Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Rampant Imperial IPA - New Belgium Brewing

Rampant Imperial IPARampant Imperial IPA

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Huffaroma on 02-24-2013

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.
Reviews: 420 | Hads: 2,504

Amazing Imperial! Fell in love the first time it hit my lips. Living in Fort Collins, CO for 5 years, I have come to appreciate the craftiness of my two favorite breweries....Odell and New Belgium. I would highly recommend at least trying any brews these two make!

do you like IPAs?

do you like them being even more IPA than regular IPAs are,
with a wonderfully-balanced flavor and smoothness
that belies the sharp alcohol hiding behind the piney citrus notes?

drink this.
drink it VERY MUCH.

it is one of the best IPAs I've had -- right up there with Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA.

it kicks Ranger -- which is pretty good -- right out of the ballpark.

seriously, drink Rampant if you want to know what a really good IPA tastes like.

4.99/5  rDev +32%

One of my favorite DIPA's. Pours a nice copper into a pint glass. You can really smell the flowery hops. Taste is bold, flowery and bitter. The bitter hops stay on your tongue. IMO a great beer. It is also widely available and comes in an affordable 6 pack, not the current trend of a 4 pack or bomber for a double ipa. Keep it up New Belgium. Nice work.

4.96/5  rDev +31.2%

Once again another winner from NB.

Just bought this tonight must have been just released.

Appearance, something I haven't seen for sometime as it was not a darker copper as other Ipa's but much more light in appearance more like a regular pale ale.

Smell, great placement of hops in my opinion, leads you down the rabbit hole of depth in the hop addition here. A slight hint of richness in the malt is what I seem to smell.

Taste, well placed IBUs I'm not sure as the level of IBUs but if I could guess it would range in the 80s-90s. Good upfront bite, but there is a slight peach undertone in the finish. Very well made Imperial IPA not so sweet but more balance.

Overall I'll go back for thirds on this one. Bravo NB!

4.95/5  rDev +31%

Bottle poured into Darkness tulip.

A- Crystal clear golden Amber with a short head.

S- Flowery Hops. Very inviting. Looks very clean. I couldn't wait to take the first sip@

T- Light and Crisp. Not what I have come to expect for an Imperial IPA. Crisp floral hops with a touch of citrus. Semi sweet beginning to a complex dry finish. Overall a very nice bitter.

M- Light and crisp as previously mentioned. Light to Medium body that finishes dry.

O- If this is New Belgium's answer to hopslam I think they outdid the veteran in terms of IIPAs. This is the first that can compete with Surly Abrasive, emphasis on compete. I know the purpose of review is not to compare or take favourites between two ales but I would love to do a side by side tasting. This is truly a treat to drink. Cheers.

4.92/5  rDev +30.2%

L: solid yellow golden ale. Nice white head. Bubble galore from head to base. Very carb, but natural.

S: very sweet and piney. Very fruity hop. It smells like they said "oh you like this? Here is more to enjoy". It SMELLS bitter. Its very robust.

T: it feelsmlike the moisture ismevaporationg from ,y tongue, and is layering pine onmmy tongue. It coats it in its sweet cashmere texture and settles there front and middle of tongue. I doint know my malts but the sweet is very fruity. The description is peach which I guess i can see., Its still kind of hard to pin point certain points, but I can tell its not floral or citrus.

F: not water which is nice. Its not heavy or chewy. I see bubbles but not carbonated by CO2, but bubbles on tongue. Coats lovely. Lingers which is welcomed.

New Belgium is truly one of my new favorite breweries. Their Portage is one of my fave porters, this is one of my fave Imperials. I find myself eyeballing Portage telling myself I want it badly' and I will do the same with Rampant.

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

this is one of my favorite IPAs that i can get year round. and i recommend it to anyone

appearance: light and strawy with a bit of an amber hue

smell: piney and resiny followed by citrus and light spice

taste: malt and pine up front followed by hints of mangos, pineapple, citrus, and more
pine. finishes clean with notes of more citrus and pine. possible hops used simcoe,
nugget, and citra

mouth: bit on the airy side in the beginning, but thins out towards the end. definitely
light for an imperial

4.83/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a large wine glass.

A: Light amber with a snow white head that reduces to a thin film. There's lots of lacing and noticeable Alcohol legs.

S: Pine and citrus with a little maltyness. There's a slight bit of yeast esters and just a little peppery aroma coming through.

T: The first thing I tasted was resinous Pine then Citrus fruit, especially orange. At the the middle tongue there is a little hit of pepper and then some of the malt comes through. Then there's is a big grapefruity bitterness that sticks around.. The aftertaste is a combo of everything.

M: Nicely carbonated. There' a peppery sting and a little alcohol bite.

