscure, hence our addition of tart Feijoa fruit. Cheers!" Brewed in the style of a Belgian Tripel ale. A one-off collaborative brew between New Belgium and Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel, released under the Lips of Faith Series label. Available in 22 oz. bottles and on limited draft.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a New Belgium Globe glass. Served above 52 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) The beer pours a frothy cream head of a golden white color over a very hazy amber body with plentiful lively carbonation. Retention is good and lacing is light and spotty. 4

(Smell) The aroma suggests a bold dry, grassy and vegetal bitterness, potentially hibiscus, meeting a crisp, juicy and tart fruit, namely the feijoa. As far as the Tripel goes, this beer has an unusually nice balance and a decent cleanliness to it. It is also accessible and pleasant to smell. Potency is moderate/high. 3.75

(Taste) Mild, chewy pale malts, mildly sweet juicy fruit, and a dry, leafy note of hibiscus. I like that this beer keeps the sweetness of the fruit well balanced with flavors equally bitter and tart. Finishes with a strongly tart fruit note and a pinch of creeping grain alcohol. It's certainly not a textbook Tripel, but there is a very evident Tripel base with so much more in here to offer. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is silky, mildly chewy, very dry. Carbonation is medium/high, generating a high frothiness and solid crispness. Body is medium for the style, medium+ overall. Balance is slightly tart over bitter and sweet. Alcohol presence is mild, and there are no off characters. 4

(Overall) Heavenly Feijoa Tripel is a Tripel ale superior to nearly every other Lips of Faith Tripel that New Belgium has put out there, and the success comes from control, balance and depth of flavor. The inclusion of feijoa and hibiscus is perfect for this beer, as it generates a fantastic balance of unripe tartness and strong bitterness to round out the sweetness and depth of the malt and sugary fruit as well as to keep the beer drinking full of character for a 9.00% ABV Tripel. This is one Lips of Faith collaboration that I sorely regret not buying multiple bottles of. 4

New Belgium Brewing's
Heavenly Feijoa Tripel Ale (With Dieu du Ciel)
3.84/5.00

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Enjoyed from a growler in a snifter, this unique tripel pours a pale copper with a thick white head of tight beaded bubbles and great lacing that lasts and lasts. Nose of tart pineapple and grapefruit, yeasty funkiness, and sweet malts. Flavors are tart and sweet fruits to all sides with pineapple, peach, grapefruit, and a wild yeast flavor lending itself to a nice moderately tart finish. A big ale that finishes moderately dry. Incredibly unique without rocking the boat too much for the style. Alcoholic warmth increases with temperature. Very nice.

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It's a strange looking beer, but only because it's so cloudy. Think orange juice that's just been engulfed by a dark rainy cloud. Pour is a very dingy , old faded orange. Extremely rich looking. There's a white head with average retention up top. Decent thin lace. Looks like a very orangey wit.

I don't know what feijoa is, but this beer smells good. Very pineappley nose. Lots of citrus juices. Floral with a smack of alcohol. Faint white pepper.

Grapefruit juice. Looks like it and tastes like it. Must be orange rind because it's far more bitter than sweet. You can taste the hibiscus, reminds me of dandelion. Orange makes a cameo in the lingering finish.

More bitter than sweet. There are small bursts of sweet, but it's fairly bitter and the carbonation makes the bitter feel even stronger. Alcohol brings some heat to the equation. Fairly heavy, even for a tripel. Warming, dry finish.

It's a strange beer, which sometimes collaborations are. I can't say good or bad, but I can say unique. Some will love this and others will hate it. I'm leaning towards good.

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours into my New Belgium chalice, it looks to be a slightly hazed amber body with a rose' shade from the Hibiscus additions. Fat creamy layer of lacing off white beige in color, leaves behind fine Belgian style lacing. Aroma has tart tropical fruit with floral hibiscus notes, earthiness with some cherry blossoms collides nicely for my senses. Flavor has some more upfront tartness, as tart as lime/lemon notes with a bitter earthy load of floral hibiscus additions, the feijoa fruit I'm not familiar with but these are the flavors I'm getting the tartest tripel style ale I've ever tasted. The website does mention Nelson Sauvin and Target hops but I'm having a hard time picking up actual hop character. Very much fruity and bitter with vegetal earthiness from the floral additions, a strange unique trip from New Belgium and Dieu du Ciel! Mouthfeel leaves me puckering a bit on the palate but no gut wrenching sour notes, carbonation carries everything well medium bodied overall not much alcohol detectable on the palate. Finishes dirty and dry, with some residual sweetness left behind on the palate between each sip. Overall, I'm feeling like it's more miss and than hit, compared to either of the breweries individual efforts, I'll continue to try these as I see them in stores in Ohio.

