Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-16-2013

Brewed with Feijoa and Hibiscus
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel Alström Bros
3.77/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle.

Pours clear dark copper with an inch of white foam. A few wisps on the surface with some errant lacing for the duration.

Aromatics are floral and spicy with a somewhat malty background. Ripe fruit with hibiscus and red apples.

Light bodied with a slightly tacky mouthfeel.

Candied fruit and flower petals start the palate. Green apples and a mild tartness follows through.

Finishes with tart, red fruit and apple skins.

Interesting beer, but the flavors don't mesh real well. Quite undercarbonated for a Triple also.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

22 ounce bottle into signature globe glass, bottled on 1/29/2013. Pours fairly crystal clear golden amber color with a 1 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of pear, tart apple, strawberry, lemon zest, grape, pepper, clove, flower petals, light bubblegum, light honey, pale candi sugar, and yeast earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity of malt and yeast esters with the flower and fruit additions. Taste of tart apple, pear, strawberry, grape, lemon zest, pepper, clove, flower petals, honey, candi sugar, bubblegum, and earthy yeast spiciness. Fair amount of fruity tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruits, strawberry, pepper, clove, floral, honey, candi sugar, bubblegum, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Good balance and complexity of malt and ester flavors; with moderate floral/fruity presence and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately slick and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a nice and unique Tripel style. Good balance and complexity of flavors; and quite smooth to sip on. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Wow, I can't believe that I've just been staring at this beer in the store for months.

A - Really nice copper hue. Starts with a big foamy belgian-like head that shrinks down to a nice looking thin ring that leaves a fair amount of stickage.

S - Really big mineral aroma that encompasses everything else, but there are some notes of unripe pineapple, sweet bread, belgian yeast, and a big boozy waft.

T - This is really where its at. I know that this beer can't be for everyone, but I love how the feijoa almost gives this beer a lambic like funk and sourness. The start of the flavor is a good blend of big pineapple, yeast, bread, and the sourness starts to hit and develops in a way that I really love almost like a mix of citric tang and cranberry pucker. The finish is boozy, citrusy, and slightly hoppy. Some of the hops used are Nelson Sauvin, and I never would have guessed it, because they are blended so well as to just add a little spice. Awesome!

M - Really smooth and medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation to give the beer some life.

It's pretty rare that I come across a beer that hits me out of nowhere. As I said I'm sure its not for everyone, but Jesus Christ this shit is fucking awesome! Like nothing else

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber from BevMo at the end of March for $8.99.

Beer poured golden with a tint of orange. Head was decent and is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is malty, earthy, and slightly sweet.

Taste initially was tart and earthy. Subsequent sips are becoming sweeter. Yet earthy dryness keeps this from becoming cloying.

Mouthfeel is decently carbonated and somewhat smooth.

Overall this is a pretty interesting beer. Brewed with herbs true to the Belgian style, the collaboration between two very respectable breweries was pretty good. Beer is too sweet for my tastes but it is decently crafted.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

22 oz bomber. One of two remaining (other is Tide & Its Takers) in a month of tripels. I'm at "novelty tripels" by this point.

A: Tawny gold. Below-average carbonation activity. Where's the big tripel head? I've got a think layer of froth that was gone before I took my first sip.

S: Immediate dislike. Not quite durian-level fruit funk, but close. Also, bready and yeasty, which is a highly unlikeable pair for the South America fruit aromas. I love a beer that smells "interesting;" this smells borderline bad.

T: Definitely more charm than the aroma. Dominant tart flavor that I guess is feijoa (small Brazilian sweet fruit). Similar to tart green grapes; the effect is like a fruited white wine. Back end is a scramble of flavors elbowing each other away: papaya, guava, more tropical melon flavors. A mess, but a tolerable one. Novelty is the top quality here.

M: Sluggish. After reading other reviews, my bottle sounds flat.

O: Clearly, I sort of hated this, although it's like nothing else. But yeah, I won't buy this again.

