1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa TripelLips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Brewed with Feijoa and Hibiscus

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-16-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel Alström Bros

jacewg, May 10, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. Bottle says best enjoyed by March of 2014.

Appearance: Pours a copper golden orange color with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of white head that fades into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A yeasty, sweet, and very citrus juicy smelling Belgian style aroma. Belgian yeast with hints of funk, peppers, and a slight clove hint. Huge aroma of fruits. Hints of apples, pear, grapes, and banana. Big hints of citrus mango, pineapple, and guava along with some orange, lemon zest, kiwi, and passion fruit. Pale malt hints of biscuit and crackers. Hints of floral and grassy hops. A unique and good Belgian style aroma.

Taste: Like the smell gives off, a unique fruity and zesty Belgian tinged taste. Almost tastes more like a champagne than a beer. Spicy Belgian yeast with notes of peppers, funk, and a little clove. Big juicy fruit taste with a prominent taste of white grape juice, apples, pear, and a slight banana taste. Big citrus taste with notes of pineapple, mango, guava, lemons, passion fruit, orange, and kiwi. Soft pale malt notes of bready biscuit, grains, and cracker. Very floral with some earthy and grassy hop notes in the background. A really interesting and good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a pretty lively carbonation. Juicy, spicy, and fairly prickling with the carbonation. Pretty smooth with minimal alcohol heat.

Overall: A pretty wild and creative take on the Belgian Tripel style. Really good citrus and sparkling fruit notes.

MattyG85, May 10, 2013

nrb1, May 10, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

rph97, May 10, 2013

jeff1973, May 09, 2013

mookihouse, May 08, 2013

Eriktheipaman, May 08, 2013
3.11/5  rDev -16.2%

22 oz bomber pours a medium copper color with nice clarity. Head is small and white, not much retention or lacing. This is one of the darkest tripels I have seen.

Nose is mangoes, alcohol and hibiscus flowers. No idea what a feijoa fruit is supposed to smell like, but apparently it is a South American fruit commonly described as pineapple-guava. That makes sense upon further inspection. The alcohol aromas are what have me worried, just too fusel.

Pretty tart on the flavor with the floral aspect imparted by the hibiscus being pretty extreme. I have had the Ciel Rosée D'hibiscus before and that had a sweeter, subtler flavor profile I found more enjoyable than this. Tastes a little like dried apricots to me. As with many of the LOF beers, this one's ABV is simply too high, the alcohol goes fusel as it warms like a bad HG Malt Liquor. Yeast, fruit, tropical alcohol and hibiscus just all muddles around without much flow or direction. Not as bad as some of NB's LOF offerings, but I dont really find it to be a very good tripel nor would I want to spend $8 on a bomber again.

twiggamortis420, May 08, 2013

jessicapreuss, May 07, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -21.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a Teku snifter.

Appearance - Light amber. Small white head. Almost no wisps. Just a couple islands.

Smell - Boozy. Yeasty and estery. Some fruit. Decent.

Taste - Grainy up front, more of a tripel flavor after that. Earthy flavors in the middle. The fruit comes out in the back. Very tropical.

Mouthfeel - Boozy. Kind of abrasive. Medium bodied. Not as bad as many American tripels tend to be.

Overall - Harsh flavors. Interesting fruit that doesn't blend in with the beer at all.

Alieniloquium, May 07, 2013

Cramerican, May 06, 2013

lernerlift, May 05, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Heavenly Feijoa Tripel from the Lips Of Faith series a couple weeks ago for $8.59 at The Lager Mill. I've always wanted to try a beer from Dieu du Ciel but have never seen them around so I'm I happy I get to try this collab beer and I have never even heard of a Feijoa fruit so I'm interested to see how it works with this Tripel, so lets see how it goes. Late Winter 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks really good, it's very well done and it's one of the best looking bottles from the Lips Of Faith series. It poured a really clear golden color that took on a brighter amber hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This was a good looking Tripel, it was clearer than most, but I thought it still looked good.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruit aroma that I can't put my finger on but it must be from Feijos, it reminds me slightly of a guava with some apple skin overtones. Up next comes a nice flowery aroma that must be from the Hibiscus and it's followed by some Belgian yeast that is pretty spicy and is not full of bananas and bubble gum like most Tripels. On the finish there's a slight tart aroma that I like and I fell like it helps round out the aroma. This beer had a good aroma, I liked that it was very unique, but it would be a little better if it had more of those signature Tripel aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that is just at the right level and is followed by some nice fruity flavors with more of the slight guava fruity aspect that must be from the Feijoa and there's also a nice red apple flavor that reminds me a little of a dry hard cider and there was a nice apple skin flavor sticking out. Up next comes the yeast that imparts a slight spicy Belgian yeast flavor with maybe a slight bit of banana, but it's barely recognizable. On the finish there's no bitterness at all just a higher amount of medium tartness that was unexpected but enjoyable and it was right on the border of being sour. I really liked the taste of this beer, it wasn't the most Tripel like, but I thought it was very enjoyable.

