Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Rampant Imperial IPA - New Belgium Brewing

Rampant Imperial IPARampant Imperial IPA

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Huffaroma on 02-24-2013

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.
Reviews: 408 | Hads: 2,467
1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

Poured a bit light for an IIPA, good head and looked to be like the mouth feel I wanted.
Smelled like rotten grass...maybe a bad bottle i "thunk", but no the entire sixer!
Tasted like it smelled...hay, or rodent bedding..wet wood shavings with bread yeast...very little hop flavor...like they swept up the store room and hopped with the results, or used a hop schedule meant for a totally different type of beer altogether Terrible beer! I dumped 3/4 of every one i opened...could have gotten a rouge sixer, but don't plan giving it a second chance! I have NO idea how this can be over 80 on here....SERIOUSLY NASTY BEER! Just my opinion... (640 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had a hard time locating a good brew for this evening and i realized i have never picked up this beer. I am very suspect of this brewery seeing that i feel they are very over rated. I love Imperial beers and especially ipa's. I cracked open the bottle and it had a very nice resiny smell to it and i found myself not so Leary of this beer. It has a very piney,earthy no so tropical fruit smell to it which is fine but i do prefer the fruity IPA's myself. The taste was good but not great, it reminded me of a tame Six Point Resin with its very piney, grassy bitter notes..The mouth feel was pretty good, it seemed to coat my mouth gently and it went down very smooth. Overall this was a pretty decent beer by New Belgium and i would probably drink this again if i were in a bind and could find none of my favorites or beers on my to drink list. (846 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The balance is very nice between hops and malts. New Belgium is a good brand, fairly priced.

Look -- good. NIce lacing.
Smell -- good.
Taste -- very nicely balanced. It is a grown up Ranger
Feel -- Feels like the quality is in it...matches the good balance.
Overall -- I liked the single IPA Ranger, too, but for the money this is my New Belgium IPA winner. (362 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

This beer, though great, is kind of a compromise beer for me. It's got 0.4 more % ABV than my favorite strong ale, Devil's Backbone, but its flavor is less distinct and it's significantly heavier feeling. I am a gigantic fan of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, and honestly, this beer just pales in comparison. I don't feel obliged to heave a large sigh after each sip, because the flavor is just....well, less remarkable.

That't not to say that the flavor isn't excellent. I don't have a bottle at the moment but I recall a very thick, borderline smoothie-like consistency with very hoppy flavor, vanilla overtones, and hints of chocolate. For 9 bucks a six pack at the gas station it's a great buy considering that a single beer i equivalent to two regular 4.25% ABV drinks of the same size. Discovered this one when I bought the "New Belgium Folly" 12 Pack; to be perfectly honest it's not highly distinguishable from Ranger and the other IPA's offered by New Belgium. But if you like hops and IPA's in general, you will not likely find this beer offensive. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is the only beer I've tried yet that exceeds Rampant's ABV, and I much prefer Rampant. It goes down far smoother and is less obvious in its alcohol content. While I wish the hops flavor was stronger/more distinguished, this is one of the key brews on my roster.

Good price, great taste, and **outstanding** ABV for the flavor. When I need to save a couple bucks or I want to really get fucked up off a single six pack, this is my first choice. New Belgium produces high quality brews across the board and this one is a star. My only reservation is that we've got em beat here in Texas. And Cali. Definitely recommended. (1,703 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

End of the tap, so the review is a little tainted.

a- yellowy orange

s- a tiny bit of hops and a tiny bit of citrus- if it was cold and fresh this could be huge

t- the citrus and fruitiness is very upfront and exciting but ultimately it tastes very sugary and concentrated. Not malty but not balanced either. Upside is that it's 8.5 and it hides it fairly well.

m- boozey bubbly, no surprises

0- I really think I would like this beer if it was ice cold and properly carbonated. (482 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Favorite go-to DIPA from Colorado. It is malty sweet and then hops come in and take over a little bit and then it finishes with a slight sweet alcohol flavor. For a year round beer that is crazy affordable and 8.5%, you cant go wrong here. Get some! 4.25/5
O.B.D91 (264 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Coppery body. Medium milky off-white head.

S: Holy Lemon Zest Batman! Then lots of grass.

T: Not lemon! Fresh cut grass, More grass, Pine, a little sweetness, lingering bitterness. Very fresh hops taste throughout. Dry finish.

M: Light/Medium for style. Not too sticky.

