Rampant Imperial IPA - New Belgium Brewing

Rampant Imperial IPARampant Imperial IPA

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Huffaroma on 02-24-2013

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.
Reviews: 430 | Hads: 2,548
3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Drank from a 16oz lager glass at 40F

Poured a exceptionally clear light amber gold. No cloudiness. Nice white
Head with small bubbles. The color and clarity stand out. Very light for an imperial and very clear for any craft brew.

Taste was as-described. It's important note that the hop bill is not pop culture derived. It's truly unique and non standard. I did not taste the peaches but did taste distinctively fruity and vibrant less common hop. Very bitter and drinkable.

Zero cloying, sugar, syrup, effect. Well done at 8.5abv.

Best feature is that the flavor profile is unique and attractive. No pop culture sycophantic copying of hops or malt presence found in many of today's new craft brews.

Could easily cyclone down 6 or 8 and really regret it the next day.

Not remarkable but definitely memorable and respectable.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Picked up a six pack as soon as I realized this hit the shelves. Initial pour looked way lighter than I was expecting(why do I even bother to read the stupid ass BevMo info as its consistently asinine), Other than the stark paleness what really stood out was the tightly packed foam head coming off an ample carbonation. Reminds me of a crazy pale Hop Stoopid.

Aroma was the bell of the ball where Ranger is concerned. Sweet malt dominates, slight fruit. Almost vanilla sweetness from the malt. Reminds me of Frosted Flakes. Made me salivate. Got my hopes up a bit.

Taste is a bit unusual. Very light, unoffensive, serviceable malt frames this offering. Almost like the palate is dropped into a void of pale malt. This allows the tip/sides of the tongue to go searching for the hops(there were supposed to be some damned hops amirite). The hops appear in short order; honestly they just appear out of the pale malt void to dance on the tongue. Its too bad the dancers aren't more to my liking. Slightly floralish, wannabe fruitishness, ultimately a big herbal yeast monster. The finish lacks bitterness associated with most DIPA's I enjoy. The problem for me is that the hops are not infused throughout this beer. It takes a layered/ expansive approach which I'm sure was intended, but just comes off as a little too cute considering the dearth of fruit/pine/traditional IPA characteristics. Any fruit present is an absolute afterthought, and arguably more to do with the malt sweetness than hops. Not to tip my hand too far on this one, but would it have killed them to dry hop this one? I guess for $7.99 a six(regular priced, not sale) they couldn't go too crazy. Seems a perfect fit for supermarket shelves. Very Rangerish.

Mouthfeel was not a major weakness. Judging by the paleness alone I expected regular IPA as opposed to imperial and for the most part thats what it is. It definitely doesn't offend, but you can tell the malt bill was light(pun intended)

Overall I would recommend this to fans of New Belgium and only to fans of New Belgium. They serve their role as a counterpoint to the Uber and maintain a unique vision. Very similar to past offerings from this brewery. I was hoping to see them try something different, but why change what obviou$ly work$ $o well.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rampant Imperial IPA
New Belgium Brewing, Colorado
---from bottle to pint glass---

Bright-Clear golden color, Two fingers of white head, great lacing.

Whoa! Bright citrus, bit of pine, loads of grapefruit, and a little funky/earthy aroma. I dig!

Powerful piney and grassy flavors at first, but they give way to juicy citrus. Sweet malt sticks around.

Medium body, good balance of bitter to sweet, good carbonation.

Overwhelming resinous flavor at first sip, but overall very good. Smells great, looks like a miller lite with great lacing. I’d drink this again.

3.89/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - tangerine color with a reddish hue. Very clear with about 1 finger of foamy white head.

S - Nice cirtusy scents here. Grapefruit, peaches, mango's. A small amount of piney smell also. No alcohol present.

T - Grapefruit, followed by some nice piney bitterness, then you get a tad bit of the stone fruit(not as much as the nose indicated or I would have liked) followed by a mildly boozy finish. Some floral hops in the aftertaste.

M - Medium to full body, good amount of carbonation.

