Rampant Imperial IPA - New Belgium Brewing

Rampant Imperial IPARampant Imperial IPA

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.

(Beer added by: Huffaroma on 02-24-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rampant Imperial IPA Alström Bros

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 6/1/14. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours golden with great clarity; fluffy eggshell white head that eventually fades and leaves great lacing and retention. The aromas have a nice amount of citrus and tropical notes. Lots of peach and mango. Some grass. Some grapefruit. Some caramel malts. The flavors are pretty clean and refreshing. I'm picking up some lime zest and a bit of lemon. More grapefruit. More sweet tropical fruit notes. Subtle amounts of fresh pine needles. Slightly earthy. There's a balanced malt backbone, but the hops seem to shine. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of full-bodied with active carbonation. It's a pretty smooth and easy drinking brew. The alcohol goes completely unnoticed and it's dangerously drinkable.

$8.99/6pk is a pretty good deal for this. It's a pretty solid DIPA. It's very clean and fun to drink. This is simply an amped up version of Ranger IPA, so if you enjoy Ranger you should enjoy Rampant.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA

Tasting notes originally from 2/15/14. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. This was served chilled in a shaker pint glass.

A) Copper colored brew with good clarity. Finger of soapy head, which settled to a patchy dusting. A little lacing.

S) Floral aroma, tropical fruit and peach syrup. A little alcohol too.

T) The first few sips were pretty bitter. Follows the nose... Definitely improves from a flavor standpoint as it closes in on room temp. I was surprised at how much booze I was picking up, given the ABV is only 8.5%.

M) Medium body with lighter carbonation. It has a slick feel, that coats the palate. Hops and alcohol linger a bit.

O) Nice beer... There are several imperials I enjoy quite a bit more, but still, I'm glad I gave this one a go.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

I'm reviewing a 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint mug.

The first thing I noticed was a strong citrus smell upon opening mixed with the smell of hops, and I feel the smell is it's best attribute. It did not pour with very much head, just around a finger, but the head was a milky white color that turned to a slight film after a few minutes and gave light lacing throughout. The color is a light gold/orange and very clear. The taste is strong with hops and citrus just as the smell, with a hint of floral taste and bitterness. The mouthfeel was okay, slightly creamy but smooth, although carbonation was less than I expected, almost like it was slightly flat. The 8.5% ABV is not very apparent at all in the taste.

Overall I would say it is decent, not bad, but not exceptional either.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I tried this on tap at a bar a few weeks ago and loved it. Picked it up in a sixer and my opinion is not quite the same. This ale pours a hazy golden straw color with a slightly off white head. This gives way to just a slight film and decent white lacing. The aroma is nice with lots of citrus and pine notes and an underlying malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is super smooth and drinkable. With an abv like this and this sort of drinkability, this one could get you in trouble. The flavor disappoints though. Its not bad just not as fresh and hoppy as what I had on tap a few weeks back. Before I speak my final piece on this one, I want to find it on draft or at least a very fresh bottle to try because I know this beer is better than what I'm tasting right now.

3.46/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is the first time I have had this one. I have had a lot of New Belgium's lineup over the years, which I should revisit and review at some point, alas this is the one I have at present. The color is a nice true gold, different than other DIPA's I have had as of late. It has that New Belgium smell to it, I guess its the yeast they use, but just about every one of their beers have it. Its kind of a funky sweet smell, that unlike those true Belgian Trappist and Abbey yeasts. I like New Belgium and as the person previously mentioned this is a gateway craft beer. But also one I would drink again if in a certain circumstance where it was present. I know it says peach on the bottle and someone else said it had a peachy taste, I didn't get as much as I was expecting to get. It does have a nice balance of hops and fruitiness, almost a blend of a Belgian style with an IPA, but not exactly. It is sweet and less hoppy than I would expect from a DIPA, nonetheless, it is good but not spectacular.

2.98/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: pours a translucid light burnt orange with a thick slowly receding head that leaves fine traces behind. Good consistency.

S: it's piney, resinous, floral almost like a medicinal hop bouquet.

T: taste is more medicinal than floral, too mild, the hops are not present in the palate.

M: very easy going and forgiving, light bodied although somewhat resinous and sticky. No lingering aftertaste as if it had never been there.

O: something that i would offer a craft beer virgin to get them started into real beers, won't alter much their fragile palates, but enough to make a difference.

Rampant Imperial IPA from New Belgium Brewing