Rampant Imperial IPA - New Belgium Brewing

Rampant Imperial IPARampant Imperial IPA

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Huffaroma on 02-24-2013

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rampant Imperial IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,429 | Reviews: 429
2.03/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Served from a 12oz bottle bought about three weeks ago and kept in a dark chest freezer converted to kegerator. Temperature around 40ºF (+-3ºF). Served to a tulip glass.

Looks good, orange/copper with a nice foamy head. No problem there. The problem starts with the aroma. It's very strong, starts nice, piney, but goes into something weird that I am not sure what it is exactly, but it's pungent and unpleasant. Taste is similar to how the smell finishes, really strong, but not hoppy strong. The hops are there but they're overwhelmed by something off, totally unpleasant. I wonder if this bottle was not good, got skunk or something. I couldn't finish it and more than half of it went down the drain. I will give it another try and re-review. If this is what it is, not impressed at all. Actually, quite opposite.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I feel this beer deserves a full review because it is quite interesting.
From bottle pours a rich hue amber, but really looks kinda of light when you consider
it is to be an imperial IPA.
The smell is very good. The hoppy on top of off fruit notes.
Taste... Now I was a little perplexed. I was gearing up for my taste buds to be punted by
hops, and was almost disappointed when they weren't.
For 8.5% this beer is dangerously drinkable like a plain ol' lager or middle road IPA.
I mean it is good don't get me wrong, but I was seeking more after the scent.
Should have known by the color.
If you're the type of beer seeker that wants a rich double dead guy like hop head deal, you
will be extremely disappointed.
If you want a mellow IPA that's boozy and you want to get drunk almost twice on 9 bucks then knock yourself out. I'm not above it either.
For 9 bucks I might get it again on occasion, but there is nothing life changing here.
Another decent offering from NB.
Also what a deal for a 6 pack.

Review from iPhone so brevity is key. I enjoyed this drink. Rated against other imperial IPA beers I would have to say it is very disappointing. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has much better flavor. But rated against other, regular IPAs, it can hold its own.

4.46/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very good for a not craft beer

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

Tasted fishy.... Yeck!

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had a hard time locating a good brew for this evening and i realized i have never picked up this beer. I am very suspect of this brewery seeing that i feel they are very over rated. I love Imperial beers and especially ipa's. I cracked open the bottle and it had a very nice resiny smell to it and i found myself not so Leary of this beer. It has a very piney,earthy no so tropical fruit smell to it which is fine but i do prefer the fruity IPA's myself. The taste was good but not great, it reminded me of a tame Six Point Resin with its very piney, grassy bitter notes..The mouth feel was pretty good, it seemed to coat my mouth gently and it went down very smooth. Overall this was a pretty decent beer by New Belgium and i would probably drink this again if i were in a bind and could find none of my favorites or beers on my to drink list.

1.25/5  rDev -67%

Poured a bit light for an IIPA, good head and looked to be like the mouth feel I wanted.
Smelled like rotten grass...maybe a bad bottle i "thunk", but no the entire sixer!
Tasted like it smelled...hay, or rodent bedding..wet wood shavings with bread yeast...very little hop flavor...like they swept up the store room and hopped with the results, or used a hop schedule meant for a totally different type of beer altogether Terrible beer! I dumped 3/4 of every one i opened...could have gotten a rouge sixer, but don't plan giving it a second chance! I have NO idea how this can be over 80 on here....SERIOUSLY NASTY BEER! Just my opinion...

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

For the price this is a great Imperial IPA.I have no complaints about this beer.No need for a snobbery rating.4s across the board with a mouthfeel of 4.25.I was not a fan of the Fat Tire but having this I may revisit New Belgium more.Going to have another now.Cheers!

3.56/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

End of the tap, so the review is a little tainted.

a- yellowy orange

s- a tiny bit of hops and a tiny bit of citrus- if it was cold and fresh this could be huge

t- the citrus and fruitiness is very upfront and exciting but ultimately it tastes very sugary and concentrated. Not malty but not balanced either. Upside is that it's 8.5 and it hides it fairly well.

m- boozey bubbly, no surprises

0- I really think I would like this beer if it was ice cold and properly carbonated.