3.39/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip glass.

It pours a clear reddish amber with a thin white head about a finger thick that quickly fades. The beer is very nice looking. The aroma is very floral with hints of cranberries. Sadly I'm not too keen on the taste. It was too sweet for me. I think the tartness from the hibiscus and the sweetness of the tripel just didn't work well together. The carbonation is medium and the body is medium as well. I would have preferred a dryer finish and a more refreshing mouthfeel. I guess the style was the downside on this beer for me. I feel that a saison would have been a better pairing with the hibiscus but there is nothing I can do to change that. I probably wont seek this beer out again.

4.26/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. Bottle says best enjoyed by March of 2014.

Appearance: Pours a copper golden orange color with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of white head that fades into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A yeasty, sweet, and very citrus juicy smelling Belgian style aroma. Belgian yeast with hints of funk, peppers, and a slight clove hint. Huge aroma of fruits. Hints of apples, pear, grapes, and banana. Big hints of citrus mango, pineapple, and guava along with some orange, lemon zest, kiwi, and passion fruit. Pale malt hints of biscuit and crackers. Hints of floral and grassy hops. A unique and good Belgian style aroma.

Taste: Like the smell gives off, a unique fruity and zesty Belgian tinged taste. Almost tastes more like a champagne than a beer. Spicy Belgian yeast with notes of peppers, funk, and a little clove. Big juicy fruit taste with a prominent taste of white grape juice, apples, pear, and a slight banana taste. Big citrus taste with notes of pineapple, mango, guava, lemons, passion fruit, orange, and kiwi. Soft pale malt notes of bready biscuit, grains, and cracker. Very floral with some earthy and grassy hop notes in the background. A really interesting and good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a pretty lively carbonation. Juicy, spicy, and fairly prickling with the carbonation. Pretty smooth with minimal alcohol heat.

Overall: A pretty wild and creative take on the Belgian Tripel style. Really good citrus and sparkling fruit notes.

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%

22 oz bomber pours a medium copper color with nice clarity. Head is small and white, not much retention or lacing. This is one of the darkest tripels I have seen.

Nose is mangoes, alcohol and hibiscus flowers. No idea what a feijoa fruit is supposed to smell like, but apparently it is a South American fruit commonly described as pineapple-guava. That makes sense upon further inspection. The alcohol aromas are what have me worried, just too fusel.

Pretty tart on the flavor with the floral aspect imparted by the hibiscus being pretty extreme. I have had the Ciel Rosée D'hibiscus before and that had a sweeter, subtler flavor profile I found more enjoyable than this. Tastes a little like dried apricots to me. As with many of the LOF beers, this one's ABV is simply too high, the alcohol goes fusel as it warms like a bad HG Malt Liquor. Yeast, fruit, tropical alcohol and hibiscus just all muddles around without much flow or direction. Not as bad as some of NB's LOF offerings, but I dont really find it to be a very good tripel nor would I want to spend $8 on a bomber again.

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

650 mL bottle poured into a Teku snifter.

Appearance - Light amber. Small white head. Almost no wisps. Just a couple islands.

Smell - Boozy. Yeasty and estery. Some fruit. Decent.

Taste - Grainy up front, more of a tripel flavor after that. Earthy flavors in the middle. The fruit comes out in the back. Very tropical.

Mouthfeel - Boozy. Kind of abrasive. Medium bodied. Not as bad as many American tripels tend to be.

Overall - Harsh flavors. Interesting fruit that doesn't blend in with the beer at all.

