Blue Paddle Pilsner - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-18-2001)
2.55/5  rDev -28%

Appearance: Golden, with a white head and lace that clung to the glass. Also noticed some carbonation (bubbles).
Smell: Slightly hoppy with floral notes, nothing over powering, which I think is good.
Taste: Noticeable hops, no dominant flavor profile.
Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and carbonated, and crisp.
Drinkability: Its o.k., but for some reason I thought to myself, I'd rather have a Bud.

Final Thoughts: IMO, just an average beer. The most disappointing product I have had from New Belgium thus far.

BigRedN, Dec 30, 2003
2.55/5  rDev -28%

Wow, what a thick moussy head. Two fingers worth that could nearly form peaks like beat egg whites. I could see the texture of the beer swirling and convecting within my icy glass.

I didn't smell the usual hoppiness, nor did I taste it, until the very last sip. What a light beer. The smokiness left on the palate was characteristically New Belgium, but the pilsener itself is rather atypical. Perhaps this is a ploy to get "big 3" drinkers interested in beer.

I could have easily chugged several glasses, but it didn't quite hit the spot.

musicman575, Oct 06, 2010
2.57/5  rDev -27.4%

DenverHopHead, Jul 26, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I had this on draught today at New Belgium's brewery in Fort Collins, CO.
Appearnce: This pours clear yellow with a white head.
Aroma: there is a grassy, hoppy aroma that I detected
Flavor: It had a very dry, flat flavor. OK, I didn't like it that much. I guess I'm not a big pilsener fan. I'd advise sticking w/ their Belgian styles

jcalabre, Aug 27, 2003
2.6/5  rDev -26.6%

This beer pours golden with a half finger of white head. Visually, the beer looks highly carbonated as I can see bubbles rising. The only thing I can smell is yeast. The taste is rather disappointing. It tastes like a standard pilsener, which I wouldn't expect from New Belgium. I only get light to moderate hop and slight yeast flavors. It does differ from a standard pilsener though because it is not incredibly thin feeling. It isn't full bodied, but it isn't Budweiser either. The drinkability on this is pretty low. I really wasn't that impressed.

drseamus, Dec 23, 2006

butlermattj, Sep 06, 2014
2.63/5  rDev -25.7%

12oz bottle into pilsner glass, best by Jan 5, 2007.

Appearance was the only good part of this beer. Crystal clear straw yellow with a well presented head and strong lacing. Off-white, settles to a thin cap. Good lacing all the way down the glass.

Faint glass smell consiting of noble hops and malts. Very low hop smell for a pilsner.

Hop bitterness can be felt more than tasted. Allows room the for the light bread-like malty flavors to appear.

Light bodied with high carbonation and a slightly dry finish from the light hop flavor. Slightly disapointing, as I expected more hop character out of this. The dry finish with low hop flavor lowers the drinkability.

BeerSox, Sep 10, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This poured to a very light and crisp looking lager gold. There was quite a bit of carbonation, but the head was very small. Regardless, it persists and leaves a nice lace. The taste is crisp, but not very exciting. It almost tastes like there's a hint of out-of-place citrus in there. The mouthfeel is very light thanks to the carbonation.

I don't think I'd go out of my way to obtain it.

watermelonman, Mar 08, 2004

Ludy, Apr 20, 2014

zenithberwyn, Jul 04, 2013

Whiskeydeez, Feb 01, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

Splurged on almost two full cases of mixed New Belgium beer on my vacation to Arkansas. Bought this, sunshine, skinny dip, La Folie, 1554, the Abbey, and Tripel. Thats all they had at the stores in my local Arkie area.

I've never seen a thick consistent head on any other pilsner before. Great bubbling and thick lacing to boot. The best looking pilsner I've had up to this point. But the smell didn't match the pleasant sight. Pretty musky for what was expected to be a well crafted New Belgium brew. No clean or crisp definition of the malts or hops. The flavor was slightly better than your Miller or Bud. Drinakable. Yet not what you expected from a brewery.

scruffwhor, Aug 29, 2006

soonerlight, Oct 10, 2012

Sludgeman, Mar 02, 2013

iKrystin, Jun 16, 2012

joseph_french, Mar 02, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

Into a pint glass. Finger of head, light clear straw colored body.
Smells doughy and like pine tree resin. It's a little off-putting to me.
Malty taste (for a lager), mild bitterness at the end, short finish.
Light body, fairly low carbonation.
Pretty average, except for the smell. Good for a summer day.

Fatehunter, Oct 14, 2012