Rampant Imperial IPA - New Belgium Brewing

Rampant Imperial IPARampant Imperial IPA

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Huffaroma on 02-24-2013

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,331 | Reviews: 401

Amazing Imperial! Fell in love the first time it hit my lips. Living in Fort Collins, CO for 5 years, I have come to appreciate the craftiness of my two favorite breweries....Odell and New Belgium. I would highly recommend at least trying any brews these two make!

Rampant IPA is nothing less than the "go-to" beer for a powerful and satisfying IPA. If you want to drink a beer that gives you an experience more than just a buzz and you want character and flavor that will put you on your ass--in a good way--and you have the palate for a hoppy bold beer, then this is the beer for you. It is impressive how many citrus overtones are packed behind the punch of the hoppiness which is a feat that few can successfully accomplish.

A-This beer pours a rich deep golden amber color somewhat ironically, but has been kissed with a delicate white foam of tickling happiness that is nothing short of perfection. I think you will echo the adage when I say it here, 'don't neglect the head'...and this one has a great one.

S-The aroma is a pleasant balance of rich hoppiness and citrus, orange, and pine, but delicately freckled with subtle hints of nutty zest.

T-The taste is something you must brace yourself for, because the aroma tells tales of a gentle caressing of the tongue and palate. The taste is bold and the hops can kick you in the gut IF you aren't ready for it or if you don't like that, but I think it is safe to say that all who buy a six pack of Rampant are ready for a lashing.

Overall-I would say that this beer never fails to disappoint and is my go-to beer when I can't find any other IPA that I haven't tried yet or don't trust to be hoppy enough. New Belgium has done it again and I think Rampant is worth every penny. Just be sure to drink it from a nice glass in order to get the full experience, because the head and appearance are every bit as savory and pleasurable as the flavor itself. Do not mistreat this baby, for she delivers every time.

4.99/5  rDev +32%

One of my favorite DIPA's. Pours a nice copper into a pint glass. You can really smell the flowery hops. Taste is bold, flowery and bitter. The bitter hops stay on your tongue. IMO a great beer. It is also widely available and comes in an affordable 6 pack, not the current trend of a 4 pack or bomber for a double ipa. Keep it up New Belgium. Nice work.

4.96/5  rDev +31.2%

Once again another winner from NB.

Just bought this tonight must have been just released.

Appearance, something I haven't seen for sometime as it was not a darker copper as other Ipa's but much more light in appearance more like a regular pale ale.

Smell, great placement of hops in my opinion, leads you down the rabbit hole of depth in the hop addition here. A slight hint of richness in the malt is what I seem to smell.

Taste, well placed IBUs I'm not sure as the level of IBUs but if I could guess it would range in the 80s-90s. Good upfront bite, but there is a slight peach undertone in the finish. Very well made Imperial IPA not so sweet but more balance.

Overall I'll go back for thirds on this one. Bravo NB!

4.95/5  rDev +31%

Bottle poured into Darkness tulip.

A- Crystal clear golden Amber with a short head.

S- Flowery Hops. Very inviting. Looks very clean. I couldn't wait to take the first sip@

T- Light and Crisp. Not what I have come to expect for an Imperial IPA. Crisp floral hops with a touch of citrus. Semi sweet beginning to a complex dry finish. Overall a very nice bitter.

M- Light and crisp as previously mentioned. Light to Medium body that finishes dry.

O- If this is New Belgium's answer to hopslam I think they outdid the veteran in terms of IIPAs. This is the first that can compete with Surly Abrasive, emphasis on compete. I know the purpose of review is not to compare or take favourites between two ales but I would love to do a side by side tasting. This is truly a treat to drink. Cheers.

4.92/5  rDev +30.2%

L: solid yellow golden ale. Nice white head. Bubble galore from head to base. Very carb, but natural.

S: very sweet and piney. Very fruity hop. It smells like they said "oh you like this? Here is more to enjoy". It SMELLS bitter. Its very robust.

T: it feelsmlike the moisture ismevaporationg from ,y tongue, and is layering pine onmmy tongue. It coats it in its sweet cashmere texture and settles there front and middle of tongue. I doint know my malts but the sweet is very fruity. The description is peach which I guess i can see., Its still kind of hard to pin point certain points, but I can tell its not floral or citrus.

F: not water which is nice. Its not heavy or chewy. I see bubbles but not carbonated by CO2, but bubbles on tongue. Coats lovely. Lingers which is welcomed.

New Belgium is truly one of my new favorite breweries. Their Portage is one of my fave porters, this is one of my fave Imperials. I find myself eyeballing Portage telling myself I want it badly' and I will do the same with Rampant.

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

this is one of my favorite IPAs that i can get year round. and i recommend it to anyone

appearance: light and strawy with a bit of an amber hue

smell: piney and resiny followed by citrus and light spice

taste: malt and pine up front followed by hints of mangos, pineapple, citrus, and more
pine. finishes clean with notes of more citrus and pine. possible hops used simcoe,
nugget, and citra

mouth: bit on the airy side in the beginning, but thins out towards the end. definitely
light for an imperial

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rampant Imperial IPA from New Belgium Brewing