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Heavenly Feijoa Tripel from the Lips Of Faith series a couple weeks ago for $8.59 at The Lager Mill. I've always wanted to try a beer from Dieu du Ciel but have never seen them around so I'm I happy I get to try this collab beer and I have never even heard of a Feijoa fruit so I'm interested to see how it works with this Tripel, so lets see how it goes. Late Winter 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks really good, it's very well done and it's one of the best looking bottles from the Lips Of Faith series. It poured a really clear golden color that took on a brighter amber hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This was a good looking Tripel, it was clearer than most, but I thought it still looked good.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruit aroma that I can't put my finger on but it must be from Feijos, it reminds me slightly of a guava with some apple skin overtones. Up next comes a nice flowery aroma that must be from the Hibiscus and it's followed by some Belgian yeast that is pretty spicy and is not full of bananas and bubble gum like most Tripels. On the finish there's a slight tart aroma that I like and I fell like it helps round out the aroma. This beer had a good aroma, I liked that it was very unique, but it would be a little better if it had more of those signature Tripel aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that is just at the right level and is followed by some nice fruity flavors with more of the slight guava fruity aspect that must be from the Feijoa and there's also a nice red apple flavor that reminds me a little of a dry hard cider and there was a nice apple skin flavor sticking out. Up next comes the yeast that imparts a slight spicy Belgian yeast flavor with maybe a slight bit of banana, but it's barely recognizable. On the finish there's no bitterness at all just a higher amount of medium tartness that was unexpected but enjoyable and it was right on the border of being sour. I really liked the taste of this beer, it wasn't the most Tripel like, but I thought it was very enjoyable.

M- Pretty smooth, slightly sticky, refreshing, medium bodied with a slight higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, I liked it.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it wasn't a true example of a Tripel and it might be better off labeled as just a Belgian Ale, but I don't think that mattered too much because inside the bottle there was still a tasty beer that I enjoyed but I wasn't expecting it. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I would love to drink a whole bottle of this and I think it would be perfect to enjoy on a warm summer day, I think it would be nice and refreshing summer beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the flavor, the fruit aspect was nice and the tartness helped bring everything together and it was just at the right level. What I liked the least about this beer was that it was labeled a Tripel, label it a Belgian Ale and I think there will be a lot less confusion and critique, that wasn't a huge deal though and other than that there was nothing at all wrong with this beer. I would buy this beer again, it wasn't over priced and it was pretty tasty, but I think my store is all sold out, but if they decide to bring this beer back I will for sure buy a few bottles, I think there's a chance this might age well also. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind some tartness in their beer, I think it's a very interesting and unique beer. All In all I was pretty happy with this beer, it wasn't really what I was expected it, but once I tasted it and got those nice fruity flavors with a nicely tart finish I knew I enjoyed this beer regardless of what the Brewery labels it as. I really like that New Belgium is so open to doing Collaborations and this one turned out nicely and now I want to try some beers from Dieu Du Ciel even more, good job guys this beer caught my off guard and I thought it was pretty impressive, hope you guys get together for another collaboration beer some day, thanks for the good brew.

3.66/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Bottlemixx

A - orange with a thin lacing of white head

S - Belgian yeast funk and apples

T - apple, sweet fruit, herbal, mild tartness, Belgian yeast funk

M - alcohol warmth, well carbonated, medium bodied

This is a decent Tripel, but to me it was a bit sweet. The strange tartness also seemed to come out of no where. With the exception of these, this had all the hallmarks of a nice Tripel. It was fruity, estery, warm, and funky. It's probably worth a try.

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

BBD Mar 2014

Pours bronze with a pinky of pearl colored head. Head fell away fast average head retention

S: Apple peels & blossoms, white grapes, pears

T: Follows the nose, some pineapple & hibiscus up front, plus a touch of boozeyness. Pineapple, pears, a smidge of grapefruit as this warms, plus apple juice. Finishes fruitty with candi sugar, dryness, & little bit of lemon zest & a kiss white pepper

MF: Fairly syruppy, low carbonation

Not bad drinkability, a bit too sweet for me to love it, not bad though

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma definitely suggests a fruity beer, with a mix of both sweet tropical notes as well as a tartness. It's also a little funky, perhaps that's the yeast.