O - This was not a bad DIPA, not blowing my hair back but still good. At its price point not a bad buy.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a tulip glass from bottle, enjoy by date is Dec, 2014 (having it in Oct)

pours a hazy copper tone, smells tremendous, 1 cm head, not much lacing

smell as noted is good, great hoppy aroma, I do detect a bit of combo of citrus and peach in aroma.
initial taste is a glorious mix of hop bitterness with just an ever so slight malt balance, the finish not too bitter, but definitely a little dry for my taste.

Overall, very good, not great.

3.09/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was not a big fan of this beer at all. Calls itself and IPA and has 85 IBUs but the hop finish is not very pleasant. You can tell it's a New Belgium beer (tastes like an off-shoot of Fat Tire). It's 8.5% ABV is not hidden/blended well at all. It finishes really rough on the alcohol somehow even at only 8.5%. I just did not enjoy this beer very much.

4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

serve it in a tulip glass to get the full bouquet, this Imperial IPA is, IMHO, the best beer that New Belgium makes. Mosaic, Calypso, Centennial hops balanced with a hint of toasted malt make this one of my favorites, and a benchmark I judge other Imperial IPA's by. With a lovely citrus aroma, dry finish and a delicious fruity aftertaste, I can't find another IPA as good for $7 a six pack...

3.27/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had Ranger IPA and figured that its bigger brother ought to be great. Boy was I in for a let down! It looks and smells alot like Ranger, so when I tasted it, I kind of didnt believe it. The word vegetable is the only thing that came to mind. Sweet flowery vegetable. My dad had one and he gave me the same look that I think I initially gave the beer. He also was at a loss for words but we agreed on "vegetable". I am a hop head and I love IIPAs. This is at the bottom of the list for me. They shoulda tried to make it more like Ranger. And is it just me, or do all the New Belgium beers have a problem with head retention?

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A--Gold to possible light amber color with medium to thick head and good lacing around the glass. Cloudy as well.

S--Pine and citrus primarily on the nose. I'm a bit stuffed up, so it's kind of hard to differentiate the citrus. Smells like I would expect an Imperial/Double IPA to.

T--Citrus really comes across as grapefruit on the tongue. Big, bitter hit and a great dry finish. Very enjoyable. I can pick up the alcohol as well. Only thing I would say is the bitter might hang on just a bit too long, but IPAs aren't my favorite style so it could be right up most people's alley.

M--Medium body with decent carbonation. Quite drinkable in that regard.

O--Good IPA with the bitter hit you'd expect, and the citrus/grapefruit bit is enjoyable as well.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by date of Oct. 5, 2014. 8.5% ABV

4.65/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

poured into a snifter glass. drank on 3/25/13 with an expiration date of july 14th 2013

A- 2 fingers of pitch white bubbly head and a light golden orange body. very faint lines of carbonation floating around.

S- skunky european pilsner hops all the wait. smells like a stella, but more pungent. very pleasant.

T- very similar profile from the aroma. very skunky and herbal. not as punchy and mean as a double IPA usually can be. It's an herbal take on a DIPA. Very cool.

M- silky smooth with a light bit of carbonation. medium bodied. fairly dry. very nice.

O- I love this beer! It's an approachable double IPA. to me, it's a european pilsner all jacked up and i'm really impressed. not what you would expect in a DIPA, and I like that. New Belgium scores with this one by me.

3.21/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Let me start of by saying that I really enjoy most of NB's beers; however, I am not a fan of their IPA, and now, their DIPA. Rampant, in my opinion, is a sort of quasi-imperial IPA. It has the ABV and the upfront hoppy nose/taste of a DIPA, but the appearance and complexities set this apart from others. I don't mean to be harsh, but here goes...

The ale pours out a clear, gold with a 1.5 finger head; slightest shade of orange, as well; head is soapy, but hung around for most of the session. Smell is mostly hoppy, but not citrusy/piney hops we are accustomed to; I sensed notes of pungent earth, grass, weeds, and chives. The taste coats your mouth in a layer of hops with a slightly sweet finish; a swirl around the mouth, though, releases some odd flavors - more like a compost pile than bouquet of flowers; more like rotting fruit than bright, refreshing citrus flavors; funky. The mouthfeel is one redeeming quality of Rampant; light to medium bodied, with a long finish; moderate carbonation.

The more I drank, the more I wanted to stop, but I wanted to give it a fair chance. Overall, a miss by NB. If this is strictly a spring-release, I hope next year's batch will be better. A tad bit fruitier and less funky. Give it a shot, though. I could be wrong...

