Rampant Imperial IPA - New Belgium Brewing

Rampant Imperial IPARampant Imperial IPA

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.

(Beer added by: Huffaroma on 02-24-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rampant Imperial IPA Alström Bros

spoonhawk, Jun 30, 2013

Wbassett, Mar 18, 2014

ajzy, Jun 01, 2013

owenlift, Apr 27, 2014

Noe, Jul 01, 2014
1.2/5  rDev -68.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours clear straw gold with a big fluffy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is a lot of plasticky onion with some dank peppery hops and a little sweet malt.

The flavor is a little sweet bready malt followed by a ton of vegetal plasticky green onion that has decent bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, I don't care for this at all. It's a bunch of watery onioney / garlicky hops (summit?). Like a very poor man's Gubna. From reading other reviews, I wondered if I got a bad one, since all I get is onion and no fruity piney hops. But the 6 pack tasted the same - I dumped one of them. It tasted similar on draft too, just more subdued and watery.

Beaver13, Apr 05, 2013
1.2/5  rDev -68.1%

Wow, I'm not one to drain pour a beer, especially not an IPA or DIPA. This beer smells of wet straw and dirt. This beer tastes like it smells. Awful.

Perhaps I should have poured it into a glass, but one smell after opening the bottle revealed this horrible smell. I proceed to take a couple of sips to see if the taste matched the smell. It did. I tried, I really did. Then it went down the drain.

Not sure what they were going for with this DIPA. Perhaps I missed something or my palette isn't experienced enough for this. But I've been a hard core hop head for years now and I don't remember drain pouring even the worst IPA or DIPA. This I couldn't take.

Based on other reviews I wonder if I had a bad bottle or an old bottle. But the best by date is in July and it just hit here. Not sure what to think. But my review stands.

runfoodrun, Mar 15, 2013
1.24/5  rDev -67%

Poured a bit light for an IIPA, good head and looked to be like the mouth feel I wanted.
Smelled like rotten grass...maybe a bad bottle i "thunk", but no the entire sixer!
Tasted like it smelled...hay, or rodent bedding..wet wood shavings with bread yeast...very little hop flavor...like they swept up the store room and hopped with the results, or used a hop schedule meant for a totally different type of beer altogether Terrible beer! I dumped 3/4 of every one i opened...could have gotten a rouge sixer, but don't plan giving it a second chance! I have NO idea how this can be over 80 on here....SERIOUSLY NASTY BEER! Just my opinion...

OutKast, Mar 30, 2013
1.28/5  rDev -66%

katterbe, Aug 14, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -65.4%

There is something definitely wrong with this beer. It has a very odd odor and an even worse taste. I would love to describe it for you, but I can't put a name to it. It is a sick, floral disgusting smell and even worse taste. I generally don't throw out beer, but am strongly considering it on the rest of this six pack. Not a fan of New Belgium in general, but this is the worst.

beergirl35, Feb 06, 2014
1.39/5  rDev -63%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Had one from the folly pack I got not too long ago. Poured from a bottle into a Chimay glass.

A - Heavy copper color with about a 1 inch of froth.

S - Smells like an burn hops a bit. Not much to balance the smell of the abumdant alcohol.

T - A standard imperial IPA. Very unbalanced for all the hops in it.

M - Very harsh. Horrible aftertaste.

Overall, I didn't like the beer. I wouldn't get this beer even if it was given to me for free. Poor display from New Belgium.

wiegs4life, Sep 08, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

bigbeers84, Mar 17, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

JohnnyK, Apr 06, 2014
1.55/5  rDev -58.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours dark gold with a bright 2 finger white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma has grassy hops, melon, onions, biscuit malt, citrus zest, and alcohol. Very unpleasant. I hope it tastes better than it smells.

It does not taste better than it smells. It tastes a bit worse than it smells. There are onions, citrus zest, grassy hops, biscuit malt, alcohol, and some melon. I'm sure New Belgium wanted to try to make something different, but they failed miserably.

