Hop Kitchen - Hoppy Bock Lager - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 02-26-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Kitchen - Hoppy Bock Lager Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Color- clear bright gold. Full head.

Aroma- hoppy with hint of roasted almond. A stupid combination. S

Taste- Starts mildly hoppy but fights its lager notes badly and ends as if the worst elements of a lager and IPA were combined. One of the least appealing brews ever offered by New Belgium.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 8/3/2013. (423 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -30.5%

22 oz bottle, dated 6/16/13. Pours clear straw gold with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is subdued - sweet biscuity malts, spicy rye and some slightly metallic, grassy noble hops with some stinky musty yeast.

The flavor is sweet malts and a little rye with a decent sized grassy peppery hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little thin.

Overall, a decent hoppy lager. (427 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -25.5%

A-golden with a nice white head. Some bubbles.

S-odd scent of citrusy hops, wit spices, honey, corn, and some grains. Also has an odd scent of cherry jelly. Doesn't really all mesh well

T-comes in a lot how it smells, just as odd. There's really a strong flavor of cherry jelly...really weird. Not a big fan of this.

M-low creamy carbonation with a watery finish

O-I don't know what New Belgium's aim here was. I love their beers, but this was such a disappoint, even though I wasn't expecting much to begin with. It's just oddly fruity and doesn't taste like a hoppy lager at all. (586 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance: Yellow, small tight bubbles, a little hazy.

Smell: I got subtle Peach in the smell.

Taste: First reaction to the taste was of sweetness, then some hop character kicked in mid-taste.

Mouthfeel: Light body

Drinkability: I was really looking forward to this. Bocks are a style of beer that can be so delicious. But this one missed the mark for me. Not sure how fresh this was. Overall, it was… muted. Tough to put into words. And I wasn’t digging the hazy pour. Hmmm. (485 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Type: 22-oz. bomber
Glass: Firestone pint glass
From: Bine & Vine Bottleshop in Normal Heights (San Diego, Calif.)
Price: $5.49
Purchased: March 28, 2013
Consumed: April 3, 2013
Misc.: Best by July 7, 2013

Poured a pale clear color with 2-to-3 fingers of frothy white head that lasted for some time. Healthy amount of layered foamy lacing on the sides all the way down. Even retention all the way across and all the way down.

Smelled a mix of hops, spices and malt. Hops seemed to be a mix of grass and resin. Got Belgian spices and some faint pepper. Malts were caramel, toffee, toast and cereal.

Tasted similar to the nose, but not quite as hoppy. Still the Belgian and pepper spices. Earthy, yet watery, grassy hops. Malts not as pronounced as the smell. Bread, corn and cereal. Overall I wasn’t really digging it.

Light body. Oily texture. Lively (above average) carbonation. Abrupt, watery finish.

I was hoping for something better, but this beer disappointed. It just got worse as it went down. (1,007 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

bought the 22 oz bomber at Market street today:
poured into my goblet:

A - bright yellow - extra clear! nice show on the 2+ finger head. settles to super sticky, all time great lacing

S - very understated on the hops, almost "dry" to the nose - honestly a disappointment here
a bit of a cardboard note

T: yes a bit more hops here but far from impressive - I would have hoped for much more from new Belgium (the hops does make a bit of a return on the aftertaste

M - very nice to the mouth - good body and very gentle ABV bite

D - ultra drinkable due to the watery flavor. guzzling time (590 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle poured into tulip shaped glass

Appearance: pale golden light amber with a thin solid head. Leaves a good circular lacing around the glass.

Smell: rye, hops, wheat

Taste: sweet malty, not bitter but I can get a sense of hops in the beverage. I can also get a sense of some sweet fruits. Not bad for a lager.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: This is a great lager. This is probably my favorite lager I've had since I can get a since of hops, but this is not my style of beer. I just got it because it was pretty cheap, well worth the money. (578 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Clear sunny yellow beer with a good sized white colored head. Looks like Coors Extra Gold in the glass.

Smells of fresh biscuit and and north western hops. Mostly pine and wood from the hop.

