Blue Paddle Pilsner - New Belgium Brewing

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-18-2001

Reviews: 399 | Hads: 1,215
2.34/5  rDev -35.4%

Reviewed 06/22/10
Light golden straw. No head. continuous bubbles from etching in glass. Superb clarity. Smells a touch skunky over the base of straw scented malts. Bitter pilsner flavor. Taste is a bit too bitter for a good pilsner style, more like a kolsch. (259 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -34%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a clear straw, forming a very thin 1/4 inch head, that faded quickly, leaving very light lacing on the glass. The aroma is extremely skunky. Unfortunately, that is all I can detect. The taste is a light balance of hops and malts. Nothing that really stands out. Light mouthfeel. Overall, its an easy beer to drink, but far from enjoyable. The smell is terrible, and the taste is anything but great. I would recommend looking elsewhere for a German style pilsner. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but if this is the what it normally tastes like, I wont be trying this again. (629 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -30.4%

Served in a bottle poured in a pint glass.

A- Very transparent yellow color with about two+ finger width's of head.

S- Very light hop and malt scents. Very close to not really having that much of a scent, but there is a slight presence of both in the aroma. Also has somewhat of a yeast-like scent.

T- If there is one thing I can say for certain about the taste it's that it is a little sweet. Wouldn't really say that is too malty or hoppy. Sort of a bland yeast like taste.

M- Bland flavor makes it a smooth beer. Definitely not too bitter or malty.

D- It's fairly drinkable, but a little too bland for me.

Overall it's too bland of a beer for me. (656 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -29.3%

This beer pours golden with a half finger of white head. Visually, the beer looks highly carbonated as I can see bubbles rising. The only thing I can smell is yeast. The taste is rather disappointing. It tastes like a standard pilsener, which I wouldn't expect from New Belgium. I only get light to moderate hop and slight yeast flavors. It does differ from a standard pilsener though because it is not incredibly thin feeling. It isn't full bodied, but it isn't Budweiser either. The drinkability on this is pretty low. I really wasn't that impressed. (552 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -29%

Appearance: Golden, with a white head and lace that clung to the glass. Also noticed some carbonation (bubbles).
Smell: Slightly hoppy with floral notes, nothing over powering, which I think is good.
Taste: Noticeable hops, no dominant flavor profile.
Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and carbonated, and crisp.
Drinkability: Its o.k., but for some reason I thought to myself, I'd rather have a Bud.

Final Thoughts: IMO, just an average beer. The most disappointing product I have had from New Belgium thus far. (519 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -28.5%

Wow, what a thick moussy head. Two fingers worth that could nearly form peaks like beat egg whites. I could see the texture of the beer swirling and convecting within my icy glass.

I didn't smell the usual hoppiness, nor did I taste it, until the very last sip. What a light beer. The smokiness left on the palate was characteristically New Belgium, but the pilsener itself is rather atypical. Perhaps this is a ploy to get "big 3" drinkers interested in beer.

I could have easily chugged several glasses, but it didn't quite hit the spot. (541 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I had this on draught today at New Belgium's brewery in Fort Collins, CO.
Appearnce: This pours clear yellow with a white head.
Aroma: there is a grassy, hoppy aroma that I detected
Flavor: It had a very dry, flat flavor. OK, I didn't like it that much. I guess I'm not a big pilsener fan. I'd advise sticking w/ their Belgian styles (337 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -27.1%

12oz bottle into pilsner glass, best by Jan 5, 2007.

Appearance was the only good part of this beer. Crystal clear straw yellow with a well presented head and strong lacing. Off-white, settles to a thin cap. Good lacing all the way down the glass.

Faint glass smell consiting of noble hops and malts. Very low hop smell for a pilsner.

Hop bitterness can be felt more than tasted. Allows room the for the light bread-like malty flavors to appear.

Light bodied with high carbonation and a slightly dry finish from the light hop flavor. Slightly disapointing, as I expected more hop character out of this. The dry finish with low hop flavor lowers the drinkability. (674 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -25.1%

Splurged on almost two full cases of mixed New Belgium beer on my vacation to Arkansas. Bought this, sunshine, skinny dip, La Folie, 1554, the Abbey, and Tripel. Thats all they had at the stores in my local Arkie area.