O: Very unique in that I haven't tasted such strong fresh hops flavors before. Tastes like my Centennial hops on the vine smells. (408 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This one surprised me. I now know what "wet" feels like. This is the wettest IPA, let alone beer, that I've ever had. Extremely nice mouthfeel, very smooth and refreshing. A great summer Imperial IPA. Way 2 go New Belgium, you finally have something I will come back for many, many times. (288 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +30.5%

L: solid yellow golden ale. Nice white head. Bubble galore from head to base. Very carb, but natural.

S: very sweet and piney. Very fruity hop. It smells like they said "oh you like this? Here is more to enjoy". It SMELLS bitter. Its very robust.

T: it feelsmlike the moisture ismevaporationg from ,y tongue, and is layering pine onmmy tongue. It coats it in its sweet cashmere texture and settles there front and middle of tongue. I doint know my malts but the sweet is very fruity. The description is peach which I guess i can see., Its still kind of hard to pin point certain points, but I can tell its not floral or citrus.

F: not water which is nice. Its not heavy or chewy. I see bubbles but not carbonated by CO2, but bubbles on tongue. Coats lovely. Lingers which is welcomed.

New Belgium is truly one of my new favorite breweries. Their Portage is one of my fave porters, this is one of my fave Imperials. I find myself eyeballing Portage telling myself I want it badly' and I will do the same with Rampant. (1,020 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Happy to find a six pack of this in our local store; hadn't tried before.

Glass bottle poured into pint glass.

Gold with slight orange tint; 1/2 foam, good lacing.

Smells appealing, rich, boozy without harsh alcohol smell

Great hop flavor and surprisingly smooth for alcohol content; well done. I am not a huge fan of New Belgium's Fat Tire and so wasn't sure if the IPA would have a familiar taste note, but would not have guessed this was New Belgium.

Rich feel and holds up well. Mouth feels a little coated at the end.

Overall I was very happy and impressed with this. I'll admit I haven't tried too many offerings from New Belgium other than Fat Tire and I will have to give them another look, this was very good and enjoyable. Almost 'too rich' (hence, the 'Imperial' IPA) for just having with dinner or while watching a game; more of a destination beer than I was expecting. looking forward to trying the Ranger now. (929 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

I realize it is an imperial, but this one fails to balance out the bitterness. "Burly" as the description puts it is right. Perhaps a bit too burly. I enjoy it, but there's too much IPA competition for me to buy it regularly. Still rates solidly in my book. (261 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I concede that I might have served this too cold, but still, New Belgium disappoints me every single time...

Smell was great, very much a pine like aroma plus some pleasant fruity smell
Taste was ok, hoppy yet smooth, and I agree with a previous poster that this beer was not overhopped. But still comes with a signature metallic under taste that comes with any kind of New Belgium beer.
However, it was able to hide its relatively high alc. content with its smooth taste.
Overall felt similar to Hop Czar, but if I could choose, I'd get Hop Tsar every time if I wanted hoppiness in my beer. I can't get over the fact that New Belgium always has a funny under taste in its beers (681 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is only my second or third venture into an imperial IPA. Picked up a six pack for about nine bucks. Pouring it into the glass released an immediate hop smell, which is exactly what I was looking for. I don't pout aggressively so I only got about a finger of head. It dissipated to a point, but there's about 1/4 finger worth sticking around. It is a clear golden-amber color. Lacing is great. It smells of a crap ton of hops. I'm still working out my pallet and nose, but I do pick up a hint of citrus. When drinking I taste hops, then a bit of pear (which I wouldn't have guessed unless the label said so), a tiny bit of citrus, then a piney finish. Overall I enjoyed this beer. I was craving a good IPA and this fulfilled my craving (739 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Clear, straw color. One finger of foamy white head. Good looking beer.
S - Grapefruit, hints of berry (?), hops.
T - Bitter, grapefruit rind, lots of hops, balanced a bit by some bready notes.
M - Dry, light body. Slightly oily. Not diacetyl, but still rather unpleasant.
O - Nice flavors, definitely comes across as an IIPA, but the mouthfeel is just offputting enough that I probably won't order this again. (413 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +9.8%

I love IPA's and this is probably by FAR the best IPA I have ever had.. Its smooth, tastes great, smells amazing.. I really love the strong hoppy smell mixed with peach.. that is a rare but GREAT mix.. This could possibly be my #1 favorite beer. If you like IPA's you have to try this... If you had this and don't like it, then either you don't like IPA's or you like lower quality IPA's because this is the best IPA to hit my lips and I've tried tons. It has quality you can taste. (482 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -39.8%

This is the first beer I've had that has finally driven me to write a review. Unfortunately, for the wrong reasons.