O: At only $7.99 a six pack it looks like I have a new regular beer. For my taste this is a very good D.I.P.A It's loaded with hop resins and a unique, peppery taste. It's dangerously drinkable for an 8.5% beer. I put this up with some of the best D.I.P.As, that I've tried.

4.82/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just happened to try this one day while out on a beer run and I found a jewel of an IPA! Very heavy on the ABV but with a really smooth peachy taste. Not so heavy on the pine like the Ranger. The look is a lot cleaner as well. Pours clear with a good head on it also.

4.74/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On my 4th of the 6 pack I got a week ago.

Pours just like the label, a great gold color, finger of white head, clear, decent lacing.

Smell is melon all over the place, honeydew, watermelon, cantelope and a bit of a floral note.

Tastes is very unique, honeydew, cantalope, watermelon, bittering grapefruit and a underlying sweetness I assume from the malt.

Mouthfeel is medium full, finishes a little wetter then most DIPas.

Well folks this is one of those love it or hate it beers. It is so unique, if all you want from your DIPAs is the same old Citrus and Pine notes then maybe this one is not for you. I am glad they went a different direction on this one, really some fruit flavors that I have not yet tasted from hops yet. The point is there are enough citrus, pine DIPAs out there already.

At the price it is worth a shot wether or not you think you will like it, I for one loved it, and will continue to!

4.71/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice copper color with a thick white head good lacing, pleasant aroma. Excellent flavor, nice bitterness, but sweet maltiness balances flavor. Truly a masterpiece.

4.66/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy golden color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are decent. Has a nice, fresh, citrus, resin aroma. Very good malt to hop transition. Nice, floral resin and citrus taste. Good bitter hoppiness. Aftertaste isn't too astringent at all. Hides alcohol content very well. Very impressed with this beer. Very good.

4.65/5  rDev +23%

A classic American real ale. Pleasing in taste. Excellent mouthfeel. Bracing bitterness. Terrifying alcohol content! Bought the Costco 6x22oz pack with two of these, two Rewind (OK) and two French Aramis (terrible). But the two Rampant are worth the price of admission. Guaranteed "forget your troubles" beer.

4.65/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

poured into a snifter glass. drank on 3/25/13 with an expiration date of july 14th 2013

A- 2 fingers of pitch white bubbly head and a light golden orange body. very faint lines of carbonation floating around.

S- skunky european pilsner hops all the wait. smells like a stella, but more pungent. very pleasant.

T- very similar profile from the aroma. very skunky and herbal. not as punchy and mean as a double IPA usually can be. It's an herbal take on a DIPA. Very cool.

M- silky smooth with a light bit of carbonation. medium bodied. fairly dry. very nice.

O- I love this beer! It's an approachable double IPA. to me, it's a european pilsner all jacked up and i'm really impressed. not what you would expect in a DIPA, and I like that. New Belgium scores with this one by me.

4.62/5  rDev +22.2%

Standard New Belgium bottle with raised neck collar and the simple label. The pour was very clear, a touch more pale amber in shade than a typical DIPA. The head was one to two finger thick. The smell was mostly pine and grapefruit. The taste was quite bitter, with a burst of grapefruit, herbs, and spice right up front. This was a very dry, over the top, "west coast" style DIPA, and I always seem to like them for their singular purpose as a hop delivery vehicle. This was no exception. There was little no malt influence, alcohol burn, or pretense of complexity here. It was like drinking an enamel stripping, head clearing, tongue scraping, hop juice. If you like hops, you will love this. If you don't like hops, why did you buy a DIPA. A hop bomb picked up at the neighborhood Kroger. My we have come a long way in this country, and I like that.

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This one surprised me. I now know what "wet" feels like. This is the wettest IPA, let alone beer, that I've ever had. Extremely nice mouthfeel, very smooth and refreshing. A great summer Imperial IPA. Way 2 go New Belgium, you finally have something I will come back for many, many times.

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%

L: Clear copper color

S: Dank, floral, and citrusy - one of the best smelling beers I have seen.

T: Less bitter and less citrusy than it smells with excellent balance of bitter hops, floral, and malt.

F: Appropriately carbonated, smooth.

Overall: Excellent IPA with hidden high ABV. Will seek this out again in the future.

4.55/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is good, really good!

Bottle poured into shaker pint. Four finger off-white head from a rough pour. Mild carbonation

Appearance: light amber to gold

Smells: hemp, hop, and slight booze

This tastes hoppy, and it does it well, a grapefruit finish is at the end.

Mouthfeel: warming, and moderate

Overall, this is an outstanding beer! Furthermore, it is affordable!