I've never seen a thick consistent head on any other pilsner before. Great bubbling and thick lacing to boot. The best looking pilsner I've had up to this point. But the smell didn't match the pleasant sight. Pretty musky for what was expected to be a well crafted New Belgium brew. No clean or crisp definition of the malts or hops. The flavor was slightly better than your Miller or Bud. Drinakable. Yet not what you expected from a brewery. (666 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: great clarity, yellow color (darker than most German pilsners I've had), foamy thick head

Aroma: fresh bread, biscuity aromas, earthiness,

Taste: pretty standard taste, but heavier on the malt side than most German pilsners I've had, no real bite to the finish that I was hoping for, tastes like fresh bread, not enough bitterness on the finish or enough carbonation

Mouthfeel: a little flat, medium light body

Overall: not a great example of a good German Pilsner I think. Too malty, not enough carbonation, and not enough hop bitterness to balance the finish. Good for a cookout because you can get it for cheap and anywhere in the US, but this one won't impress too many guests. (692 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This poured to a very light and crisp looking lager gold. There was quite a bit of carbonation, but the head was very small. Regardless, it persists and leaves a nice lace. The taste is crisp, but not very exciting. It almost tastes like there's a hint of out-of-place citrus in there. The mouthfeel is very light thanks to the carbonation.

I don't think I'd go out of my way to obtain it. (392 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -23.8%

Into a pint glass. Finger of head, light clear straw colored body.
Smells doughy and like pine tree resin. It's a little off-putting to me.
Malty taste (for a lager), mild bitterness at the end, short finish.
Light body, fairly low carbonation.
Pretty average, except for the smell. Good for a summer day. (308 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -22.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours a crystal clear pale yellow with a good sized frothy white head that goes to a film that laces the glass.

The aroma is earthy grains.

The flavor is sweet malts then a grainy hoppiness and a crisp and lightly bitter finish. There are some sour notes in there too. The mouthfeel is on the light side...a bit watery but fairly smooth.

Overall, not too exciting but a decent brew. (405 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured a big fluffy white head atop a beautiful gold beer with good head retention i think this on has a little bit of Carapils malt in it to achieve this. Aroma is extremely light and the only thing i can detect is a little toasty bread. Taste has a definite saaz hop character with a very mild malt balance that gets bolder after each sip. Body is pretty good for the style though it is a little light and tends to make the hop flavors subside quickly. I would much rather have a Trippel for the same price or at least a Pine Mountain Pils from Deschutes. (557 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a crystal clear yellow color under a lumpy, pure white head of fluffy foam. Webby lacing. Appears pretty well carbonated. Weak, clean, dusty grain aroma. Pretty much nothing from the hops department. Grassy, lightly spiced flavor over crispy cracker grain with a slight, fine sweetness. Quite crisp and dry, perhaps a bit too much, though it could just be in contrast to the overall mildness of the rest of the beer. Light bodied with a bitter finish. Far from awful, just sort of lacking. (495 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -20.7%

I found this beer to be lightly sweet and sticky, and struck me as quite similar to New Glarus Spotted Cow, of which I am not a huge fan.

This beer poured a dull yellow with a fair amount of white head. Aroma was citrusy with a lightly sweet aroma. Flavor is acidic tasting with lots of citrus notes. Much more like a Spotted Cow than I expected. Mouthfeel is a bit harsh and slightly sticky. Can't say I'd recommend this. (425 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Acquired as part of the New Belgium Summer variety box (2013) at my local Von's grocery on Sunday. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average; New Belgium tends to churn out underwhelming seasonals (with the definite exception of their winter variety box) and piss-poor bombers (Lips of Faith). "Pilsner Lager." Nothing on the bottle suggests it's a Czech pilsener rather than a German pilsener. Best before November 2013. 4.8% ABV confirmed. Serve at 3 degrees Celsius. I always like their simple label art and colorful designs. Bottle cap is branded with a red and orange motif.

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger head of white/beige colour. No real creaminess. Okay thickness; it's kind of thin, actually. No lacing. Pretty decent (~3 minute) retention, though the ABV is rather modest so that shouldn't be difficult to execute. Hm. Head could use some honing. No bubble show. No "legs."

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow. No yeast particles are visible.

Typical of a German pilsner. Not looking fantastic, but it's passable. No overt flaws, though the head does disappoint. Below average vibrance but I wouldn't call it dull.

Sm: Straw/hay. Saaz and noble hops. It's actually surprisingly hoppy for the style. Clean barley. Sweetgrass. Grainy. Cereals. Lightly fruity, a biteen of lemon/lemongrass does sneak in. Lightly estery. A misty aroma of surprisingly respectably quality for the style; maybe this won't be as underwhelming as I thought. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. A fresh aroma of moderate strength.

