2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rolle Bolle - New Belgium Brewing

Rolle BolleRolle Bolle

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: znichols on 04-03-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolle Bolle Alström Bros
Ratings: 641 | Reviews: 117 | Show All Ratings:
hardy008

1.94/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours a place clear yellow with a one finger white head with decent retention and lacing. The aroma has lemon, grains, and biscuit malt. Not very appealing.

Tastes somewhat bitter and herbal. There is yeast, lemon, grassy hops, and biscuit malt. Very bland and unappealing. I am glad I only have one of these.

Light bodied with plenty of carbonation. In my opinion this is a poor effort at making a beer. I would not buy this again, and I wouldn't accept a free one either. This is listed as a Belgian Pale Ale, but doesn't taste like one at all.

06-08-2013 16:00:53 | More by hardy008
ocelot2500

Arizona

2.28/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear straw yellow color with a rocky white head that leaves chunks of lacing.

Smells of faint lemon notes along with some grain.

Tastes of some faint lemon notes with a little malt sweetness. Citrus hop notes come through first. This leads to a little grainy sweetness. Not much going on here, comes off as a more aggressive PBR. Finishes watery.

Mouthfeel is medium-light with a crisp amount of carbonation.

Overall, I am not sure what they were going for here. It comes off as an adjunct lager to me, and not anywhere near a Belgian pale.

06-02-2013 02:40:37 | More by ocelot2500
Halcyondays

2.43/5  rDev -28.3%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear brilliant gold with a medium white head, fair retention, some spotty lace.

S: Nice nose of tropical fruits, some banana, hint of grapefruit.

T: Not a fan. The malt is OK, but gives way to a grungy earthy hop flavour which I've found in NB beers before. I don't know what they're doing over there sometimes.

M: Crisp, relatively clean, very light-bodied.

O: Not worth a pickup. The smell is nice, but that is all it has going for it. This was a chore to get down in the end.

05-04-2013 21:58:11 | More by Halcyondays
jbjohnso

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Straw yellow like my favorite American Adjucnt Lager: Coors Banquet.
S: Faint grapefruit, something reminiscent of citrus.
T: Chinook light but longing for something more. Almost IPA, but not quite.
M: Lager-ish when it comes to the clean, crisp mouth feel.
O: A gift to others, but not a buy for myself.

For me, as a homebrewer, it reminds me of a weak IPA made with Chinook hops that was aged for a couple months; the hop's bitter wore off a little. There's so much potential here, but it's not realized. Would it go well with bratwurst with stone-ground mustard? Yes. Would I buy another six-pack of this. Unfortunately, no. This is one of New Belgium's less-perfected efforts. Their 1554, Ranger, Fat Tire, Rampant IPA, I absolutely adore, but this is an introductory beer to non-beer drinkers or those of less-than-lovely beer appreciators. It's a good passage from Budweiser to real beer.

06-12-2013 21:54:51 | More by jbjohnso
BeerDocT

Georgia

2.73/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Served in an Imperial pint glass.

-Appearance 2.5: Yet another beer that is off the scale of paleness. This beer is just a couple of steps removed from water. I guess they were shooting for "golden," but this is ridiculous. Completely translucent with a decent head that stuck around as thick swirls on the top.

-Smell 3.25: Bouquet is promising. I detect hops and some citrusy, fruity overtones. Subdued grains seeping through.

-Taste 2.5: Front is an alkaline flatness; some slight remnant of hops present in there. Middle is dry and almost flavorless. Finish is a medium wave of barley tastes and some strange fruitiness mixed with a very subdued hoppiness. Aftertaste is where one gets hit with a cloying, altogether unpleasant aftertaste of hops married with some fruit rind flavor that is reminiscent of how cat pee smells. Things were going pretty good until this point.

-Mouthfeel 2.75: Strange mouthfeel that is smooth, but still dry. Also, the sweetness of this beer fades away quickly and in such a way that it leaves the mouth dry.

-Overall 2.75: What is going on with this brew? Who suggested, "Hey, let's brew a beer and put soursop in it! Yeah, that fruit from South America that sounds like a British insult! That one!" And then...they added monkfruit, too. Well, this beer isn't that bad, it's just that I cannot get past the cat pee thing. Sorry.

05-05-2013 03:42:56 | More by BeerDocT
Zorro

2.74/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Very clear and pale yellow colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smell is bitter with a little spice. Distinct aroma of grapefruit rind. Slightly yeasty with a very mile malt aroma.

Starts out dry with a bit of bicarbonate taste. Mild bitterness. Dry grapefruit flavor. Slight Alka-Seltzer flavor. Not much to it.

