Join our email list →

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Huffaroma on 02-24-2013

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.
Reviews: 440 | Hads: 2,640
3.67/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA

Tasting notes originally from 2/15/14. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. This was served chilled in a shaker pint glass.

A) Copper colored brew with good clarity. Finger of soapy head, which settled to a patchy dusting. A little lacing.

S) Floral aroma, tropical fruit and peach syrup. A little alcohol too.

T) The first few sips were pretty bitter. Follows the nose... Definitely improves from a flavor standpoint as it closes in on room temp. I was surprised at how much booze I was picking up, given the ABV is only 8.5%.

M) Medium body with lighter carbonation. It has a slick feel, that coats the palate. Hops and alcohol linger a bit.

O) Nice beer... There are several imperials I enjoy quite a bit more, but still, I'm glad I gave this one a go.

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

I'm reviewing a 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint mug.

The first thing I noticed was a strong citrus smell upon opening mixed with the smell of hops, and I feel the smell is it's best attribute. It did not pour with very much head, just around a finger, but the head was a milky white color that turned to a slight film after a few minutes and gave light lacing throughout. The color is a light gold/orange and very clear. The taste is strong with hops and citrus just as the smell, with a hint of floral taste and bitterness. The mouthfeel was okay, slightly creamy but smooth, although carbonation was less than I expected, almost like it was slightly flat. The 8.5% ABV is not very apparent at all in the taste.

Overall I would say it is decent, not bad, but not exceptional either.

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I tried this on tap at a bar a few weeks ago and loved it. Picked it up in a sixer and my opinion is not quite the same. This ale pours a hazy golden straw color with a slightly off white head. This gives way to just a slight film and decent white lacing. The aroma is nice with lots of citrus and pine notes and an underlying malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is super smooth and drinkable. With an abv like this and this sort of drinkability, this one could get you in trouble. The flavor disappoints though. Its not bad just not as fresh and hoppy as what I had on tap a few weeks back. Before I speak my final piece on this one, I want to find it on draft or at least a very fresh bottle to try because I know this beer is better than what I'm tasting right now.

3.49/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is the first time I have had this one. I have had a lot of New Belgium's lineup over the years, which I should revisit and review at some point, alas this is the one I have at present. The color is a nice true gold, different than other DIPA's I have had as of late. It has that New Belgium smell to it, I guess its the yeast they use, but just about every one of their beers have it. Its kind of a funky sweet smell, that unlike those true Belgian Trappist and Abbey yeasts. I like New Belgium and as the person previously mentioned this is a gateway craft beer. But also one I would drink again if in a certain circumstance where it was present. I know it says peach on the bottle and someone else said it had a peachy taste, I didn't get as much as I was expecting to get. It does have a nice balance of hops and fruitiness, almost a blend of a Belgian style with an IPA, but not exactly. It is sweet and less hoppy than I would expect from a DIPA, nonetheless, it is good but not spectacular.

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: pours a translucid light burnt orange with a thick slowly receding head that leaves fine traces behind. Good consistency.

S: it's piney, resinous, floral almost like a medicinal hop bouquet.

T: taste is more medicinal than floral, too mild, the hops are not present in the palate.

M: very easy going and forgiving, light bodied although somewhat resinous and sticky. No lingering aftertaste as if it had never been there.

O: something that i would offer a craft beer virgin to get them started into real beers, won't alter much their fragile palates, but enough to make a difference.

4.14/5  rDev +9.5%

I love IPA's and this is probably by FAR the best IPA I have ever had.. Its smooth, tastes great, smells amazing.. I really love the strong hoppy smell mixed with peach.. that is a rare but GREAT mix.. This could possibly be my #1 favorite beer. If you like IPA's you have to try this... If you had this and don't like it, then either you don't like IPA's or you like lower quality IPA's because this is the best IPA to hit my lips and I've tried tons. It has quality you can taste.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Pale golden copper hue in the body large semi off white head forms thick with chunks spread sporadically throughout the sides of my glass. Aroma has grapefruit, citrus, big alcohol notes, with passion fruit tropical notes. Flavor has big alcohol notes sugary grapefruit, pineapple, and other residual tropical fruit notes. Mouthfeel is resinous with big sugars and even keeled carbonation, overall a beer I would dance with most of the time unless fresh drinkable Ranger is on hand!

1.34/5  rDev -64.6%

There is something definitely wrong with this beer. It has a very odd odor and an even worse taste. I would love to describe it for you, but I can't put a name to it. It is a sick, floral disgusting smell and even worse taste. I generally don't throw out beer, but am strongly considering it on the rest of this six pack. Not a fan of New Belgium in general, but this is the worst.

3.87/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

New Belgium's Rampant Imperial IPA, 8.5% ABV. New Belgium makes great "gateway" beers, sold in chain grocery stores and help to introduce beer drinkers to craft. Rampant features a boozy sweetness reminiscent of sautéed peaches, cooked sugar; a clean hop bitterness with herbal and grapefruit flavors. A little light on the hop aroma, and more balanced in flavor than some hophead would want. Nothing special if you're used to the very best IIPA's, but certainly not a drainpour, and worth the sale price if you can find it.

