Pumpkick - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerWizard on 07-30-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,014 | Reviews: 142
3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.39/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I was out visiting a friend in Ann Arbor, MI recently when I spied this on the shelf with my little eye. Never having had one and intrigued by both the upgraded label and the idea of cranberry juice in a pumpkin, I pulled the trigger and brought it back with me.

From the bottle: "What's that bite of tartness doing in a pumpkin beer? Adding the unexpected kick of cranberry juice to brighten this traditionally spiced seasonal ale. PUMPKICK is brewed with plenty of pumpkin juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, but it's the cranberries and touch of lemongrass that'll have you hunt[ing] and pecking for more."

I Pop!ped the cap and began a somewhat gentle pour since I was unsure if there might be any lees. I need not have worried as I still got just over a finger of dense, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of vanilla, molasses, brown sugar, maple syrup and a tartness that I would not have otherwise been able to identify as cranberry juice. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was mostly sweet - vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, but with a tart note running through the middle of it. I wonder what inspired the brewers to include cranberry juice. It certainly made it a different pumpkin beer than so many of the others that I have tried. I really overdid it last year, but this revived my interest in the style. Finish was semi-dry with the combination of the spices and the cranberry juice working in tandem to dry it out, but while still retaining some of the initial sweetness.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.49/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.79/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Amber in color with 1/2 finger of head. Smell is sweet fruit but nothing really discernable. Taste is pumpkin up front with a mix of flavors in the middle and bitter lemon at the end. An ok beer but there are much better pumpkin beers available.

3.66/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

2.42/5  rDev -28.6%

Just not a very good beer

2.94/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, golden/orange color with a half of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed wispy clouds that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department, either that or I’m stuffed up. I get very faint notes of malt, brown sugar, and a little bit of pumpkin, but nothing in the way of hops.

Taste: Interesting. Much more sour than I was expecting from a pumpkin beer, even more sour than the other pumpkin beers that I’ve had that have included some sourness to their profiles. There is some maltiness with this beer as well as some sweetness, but the sourness just overpowers everything. Not balanced at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, but with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 6.0%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is only an OK beer. I’m a big fan of New Belgium, in fact, Fat Tire, Abbey, and 1554 are three of my favorite beers, but I’m not a fan of this beer. In my opinion, there’s no balance here at all, the sourness of this beer just overpowers everything, and I can’t taste much of the malt or sweetness. Sour fans will probably love this beer, but alas, I do not. Sorry New Belgium, this one was a strike out for me.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.14/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.96/5  rDev -12.7%

3.73/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance - 4/5
A clear dark orange color (when held up to a bright light, it's a fantastically brilliant pumpkin orange), with about 1 finger of head upon initial pour, dies down within a minute or so. Can essentially see no carbonation rising through the beer. Normally I like to see a lot of carbonation rising in my beer, but the fact that there is so little in this beer actually makes me intrigued. It makes the beer look super tranquil.

Smell - 4.15/5
Strong nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin smells. The cinnamon seems most prominent. Smells like a nice creamy pumpkin pie.

Taste - 4.2/5
Sweet malts, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, a tiny bit of hops. Has a bit of a juicy feel to it...I assume this is from the added cranberry juice. I really like how I can still taste the malts in this beer. Given the strength of the aroma, I was really worried about the spices overpowering this beer, but that turned out to not be the case. So many pumpkin ales are just overpowered by the fall spices. But this beer seems like a really nice balance between malty beer taste, and the fall spices. I am really happy with the taste.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
The beer is medium bodied. The carbonation is very light. The beer is nice and creamy, although near the end of the sip there is a more crispy carbonation kick. I think the beer could use a tiny bit more carbonation.

Overall - 4.1/5
Overall, I was very happy with this beer. The color, aroma, and taste of this beer are great. And the beer has great balance in the taste. Normally I don't like New Belgium beers very much, but this one is an exception.

3.99/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pumpkick from New Belgium Brewing