Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Brewed with Feijoa and Hibiscus

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-16-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel Alström Bros

2.9/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

22 oz bomber. One of two remaining (other is Tide & Its Takers) in a month of tripels. I'm at "novelty tripels" by this point.

A: Tawny gold. Below-average carbonation activity. Where's the big tripel head? I've got a think layer of froth that was gone before I took my first sip.

S: Immediate dislike. Not quite durian-level fruit funk, but close. Also, bready and yeasty, which is a highly unlikeable pair for the South America fruit aromas. I love a beer that smells "interesting;" this smells borderline bad.

T: Definitely more charm than the aroma. Dominant tart flavor that I guess is feijoa (small Brazilian sweet fruit). Similar to tart green grapes; the effect is like a fruited white wine. Back end is a scramble of flavors elbowing each other away: papaya, guava, more tropical melon flavors. A mess, but a tolerable one. Novelty is the top quality here.

M: Sluggish. After reading other reviews, my bottle sounds flat.

O: Clearly, I sort of hated this, although it's like nothing else. But yeah, I won't buy this again.

3.34/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip glass.

It pours a clear reddish amber with a thin white head about a finger thick that quickly fades. The beer is very nice looking. The aroma is very floral with hints of cranberries. Sadly I'm not too keen on the taste. It was too sweet for me. I think the tartness from the hibiscus and the sweetness of the tripel just didn't work well together. The carbonation is medium and the body is medium as well. I would have preferred a dryer finish and a more refreshing mouthfeel. I guess the style was the downside on this beer for me. I feel that a saison would have been a better pairing with the hibiscus but there is nothing I can do to change that. I probably wont seek this beer out again.

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. Bottle says best enjoyed by March of 2014.

Appearance: Pours a copper golden orange color with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of white head that fades into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A yeasty, sweet, and very citrus juicy smelling Belgian style aroma. Belgian yeast with hints of funk, peppers, and a slight clove hint. Huge aroma of fruits. Hints of apples, pear, grapes, and banana. Big hints of citrus mango, pineapple, and guava along with some orange, lemon zest, kiwi, and passion fruit. Pale malt hints of biscuit and crackers. Hints of floral and grassy hops. A unique and good Belgian style aroma.

Taste: Like the smell gives off, a unique fruity and zesty Belgian tinged taste. Almost tastes more like a champagne than a beer. Spicy Belgian yeast with notes of peppers, funk, and a little clove. Big juicy fruit taste with a prominent taste of white grape juice, apples, pear, and a slight banana taste. Big citrus taste with notes of pineapple, mango, guava, lemons, passion fruit, orange, and kiwi. Soft pale malt notes of bready biscuit, grains, and cracker. Very floral with some earthy and grassy hop notes in the background. A really interesting and good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a pretty lively carbonation. Juicy, spicy, and fairly prickling with the carbonation. Pretty smooth with minimal alcohol heat.

Overall: A pretty wild and creative take on the Belgian Tripel style. Really good citrus and sparkling fruit notes.

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

3.11/5  rDev -16.2%

22 oz bomber pours a medium copper color with nice clarity. Head is small and white, not much retention or lacing. This is one of the darkest tripels I have seen.

Nose is mangoes, alcohol and hibiscus flowers. No idea what a feijoa fruit is supposed to smell like, but apparently it is a South American fruit commonly described as pineapple-guava. That makes sense upon further inspection. The alcohol aromas are what have me worried, just too fusel.

Pretty tart on the flavor with the floral aspect imparted by the hibiscus being pretty extreme. I have had the Ciel Rosée D'hibiscus before and that had a sweeter, subtler flavor profile I found more enjoyable than this. Tastes a little like dried apricots to me. As with many of the LOF beers, this one's ABV is simply too high, the alcohol goes fusel as it warms like a bad HG Malt Liquor. Yeast, fruit, tropical alcohol and hibiscus just all muddles around without much flow or direction. Not as bad as some of NB's LOF offerings, but I dont really find it to be a very good tripel nor would I want to spend $8 on a bomber again.

2.9/5  rDev -21.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a Teku snifter.

Appearance - Light amber. Small white head. Almost no wisps. Just a couple islands.

Smell - Boozy. Yeasty and estery. Some fruit. Decent.

Taste - Grainy up front, more of a tripel flavor after that. Earthy flavors in the middle. The fruit comes out in the back. Very tropical.

Mouthfeel - Boozy. Kind of abrasive. Medium bodied. Not as bad as many American tripels tend to be.

Overall - Harsh flavors. Interesting fruit that doesn't blend in with the beer at all.

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Heavenly Feijoa Tripel from the Lips Of Faith series a couple weeks ago for $8.59 at The Lager Mill. I've always wanted to try a beer from Dieu du Ciel but have never seen them around so I'm I happy I get to try this collab beer and I have never even heard of a Feijoa fruit so I'm interested to see how it works with this Tripel, so lets see how it goes. Late Winter 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks really good, it's very well done and it's one of the best looking bottles from the Lips Of Faith series. It poured a really clear golden color that took on a brighter amber hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This was a good looking Tripel, it was clearer than most, but I thought it still looked good.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruit aroma that I can't put my finger on but it must be from Feijos, it reminds me slightly of a guava with some apple skin overtones. Up next comes a nice flowery aroma that must be from the Hibiscus and it's followed by some Belgian yeast that is pretty spicy and is not full of bananas and bubble gum like most Tripels. On the finish there's a slight tart aroma that I like and I fell like it helps round out the aroma. This beer had a good aroma, I liked that it was very unique, but it would be a little better if it had more of those signature Tripel aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that is just at the right level and is followed by some nice fruity flavors with more of the slight guava fruity aspect that must be from the Feijoa and there's also a nice red apple flavor that reminds me a little of a dry hard cider and there was a nice apple skin flavor sticking out. Up next comes the yeast that imparts a slight spicy Belgian yeast flavor with maybe a slight bit of banana, but it's barely recognizable. On the finish there's no bitterness at all just a higher amount of medium tartness that was unexpected but enjoyable and it was right on the border of being sour. I really liked the taste of this beer, it wasn't the most Tripel like, but I thought it was very enjoyable.

M- Pretty smooth, slightly sticky, refreshing, medium bodied with a slight higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, I liked it.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it wasn't a true example of a Tripel and it might be better off labeled as just a Belgian Ale, but I don't think that mattered too much because inside the bottle there was still a tasty beer that I enjoyed but I wasn't expecting it. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I would love to drink a whole bottle of this and I think it would be perfect to enjoy on a warm summer day, I think it would be nice and refreshing summer beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the flavor, the fruit aspect was nice and the tartness helped bring everything together and it was just at the right level. What I liked the least about this beer was that it was labeled a Tripel, label it a Belgian Ale and I think there will be a lot less confusion and critique, that wasn't a huge deal though and other than that there was nothing at all wrong with this beer. I would buy this beer again, it wasn't over priced and it was pretty tasty, but I think my store is all sold out, but if they decide to bring this beer back I will for sure buy a few bottles, I think there's a chance this might age well also. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind some tartness in their beer, I think it's a very interesting and unique beer. All In all I was pretty happy with this beer, it wasn't really what I was expected it, but once I tasted it and got those nice fruity flavors with a nicely tart finish I knew I enjoyed this beer regardless of what the Brewery labels it as. I really like that New Belgium is so open to doing Collaborations and this one turned out nicely and now I want to try some beers from Dieu Du Ciel even more, good job guys this beer caught my off guard and I thought it was pretty impressive, hope you guys get together for another collaboration beer some day, thanks for the good brew.

Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel from New Belgium Brewing