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad at all. Doesn't look overly pretty. there is a nice frothy white head but that sit atop a dull orange beer. Smells nice, a mix of citrus and vegetative hop material. Smells maybe a little rough around the edges but is pleasantly assertive without having one dominant note. Taste is much of the same if slightly less hoppy on the flavor than one might expect. Ends dry and bitter, but has a candied malt notes in the middle (could be the hops). carbonation seems a little low. this is like a really good homebrew.

Amazing Imperial! Fell in love the first time it hit my lips. Living in Fort Collins, CO for 5 years, I have come to appreciate the craftiness of my two favorite breweries....Odell and New Belgium. I would highly recommend at least trying any brews these two make!

4.11/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Happy to find a six pack of this in our local store; hadn't tried before.

Glass bottle poured into pint glass.

Gold with slight orange tint; 1/2 foam, good lacing.

Smells appealing, rich, boozy without harsh alcohol smell

Great hop flavor and surprisingly smooth for alcohol content; well done. I am not a huge fan of New Belgium's Fat Tire and so wasn't sure if the IPA would have a familiar taste note, but would not have guessed this was New Belgium.

Rich feel and holds up well. Mouth feels a little coated at the end.

Overall I was very happy and impressed with this. I'll admit I haven't tried too many offerings from New Belgium other than Fat Tire and I will have to give them another look, this was very good and enjoyable. Almost 'too rich' (hence, the 'Imperial' IPA) for just having with dinner or while watching a game; more of a destination beer than I was expecting. looking forward to trying the Ranger now.

3.27/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had Ranger IPA and figured that its bigger brother ought to be great. Boy was I in for a let down! It looks and smells alot like Ranger, so when I tasted it, I kind of didnt believe it. The word vegetable is the only thing that came to mind. Sweet flowery vegetable. My dad had one and he gave me the same look that I think I initially gave the beer. He also was at a loss for words but we agreed on "vegetable". I am a hop head and I love IIPAs. This is at the bottom of the list for me. They shoulda tried to make it more like Ranger. And is it just me, or do all the New Belgium beers have a problem with head retention?

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%

Well after 1800+ reviews I finally stumbled upon New Belgium brewery. This is my first beer by them and I may have overpaid since it was 4 dollars for the single. Justified by the ABV.

A - Very hazy looking IPA bright golden yellow with a mild orange hue. Head is excellent tower of a solid 1/2 inch that pulls back to mega sticky lacing.
S - Fresh squeezed Grapefruit hops and juicy lemon hop bitterness tickles the nose. Smells timid not like a pine tree so it must be balanced.
T+M - First thing I had to note is how thick this beer is. Just screams DIPA with a medium to heavy body. Not used to that but I taste is fairly clean the hop bitterness is there with a great twinge on the tongue in the finish. Like other masters the ABV is well masked and this is no exception no ethanol bite. Not much else to say except balanced.

Overall I am not sure if its my palate but this beer is much heavier than many DIPA's I have sampled. Not that thats a bad thing because its still fresh Best By Feb 2014.

3.29/5  rDev -13%

Pours a solid gold with a big head that sticks around for ages.

Smell is of danky piney hops and nutty malt.

Taste is kinda bland with a medium citrusy hop flavor that then gives way to a cardboard taste. Like stale malt. It's sort of off putting but I can finish this six pack...

Feel is kinda watery and almost flat like all the bubbles left in the head.

This is one of the weakest beers I've had from this decent brewery, they should get their act together for this beer and revitalize it.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my NEW BELGIUM goblet:

A dark, honey colored on the pour. builds up a head of at least 3 full fingers! nice sticky lacing all the way to the top of the goblet, and ULTRA clarity.

S - I happened to be eating peanuts as I opened this - the hops came right thru and overpowered the peanuts just as soon as I uncapped the bottle, even before I brooght it up to my nose. VERY fine hoppy scent - not overpowering, but it comes right thru

T OK here goes: nice hoppy flavor, just a bit of bitter APV after "feel"
leave my mouth feeling DRY

M more than a bit FLAT I have to say - (wonder if I got a bad bottle?)

D not bad but not great, some how it doesnt all come together IMHO.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Nice golden appearance . Medium carbonation level.
S- Piney, resiny, and floral. I'd pick either pear or ripe red apple.
T- Besides slightly sweet and bready, the bitterness is short lived and balances with some sweetness.
M- Medium to Medium light. Slightly cloying; viscous.
O- Nice flavor and aroma. Quality beer.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into new belgium globe glass. About a finger of head. Good lace. Color is a golden orange.

Flavor profile: Lots of fresh, juicy hops. Floral and earthy. Piney. Hop resiny feel. Lots of tropical fruits. Pineapple sticks out the most. Some grapefruit and mango mixed in. Bready malts finish it off.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and sticky. Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Ends surprisingly clean.