T/Mf: Straw/hay, pilsner malts, clean barley, and overdone saaz and noble hops. Not much going on here. Sweet grassiness with some light lemongrass and accompanying esters. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Some light floral character. Simple and underwhelming; little complexity or subtlety here.

To sweet for the style. I wouldn't call it flavorful.

It's crisp and clean. Smooth, but somewhat dry as well. Unrefreshing. Overcarbonated. Decent presence on the palate. Okay thickness; probably too thick considering the style. Doesn't feel at all custom-tailored to the flavour profile, but it's passable.

Not buttery, oily, harsh, biting, or refreshing.

Dr: Downable but mediocre. Another mundane effort from New Belgium. I wouldn't get it again, but for the price you could do worse for a czech pilsener. I'm happy to finish the bottles from the variety box, but there's just nothing interesting enough to bring me back. Feels careless and lazy. Not recommended. Very average indeed.

(2,801 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured a pale straw color with remarkable transparency, has two fingers of craggy soapy head with some lacing, very minimal aroma, just a bare whisper of pale malts and that's it. Tastes like a grainy melange of cracker and pilsner malts, but plays out to my palate as more of a Czech pilsner in terms of the bittering style than a German Pils. What I mean by this, is that it has a consistent medium level of standard bittering throughout all aspects of the sip for me, and does finish up rather dry compared to most German Pilsners. Also, there is a metallic component that creeps in towards the end. Body and carbonation levels are light and unassuming, perhaps could use a slight boost in carbonation.
If it wasn't for that weird metallic off flavor in the finish, I would have called this a better than average Czech-styled pils. But because of it, it only comes across as average. (916 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky Piss Yellow with a thin skim and minute carbonation.

Strong aroma of chicken sate or chicken bouillon.

Taste is mild and light with just hints of hops and malts. Subtle lemon like finish.

Mouthfeel has a wonderful bitter finish. Hops are felt more than tasted. Salty. Biting and only nominally crisp.

Drinkability: This is dull and lacks the crispness and dryness that I desire in a Pilsener.

Very poor example of the style. (447 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -18.8%

"Once an ale house...."

Blue Paddle pours soda-pop bubbly, and emits an aroma quite like a yeast under duress during lagering--sulphury and a tad autolyzed. Stylistically, it tastes like a golden ale (micro, not Belgian). While the hop profile is quite an appropriate snap-to-form for this brew, it's meandering fermentation leaves it flat--somwhere between Cologne and Dortmund. (382 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Acquired via trade. I have never really been a fan of the style and this one didn't really change my mind on the matter. Pours a light gold color with a medium thin off-white head and rather lively carbonation. Not much lacing to speak of. Aroma is actually rather pleasant, delivering a nice crisp hops, citrus and malt experience to the nose. Unfortunately the flavor did not match up to the aroma. I found this to be a little harsh flavor-wise, and not as clean as I was hoping. Hops flavor was nice but there was something off in the mix. Dry finish. Okay but New Belgium has better to offer. (596 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Slow poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Bottle looks sort of old school but not bad. A cheap yellow with a head that sticks around. One of the best smelling beers I've had in a long time. Bear is like a twin of MHL without the carbonation with a pale taste at the end. (275 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crystal clear straw yellow color with a solid foam of white head.
Smell is lighted yeasted with an ok hop note.
Taste is fairly simplistic. A text book Pilsener-which is a positive note but the bready quality is not full.
Finish is clean but it has the after-taste of the Gaterade Power Water.
Drinks ok, and I would enjoy this on a hot summer day-just a bit pricey for a Miller Lite clone in a nicer bottle.

Fiance says its "meh" drinkable but she would not buy this again. (483 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

I have grown to be a bit leery of New Belgium products. While the Triple is excellent, they have several like the Flat Tire that are highly overrated. The Blue Paddle Pilsner falls into the category of overhyped beer. It is a very basic brew being paraded as something special.

It has a nice golden hue but also that grassy nose similar to Heineken and other mainstream imports. There is a bit of chewiness to the flavor and it is a good crisp, drinking beer but it is very non-distinctive. The label promotes it as "reflective of Europe's finest pilsners". I've noted before that it reminds me more of Heineken than of Christofel Blonde so I would be curious to know what they regard as a fine pilsner. (707 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

I am not a huge lager fan and this beer proves my point. Nothing that really stands out about this one. I loved the Prima Pils but this offering from New Belgium comes nowhere close. It's just your typical, thin, watery, minimal flavors. I do enjoy some of there other beers but this one is just way too average for my liking. (326 characters)

Blue Paddle Pilsner from New Belgium Brewing