Mouthfeel is decent.

Overall not a favorite. I sacrificed my taste buds so you don't have too; buy Affligem Blond instead.

04-18-2013 00:48:07 | More by Zorro
watermelonman

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This poured to a pale straw color with tons of foam. It disappeared strangely fast, but still managed to leave a ton of nice lace behind.

Citrus and phenols come strong in the smell, with a hint of licorice. The taste and mouthfeel come out flimsy, though, with a stack of citrus and not much body or base flavor to hold it up. Mouthfeel is thin, not terrible but I like more body for support. An American take on a Belgian interpretation of an American style, I think they tried too hard to push hops and yeast in a beer that was simply too light to take it.

05-23-2013 02:08:32 | More by watermelonman
rangerred

Tennessee

2.84/5  rDev -16.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a half finger white head. Not very good head retention or lacing for that matter.

Aroma has some BPA yeasty qualities with a fairly hefty dose of citrus. Also some earthyness that is so typical of New Belgium

Flavor is on the light side with some musty earthyness along with tropical citrus. Some lemon and yeast but then it all drops off very quickly leaving a seltzer-like mouthfeel. Very watery and just a light bitterness.

Overall, a pretty unimpressive and weak beer. Everything just comes up short from aroma, to flavor, to mouthfeel. Not a great effort from New Belgium.

06-13-2013 23:50:48 | More by rangerred
Sludgeman

District of Columbia

2.89/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle labeled with a best before 9/1/13. Poured into a pint glass.

The aroma might keep some people from drinking this beer. But try don't let that keep you from tasting, because the beer is certainly a slightly above average tasting beer for me. A poor american interpretation of a belgian pale ale.

A - Pours a clear very pale straw color with a 3-finger dense/rocky white-white frothy head. Decent lacing.

S - Slight spicy/peppery aroma, some mild biscuty/pale malt, an odd aroma that I cannot pinpoint (maybe the soursop or the monk fruit that is used in the brew).

T - Slight sourness, very mild fruit with a dry finish.

MF - Light body with a medium carbonation.

05-30-2013 02:42:49 | More by Sludgeman
homebrew311

2.89/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance is very pale and straw colored with cascading bubbles, a slight haze, and minimal head. Nose is uninspiring with a mild corn notes among a touch of wheat and cereal malt character. Taste is fruity with a vague reminiscence of fruity pebbles cereal. This definitely leans towards being sweet considering how light it is, the flavors are not working for me, even for what it is... An easy drinking summer beer. Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. Overall, not a great addition to the nb lineup, really don't see this one as sticking around as nbs summer seasonal.

06-05-2013 00:40:10 | More by homebrew311
kojevergas

2.91/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Summer seasonal. "Brewed with soursop and monkfruit." 5.5% ABV confirmed. Best before August 18, 2013. 13 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label and standard branded red pressure cap acquired as part of a sixer at my local Von's grocery store and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip. Expectations are average; I casually sipped one last night and didn't think much of it.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger white colour head, quite thin, with no cream at all, and of decent (~2 minute) retention. Body colour is a pale clear yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Translucent. Bright for an alleged Belgian Pale. Lacing is uneven but decent. There are no overt flaws, but it's far from unique or special. Meh.

Sm: Nice perfumey floral hops, very light lemon zest, and pleasant pale malts. A fruity note vaguely similar to white grapeskin; I assume that's the monkfruit. Lychee-esque. Some straw-redolent grainy character. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. A generally pleasant aroma, but it doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. I'm excited to try the beer.

T/Mf: Lychee/white grapeskin like fruit. Pale malts. Generic floral hop character. Not as grainy as I'd like. The pale malting is nicely full-bodied for the style. Crisp, smooth, wet, and lightly refreshing. It's a bit too thick for a truly light refreshing summer beer, though. Overcarbonated - actually a significant flaw here. Lightly grassy. A twinge of lemon zest, but nowhere near enough to really bring the citrusy refreshment that would make this a much better beer. A balanced but painfully simple brew that mostly achieves its meagre goals. I have no problems with it, but it falls fall short of greatness. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Dr: Something of a throwaway summer seasonal. I'm glad I tried it, but it's so pedestrian I'll have forgotten its name within a fortnight. A pleasant and drinkable beer, but overall a merely average one. The overcarbonation impedes drinkability. Won't be getting this one again, but I like the value. I'll happily go through my sixer, but New Belgium can do better.

C

04-19-2013 04:18:35 | More by kojevergas
DrunkenMonk

2.95/5  rDev -13%

From the bottle this poured a pale straw, almost clear color forming a good head.