Taste definitely comes off, at first, like you'd expect in a triple. Definite fruity sweetness of a tropical nature (passion fruit?) are there with some yeast as well. But then it hits; the tartness. Quite tart too. About as tart as many wild ales to be honest. Quite the dichotomy here as far as taste is concerned. I also notice some heat from the booze which will impair drink ability a bit.

It's an interesting novelty beer and I did enjoy it. I actually familiar with this fruit before this so that was different. I'm not sure I'd I would buy it often if it was always available however.

2.87/5  rDev -20.9%

on tap at USNWC in Charlotte.

Appearance: Deep, dark amber; fairly clear; small but durable off-white head.

Smell: way more like a wild ale than a tripel, there is a load of farmhouse funk in here along with the expected yeast and hints of citrus.

Taste: Heavenly Feijoa tastes a little better than it the smell suggests, largely thanks to a rather strong tartness. Still, too much off-flavor, likely intentional, from Brett and/or wild yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied; Smooth with excellent, medium carbonation.

Overall: Unique, surprisingly tart, and, for a "tripel", way too much like a farmhouse ale.

3.29/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- 24K gold colour, small, quickly shrinking head of foam, not much lacing.

S- aromas of apple vinegar, a bit of honey like sweetness that comes and goes.

T- fruity tartness up front..apples and pears. candi sugar sweetness, some alcohol that burns during the swallow. Spices come through in the finish; light cloves, a bit of pepper.

M- medium bodied, very low carbonation, not the best of mouthfeels.

O- $17.99 for this LOF brew that just showed up in town. I love sour brews but this one isn't doing much for me. It doesn't seem to have any harmony of flavours going on.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Charlie Jewell's in Redlands, CA.

Pours a clear honey orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is slightly sour with some malt, grain, fruit, and hibiscus aromas. Taste is much the same with sour hibiscus and yeast flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but a little of this beer goes a long way.

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a nice rich orange copper with less than a finger of thinnish caramel colored head, retention is so-so, dissipates after about 2 or 3 minutes leaving only the thinnest ring around the outside of the glass. Thin, somewhat decent lacing.

S - Lots of hibiscus, clove, slightly tart fruit and some spice.

T - Spicy Belgian yeast and tart (slightly funky) fruits combine for a very warm feel initially, cloves and slight bitterness follow and a lingering dry tartness finishes the experience. (quite tart)

M - Lighter bodied, pretty refreshing, decently carbonated. Tartness and warmth confuse how fast I want to consume it.

O - Ok, but a bit too fatiguing and tart on my tongue - although tripels are not my expertise..

3.32/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Handsome amber color in the Duvel tulip with a negligible head and a decent carbonation. A little fruity aroma with a some passion fruit nose.

Sharp and fruity. More acidic than malty, but some sugars. No apparent taste of hops. Warm and tart fruitiness. This really tastes like passion fruit but a little more austere. Mineral taste. Aftertaste is bitterish, with malty warmth.

Not so promising at first, and the tart odd flavors are a little disconcerting. Beery but distracting. Overall, it seems like another interesting experiment but not as drinkable as one might hope. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Whole Foods in Chandler.

4.26/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle. Clear copper with a rich bright-white head. Robust lacing that sticks in heavy swathes down the sides of the glass. The hibiscus gives the aroma a fresh flowery feel, backed by notes of spice, sugars, dough and a juicy smelling fruity tartness. The taste is very similar, with tart juiciness and a backing of sugars and bready sweetness. Some extra bitter fruitiness and spicy esters give the profile an edge down the middle of it. Finish is dry and flowery. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a soft crispness that fills the mouth. That 9% ABV is just beautifully hid here and I would never have guessed that it was this high beyond just a smidge of light alcohol sweetness that is present. This is extremely smooth. I didn’t know how this marriage of flavors was going to work for me but I ultimately ended up really enjoying this. The feijoa in particular really added a nice juicy sweetness that went well with the characteristics of a Tripel. I would gladly have this again.

4.59/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't accurately rate for the appearance, because I served this on the back porch in the dark, so I'm guessing.