3.52/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle
best by 3-14 ( so im a little late)

A- Amber honey in color, white head about 3 fingers high, decent lacing up the sides of the glass as the head falls. Medium carbonation that is clearly visable throughout.

S- Fruity, grapes, pear, hints of pinapple, malt and bread.

T- Grape, pear, fruity and sour.

M- Medium to surprisingly full, slick and bubbley like champagne...

O- Not a triple, defiantly a sour/wild, one that is full of fruits and carbonation. It does have a certain funk to it, guessing that's from the sour fruits.
Its not a bad beer, just completely mislabeled as a tripel of any sort, so I will grade it as a beer instead of a bad label. Try it if your into sours, stay away if you don't like them.

Color- hazy peach. Slight head.

Aroma- sweet canned pear, rose petals, and grass.

Taste- Starts flowery and sweet then turns sour like a mild Flemish brown ale and finishes dry with a lingering rosy-floral and tropical note. A complex and refreshing brew.

New Belgium describes this brew as including feijoa, also known as pineapple guava. It includes Belgian yeast and Nelson Sauvin hops.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted May 4, 2013.

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

A: poured into a snifter to a deep gold topped by a finger of dense white head that fades to a small pool and leaves minimal lacing
S: smells of alcohol, fruity esters, and some grapes. it smells a lot like a chardonnay that was fermented in steel tanks
T: taste is some clean pale malt, some fruity esters, a bit of floralness, alcohol, and more fruit. swallow is floral and fruity with a hint of mint
M: medium in the mouth with slightly prickly carbonation and a dry finish
O: Interesting beer for sure. very drinkable and the flavors mesh pretty well.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Golden orange in color. I ordered this not knowing it was a tripel and all my server knew was that it was some sort of Belgian beer...

My immediate thoughts were this is a saison. Tropical fruits in the nose with a funky Belgian yeast character. Hmm...

Tart up front with more tropical fruits. Specifically, pine apple and mango. Malty backbone with pils and Munich coming to mind. So what is this?

I thought for sure this is too funky and too sweet for a tripel yet it didn't fit with a typical saison...one could argue what is a typical saison? More thoughts go through my mind and I order another because, oh...did I fail to mention that the first went down very easy and it was delicious?

No way does this drink like a 9% beer. What has New Belgium done? This is an amazing beer. Expect a tart funky ride and you will not be disappointed.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle served in a Tripel karmaleit tulip.
Best by March 2014
Thanks to Yoshi Optimator for this one.

A - Pours a murky burnt orange with a sudsy white cap.

S - Fruity yeast, apricots, peaches, apple cider, white grapes, banana, strawberries, oranges, tart candy, honey, caramel malts with hints of butterscotch.

T - fruity tartness upfront, apricots, peaches, apple cider, white grapes, candy caramel malts underneath the fruity tartness. There a light spicy bitterness on the back end the helps out with the sweetness.

M - medium carbonation, velvety smooth feel, finishes semi crisp and dry.

Smells a little strange but I think the flavors work very well together. Lots of fruit flavors with perky tartness. I would drink this again.

3.36/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tripels are one of my favorite styles of beer. This beer is lacking in most of the areas that I look for in a Tripel. As a drink, it is not bad. As a Tripel it is fairly disappointing. Pours an attractive orange/amber color with a fairly large delicately bubbly white head. Head retention is about average and there is some filmy lacing on the glass.

Aroma is lacking, a little maltiness and some light fruit (apples and pears). Certainly not the peppery/yeast Tripels that I love.

Taste is very basic as well. A touch of alcohol in a mildly fruity/malty beer. I have no idea what Feijoa is supposed to taste like.

Mouthfeel is a bit better. Seems fairly rich.

Overall not a bad slow sipper, but nothing like some of the better Tripels I have had,

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked this up on special at the local store so figured it was worth a try. Disappointed, I was expecting more. Decent looking beer with average smell and taste. Best thing was that it was pretty easy to drink for 9% so bonus points overall. Okay but nothing I would try again at that cost.

3.67/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This pours a dark amber, which is not really a color I would associate with a tripel normally. Mildly bready nose. Flavor profile is a very mild tang with a consistent sweet edge, in a mature fruit kind of way. Seems the feijoa is really showing through; not that I have had the fruit before. A nice tripel. I could have quite a bit of this.