The scent is a light hop. Subtle and barely noticable.

The taste is very light and watery. A bit of hops comes through as bitterness, which lingers on the pallet.

Overall, this is okay. Nothing special, but refreshing on a hot day. Though, in that situation I'd just as soon drink water.

05-15-2013 05:58:34 | More by DrunkenMonk
elNopalero

2.99/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This pours a pale golden color with thin foam. It’s appearance is remarkably similar to any number of pale, fizzy lagers and that, in conjunction with the aroma and flavor, is causing some review bias. Guilty by association? Even if I was tasting this blind I don’t think I’d find the aroma or flavor all that impressive. There’s a light scent of something akin to corn grits and what I can best describe as being vaguely “tropical”—it’s not hoppy, but it does have some of those tropical characters to it that I’ve found in tropical-hopped beers. If that makes any sense.

And hopefully it does because I find the flavor to have the same vague tropical fruit character. It doesn’t have anything to speak of in terms of a hop profile, much like those fizzy lagers, with a thin, sweet finish. Passable, a decent summer beer, but not one that stands out or invites revisiting.

04-11-2013 06:44:09 | More by elNopalero
Moose90

Colorado

2.99/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A – Pale, translucent, bright yellow body. Head is bright white and thin. Lacing is surprisingly nice.

S – Pretty reserved. Some notes of fresh lemon, and pale malts abound. Nothing too crazy and pretty boring.

T – Lightly malty, on top of a fruity and sweet base. Hops are boring and unassuming. No yeast comes through at all.

M – Crisp and clean, finish is just about non existent. This is refreshing, and adequate for a summer seasonal.

O – This is drinkable and quite bland. Maybe what NB thinks people will want for the summer months. But this one is so forgettable, nothing sticks with me from this brew. Bland, boring, and unassuming. Fine for summer for some folks I suppose.

04-19-2013 19:35:14 | More by Moose90
Boilerfood

Indiana

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Ale Brewed with Soursop and Monk Fruit. Best Before: 27 October 2013. Poured into a Teku.

A: Deep golden color. Thin, white head that disappears quickly.

S: Lots of grain up front. Slight fruit notes begin to come through once you really start to look for them. Cant place the source of the fruit, slightly tart smelling, almost like it was about to rot before it was tossed into the tank.

T: Not a lot of stuff going on here. There isnt really anything screaming Belgian Pale Ale to me. The fruit comes out on the end, still cant really place the flavor. I assume that is because I had to look up what Soursop and Monk Fruit were. Leaves a lingering, fruit flesh taste on the tongue. Similar to the flesh of fresh figs, without the sweetness that comes from the seedy interior.

M: Seems slightly over carbonated to me. There is a noticeable carbonation bite to it on the back end. This tends to blow out the very subtle flavors that are in the beer.

O: Meh. I think this is one of those beers that was over thought. Working with fruits that most people outside of South America and China are going to have palate knowledge strikes me as odd. Might be a decent beer for someone new to the craft category, but not something that is going to really excite the palate.

04-14-2013 12:52:10 | More by Boilerfood
thagr81us

3.05/5  rDev -10%

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured a hazy pale golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, wheat, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, earth, earth hop, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. In all honesty there really wasn’t that much going on in this one. The flavors were kind of muted and I almost had to bury my nose in my beer to get much off the aroma. It was semi-refreshing though as it was quite light on the palate. Decent brew to have while hanging out around the pool, but if you have the option for something else, I would go for it. But that is just me.

09-13-2013 18:19:06 | More by thagr81us
lawlerj

Nebraska

3.14/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a pale yellow w/ a white head.

S - A little bready, a little fruity, a little sweet.

T - Definitely bready, wiht some fruity notes in the mix. Not a ton of flavor going on here. A bit disapointing.

M - light and crisp.

O - Overall, I was hoping for a lot more flavor. It was ok, just not quite what I expected.

06-22-2013 00:54:49 | More by lawlerj
bradb717

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Overall the beer is ok.
I mean it is summery, looks and smells good, but I was looking for more flavor.
They do go down ok, and the aftertaste is better than the upfront weirdness.
I mean meh.
The problem is that new belgium has better showings than this.

08-24-2013 00:21:39 | More by bradb717
kristenspaintings

3.19/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is something that grew on me as I drank it. I wasn't quite ready for the sour taste but after a few sips I started to enjoy the flavor more. It's fair that it "soursop" and "monkfruit" on the label. I should have read that before I sipped. Really though, it's a good seasonal beer. I's be thoughtful about what I'd pair it with and I'd probably drink it again although there are many other beers I'd choose first.