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

For the price this is a great Imperial IPA.I have no complaints about this beer.No need for a snobbery rating.4s across the board with a mouthfeel of 4.25.I was not a fan of the Fat Tire but having this I may revisit New Belgium more.Going to have another now.Cheers!

2.03/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Served from a 12oz bottle bought about three weeks ago and kept in a dark chest freezer converted to kegerator. Temperature around 40ºF (+-3ºF). Served to a tulip glass.

Looks good, orange/copper with a nice foamy head. No problem there. The problem starts with the aroma. It's very strong, starts nice, piney, but goes into something weird that I am not sure what it is exactly, but it's pungent and unpleasant. Taste is similar to how the smell finishes, really strong, but not hoppy strong. The hops are there but they're overwhelmed by something off, totally unpleasant. I wonder if this bottle was not good, got skunk or something. I couldn't finish it and more than half of it went down the drain. I will give it another try and re-review. If this is what it is, not impressed at all. Actually, quite opposite.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I feel this beer deserves a full review because it is quite interesting.
From bottle pours a rich hue amber, but really looks kinda of light when you consider
it is to be an imperial IPA.
The smell is very good. The hoppy on top of off fruit notes.
Taste... Now I was a little perplexed. I was gearing up for my taste buds to be punted by
hops, and was almost disappointed when they weren't.
For 8.5% this beer is dangerously drinkable like a plain ol' lager or middle road IPA.
I mean it is good don't get me wrong, but I was seeking more after the scent.
Should have known by the color.
If you're the type of beer seeker that wants a rich double dead guy like hop head deal, you
will be extremely disappointed.
If you want a mellow IPA that's boozy and you want to get drunk almost twice on 9 bucks then knock yourself out. I'm not above it either.
For 9 bucks I might get it again on occasion, but there is nothing life changing here.
Another decent offering from NB.
Also what a deal for a 6 pack.

Review from iPhone so brevity is key. I enjoyed this drink. Rated against other imperial IPA beers I would have to say it is very disappointing. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has much better flavor. But rated against other, regular IPAs, it can hold its own.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer, though great, is kind of a compromise beer for me. It's got 0.4 more % ABV than my favorite strong ale, Devil's Backbone, but its flavor is less distinct and it's significantly heavier feeling. I am a gigantic fan of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, and honestly, this beer just pales in comparison. I don't feel obliged to heave a large sigh after each sip, because the flavor is just....well, less remarkable.

That't not to say that the flavor isn't excellent. I don't have a bottle at the moment but I recall a very thick, borderline smoothie-like consistency with very hoppy flavor, vanilla overtones, and hints of chocolate. For 9 bucks a six pack at the gas station it's a great buy considering that a single beer i equivalent to two regular 4.25% ABV drinks of the same size. Discovered this one when I bought the "New Belgium Folly" 12 Pack; to be perfectly honest it's not highly distinguishable from Ranger and the other IPA's offered by New Belgium. But if you like hops and IPA's in general, you will not likely find this beer offensive. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is the only beer I've tried yet that exceeds Rampant's ABV, and I much prefer Rampant. It goes down far smoother and is less obvious in its alcohol content. While I wish the hops flavor was stronger/more distinguished, this is one of the key brews on my roster.

Good price, great taste, and **outstanding** ABV for the flavor. When I need to save a couple bucks or I want to really get fucked up off a single six pack, this is my first choice. New Belgium produces high quality brews across the board and this one is a star. My only reservation is that we've got em beat here in Texas. And Cali. Definitely recommended.

1.25/5  rDev -66.9%

Poured a bit light for an IIPA, good head and looked to be like the mouth feel I wanted.
Smelled like rotten grass...maybe a bad bottle i "thunk", but no the entire sixer!
Tasted like it smelled...hay, or rodent bedding..wet wood shavings with bread yeast...very little hop flavor...like they swept up the store room and hopped with the results, or used a hop schedule meant for a totally different type of beer altogether Terrible beer! I dumped 3/4 of every one i opened...could have gotten a rouge sixer, but don't plan giving it a second chance! I have NO idea how this can be over 80 on here....SERIOUSLY NASTY BEER! Just my opinion...

New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA is an original sort of Double/Imperial and is quite refreshing.