4.55/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Poured clear amber, with little visible carbonation. Two finger white foamy head. Excellent lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell: Sweet, almost syrupy, hops. Citrusy and herbal.

Taste: Sweet citrus, but not a lot of hop bitterness. Herbal and well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very slow. Minimal carbonation bite.

Drinkability: An excellent imperial IPA. Very drinkability with wonderful flavor that is strong, but not overpowering.

Buy Again? Yes.

4.54/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Rampant IPA is nothing less than the "go-to" beer for a powerful and satisfying IPA. If you want to drink a beer that gives you an experience more than just a buzz and you want character and flavor that will put you on your ass--in a good way--and you have the palate for a hoppy bold beer, then this is the beer for you. It is impressive how many citrus overtones are packed behind the punch of the hoppiness which is a feat that few can successfully accomplish.

A-This beer pours a rich deep golden amber color somewhat ironically, but has been kissed with a delicate white foam of tickling happiness that is nothing short of perfection. I think you will echo the adage when I say it here, 'don't neglect the head'...and this one has a great one.

S-The aroma is a pleasant balance of rich hoppiness and citrus, orange, and pine, but delicately freckled with subtle hints of nutty zest.

T-The taste is something you must brace yourself for, because the aroma tells tales of a gentle caressing of the tongue and palate. The taste is bold and the hops can kick you in the gut IF you aren't ready for it or if you don't like that, but I think it is safe to say that all who buy a six pack of Rampant are ready for a lashing. Anyways, the malts are well-balanced with the resinous pine and citrus hops which have a unique flavor that I haven't seen in other Imperial IPAs.

Overall-I would say that this beer never fails to disappoint and is my go-to beer when I can't find any other IPA that I haven't tried yet or don't trust to be hoppy enough. New Belgium has done it again and I think Rampant is worth every penny. Just be sure to drink it from a nice glass in order to get the full experience, because the head and appearance are every bit as savory and pleasurable as the flavor itself. Do not mistreat this baby, for she delivers every time.

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had high hopes for this beer after having their impressive Super IPA collaboration with Alpine. While Rampant didn’t completely blow my doors off, I thought it was a very impressive and solid Double IPA. I did detect some similarities to the Super IPA, but not quite as bold and well-rounded. The light copper color immediately gave off a wonderful aroma of sweet tropical fruits with only slight hints of citrus. This was really a great smelling IPA. The flavor doesn’t overwhelm you with a face melting hop overload but rather an enjoyable tropical fruit and slight dank bitterness with a peak of resinous pine on it’s dry finish. A good dose of sweet malt held all the flavors together into what I thought was a very tasty and dangerously drinkable brew. Rampant is definitely a slightly different take on your typical Imperial IPA, with more ripe fruit flavors and dank hops than pine or citrus, but another well done beer from New Belgium.

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

Appearance-browner than your typical IPA, almost caramel appearance, great foam body but almost too dark for an Imperial IPA

Aroma- crisp under-body with a great hoppy after smell. Has a very true craft brew aroma

Taste- very bitter at the beginning with almost a fruity watermelon under-tone. After taste is crisp and surprisingly spicy! Definite New Belgium product

Overall: I think this is another great imperial. I have yet to come across one I don't like. Kind of low ABV for an imperial, 8.5, but defiantly a beer for even non-hop heads. My old man tried one and coming from a non-traditional "beer drinker" he very much enjoyed it. New Belgium has surprised me again with their version of the Imp. IPA!

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Saw a 6 pack for $9.99 at my local grocery store and simply couldn't resist... I'm glad I gave it a shot!

Fairly standard appearance for an ipa. Very clear, medium brown and capped with a fluffy white head. Very appealing.

The smell, similar to the appearance, is standard for the style. Very sharp hop aroma permeates this beer and really doesn't let up... Bitter, angry smelling beer with a hint of alcohol.

Taste is the high point of this brew... Extremely bitter, harsh and one dimensional. If you like an honest to goodness DIPA, this is your beer. (I love it.)

A little sticky, quite bubbly, and slightly tannic. Very nice.

A wonderful beer for hardcore IPA lovers... Not much in the way of malt character, but I'm willing to look past it's shortcomings.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

A highly underrated brew. Nice combo of new school and old school hops. The sweet and bitter notes are nicely and uniquely integrated. And a more-than-solid 8.5 abv imperial IPA for less than nine bucks is a great value. Promotional description of beer is pretty much right on.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

I love a good IPA, but for folks who don't dig the hoppy aftertaste of IPA's, this one's right up yer' alley! Great hop taste without the after fast that you non-hopheads don't dig. Hophead or not, you'll dig this one.

Rampant Imperial IPA from New Belgium Brewing