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Favorite go-to DIPA from Colorado. It is malty sweet and then hops come in and take over a little bit and then it finishes with a slight sweet alcohol flavor. For a year round beer that is crazy affordable and 8.5%, you cant go wrong here. Get some! 4.25/5
O.B.D91

4.82/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great as usual from New Belgium.

3.42/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Strong alcohol kind of suppresses the floral and citrisy/grassy flavors/aroma but still a very nics drink. Bot a big fan of New Belgium but this along with Snapshot are very good offerings.

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Coppery body. Medium milky off-white head.

S: Holy Lemon Zest Batman! Then lots of grass.

T: Not lemon! Fresh cut grass, More grass, Pine, a little sweetness, lingering bitterness. Very fresh hops taste throughout. Dry finish.

M: Light/Medium for style. Not too sticky.

O: Very unique in that I haven't tasted such strong fresh hops flavors before. Tastes like my Centennial hops on the vine smells.

4.58/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This one surprised me. I now know what "wet" feels like. This is the wettest IPA, let alone beer, that I've ever had. Extremely nice mouthfeel, very smooth and refreshing. A great summer Imperial IPA. Way 2 go New Belgium, you finally have something I will come back for many, many times.

4.92/5  rDev +29.8%

L: solid yellow golden ale. Nice white head. Bubble galore from head to base. Very carb, but natural.

S: very sweet and piney. Very fruity hop. It smells like they said "oh you like this? Here is more to enjoy". It SMELLS bitter. Its very robust.

T: it feelsmlike the moisture ismevaporationg from ,y tongue, and is layering pine onmmy tongue. It coats it in its sweet cashmere texture and settles there front and middle of tongue. I doint know my malts but the sweet is very fruity. The description is peach which I guess i can see., Its still kind of hard to pin point certain points, but I can tell its not floral or citrus.

F: not water which is nice. Its not heavy or chewy. I see bubbles but not carbonated by CO2, but bubbles on tongue. Coats lovely. Lingers which is welcomed.

New Belgium is truly one of my new favorite breweries. Their Portage is one of my fave porters, this is one of my fave Imperials. I find myself eyeballing Portage telling myself I want it badly' and I will do the same with Rampant.

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Rampantly delicious, say no more.

4.67/5  rDev +23.2%

One of my goto beers

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Happy to find a six pack of this in our local store; hadn't tried before.

Glass bottle poured into pint glass.

Gold with slight orange tint; 1/2 foam, good lacing.

Smells appealing, rich, boozy without harsh alcohol smell

Great hop flavor and surprisingly smooth for alcohol content; well done. I am not a huge fan of New Belgium's Fat Tire and so wasn't sure if the IPA would have a familiar taste note, but would not have guessed this was New Belgium.

Rich feel and holds up well. Mouth feels a little coated at the end.

Overall I was very happy and impressed with this. I'll admit I haven't tried too many offerings from New Belgium other than Fat Tire and I will have to give them another look, this was very good and enjoyable. Almost 'too rich' (hence, the 'Imperial' IPA) for just having with dinner or while watching a game; more of a destination beer than I was expecting. looking forward to trying the Ranger now.

2.74/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I concede that I might have served this too cold, but still, New Belgium disappoints me every single time...

Smell was great, very much a pine like aroma plus some pleasant fruity smell
Taste was ok, hoppy yet smooth, and I agree with a previous poster that this beer was not overhopped. But still comes with a signature metallic under taste that comes with any kind of New Belgium beer.
However, it was able to hide its relatively high alc. content with its smooth taste.
Overall felt similar to Hop Czar, but if I could choose, I'd get Hop Tsar every time if I wanted hoppiness in my beer. I can't get over the fact that New Belgium always has a funny under taste in its beers