3.64/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep orange color. Good clarity. Solid head recedes to a bubbly foam. Minimal lacing.

Fruity, white wine-like, yeasty, grape aroma. Fresh flowers and grass.

Flavor of sweet white grape juice with a boozy quality. Interesting fruity quality. Mild leafy, oily hop out of balance with the sweet flavor. Not much yeast character in the palate. Just a little sweet for my taste.

Medium to full bodied. Syrupy and dense. Sticky texture. Descent carbonation.

Different but not exactly what I'm looking for in a tripel.

2.06/5  rDev -44.5%

Let me first say, the beer is labeled a Feijoa Tripel, and it is part of the LOF 'experimental' family. With that said, I rated this beer harshly because I rated against the Tripel style - which it is a poor example of at best.

The only part of the beer that could have passed for a Tripel was the aroma. Light floral/perfumey notes and fruity undertones - characteristic of the style. It lacked a strong phenolic overtone, but was rich and complex.

The color was off for a Tripel, with a distinct red-purple tinge, not deep yellow/gold. It was not high in clarity, nor did it have a persistent creamy head usually associated with the style. NB gets this right with their other Tripels, the blame for the miss on all these factors, I think, is 100% caused by the fruit addition.

The taste and mouthfeel were also way off. There is a strong sour/acidic component of the beer that is reasonably balanced, but still quite dominant. A huge miss. Similarly, the fruit and sourness lend some puckering to the mouthfeel and take away the sense of deceivingly light body we usually expect.

My guess is that the only recipe design that went into this beer was someone at whole foods spotting Feijoa fruit and thinking, ''what if we add this to the Tripel grain bill?" Well, the answer is NOT a "Feijoa Tripel," whatever the hell that is, it is something closer to a Lambic. I understand that there are always beer drinkers wanting to try the next new thing - I support that. What bugs me about this beer is I ordered it expecting an interesting Tripel and ended up with a sour hybrid.

Beer styles serve a purpose in communicating between brewers, distributors, and customers. Wholly missing a beer style is not acceptable from a leading craft brewer, even for an experimental beer. The recipe might have started as a Tripel, but the outcome was such a distant miss it needed to be either redesigned as a Tripel before release or reimagined and relabeled as another type (lambic or sour). I'm not a huge fan of inventing styles or using cute marketing ("Feijoa Tripel") to poorly describe a one-off beer. Just my 2 cents.

2.19/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Bought this a few months ago after reading about the Lips of Faith series and finding a tripel of the series. In finally opened it because it stated I should drink it by March 2014...and I was very disappointed. As someone stated on an earlier review, this tasted more like a sour than any tripel I've ever had. After a few sips, I was even considering pouring it and grabbing something else; it was just that bad. It was a sharp sour taste that has me thinking I should pour the rest of the bottle since I've only had half of it. Boy am I glad I didn't try a few...

2.6/5  rDev -29.9%

Dark amber and clear.

Aroma is yeasty with a floral hint.

No idea why this is called a triple. It's a sour, a nondescript sour. The first couple sips where very tart, but with a delicate hibiscus aftertaste. For the rest of the sips, the tartness mellows but all floral notes are gone. No complexity.

Mouthfeel is watery with light carbonation.

Didn't expect a traditional triple, but this isn't even close. Which was a disappointment. It probably would have been a let down if I was expecting a sour as well. Maybe ok at the usual New Belgium price point, but not at the Lips of Faith cost.

3.96/5  rDev +6.7%

22 ounce bottle, best enjoyed by March 2014. Served in a goblet, the beer pours a slightly hazy golden/peach color with about an inch off-white head that stayed around a while. There's also a lot of lacing. The brew smells like hibiscus, stone fruit/tropical fruit (which I assume is the Feijoa), bready malt, and some peppery spice. It has a fruity taste that's hard to describe, but like the aroma it reminds me of a stone fruit and tropical fruit, along with some citrus making it an unusual mix that I wasn't expecting. It's a bit sweet and tart. I can also taste some bready malt and floral notes (hibiscus). Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's well carbonated and easy to drink. I think it's a good brew overall, I liked it. $8.99 a bomber.

Photo of
1.78/5  rDev -52%

Honestly I have no idea how other people have given this beer high ratings. I'm in a room of six people and everyone hates it. It is literally undrinkable! I love La Fin Du Monde and other trippels but this beer was acrid, sour, and almost spoiled tasting... Would NOT not not recommend for anyone. The hibiscus and fruit were just not a good flavor in the beer. Open to trying other well-rated Lips of Faith beers but this one was not for me.