Medium bodied with averge carbonation. Finishes very dry and harshly bitter. I don't understand how they can fail to hide 8.50 % abv alcohol, when other breweries hide the alcohol on beers with a higher abv. I don't think I got a bad bottle, I just think this beer sucks.

hardy008, Apr 08, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -53.5%

RHB33, Jun 17, 2014
1.81/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a medium clear gold with a firm white head, some real nice lace.

S: Weeds, vegetation, ethanol.

T: Lots of weedy, dandelion green type flavour. Astringent, not tasty at all, not a fun beer to try to drink.

M: Medium-bodied, fairly crisp, medium carbonation.

O: This beer is horrendous, I hope this is a bad bottle, since this is by far the worst New Belgium beer I've had. Love these guys, but this is a mess.

Halcyondays, Mar 23, 2013
1.98/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Served from a 12oz bottle bought about three weeks ago and kept in a dark chest freezer converted to kegerator. Temperature around 40ºF (+-3ºF). Served to a tulip glass.

Looks good, orange/copper with a nice foamy head. No problem there. The problem starts with the aroma. It's very strong, starts nice, piney, but goes into something weird that I am not sure what it is exactly, but it's pungent and unpleasant. Taste is similar to how the smell finishes, really strong, but not hoppy strong. The hops are there but they're overwhelmed by something off, totally unpleasant. I wonder if this bottle was not good, got skunk or something. I couldn't finish it and more than half of it went down the drain. I will give it another try and re-review. If this is what it is, not impressed at all. Actually, quite opposite.

dionito, Apr 30, 2013

hopazoid, Mar 17, 2013

J-dub, Jan 05, 2014

soonerlight, Oct 13, 2013
2.01/5  rDev -46.5%

This was served from the bottle into a tulip glass.

The beer poured a very light gold with minimal head. I want to emphasize the light color of this beer. Double IPAs surely are supposed to be fairly pale in color, but this beer looked more like a light lager than any double IPA I've ever had. My first impression was that someone had played a trick on me by pouring a Bud Light into a Rampant bottle and capping it. While the IPA and DIPA styles have expanded to allow beers of widely differing appearances, I cannot, with a straight face, say that this looked anything like a DIPA when I poured it.

I was hopeful the aroma would be the redeeming factor, but no. This had none of the typical citrus, pine and floral notes that I typically expect in a DIPA. Nor was there any malt backbone on the aroma. Sure, there was a hop aroma present, but it was in no way true to the style. My friend's description of the aroma hits it spot on: it smelled like the inside of a gym bag. I'm not talking about the dank hop character present in some IPAs - this just smelled like they dumped random hops at the end of boil, with no concern as to the different aroma contributions of each.

The taste was equally disappointing. There certainly was the bitterness one would expect from a DIPA, but in no way could it be described as true to style. There was no real citrus flavor or complexity - just bitterness for the sake of bitterness. And let me be clear: I am not someone who automatically knocks a DIPA for being unbalanced. On the contrary, I thoroughly enjoy unbalanced hop bombs so long as the hop character provides the expected citrus character of an IPA. This, however, completely missed. It tasted like New Belgium took their standard IPA recipe, watered it down to make a double batch, but quadrupled the hop bill.

The mouthfeel was very thin, which again makes it seem like a watered-down, over-hopped IPA.

I typically refrain from writing severely negative reviews, but this beer was so disappointing that I felt it was necessary. I like a lot of New Belgium products, and I was excited to see they were releasing an Imperial IPA. Unfortunately, they completely missed on this one. Every aspect of the beer makes it seem like a watered-down, over-hopped IPA.

Give it a shot if you feel so compelled, but don't expect anything close to a "typical" imperial/double IPAs. New Belgium really butchered the style with this beer, in my opinion.

mkbeirne, Mar 18, 2013