Poured into a red wine glass.

Appearance: A nice, golden-amber color with a foamy white head about an inch thick.

Smell: Stale hay or corn is the predominant aroma I get, which threw me aback slightly, but I thought the taste would prove otherwise. Not too complex, slight hoppiness.

Taste: A surprisingly unpleasant experience. I was not prepared for the odd aftertaste. Alcohol presence really isn't there for an 8.5% beer but the stale straw taste is very prevalent. Not nearly as hoppy as I would expect from an imperial IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation, dry.

Overall: A very unpleasant experience from the start but did improve slightly as the beer warmed with time. Would not recommend to anyone and will only drink in the future because it has ethanol in it and I hate to see money go to waste. 2/5.

Disclaimer: I checked the expiration date just to make sure that wasn't a factor and it is not. I did however purchase the beer cold, store it at room temperature, then refrigerated again before drinking. Although, I have done this multiple times in the past with no adverse effects. I am by no means a beer snob, and I have no problem drinking budweiser, bud light, etc. and was very surprised by how bad this actually tasted. In fact, this is only the second beer after anchor christmas ale that I have said to myself, "Wow, this is a terrible beer." (1,494 characters)

do you like IPAs?

do you like them being even more IPA than regular IPAs are,
with a wonderfully-balanced flavor and smoothness
that belies the sharp alcohol hiding behind the piney citrus notes?

drink this.
drink it VERY MUCH.

it is one of the best IPAs I've had -- right up there with Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA.

it kicks Ranger -- which is pretty good -- right out of the ballpark.

seriously, drink Rampant if you want to know what a really good IPA tastes like. (485 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Saw a 6 pack for $9.99 at my local grocery store and simply couldn't resist... I'm glad I gave it a shot!

A
Fairly standard appearance for an ipa. Very clear, medium brown and capped with a fluffy white head. Very appealing.

S
The smell, similar to the appearance, is standard for the style. Very sharp hop aroma permeates this beer and really doesn't let up... Bitter, angry smelling beer with a hint of alcohol.

T
Taste is the high point of this brew... Extremely bitter, harsh and one dimensional. If you like an honest to goodness DIPA, this is your beer. (I love it.)

M
A little sticky, quite bubbly, and slightly tannic. Very nice.

O
A wonderful beer for hardcore IPA lovers... Not much in the way of malt character, but I'm willing to look past it's shortcomings. (778 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow. This is an exceptionally well crafted IPA.

Little back-story: I asked New Belgium to send me a six-pack of this beer to give it a try--they never got back to me. I was kind of disappointed that the brewery wouldn't even respond to a beer fan who reached out. But, I put that aside and decided to give this beer a chance.

A: Poured from a 12 oz. Bottle into a standard pint glass from The Arena, in Ann Arbor. I'm moving tomorrow and all my glassware is packed away, so this was all I had. Pours a beautiful copper-gold (Cu-Ag) colour, with a small, off-white head. The half-finger of head thins out to a very fine layer throughout, a little bit of lacing. The beer has a really great colour--looks really well.

S: The aroma is well-balanced. I can't really pin it down. It's so smooth. I defer to the Notes & Commercial Description here: "The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma" that says it best. Great aroma's on this beer.

T: Noticeably smooth with a good balance of bitter. Initially I thought "Wow, that is bitter" but the taste is very fitting with the beer--really good.

F: Dry, bitter, and a heavy warmth sits well in the belly. The feel goes along nicely with the other aspects of this beer to round-out an overall great Imperial IPA

O: This is a really good Imperial IPA. I wish New Belgium responded when I reached out. I'll have to give this brewery more a chance next time I'm looking for something different. Again, really good. (1,554 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +10.3%

