Hop Kitchen - Hoppy Bock Lager - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 02-26-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Kitchen - Hoppy Bock Lager Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My beer got a little messed up. It was frozen and thawed fast under warm water. This might have something to do with the low clarity - I'm going to give it a pass on that count. It's golden with a white head. Looks like beer, and beer looks good.

I get a bit of grapefruit in the aroma, but where I really get grapefruit is when the beer is in the mouth. None of the hops used, listed on the NB website, are particularly known for grapefruit aroma,to my knowledge, but I get it in flavor, and the sweetness of the bock malts make it seem like grapefruit juice cocktail. I hate the way lagers don't get good reviews on BA - this is a REALLY interesting lager. I like the taste a lot. Sweetness on the front of the mouth, dry in the finish, making me want another sip

The beer is soft and slightly oily in the mouth - pretty interesting. on that count, too.

Overall, I'd say the malt profile comes off like a maibock and the hop profile comes across like an American pale ale. Whatever you want to call it, I am happy to drink it.

PS: The chill haze cleared up fine.

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

bought the 22 oz bomber at Market street today:
poured into my goblet:

A - bright yellow - extra clear! nice show on the 2+ finger head. settles to super sticky, all time great lacing

S - very understated on the hops, almost "dry" to the nose - honestly a disappointment here
a bit of a cardboard note

T: yes a bit more hops here but far from impressive - I would have hoped for much more from new Belgium (the hops does make a bit of a return on the aftertaste

M - very nice to the mouth - good body and very gentle ABV bite

D - ultra drinkable due to the watery flavor. guzzling time

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle
A - golden with a frothy off-white head, excellent head retention, crazy-thick lacing down the glass
S - spicy, yeast, biscuit, fruit, grassy hop
T - spicy again, Hallatau hop, grass, biscuit, fruit, faint honey, nice clean finish with some nutty yeast; sweet but the hops help to balance it out more than the usual bock, which I like.
M - creamy, smooth, pleasant carbonation
O - I really liked this one, but the Hallertau hops are at threshold. Any more, and the beer goes downhill from there. I thought this was well crafted, and for $2.99 I might get it again.

3.11/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle poured into tulip shaped glass

Appearance: pale golden light amber with a thin solid head. Leaves a good circular lacing around the glass.

Smell: rye, hops, wheat

Taste: sweet malty, not bitter but I can get a sense of hops in the beverage. I can also get a sense of some sweet fruits. Not bad for a lager.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: This is a great lager. This is probably my favorite lager I've had since I can get a since of hops, but this is not my style of beer. I just got it because it was pretty cheap, well worth the money.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The good folks at New Belgium have a winner with Hoppy Bock lager. It cannot be dissected without reducing this overall wonderful, limited production beer. It pours a fine 1 inch head in a tulip glass, stays with it for a while, looks like a lager, nice cool summer lightness. When I saw bock I assumed a bit darker, but no, this is a near blond, but with a fine taste, good mouth feel and a really smooth finish. I'm not sure how Total Wine here in Vegas offered this pint+ for $1.50 but I guarantee it is an excellent value for a fine beer. Very good stand alone beer, and excellent for the value. We cannot always buy beer for the price, generally not a winner strategy, but New Belgium has offered a premium gift with Hoppy Bock lager.

Hop Kitchen - Hoppy Bock Lager from New Belgium Brewing