Overall, an enjoyable dipa. Better than I expected. Very flavorful and easy to drink.

3.69/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear pale amber with a large off white head. The head stays for about 5 minutes and leaves a good amount of fine bubble lacing.
Smell is malty and a bit of yeast.
Taste is big piney hop flavors with a bit less malt support than I am used to for this style. Which makes it drink like an uber IPA.
Definately Ranger's big brother. If you like Ranger you should love this.
Mouthfeel was fine and good carbonation. Dry bitter finish.
Overall a good Impy IPA. And the price was right. About $9 for a six pack.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a color and opaqueness similar to apple juice, with a small, uneven foamy head.

Smell is not quite as aggressive as I expected from this style, but dominated by pine and floral scents.

Taste is more assertive, piney and floral and citrus. Not much in the way of malt or alcohol flavors. A big and hoppy beer, as you would expect for the style. The bitterness is not overwhelming though. Nice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with enough carbonation to keep the taste from clinging to the mouth.

Overall a really well done DIPA.

4.01/5  rDev +6.1%

02Mar14 on label

Clear amber color with a solid two fingers of head that slowly settled to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left down the glass. Looks very attractive.

Massive hop aroma of citrus, pine, and floral hops. No sign of malt or alcohol.

I get a lot of hop flavor but surprisingly the bitterness is not blistering. Must of been a lot of late hop additions and dry hopping. I taste citrus and floral with a dry malt profile. Only one old school hop was used, Centennial, with one of my favorites, Mosaic also used. Not familiar with Calypso and not sure what qualities that hop posses. Some alcohol warming but with little flavor. Besides some of the hop choices, an old school type of DIPA.

Feels a little undercarbonated if I am nitpicking.

I really like this beer. A lot of hop flavor without overwhelming bitterness. Dry and easy to drink.

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

If you have ever tried Dogfishhead's 90 minute I.P.A. then you know exactly what this beer is all about. Floral smells, hoppy character, dry finish, with a high a.b.v. This beer has a better price, so if I was in the mood for those characteristics, I would pick this one up for sure.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rampant Imperial IPA
New Belgium Brewing, Colorado
---from bottle to pint glass---

Appearance
Bright-Clear golden color, Two fingers of white head, great lacing.

Smell
Whoa! Bright citrus, bit of pine, loads of grapefruit, and a little funky/earthy aroma. I dig!

Taste
Powerful piney and grassy flavors at first, but they give way to juicy citrus. Sweet malt sticks around.

Mouth-feel
Medium body, good balance of bitter to sweet, good carbonation.

Overall
Overwhelming resinous flavor at first sip, but overall very good. Smells great, looks like a miller lite with great lacing. I’d drink this again.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a snifter
Best before: 02Mar14

A: Pours a golden yellow with just a sliver of slightly off white colored head. Great clarity. Head dissipates down quickly and leaves only a few small patches of lacing.

S: Real nice nose. Some dank resinous notes, citrus rind, a bit of booze, some orange/tangerine flesh, balancing sweet malts. Kind of smells like a several month old Hopslam (not a fresh Hopslam, but a positive statement nonetheless). Very nice.

T: Citrus rind and piney hop bitterness, some spicy and floral hop notes as well. Malt backbone is faint, this is really a hop bomb.

M/D: Full bodied, moderate carbonation, very smooth for the style, good drinkability. Great mouthfeel here.

O: Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. A very good DIPA, from top to bottom. I will certainly purchase and enjoy this one again in the future.

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Appearance 3.5: Strange look to this beer: kind of a muddy golden color. Completely translucent. Very nice head: 1/2" dropped slowly to 1/4" and finally to 1/8.

Smell 4.0: Very nice bouquet. Jarring chlorophyll hit of fresh hops backed up by a huge kick of sweet-smelling barley malt let you know you are in for a BIG beer. Unless you are some poor shmoe just picking this one up at your local grocery store, unaware of the 8.5% ABV hop assault that will wreck your brain.

Taste 4.0: Front is slightly sweet, but this jumps right into the middle which is dominated by an alkaline kick in the palate from that grassy hop that one smells in the bouquet. I, for one, like it. There are, however, other elements in the middle like a subdued and pleasing barley maltiness and another hint of a slightly nutty, almost sherry taste. Finish is where a very pleasing and warming hit of sweetness and subtle hoppiness mingle with a spicy grain taste that reminds me very much of Maris Otter. Aftertaste is of medium length and starts out with a straw-like taste which fades into a nice bitterness.

Mouthfeel 4.0: Creamy with balanced carbonation, this certainly enhanced my enjoyment of the beer.

Overall 4.0: This is the best beer that I have tried by New Belgium. It is big, bold and well-balanced. Huge at 8.5%, this beer is actually dangerous to the beer drinking public at large. Regardless, this beer shows no hint on the palate of its over the top alcohol content and is a remarkably pleasing session beer. Try it if you find it, just don't try to drive a station wagon full of orphans down the mountain after drinking a few.

Rampant Imperial IPA from New Belgium Brewing