If you have ever tried Dogfishhead's 90 minute I.P.A. then you know exactly what this beer is all about. Floral smells, hoppy character, dry finish, with a high a.b.v. This beer has a better price, so if I was in the mood for those characteristics, I would pick this one up for sure. (283 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

i totally love this beer. i almost hate new belgium. seriously, has one brewery ever had so many beers taste so closely alike? fat tire, ranger, dig and snow day all have that weird extra toasted flavor that i used to love till i realized it showed up in everything they brew. now it just makes me nauseous..well, most of the time, because they finally brewed a balanced beer, one hopped well enough to handle that surplus of toasted malt or whatever that taste is, like they spilled too much in and said "screw it, bottle it and sell it. Rampant is rather sweet and a little of this flavor can go a long way. the appearance is a vibrant golden, slight copper hue that is almost perfectly clear with a decent head and really good lacing, which i wouldn't expect with how clear the beer is. the aroma is intense its... (reloading)... oops, i accidentally opened a fat tire that someone left over...i'll just give that to the dog, ok, rampant, yes, the aroma is a loud balance of citrusy and piney off the charts. Taste is, like i said, sweet. Maybe a bit grassy but not too dry. All in all this is something very different in the realm of IPAs over all. awesome beer. bit of a break from the norm. hell, it may even cause me to become more optimistic about trying future new belgium releases. (1,291 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -45.6%

This was served from the bottle into a tulip glass.

The beer poured a very light gold with minimal head. I want to emphasize the light color of this beer. Double IPAs surely are supposed to be fairly pale in color, but this beer looked more like a light lager than any double IPA I've ever had. My first impression was that someone had played a trick on me by pouring a Bud Light into a Rampant bottle and capping it. While the IPA and DIPA styles have expanded to allow beers of widely differing appearances, I cannot, with a straight face, say that this looked anything like a DIPA when I poured it.

I was hopeful the aroma would be the redeeming factor, but no. This had none of the typical citrus, pine and floral notes that I typically expect in a DIPA. Nor was there any malt backbone on the aroma. Sure, there was a hop aroma present, but it was in no way true to the style. My friend's description of the aroma hits it spot on: it smelled like the inside of a gym bag. I'm not talking about the dank hop character present in some IPAs - this just smelled like they dumped random hops at the end of boil, with no concern as to the different aroma contributions of each.

The taste was equally disappointing. There certainly was the bitterness one would expect from a DIPA, but in no way could it be described as true to style. There was no real citrus flavor or complexity - just bitterness for the sake of bitterness. And let me be clear: I am not someone who automatically knocks a DIPA for being unbalanced. On the contrary, I thoroughly enjoy unbalanced hop bombs so long as the hop character provides the expected citrus character of an IPA. This, however, completely missed. It tasted like New Belgium took their standard IPA recipe, watered it down to make a double batch, but quadrupled the hop bill.

The mouthfeel was very thin, which again makes it seem like a watered-down, over-hopped IPA.

I typically refrain from writing severely negative reviews, but this beer was so disappointing that I felt it was necessary. I like a lot of New Belgium products, and I was excited to see they were releasing an Imperial IPA. Unfortunately, they completely missed on this one. Every aspect of the beer makes it seem like a watered-down, over-hopped IPA.

Give it a shot if you feel so compelled, but don't expect anything close to a "typical" imperial/double IPAs. New Belgium really butchered the style with this beer, in my opinion. (2,447 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Bought a refrigerated six-pack at Wilbur's in Fort Collins Feb. 27, 2013- two days before the official release date.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color. Nice white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of hops and malt. Not especially heavy with citrus or pine notes as with other IPAs. Mouth feel is a little thin. Taste is bitter with some malt. Little or no citrus or pine hop flavor. Bitter aftertaste. This is an imperial IPA but, the alcohol is not particularly noticeable. This IPA tastes a lot like New Belgium Ranger IPA with a very similar hop profile and balance. If you like Ranger IPA, you will like the Rampant IPA too. In my view, it is a good IPA but, nothing really special.. (699 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The very definition of a double Ranger...Sweeter, a bit more bitter, and often only $.50 more than Ranger! Its feel suffers from the a similar thin-ness to Ranger, but this one just feels more syrupy. Maybe its just overally resinous but I'm not sure. Another great budget Double IPA. (284 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

Appearance-browner than your typical IPA, almost caramel appearance, great foam body but almost too dark for an Imperial IPA

Aroma- crisp under-body with a great hoppy after smell. Has a very true craft brew aroma

Taste- very bitter at the beginning with almost a fruity watermelon under-tone. After taste is crisp and surprisingly spicy! Definite New Belgium product

Feel-BIBLICAL!

Overall: I think this is another great imperial. I have yet to come across one I don't like. Kind of low ABV for an imperial, 8.5, but defiantly a beer for even non-hop heads. My old man tried one and coming from a non-traditional "beer drinker" he very much enjoyed it. New Belgium has surprised me again with their version of the Imp. IPA! (729 characters)

Rampant Imperial IPA from New Belgium Brewing