If I were rating this beer based on its exemplification of the Belgian Tripel style, I don't know if I could give it a 4.5. I didn't get as much yeasty, funky flavor as I expect from something like La Fin Du Monde, for example. I was also hesitant when I saw "brewed with feijoa and hibiscus," because I thought it might prove very sweet or perfumey. But the more sips I took of this beer, the more I loved it.

The mouthfeel is super dry, and the experience of drinking is almost like sipping a brut champagne. Lots of floral scent and flavor, but no overt sweetness. Managed to be fruity and complex, but still very pleasantly dry. The flavor has some of the funkiness I associate with Tripel beers, but little yeast, making for a clear, bright flavor. I couldn't taste alcohol despite the 9% ABV.

I'll definitely be buying this again. One of the best beers I've tried this year.

2.67/5  rDev -26.4%

$8.59 for a 22oz bomber @ Bevco. Brewed with pale and black malt. Hopped with Target and Nelson Sauvin. Also brewed with Feijoa and hibiscus. 9.4% ABV.

Pours out to a clear dark golden, forming a tall creamy white head with superior retention and gorgeous lacing, in part due to it's brisk carbonation, ~3.25 carbs. The aroma is pure 3787 Trappist yeast...bananas and cloves, although it imparts more of a hefe-weizen green banana nose...not a brown banana nose. Faintly floral, although I wouldn't be able to discern hibiscus or Feijoa from the nose. Mouthfeel is lively and crisp with a tart acidity, almost like a hefe-weizen. Deceptively light body. Probably some sugar in here too, but they don't mention it on the website. The taste is a recap of the nose...green bananas, cloves, kiwi fruit tartness. Bitterness is very mild. The hops are barely noticeable. Slightly earthy mouthfeel in the finish with a slightly metallic aftertaste.

Overall, I'm not really digging this. The tartness kills it. I wish I got more hibiscus perfume but less tartness. It's interesting, but not something I could recommend or buy again. Ultimately, 16 oz of this went down the kitchen sink.

2.86/5  rDev -21.2%

This one sounds good on paper...

Pours a dark, dead copper gold with a half finger of off-white head that recedes quickly, leaving me with a thin collar which produces decent lacing and bubbly beading.

Red grape juice, apple and pear, phenol heat, dandelion, sweet grains, sort of a weird mix going on.

Sweeter than I anticipated, even a bit sour. Sugary mango and pineapple with an odd, twangy finish. Hibiscus is completely buried and what the hell is a feijoa? Whatever it is, I'm not a fan.

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance. Pours a clear amber-gold with a finger of white head.

Smell. Spicy belgian yeast, a bit of clove and pepper, some light tropical fruits and a faint bit of what I'd have to describe as sweet bell peppers .

Taste. Nice lightly tart orchard and tropical fruits, a little bit of spicy belgian yeast, and a slight herby, peppery quality. Different and not bad at all.

Mouthfeel. Below medium body, medium-low carbonation. Slightly watery feeling.

Overall. Refreshing and easy drinking. Some nice flavours going on for sure, but the other qualities of the beer didn't quite measure up ...which is a little unusual I guess.

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into an oversized wine glass a deep rich brass tone with a nicely formed almost creamy looking head that lasted for a good while.Aromas are very tart with some phenolic yeasty spice,as it begins to warm some funk starts to creep in.Flavors are tart a pretty dry,some toasted grain and pithy citric notes,again the funk as well alcohol creeps.A bit to tart and yeasty for me but for those who like the tart funky stuff they will enjoy this beer.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

22 oz bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a smallish white head that quickly goes to a thin film and leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is peppery tropical fruits with some musty yeast.

The flavor is a little bready malt with lots of sweet tart fruits and some peppery spices. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low but sharp carbonation.

Overall, I liked the mix of tart fruits and spices. It's not very much like a tripel though.

Lips Of Faith - Heavenly Feijoa Tripel from New Belgium Brewing