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 750ml bottle into Chimay goblet.

A - Medium pumpkin/amber gold with a lacey white head.

S - Buttery, floral, sweet toasted bread.

T - Juicy orange, not peel, citrusy hops, herbal/floral finish.

M - Crisp, tart, refreshing.

A unique beer to be sure. The juicy citrus aspect was surprising but not unwelcome. There are notes of a Flanders red in there as well.

3.82/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - light color with a nice white head that hung in there for about half the glass.

Smell - I did not get the smell of a triple, but it did have a distinctive floral scent. it was quite intriguing.

Taste - it had a slight sour note that I did not expect and the fruity notes did remind me of a triple that was lacking in the smell, or maybe my olfactory senses were not working very well this day.

Mouthfeel - the juxtaposition of the sour note and the fruity notes made for a very interesting mouthfeel. I was surprised and pleased at the same time.

Overall - I am torn between a 3.75 and a 4.00, but the taste and the mouthfeel won out and it will be a 4.00. After all, isn't that what makes up 80% of beer drinking - Taste and mouthfeel?

2.99/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dark golden color ale with a large foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of hibiscus notes and tart Feijoa notes is not as enticing as I was expecting. Taste was dryer then expected with quite a bit of tart Feijoa notes with also quite a bit of hibiscus notes. Body was quite full with medium carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Off-balanced ingredient with low drinkability meant a deception in this case.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a light copper color with a white head and plenty of lacing. Aroma of herbs and grain, soft fruit and a slight must.
In the taste, mild tartness, fruit snack like fruitiness close to grape and tangerine. Big malt, perhaps wheat, and a lingering sour. Quite nice with just a bit of herbal tea and little alcohol heat.
Light spritzy champagne like body.
Overall, inspired beer, more wild than triple.
Give me the Feijoa!

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz bomber purchased from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA. Brought back to Sydney and shared with my brother Sam.

Pours a pretty deep golden colour, hinting towards a coppery tone, with a fairly fine head of shiny white that leaves intricate lace. Body is firm and bold and hold masses of tiny carbonation. Looks good.

Yep, nose has feijoa alright, and it's a distinctive smell, somewhere between lime and banana. It's fresh and bright, and very fruit-forward. There's a mild toffee sweetness behind it, perhaps a little Belgian yeast note, but not a lot from the tripel side of the equation. Still the fruit is really well done, and it certainly delivers what it promises.

Taste is also full of fruit, giving pithy flesh, more tropical notes and a tartness that attaches itself to some of the phenolic characters from the yeast. Carbonation gives a fine tingle, but also adds to an already fairly pronounced acidity. Finish is long with lingering underripe fruit and a slight vegetative organic finish.

Overall, this is very interesting: and the feijoa is really well showcased here. I'm not sure if you'd do much better than this in using that particular fruit in a beer.

4.01/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A random from a recent trip to Wisconsin.

A - Pours a nice hazy copper colour, thumb of light fluffy head with decent retention and some nice sheeting lacing.

S - Sweet on the nose with hints of mandarin and mango, burnt sugar notes and hints of cloves and banana.

T - Not your typical tripel as it comes across surprisingly sweet with pineapple and mangos, yet finishes with tart citrus and Belgian funk. Surprisingly bitter with sour citrus rind lingering on the palette alongside some bubble gum and cloves. ABV is non-existent making it dangerously drinkable.

M - Lighter bodied, smooth and surprisingly dry.

O - A very tasty brew offering up some unique flavours for the style and a unique balance between sweet and sour. Highly recommended brew and something I could easily session. A collaboration brew that represents the quality Canadian brewers can bring to the table. Well done!

4.22/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This represents another round of firsts for me (my first Tripel and my first "Lips of Faith" series).

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass. Had a generous head that left behind a lot of lacing. Color is a dark amber.

Aroma: The aroma gives off a tangy citrus smell, though not as pronounced as I thought it would at first. This aroma seemed to grow stronger as it warmed.

Taste: Tart and tangy is the word with this one! Strong hints of pineapple and citrus up front with a yeasty funkiness in the aftertaste, which really lingers as aftertaste. Medium body and generous carbonation. For me, the alcohol is well hidden.

The taste profile of this beer is similar to me like an intense Berliner Weisse, with pineapple thrown into the mix. I really enjoy that style and the additional citrus undertones makes this one a winner for me.

to view more.