08-17-2013 23:47:46 | More by kristenspaintings
estlinska

Arkansas

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Served on tap into a standard shaker on 4/17/13 at The Saucer. Poured a pale straw color like a slightly underrippened lemon. There was very thin head to the beer, but left pretty good lacing to the glass. Light was completely penetrant; looked quite juicy. Didn't really smell that way though. The nose was pretty grainy and there was definitely a strong white bread smell to it. There was some spicy and fruity hops to the nose as well, but it was quite delicate. Very clean smell overall though. The taste was again just a Wonderbread flavor with just the very slightest of some spiciness and maybe some earthy feel to it. It was pretty sweet too. The mouthfeel was heavy on carbonation, very sweet, but also finished pretty dry. I'm kinda scratching my head at this one. The Somersault was a really awesome summer seasonal, and this is the replacement. Maybe my disappointment in not getting Somersault as my summer seasonal is coloring my review, but I was just not overly impressed with this one.

04-19-2013 23:03:54 | More by estlinska
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

BBD of Aug 18 2013, part of mixed sixer

Pours an effervescent gold & a pinky of pearl colored head. Nice head retention & lacing

S: Pears, jammy notes, grassy & golden delicious apples

T: Follows the nose, plus grassyness, plus a touch of wet cornflakes & faint hints of lime up front. Over-ripe pears, a touch of coriander & white grape juice as this warms, plus a bit of green banana & pineapple. Finishes sweet, dry, grassy & faint grainyness, along with pears & slight kiss of ginger

MF: Light bodied, fairly vigirous carbonation, skews fruitty

Drinks easy, but too sweet & fruitty for my tastes

06-07-2013 04:49:04 | More by russpowell
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz bottle.

A: Clear straw body under a finger of dense white head that leaves great lace. Nice.

S: Heavily toasted malt is dominant, with a bit of spice and some floral hops. Pretty boring.

T: Fruitier here, with apricot and citrus alongside the toast and light hoppiness. Heavier sweetness toward the finish, alongside some herbal bitterness. Not terribly Belgian, not terribly good.

M: Creamy light-to-medium body with plenty of carbonation. Excellent.

O: Definitely not what I have in mind when craving a BPA, but not a bad beer.

Cheers!

06-21-2013 03:20:51 | More by woosterbill
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Best by Sep 01, 2013:

Into a chalice (and a snifter, no change):

A: half finger semi-white head concaves gently into the body leaving a soapy looking bubbly lacing, hazy yellow colored body

S: faint grainy grass, a little wheat, lemon, and other citrus - is that what monkfruit smells like - alright, no yeast

T: slightly bitter yet sour but also slightly sweet through the wheat and citrus fruits, dry citrus aftertaste and finish, once again no yeast anywhere

M: light, sessionable, carbonation seems to be good for the style and for me - not harsh, but not watery

O: hmm.... interesting take on a Belgian Pale Ale as no yeast is found anywhere throughout the five beers that I've had, I have one more and am thinking if anything changes, I'll be sure to note, until then, uh... I'd probably have this again for me, but true Belgian beer fans might want to steer clear of this one

08-04-2013 01:19:54 | More by BeerKangaroo
chinchill

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle - $1.69 - dated Best Before: 15Sept.2013. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: This ale looks like a typical lager, with a pale yellow body and a smallish white head.

Smell: This ale does NOT smell like a typical lager. Instead, there are notes of soursop and monkfruit - honestly, I don't know what either of these ingredients smell like, but the aroma is certainly unusual and these are likely suspects. Hints of lemon pith and light biscuits. More odd and interesting than appealing.

Taste: Lightly tart, bitter and fruity, with the odd flavors I again suspect stem from the use of soursop and monkfruit.

Mouthfeel: Near medium body. Medium carbonation. Dry, crisp, clean finish.

Overall: A distinct, intriquely and lightly fruity ale. Not sweet but instead mildly tart with a bit of bitterness.

06-17-2013 23:53:01 | More by chinchill
vkv822

Oregon

3.28/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz : tulip
Best Before: Sep. 8, 2013

Pours a fairly clear, pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to leave a thin film across the surface and some light lacing.

Fruity, slightly vinous almost?

Fairly well balanced between bready malts and lightly sweety, fruity notes. Again the faintly tart, or vinous notes come through in the finish. I'm guessing this is either the monk fruit or soursop?

Medium+ body with light foamy carbonation.

A pleasant beer, though it doesn't necessarily fit the Belgian pale ale style in my opinion.

07-10-2013 08:31:49 | More by vkv822