M- Pretty smooth, slightly sticky, refreshing, medium bodied with a slight higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, I liked it.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it wasn't a true example of a Tripel and it might be better off labeled as just a Belgian Ale, but I don't think that mattered too much because inside the bottle there was still a tasty beer that I enjoyed but I wasn't expecting it. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I would love to drink a whole bottle of this and I think it would be perfect to enjoy on a warm summer day, I think it would be nice and refreshing summer beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the flavor, the fruit aspect was nice and the tartness helped bring everything together and it was just at the right level. What I liked the least about this beer was that it was labeled a Tripel, label it a Belgian Ale and I think there will be a lot less confusion and critique, that wasn't a huge deal though and other than that there was nothing at all wrong with this beer. I would buy this beer again, it wasn't over priced and it was pretty tasty, but I think my store is all sold out, but if they decide to bring this beer back I will for sure buy a few bottles, I think there's a chance this might age well also. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind some tartness in their beer, I think it's a very interesting and unique beer. All In all I was pretty happy with this beer, it wasn't really what I was expected it, but once I tasted it and got those nice fruity flavors with a nicely tart finish I knew I enjoyed this beer regardless of what the Brewery labels it as. I really like that New Belgium is so open to doing Collaborations and this one turned out nicely and now I want to try some beers from Dieu Du Ciel even more, good job guys this beer caught my off guard and I thought it was pretty impressive, hope you guys get together for another collaboration beer some day, thanks for the good brew.

StoutHunter, May 05, 2013

capnamerica, May 05, 2013

stoney1031, May 04, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

JeffreyJDavis, May 02, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Bottlemixx

A - orange with a thin lacing of white head

S - Belgian yeast funk and apples

T - apple, sweet fruit, herbal, mild tartness, Belgian yeast funk

M - alcohol warmth, well carbonated, medium bodied

This is a decent Tripel, but to me it was a bit sweet. The strange tartness also seemed to come out of no where. With the exception of these, this had all the hallmarks of a nice Tripel. It was fruity, estery, warm, and funky. It's probably worth a try.

tdm168, May 01, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

BBD Mar 2014

Pours bronze with a pinky of pearl colored head. Head fell away fast average head retention

S: Apple peels & blossoms, white grapes, pears

T: Follows the nose, some pineapple & hibiscus up front, plus a touch of boozeyness. Pineapple, pears, a smidge of grapefruit as this warms, plus apple juice. Finishes fruitty with candi sugar, dryness, & little bit of lemon zest & a kiss white pepper

MF: Fairly syruppy, low carbonation

Not bad drinkability, a bit too sweet for me to love it, not bad though

russpowell, May 01, 2013

Grinky, May 01, 2013

adam_e, Apr 30, 2013

djs467, Apr 30, 2013

FlussigkeitMut, Apr 28, 2013

abex44, Apr 28, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma definitely suggests a fruity beer, with a mix of both sweet tropical notes as well as a tartness. It's also a little funky, perhaps that's the yeast.

Taste definitely comes off, at first, like you'd expect in a triple. Definite fruity sweetness of a tropical nature (passion fruit?) are there with some yeast as well. But then it hits; the tartness. Quite tart too. About as tart as many wild ales to be honest. Quite the dichotomy here as far as taste is concerned. I also notice some heat from the booze which will impair drink ability a bit.

It's an interesting novelty beer and I did enjoy it. I actually familiar with this fruit before this so that was different. I'm not sure I'd I would buy it often if it was always available however.

NODAK, Apr 28, 2013