The smell of Rampant Imperial is quite light, with more energy springing forth in the form of the beer's medium to to slightly more than medium froth per se.

The taste of the beer is quite unique. Though it is somewhat light at first, perhaps in keeping with the beer/ale's somewhat light-to-medium body(of a light amber color), the hoppsyness is somewhat more centered around the middle of the taste, where one really gets a taste of that sort of tasty tip-of-the toungue hops presence, that fills out towards the back of the mouth per se.

Overall its not too bitter or heavy in regards to what one might be used to in regards to Double/Imperial beers/ales, and hence it is all the more perhaps refreshing and drinkable in quantity per se.

Overall, a light but tasty, refreshing ale.

4.34/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The balance is very nice between hops and malts. New Belgium is a good brand, fairly priced.

Look -- good. NIce lacing.
Smell -- good.
Taste -- very nicely balanced. It is a grown up Ranger
Feel -- Feels like the quality is in it...matches the good balance.
Overall -- I liked the single IPA Ranger, too, but for the money this is my New Belgium IPA winner.

3.78/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had a hard time locating a good brew for this evening and i realized i have never picked up this beer. I am very suspect of this brewery seeing that i feel they are very over rated. I love Imperial beers and especially ipa's. I cracked open the bottle and it had a very nice resiny smell to it and i found myself not so Leary of this beer. It has a very piney,earthy no so tropical fruit smell to it which is fine but i do prefer the fruity IPA's myself. The taste was good but not great, it reminded me of a tame Six Point Resin with its very piney, grassy bitter notes..The mouth feel was pretty good, it seemed to coat my mouth gently and it went down very smooth. Overall this was a pretty decent beer by New Belgium and i would probably drink this again if i were in a bind and could find none of my favorites or beers on my to drink list.

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

End of the tap, so the review is a little tainted.

a- yellowy orange

s- a tiny bit of hops and a tiny bit of citrus- if it was cold and fresh this could be huge

t- the citrus and fruitiness is very upfront and exciting but ultimately it tastes very sugary and concentrated. Not malty but not balanced either. Upside is that it's 8.5 and it hides it fairly well.

m- boozey bubbly, no surprises

0- I really think I would like this beer if it was ice cold and properly carbonated.

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This one surprised me. I now know what "wet" feels like. This is the wettest IPA, let alone beer, that I've ever had. Extremely nice mouthfeel, very smooth and refreshing. A great summer Imperial IPA. Way 2 go New Belgium, you finally have something I will come back for many, many times.

4.34/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Favorite go-to DIPA from Colorado. It is malty sweet and then hops come in and take over a little bit and then it finishes with a slight sweet alcohol flavor. For a year round beer that is crazy affordable and 8.5%, you cant go wrong here. Get some! 4.25/5

3.93/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Coppery body. Medium milky off-white head.

S: Holy Lemon Zest Batman! Then lots of grass.

T: Not lemon! Fresh cut grass, More grass, Pine, a little sweetness, lingering bitterness. Very fresh hops taste throughout. Dry finish.

M: Light/Medium for style. Not too sticky.

O: Very unique in that I haven't tasted such strong fresh hops flavors before. Tastes like my Centennial hops on the vine smells.

4.92/5  rDev +30.2%

L: solid yellow golden ale. Nice white head. Bubble galore from head to base. Very carb, but natural.

S: very sweet and piney. Very fruity hop. It smells like they said "oh you like this? Here is more to enjoy". It SMELLS bitter. Its very robust.

T: it feelsmlike the moisture ismevaporationg from ,y tongue, and is layering pine onmmy tongue. It coats it in its sweet cashmere texture and settles there front and middle of tongue. I doint know my malts but the sweet is very fruity. The description is peach which I guess i can see., Its still kind of hard to pin point certain points, but I can tell its not floral or citrus.

F: not water which is nice. Its not heavy or chewy. I see bubbles but not carbonated by CO2, but bubbles on tongue. Coats lovely. Lingers which is welcomed.

New Belgium is truly one of my new favorite breweries. Their Portage is one of my fave porters, this is one of my fave Imperials. I find myself eyeballing Portage telling myself I want it badly' and I will do the same with Rampant.

Rampant Imperial IPA from New Belgium Brewing