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is only my second or third venture into an imperial IPA. Picked up a six pack for about nine bucks. Pouring it into the glass released an immediate hop smell, which is exactly what I was looking for. I don't pout aggressively so I only got about a finger of head. It dissipated to a point, but there's about 1/4 finger worth sticking around. It is a clear golden-amber color. Lacing is great. It smells of a crap ton of hops. I'm still working out my pallet and nose, but I do pick up a hint of citrus. When drinking I taste hops, then a bit of pear (which I wouldn't have guessed unless the label said so), a tiny bit of citrus, then a piney finish. Overall I enjoyed this beer. I was craving a good IPA and this fulfilled my craving

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

I realize it is an imperial, but this one fails to balance out the bitterness. "Burly" as the description puts it is right. Perhaps a bit too burly. I enjoy it, but there's too much IPA competition for me to buy it regularly. Still rates solidly in my book.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

This beer, though great, is kind of a compromise beer for me. It's got 0.4 more % ABV than my favorite strong ale, Devil's Backbone, but its flavor is less distinct and it's significantly heavier feeling. I am a gigantic fan of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, and honestly, this beer just pales in comparison. I don't feel obliged to heave a large sigh after each sip, because the flavor is just....well, less remarkable.

That't not to say that the flavor isn't excellent. I don't have a bottle at the moment but I recall a very thick, borderline smoothie-like consistency with very hoppy flavor, vanilla overtones, and hints of chocolate. For 9 bucks a six pack at the gas station it's a great buy considering that a single beer i equivalent to two regular 4.25% ABV drinks of the same size. Discovered this one when I bought the "New Belgium Folly" 12 Pack; to be perfectly honest it's not highly distinguishable from Ranger and the other IPA's offered by New Belgium. But if you like hops and IPA's in general, you will not likely find this beer offensive. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is the only beer I've tried yet that exceeds Rampant's ABV, and I much prefer Rampant. It goes down far smoother and is less obvious in its alcohol content. While I wish the hops flavor was stronger/more distinguished, this is one of the key brews on my roster.

Good price, great taste, and **outstanding** ABV for the flavor. When I need to save a couple bucks or I want to really get fucked up off a single six pack, this is my first choice. New Belgium produces high quality brews across the board and this one is a star. My only reservation is that we've got em beat here in Texas. And Cali. Definitely recommended.

Rampant IPA is nothing less than the "go-to" beer for a powerful and satisfying IPA. If you want to drink a beer that gives you an experience more than just a buzz and you want character and flavor that will put you on your ass--in a good way--and you have the palate for a hoppy bold beer, then this is the beer for you. It is impressive how many citrus overtones are packed behind the punch of the hoppiness which is a feat that few can successfully accomplish.

A-This beer pours a rich deep golden amber color somewhat ironically, but has been kissed with a delicate white foam of tickling happiness that is nothing short of perfection. I think you will echo the adage when I say it here, 'don't neglect the head'...and this one has a great one.

S-The aroma is a pleasant balance of rich hoppiness and citrus, orange, and pine, but delicately freckled with subtle hints of nutty zest.

T-The taste is something you must brace yourself for, because the aroma tells tales of a gentle caressing of the tongue and palate. The taste is bold and the hops can kick you in the gut IF you aren't ready for it or if you don't like that, but I think it is safe to say that all who buy a six pack of Rampant are ready for a lashing.

Overall-I would say that this beer never fails to disappoint and is my go-to beer when I can't find any other IPA that I haven't tried yet or don't trust to be hoppy enough. New Belgium has done it again and I think Rampant is worth every penny. Just be sure to drink it from a nice glass in order to get the full experience, because the head and appearance are every bit as savory and pleasurable as the flavor itself. Do not mistreat this baby, for she delivers every time.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

For the price, this one is hard to beat for the DIPA fan.

3.45/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Clear, straw color. One finger of foamy white head. Good looking beer.
S - Grapefruit, hints of berry (?), hops.
T - Bitter, grapefruit rind, lots of hops, balanced a bit by some bready notes.
M - Dry, light body. Slightly oily. Not diacetyl, but still rather unpleasant.
O - Nice flavors, definitely comes across as an IIPA, but the mouthfeel is just offputting enough that I probably won't order this again.

Rampant Imperial IPA from New Belgium Brewing