Starts out dry with a rose flower flavor. Mild bitterness with some strong tea and that taste of roses continues. Not much of a bock flavor here, this is a lager made with AIPA hops.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall, Want to know what lager tastes like if you hop it like an IPA? Buy one of these and taste the results. (506 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Was not expecting a Maibock style with this one. I think it may have been a little old. The date showed 07 JUL 2013. ABV was well masked by the higher hop flavor however the brew lacks a hoppy front. It finishes with a nice piney hop flavor and goes down clean. Not the worst Maibock I have had but not the best either. May be better classified as a Double APL. (361 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

If Jim Morrison had gone into brewing... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a few fingers of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises miscellaneous greenery, sweet honey, caramel, and a bit of light spearmint. There's an incredible balance in place here. The taste leans further on the side of the greens, which now include some mild grass and a tiny hint of pine needle, while the sweeter side falls deep into the relative shadows along with its new friend, light rye bread. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a generally dry finish. Overall, though an interesting concept, the execution of a hoppy maibock just kinda misses the mark for me. Were it slightly more balanced on the tongue, it might have succeeded, but that was sadly not the case. (827 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

I was excited to try this one given it supposed to be a more hopped up German lager.

Pours(4) a clear straw orange, a one finger off white head that leaves some decent lacing.

Smells (4)of wheat, biscuits, a touch of either pairs or citrus with some hedgerow mixed in (probably the hops mix). Overall smell is inviting!

Taste (3)hits me first with.. Wait, what? I had to try to figure out what I didn't like about it. There was something to it giving off an unpleasant flavor. It wasn't un drinkable, or bad, just not my cup of tea at the time.

Mouthfeel(3) wasn't bad or great. It fit the beer which I felt was a little average.

Overall I'd have to say this beer is pretty average. Nice to see something different, but it doesn't quite work in my opinion. (763 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pale golden hued with fantastic clarity. A fingernail of white foam perches on the top of this beer. Aroma is a bit faint, but I get some spicey aromatic hops and a bit of caramel malt. The flavor is pretty hop forward and are a bit spicey,earthy, and bitter. The mouthfeel is pretty brisk and refreshing, but the hop flavor and the malts seem a bit off balance. I guess I should have known "hoppy" and "bock" don't tend to be mentioned together. (446 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -9.1%

I don't really have a palate for lagers but this was gifted to me, I'll try my best here.

22oz poured in to a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Straw yellow/light orange. Pillowy white head that grew up to two and a half fingers, settled nicely to a half finger without ever disappearing. Little bit of lacing. Looks nice.

Smell: Light hops, bready, small amount of sweet malt. Smell reminds me of a bock I used to have before I was in to craft beer (Gordon Biersch). Smells clean, like a toned down pale ale. Nice citrus in there.

Taste: At first I was disappointed because I'm used to hop bombs. Taking the style in to account, it's pretty hoppy. Bready, leaves a little bit of lingering hop bitterness that I like. Small amount of sweetness that's a bit refreshing. Seems good for a hot day. I'd love to call this a session beer, but at 6.9% it's tough to call it that.

Mouthfeel: Smooth. I expected biting carbonation but it's fairly slick. Leaves that clean dryness at the back of the mouth. It goes down easy. No alcohol present whatsoever.

Overall: Like I said, I'd love to call this a session beer save its high ABV. It was definitely a nice change, but I don't think I'd buy it again. Going to start a search for a nice pils soon to change it up. (1,254 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz. bottle, with bottle reading best by June 16, 2013. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Semi-aggressive pour yields three fingers of fluffy soapy bone white head ontop of a clear, golden yellow lager body. Some fat fluffy rings of lacing as the beer recedes.

S - Some lemon citrus hops. Some weird, unidentifiable floral / spice characteristics, which I suppose could possibly be the rye. Some faint cracked peppercorns are noticeable.

T - Taste is strange. Not at all what I was expecting here. Strange spices & floral notes along with some sweet honey flavor & a bitter, spicy hop finish. Has a weird flowery taste almost akin to lavender or coriander. Juicy fruity hops like lime, lemon, and pineapple pervade the palate.

M - Feel is bitter, hoppy, and ends dry.

Overall, a strange beer to be sure. Not at all a bad beer, just very different than what I had been expecting. A warming beer with a pleasant 6.90% abv, and an easy sipping beer from New Belgium, although it is definitely not a beer I will be trying again anytime soon.

New Belgium Hop Kitchen Hoppy Bock Lager ---3.5/5 (1,108 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The label says "brewed with rye". Poured from a bomber into a Shaker pint. A moderate pour produces about one inch of billowy head that sticks to the glass pretty well. The beer is quite pale.

Definitely some floral hops in the aroma along with something akin to baked goods- maybe a snickerdoodle cookie. The flavor is quite hoppy but with maybe just enough sweet malt to balance. The hops impart piney, citrus, flower and grassy flavors.

I'm not sure about turning a bock into a hop bomb, and this beer reminds me more of a pale ale, except that it's really extremely pale. Still, it's pretty good, and could make a session beer if you have the tolerance for it. (667 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

BBD of 16 Jun 2013

Pours straw colored with 2 fingers of beige head.Above average head retention & good lacing

S: Grassyness & lemons, leafy hops

T: Grassy & leafy hops, slight crackery notes up front, faint peppery notes, some pear notes. Leafy & spicy hops as this warms, & a little bit of pears. Finishes spicy, dry with leafy hops

MF: Medium bodied, creamy carbonation, okay balance

An alright Maibock, not one I would buy again. Drinks okay, but just run of the mill for the style, the hop mix did not impress me at all (529 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Honestly, not much special to look at, like most lagers. Clear, straw-colored sameness. With a quickly dissipating head. However, there is lacing... Lacing? On a lager?

Smell: Kind of an astringent smell not unlike a lot of lesser adjunct beers.

Taste: Thankfully, a lot more full than the smell. It has a hop bite I've never gotten from any "lager" before. It's like Budweiser, but without rice, smoother, and with hops included.

Mouthfeel: Very good, medium-light viscosity.

Overall: This is a step above most lagers I've tried. I've been put off of the genre by so many clones of clones of mediocre brews, yet I do realize that this style isn't exactly cut and dry "lager." Maybe all is not lost with regards to this style. (Yes, I'm biased.) (765 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Strange mix of styles, but New Belgium has pulled off stranger combinations. Cheers!

Brewed less than a month before the date of this tasting (March 18, 2013) with a best by date three months from now (July 28, 2013).

A: A perfectly transparent pale gold with an inch of foamy white head. Looks quite fizzy.

S: It’s all about the fruity, aromatic hops, with scents of cherry, orange, and red grape in front. Smells like Juicy Fruit gum. And just like the last Hop Kitchen beer I had, there’s a leafy tea aroma akin to what you’d get from the raw hops at the homebrew shop; I’m not sure I like it, but it’s interesting. No dark, fruity bock notes at all, though I am getting some clean, bready lager hints in the background; typical of a maibock, unlike other dark German lagers.

T: There’s those sweet malt flavors mixed with jammy fruit tastes that formed the strange palate of New Belgium’s new imperial IPA, Rampant – honey and jam on biscuit, a buttery bready taste overloaded with a glaze of dark sugars. Hmmm. The hops lie on top of the bed of sweet malt like oil on water, a spicy, herbal taste of ginger, pepper, pine, and a touch of onion; some hints of guava and pineapple are noticeable, but in very small amounts. The aftertaste showcases the sweetness – lingering notes of apricot jam – but not without a blast of grassy hop dryness.

M: Smooth; a medium-to-thick body with a touch of foamy carbonation. There’s a full feeling from every sip, making the whole thing come off as a bit too viscous.

O: Looks like New Belgium is forming a pattern with their hop-forward beers. I don’t know what it is, probably the sweetness of the palate combined with the oiliness of the hops, but it turns me off. And I know these guys can produce incredible beer – that’s the frustrating part! There’s something off here that’s keeping this to a one-bottle excursion and I’d like to know what it is. Other reviewers are saying things like “strong flavor of cherry jelly” and “there’s something to it giving off an unpleasant flavor;” what is going on here? (2,102 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served in tulip. Poured a clean, clear golden yellow color with about 3/4 inch of white head that had good retention and lots of very sticky lacing.

The aroma was mostly sweet malts, but did have a noticeable floral hop tone. The flavors followed along about as I expected from the scent, lots of grainy malt, higher than typical hops, and a surprisingly dry finish.

The body was nicely light, smooth, and clean. Drinkability was decent, I wouldn't have 2 in a row, but I'll probably have it again. Overall, a nice brew, not special, but worth a shot if you see it. (567 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bomber into a New Belgium tulip glass in high elevation, Libby, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Two-finger white, fluffy head. Transparent golden body. The retention on the head is rather nice and the body looks typical of the style for a Maibock. Sticky ribbons of lacing. Slightly above average, methinks.

S- Floral hops are what greets the nose. Pineapple, tropical fruits, some brewing spices. Hoppy but not overpowering. Rather a pleasant aroma, actually. Not clubbing me with hops, but not leaving much room for the golden malts to play.

T- Slightly sour hops with a golden malt backbone. Tart, floral and fruity. Interesting character, but not balanced as well as it could be. Enjoyable but far from great.

M- Thick, full-bodied. Dry, semi-grainy finish. Interesting.

O- Above average beer and an interesting little experiment for New Belgium. Not the best example I've had of the style, but not a bad overall beer. (958 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6%

A: Very pale golden straw colored body, transparently displaying loads of visible carbonation. The head is rife with foam, white, and leaves lots of lacing.

S: There is a very light flowery scent, with a bit of pungency coming through. It's not too fresh smelling, but it's alright.

T: Right off the bat I get lots of hop presence. There's some spruce mixed with bitter citrus peel, and then it fades away to background bitterness. I don't pick up any malt character.

M: Tingly sensation as soon as you start drinking. Some of this is a sharpness from the hops, the rest of it is carbonation. It feels a bit empty.

O: Even for this style, the beer is very hop forward, and hop lovers will enjoy it. There isn't a lot of complexity to the beer overall. Even though the hops are very tasty, they feel a little flat and don't contribute much to the aroma. I really would have liked to taste some more malt flavor in the beer as well. It's pretty good but it seems to be standard fare in the hop world, without any of the bock heritage to back up the flavor. (1,058 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle (best before 16Jun13) into a pint glass. Pours much paler than expected. Smell is uninspiring. The taste is good, a very nice balance, but definitely hop forward. I agree with others that this reminds me of a pilsner, Lagunitas Pils comes to mind.

Overall a good "hoppy" lager. Just enough to keep it interesting. One of the better NB offerings I have had. (378 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This first installment of the Hop Kitchen series pours a clear, brass color. A fluffy, off-white head caps the brew, and it is well-retained while providing a decent amount of lace. Biscuity malt aromas, as well as a touch of grassiness, join in a chorus of spicy and piney hop aromas. The hops dominate the palate on this one. Cracker and biscuit malt flavors quickly fade into spicy and floral hop flavors with a touch of citrus in the finish. This Maibock is lighter in both body and carbonation. (499 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bomber into a chalice.

A: Clear, medium golden color with over one finger of white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Slightly toasty with a rustic bent. Delicate lime and grapefruit citrus elevate the pleasant but understated profile.

T: Begins slightly off-dry, with soft bready malt and floral hops aromatics of intermediate intensity. Acidity is mild into the middle where the early qualities are extended. Mild bitterness develops by the finish where a fine thread of sulfur can be detected at times.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, balanced on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This IPA-like lager shapes up to be a worthy vessel for hops delivery, although patience was required while the palate acclimated to it. Upon first taste the transitions from start to finish were jarring, as hops flavors faded to reveal other components. That experience did not last, however, and the profile began to smooth out considerably until the variance of flavors from start to finish was relatively small. (1,039 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a pilsner.

A: Golden hue. Pervasive rising effervescence. Pours a 3 finger, foamy, white head. Craters slowly, and unevenly. Never fully settles, but leaves a fluffy peak on the surface. Effervescence rises continually, and throughout. Dry, sticky, beer ring lacing; and lots of it.

S: Light pine, freshly cut grass, clove, and a bit of lemon citrus. Does come across a bit soapy though.

T: Pine, bitter citrus pith, and a bit of savory spice.

M: Light and crisp character. Floral. Bitter finish is accentuated with a light sweetness.

D: Sip and enjoy.

Atmosphere is really nice. Giant head, lots of carbonation, and thick pervasive lacing. Nose is piney with fresh flora, citrus and spice. Hop character is light and crisp, balanced with some citrus and spice. Overall, this is good quaff. (829 characters)

Hop Kitchen - Hoppy Bock Lager from New Belgium Brewing